Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2019/2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Fog and clear patches on Sat Pic showing up well across the country earlier today.

z9ZIjkb.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Bit foggy this morning in cork city but not as bad as what we had two weeks ago or so. Had drizzle this morning till about 12ish when it dries up. Stayed cloudy all day though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

The fog is gone,.

Returned with a vengeance here earlier this evening but seems to be thinning out again now.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Returned with a vengeance here earlier this evening but seems to be thinning out again now.
    Yeah it was quite bad on some sections of the Motorway to Tuam tonight, but it thinned out after arriving in Tuam

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Watching the weather after the nine news, this evening. Gerry Murphy said it was dry everywhere today and proceeded to show the radar. Whereas in reality here in Donegal it was damp and rained for most of the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭alentejo

As a cyclist, I have enjoyed the recent calm and dry weather. Back to the howling wind and rain next week :(

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Pangea wrote: »
    Watching the weather after the nine news, this evening. Gerry Murphy said it was dry everywhere today and proceeded to show the radar. Whereas in reality here in Donegal it was damp and rained for most of the day.

I lived in Donegal many years and well remember that attitude to the county..Now I am offshore with the same phenomenon so it was good training..

Utterly . breathlessly still and silent. A welcome hiatus in wind and rain … Sheer pleasure while the respite lasts... So rare this peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Same again here today, Misty rain yet the weather radar shows all clear. Too fine to show up on the radar I guess but yet very wettening, goes to show you that you cant always rely on technology.

Lovely dazzling sunshine out here now! The second day this week no need to light the fire as the sun through the windows is enough.. Yesterday it got far too hot in here.. Bliss! Ocean dazzling and calm, birds in raptures.. Calm enough to wander outside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,871 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Graces7 wrote: »
    Lovely dazzling sunshine out here now! The second day this week no need to light the fire as the sun through the windows is enough.. Yesterday it got far too hot in here.. Bliss! Ocean dazzling and calm, birds in raptures.. Calm enough to wander outside.

Sounds bliss...where are you located? Cloudy here today

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Still no thread from the Frog... wonder is he in trouble and can't get somewhere to start a thread.

Screenshot-20200124-131957-Google.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Beautiful sunny day in Arklow since dawn too
    Should also be the case into south Dublin,down through all of east Wicklow
    Feels like Summer

Nice colourful vis sat image now on met.ie replacing the black and white one

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

No real change in the bigger picture regarding temperatures right over the next two weeks it would seem:

CPjgGX6.gif

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    No real change in the bigger picture regarding temperatures right over the next two weeks it would seem:

It's an awfully bland winter. Now I am enjoying wearing a jumper, and t-shirt at times, outdoors this week. No rain, no wind, no frost, and no fog where I am mostly. Very nice to go out and not get soaked or have a brolly blown apart.

But there's another side of me finds it very boring. We usually have some FI eye candy to look at with regards to cold and snow. Not a hint this year bar a little bit of a heights rise over Scandi yesterday, which looked like sinking and turning into a euro trash high anyway, it's gone today.

The Sunday-Tuesday westerly will bring snow to the higher ground in the west and north, probably, further south might and might not get something, again limited to higher ground really. Anything at lower level will melt quickly enough.

I'm usually a weather enthusiast but I'm finding it harder and harder to get any bit excited about wintry weather for 2020 pre March. An SSW is hardly discussed lately.. Maybe it's best to go away from the charts for a week. Even doing that the problem is the models have predicted mild weather in FI all winter, and been right. So when you look at the same setup in FI 10-16 days out on each GFS run, you don't feel it will change radically.

No wind? No rain?

Naggdefy wrote: »
    It's an awfully bland winter. Now I am enjoying wearing a jumper, and t-shirt at times, outdoors this week. No rain, no wind, no frost, and no fog where I am mostly. Very nice to go out and not get soaked or have a brolly blown apart.

But there's another side of me finds it very boring. We usually have some FI eye candy to look at with regards to cold and snow. Not a hint this year bar a little bit of a heights rise over Scandi yesterday, which looked like sinking and turning into a euro trash high anyway, it's gone today.

The Sunday-Tuesday westerly will bring snow to the higher ground in the west and north, probably, further south might and might not get something, again limited to higher ground really. Anything at lower level will melt quickly enough.

I'm usually a weather enthusiast but I'm finding it harder and harder to get any bit excited about wintry weather for 2020 pre March. An SSW is hardly discussed lately.. Maybe it's best to go away from the charts for a week. Even doing that the problem is the models have predicted mild weather in FI all winter, and been right. So when you look at the same setup in FI 10-16 days out on each GFS run, you don't feel it will change radically.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Unfortunately that sums up this winter entirely. If we ran a roller coaster we would have gone out of business this winter. Last winter was similar but at least there was eye candy to keep our hopes alive.

