Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion part 2 , No Purple Jumpers Allowed !!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭French Toast

Footballers here with lots of huffing and puffing with little to show for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭letowski

Feenie wrote: »
    Not much to take? we showed huge improvements in my opinion. Very happy with that win.

Yeah there was good improvement, although Laois were truely horrendous. I mean more it's a hard game to judge when the opposition basically don't even play a full forward line for large parts and pack the backline.

I taught SOD was our best player and interestingly from wing forward. Lohan in his interview after the match (below) seemed very happy with how he played. I think we will see him there again. Getting Galvin back was good to see. Rodgers flashing quality. McCarthy going well (when playing out the field), Malone, Browne and Ryan were good too. Conlon was more involved. Full back line wasn't tested at all, but I'd like to see Aaron Fitz start the next day to see what he can bring, he looked tidy in possession anyway. Both Jason McCarthy and Shane Golden failed to take their chances at midfield. Reidy and Ian Galvin were just ok. Reidy may come under pressure now if SOD is playing on the 40 going forward. its also interesting that Ryan Taylor is out of favour with Lohan after playing poorly against Antrim and coming off the bench against Wexford.

Good to get the win all the same. The Dublin game in a fortnight will be a good test for us. Hopefully we can win our last two games and bring some momentum to the championship, especially with Waterford and Tipp having good wins this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭French Toast

Footballers here with lots of huffing and puffing with little to show for it.

Ahead by 1 now. Two great points kicked from way out by Cleary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭formerlyET

What's the story with Tony Kelly?

formerlyET wrote: »
    What's the story with Tony Kelly?

Dead leg last week, will be back training later next week. He will be available for the next round against Dublin in a fortnight.

David McInerney on the other hand had a set back on his return from a quad injury last week. I get the feeling he is in a race to be fit for the championship. But hopefully he will be back soon.

• Advertisement

If I had to guess how we will line out against Waterford, I think it will be along the lines of this:

Quillian
    Hayes - Cleary - Aaron Fitz*
    Browne - Conlon - Ryan
    C. Galvin - Davy Mc**
    Malone - A. McCarthy - SOD
    Shanagher - I. Galvin*** - Kelly

*Corner back spot is still an open competition between Aaron Fitz, Liam Corry and possibly Paddy Donnellan.
    ** David McInerney to start subject to fitness.
    *** Reidy is a starter right now in the forwards, but his place is under threat as he isn't playing too well and SOD looks like he will be playing the half forward line going forward. This also factoring in that surely Lohan will stop putting McCarthy full forward. I think Reidy will be the odd man out on the 40. So I think those will be the 6 forwards, though I can see Rodgers pushing Ian Galvin for a place. Taylor is out of favour right now.

I think Quilligan, Hayes, Cleary, Conlon, Ryan, Malone, Kelly, McCarthy, Shanagher and SOD are pretty much secured their place in the championship team. Browne is on the verge as well. Davy Mc pending fitness and Colm Galvin has a place there for him at midfield if he returns to form. Corner back and the last place in the forwards are the only 2 spots up for grabs really imo. I dont see Lohan moving Conlon out of centre back at this stage, even though I think its a mistake personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭finbarrk

caddy16 wrote: »
    Great win for the footballers. With Brennan retiring and Fitz going with the hurlers 2 wins out of 2 is really positive and a small bit surprising.

It was a great result indeed. Eoin Cleary has played 2 great games now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

3 out of 4 wins this weekend, great for the banner, although if some people were to be listed to, we still had a ****e weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

https://twitter.com/officialwexgaa/status/1396768707423076353?s=21

What a load of **** from Wexford. How did the HSE officials know who was marking who. Embarrassing and laughable statement. If the players didn’t nominate the close contact maybe it was a certain few members of the Wexford management team.

Lohan was very angry with the whole affair going by his interview yesterday and once again Clare gaa are hiding away from backing the manager.

Is Brian Lohan getting stitched up here?

The statement issued by county board PRO Michael O’Connor reads:

Clare GAA asked the two players who were deemed close contacts last week to step back from training and game activity once they were named and as a consequence have to isolate for the intervening 10 days from notification. Following voluntary testing of the two nominated Clare players they were deemed to be negative but will still be isolating.
    At all times Clare GAA teams adhere to the guidelines laid down by the HSE and the governing body of our sport. Clare GAA will take on board at all times the advice and support provided by the health authorities. Clare GAA will endeavour to ensure the strictest management of health and safety during Covid and non-Covid times for all Clare GAA teams and request that the clubs of the county do likewise as we now move into the playing season at levels.
    Clare GAA would like to wish the Wexford players a speedy recovery and finally congratulations our senior footballers and hurlers on their league wins yesterday in Newbridge and Portlaoise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭ElNino

That is a joke of a statement. Croke Park need to get involved now and demand an explanation from the HSE as this incident has potentially serious ramifications for every club and county in the country. It would be terrible to see the outcome of club or inter-county championship games affected by something like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

https://twitter.com/officialwexgaa/status/1396768707423076353?s=21

What a load of **** from Wexford. How did the HSE officials know who was marking who. Embarrassing and laughable statement. If the players didn’t nominate the close contact maybe it was a certain few members of the Wexford management team.