As you say this winter there is nothing, not even one consistent FI eye candy run. The models are either pointing at mild westerlies or winds up from the Canaries most of the time. What makes the situation even more alarming is the rest of Europe is joining us with this bland and uneventful winter. Places that should be knee deep in snow and sub zero temperatures have a winter similar to ours this year.

Long range looks poor too with mild continuing right through February and on into March. The only good thing about the models is they are hinting at a dryer pattern over the next few months, compared to the deluges of late summer, autumn and the start of winter. We're into the final 4 to 5 weeks of Winter, the clock is ticking and no signs of anything properly cold or wintry in the charts. I don't see much changing between now and March, all we can do is hope that luck finds it's way to us, and that one morning we awake to see at least FI getting on board with something seasonal.

Graces7 wrote: »
    No wind? No rain?

No wind, no rain this week for me.

Nor here, and sheer bliss! lol!
    No wind, no rain this week for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Could it be argued that the NWP models getting better are the main cause of that? 95% of the time when the models show cold weather it doesn't come to fruition so maybe they're finally learning..?

As for the weather here, dark and damp with persistent drizzle for the past couple of days, all very boring

• Advertisement

Some wind sounds drifting in from the darkness now. Gentle enough...the last few days have been just that; gentle and quiet. Sad to hear it ending. but it has rested us greatly. A breathing space. A respite

• Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭Dickie10

would u think there is growth already yet? beginng to think i might start with fertiliser

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

The hawthorns are already showing the emergence of leaves in parts of East Clare
    Still hibernating in North Clare

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Gonzo wrote: »
    Unfortunately that sums up this winter entirely. If we ran a roller coaster we would have gone out of business this winter. Last winter was similar but at least there was eye candy to keep our hopes alive.

As you say this winter there is nothing, not even one consistent FI eye candy run. The models are either pointing at mild westerlies or winds up from the Canaries most of the time. What makes the situation even more alarming is the rest of Europe is joining us with this bland and uneventful winter. Places that should be knee deep in snow and sub zero temperatures have a winter similar to ours this year.

Long range looks poor too with mild continuing right through February and on into March. The only good thing about the models is they are hinting at a dryer pattern over the next few months, compared to the deluges of late summer, autumn and the start of winter. We're into the final 4 to 5 weeks of Winter, the clock is ticking and no signs of anything properly cold or wintry in the charts. I don't see much changing between now and March, all we can do is hope that luck finds it's way to us, and that one morning we awake to see at least FI getting on board with something seasonal.

I would think it`s much more likely that the very high late Feb 2019 temperatures that many parts of the country experienced will come under threat of being exceeded in Feb 2020 rather than any cold conditions then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

I would think it`s much more likely that the very high late Feb 2019 temperatures that many parts of the country experienced will come under threat of being exceeded in Feb 2020 rather than any cold conditions then.

Show your workings?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

There is a chance of very mild temperatures in the first week of February with a fetch of winds up from the Azores/Canarys which could bring 14 or 15C if conditions were right. It would take something special to beat the temperatures we had last February. I still remember sitting outside in a t-shirt with gin blue skies end of February, as if it was July.

Still have marigolds in flower here....
    nthclare wrote: »
    The hawthorns are already showing the emergence of leaves in parts of East Clare
    Still hibernating in North Clare

The wind woke in the night, flexed his brawny arms and started exercising his fearsome lungs..

He has brought a bitter cold with him. Far cry from yesterday's benign hours.

Today's task is getting and keeping warm .

But we had a respite …

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

I see your man from the Irish weather channel issuing his own weather warnings again for snow Monday and Tuesday in kildare and Laois . He makes himself or at least the local papers do to sound official. I don’t know how many times this lad has got things wrong and people still believe every word out of his mouth.
    My own elderly mother has hospital appointments early next week and now because she has seen it in the local paper she thinks it’s an official warning.

• Advertisement

harr wrote: »
    I see your man from the Irish weather channel issuing his own weather warnings again for snow Monday and Tuesday in kildare and Laois . He makes himself or at least the local papers do to sound official. I don’t know how many times this lad has got things wrong and people still believe every word out of his mouth.
    My own elderly mother has hospital appointments early next week and now because she has seen it in the local paper she thinks it’s an official warning.

Heard him on Midlands radio during the week. Embarrassing. Introduced by his climatology and meteorological study credentials. Gave a run down on the models he uses for prediction. Basically what we all have access to. Totally egged on by a presenter who was very ignorant on the subject. When your man gave his spiel about models and personal input the presenter goes 'Wow! What a comprehensive answer! Amazing!'.

Nothing about a recent 7in snow prediction last winter, when 0 inches came. Or his red warnings for Brendan etc.

Advertisement