Lohan was very angry with the whole affair going by his interview yesterday and once again Clare gaa are hiding away from backing the manager.

That's such horse **** you are asked to provide names of close contacts if you have any, has happened me twice where I got a call from the hse to say I'd been named as a close contact...

Wouldn't expect anything else from Davy to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭bonzothedog

Yes this is all Davy, Wexford should be thrown out of the league for this because of him.

Poisonous

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I can't understand why he would bring this up, we had a good win without the 2 players and have a break weekend coming up so it's a non-event, I wonder if it was a non-Wexford team would Lohan had mentioned it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Poor out of Lohan to mention a Wexford player coming on as a sub in a specific minute, essentially naming the player surely a GDPR/medical privacy issue.

Clareman wrote: »
    I can't understand why he would bring this up, we had a good win without the 2 players and have a break weekend coming up so it's a non-event, I wonder if it was a non-Wexford team would Lohan had mentioned it?

Because he is without those players for 10 days now. Obviously one is a very young prospect and maybe would have liked to have got him more game time in a game against Laois. It can also set a precedent for future games at both county and club level

Poor out of Lohan to mention a Wexford player coming on as a sub in a specific minute, essentially naming the player surely a GDPR/medical privacy issue.

FFS are you serious?

It was a scurillous thing to do, by bringing it up he highlighted it. What if during the summer the same thing were to happen? Only one man capable in hurling of even coming up with this ****..

Bitter and twisted, too long indulged in these parts by his hombres.

FFS are you serious?
    100% serious you shouldn't be that specific as I said with GDPR etc. probably heat of the moment stuff like John Kiely accusing Galway of diving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭Grats

100% serious you shouldn't be that specific as I said with GDPR etc. probably heat of the moment stuff like John Kiely accusing Galway of diving.

Anybody reading Wexford forum on Hoganstand would be well aware of the Wexford players involved. Their names are there for everybody to read since the middle of last week. In addition, other media platforms mentioned the Club where it originated, therefore just look at the county players from that Club and you have the names.

I don't condone names been released.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Personally I'd prefer if we could concentrate on getting things right on the pitch rather than bringing up gripes with the Fitz's, when we were beaten by Antrim & Wexford Lohan didn't say anything, we beat Laois and he brings up the past game and alludes to a conspiracy that Davy Fitz has power over the HSE.

Personally I'd prefer if we could concentrate on getting things right on the pitch rather than bringing up gripes with the Fitz's, when we were beaten by Antrim & Wexford Lohan didn't say anything, we beat Laois and he brings up the past game and alludes to a conspiracy that Davy Fitz has power over the HSE.

I don't think there's a conspiracy that Davy has power over the HSE.

I think the question being asked is, why were two Clare players listed as close contacts of Wexford players?

Are Wexford GAA suggesting that the HSE did their own research and listed the players without Wexford players or staff input?

The next question that arises now, is why are Clare GAA trying to undercut their manager? And the next question after that is, how long before Davy is back over Clare? Next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Figerty

formerlyET wrote: »
    I don't think there's a conspiracy that Davy has power over the HSE.

I think the question being asked is, why were two Clare players listed as close contacts of Wexford players?

Are Wexford GAA suggesting that the HSE did their own research and listed the players without Wexford players or staff input?

The next question that arises now, is why are Clare GAA trying to undercut their manager? And the next question after that is, how long before Davy is back over Clare? Next year?

Daly was pretty straight this in the Examiner as well. The Anti Davy mood is growing and he knows it. it was fairly obvious on the TV that Henry Shefflin and others see this as a tactic, and that a club level this could get out of hand. Does anyone here think that Davy wouldn't pull this tactic in a championship round robin championship if it worked that way.

The reality is that someone in the HSE got this wrong unless those players were actually hanging after the match or some internal enviroment.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭caddy16

You do realise this impacts the two Clare players outside of hurling?

Grats wrote: »
    Anybody reading Wexford forum on Hoganstand would be well aware of the Wexford players involved. Their names are there for everybody to read since the middle of last week. In addition, other media platforms mentioned the Club where it originated, therefore just look at the county players from that Club and you have the names.

I don't condone names been released.
    wouldn't be appropriate for those Wexford lads to be posting it either but it is what it is.

Well he was hardly going to complain about this issue before it happened!! No this whole episode stinks and a light needs to be focussed on Davy Pat and the arse lickers in the county board who let 22 Wexford staff into Cusack Park as well which breaks the regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭jackboy

I wouldn’t blame Lohan for any of this, he is massively out of his depth. This is politics, not hurling.

https://twitter.com/dlynchsport/status/1396905093446897664?s=21

Not sure our county board can get any more embarrassing. Complete and utter laughing stock. How are the clubs not challenging them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Figerty

jackboy wrote: »
    I wouldn’t blame Lohan for any of this, he is massively out of his depth. This is politics, not hurling.

This isn't politics. This is about 4 levels below politics. We are in to Eastern European tactics at this stage from the the little dictator.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭shockframe

This must be destroying whatever goodwill existed towards the Fitzgeralds in Clare.

Outside of Cork its hard to remember more disastrous publicity in recent times.

Advertisement