Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aer Lingus Fleet/Routes Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

Kcormahs wrote: »
    Each A321NEO LR is likely to do a DUB-UK/EU flight daily between TATL, this does give an uplift

I also considered that. I just wonder will EI be getting 4 next year or only one/two due to delays? And will we see the Business class product on those routes? Maybe on the 320s too?

The seat map is already available on the Aer Lingus booking engine. The layout shows 16 business class seats in the current staggered configuration so we can expect an identical product to the current long haul aircraft. Montreal will be the first route, it departs Dublin in the evening so there's quite a lot of downtime between transatlantic crossings which suggests that a few UK or European hops are possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,547 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I also considered that. I just wonder will EI be getting 4 next year or only one/two due to delays? And will we see the Business class product on those routes? Maybe on the 320s too?
    They'll have biz seating and I can't see them selling it as seat only upgrade like on the 330 euro rotations currently. There will have to be some biz service improvements

If it's a big success they might offer biz service on 320s on the same routes but without the seats. Middle seat blocked only basically

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Kcormahs

L1011 wrote: »
    They'll have biz seating and I can't see them selling it as seat only upgrade like on the 330 euro rotations currently. There will have to be some biz service improvements

If it's a big success they might offer biz service on 320s on the same routes but without the seats. Middle seat blocked only basically

Basically like in BA with the euroclub although I don’t see curtains being refitted.

Any official date/time for this european expansion announcement?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Any talk of an ORK rotation? Would be a quick turnaround, and with EI's growing long haul network there will surely be demand

Current options from Cork in the mornings are driving via a motorway that's clogged on approach to the airport/Dublin. A bus that's stuck in the same traffic and goes slower on the free flowing element, and a train that terminates some distance from the airport. Given the US presence in Cork it may be an option given the lack of direct links.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭billie1b

Locker10a wrote: »
    By the looks of it the 321LR with seat 184 pax total, is that more than the 757? How will it compare for cargo ?

7 more pax than the 757, the 757 operates with 177

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

marno21 wrote: »
    Any talk of an ORK rotation? Would be a quick turnaround, and with EI's growing long haul network there will surely be demand

Current options from Cork in the mornings are driving via a motorway that's clogged on approach to the airport/Dublin. A bus that's stuck in the same traffic and goes slower on the free flowing element, and a train that terminates some distance from the airport. Given the US presence in Cork it may be an option given the lack of direct links.

There's a myriad of public transport options that get from Cork to Dublin Airport in 3 to 3.5 hours or Shannon in 2 to 2.5 hours. There's just no need for air service. If FR couldn't make it work at what was a pretty much constantly available €9.99 (often €4.99) then nobody can.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

I saw a link yesterday to an announcement from Connecticut governor. It stated that he was happy to confirm that “Aer Lingus have committed to the route under at least 2022”, and they will introduce “one of their 4 new A321LR aircraft next year”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Jack1985

The seat map is already available on the Aer Lingus booking engine. The layout shows 16 business class seats in the current staggered configuration so we can expect an identical product to the current long haul aircraft. Montreal will be the first route, it departs Dublin in the evening so there's quite a lot of downtime between transatlantic crossings which suggests that a few UK or European hops are possible.

First A321LR route planned to be PHL from 08/07/18 followed by YUL 08/08/18. B757 retirements to commence Q4 2018.

No announcement yet in relation to what potential early EU's the A321LR's will operate on downtime from the US, they won't be used on the likes of Summer routes as capacity is less then the standard Y212 A321's. Can see the likes of the 602, 152 or 520 taking an A321LR, maybe they will tie it in with the AerSpace launch (if Ever..).

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

There's a myriad of public transport options that get from Cork to Dublin Airport in 3 to 3.5 hours or Shannon in 2 to 2.5 hours. There's just no need for air service. If FR couldn't make it work at what was a pretty much constantly available €9.99 (often €4.99) then nobody can.

FR didn't do transatlantic connections. That's the main reason I'm proposing it

• Advertisement

Stobart's IOM operation for Flybe ends in late March 2019, releasing two ATR 72-500's for use. I would hope a potential ORK-DUB rotation may reappear, there is justifiable demand - A look at recent growth for Coach operators shows this with Aircoach running nearly two buses an hour now one for the airport and the other for the city. GoBe recently significantly grew services. This ''there is no need for air services'' is nonsense, there is demand.

Jack1985 wrote: »
    Stobart's IOM operation for Flybe ends in late March 2019, releasing two ATR 72-500's for use. I would hope a potential ORK-DUB rotation may reappear, there is justifiable demand - A look at recent growth for Coach operators shows this with Aircoach running nearly two buses an hour now one for the airport and the other for the city. GoBe recently significantly grew services. This ''there is no need for air services'' is nonsense, there is demand.

There is plenty of demand on the route but the growth in bus operator services and high quality road network shows that this is being met. Add in time to travel to cork airport, checkin , flight and arrivals process and you have about a 1 hour saving over public transport and virtually no saving over driving.

It would be the worst possible deployment of capacity. Route planners aren't stupid and that is why this route doesn't exist.

From the papers at the time:
    Stephen McNamara, spokesman for Ryanair, said: “Ryanair regrets having to close our Dublin– Cork and Dublin– Kerry routes. However, passengers have been voting with their feet and switching to the convenience of driving two and a half hours between Dublin and Cork.

There is plenty of demand on the route but the growth in bus operator services and high quality road network shows that this is being met. Add in time to travel to cork airport, checkin , flight and arrivals process and you have about a 1 hour saving over public transport and virtually no saving over driving.

It would be the worst possible deployment of capacity. Route planners aren't stupid and that is why this route doesn't exist.

Stephen McNamara, spokesman for Ryanair, said: “Ryanair regrets having to close our Dublin– Cork and Dublin– Kerry routes. However, passengers have been voting with their feet and switching to the convenience of driving two and a half hours between Dublin and Cork.

Check-In ''time'' is a non-runner, we all carry iPhone's or visa-versa these days with the wallet app.

The route under EIR with connections through DUB to the US would do well. The route has never been tried under those circumstances, Ryanair's operation on the ORK-DUB route is controversial. They arrived to undercut RE, eventually booting them off it in 2011, the M8 was fully open nearly 2 years at that stage. FR had zero interest in the route once RE were off it, similarly done at Cork to operators including EZY and W6. At the time was also 2011, it's now 2018. The M8/M7 during rush hour is a headache for most due to continued urban sprawl in Dublin.

Coupling transfer demand to the US and local demand, the route would do well. A quick look at domestic routes in Ireland shows that even on PSO routes domestic demand is growing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,547 ✭✭✭✭L1011

FR entered the route to bully RE off. They had no transfer capabilities; there was no transfer facility in DUB anyway.

EI-coded flights transferring via a transfer facility to longhaul and CX at the very least is a very, very different market to ORK-DUB alone.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,185 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

FR entered the route to bully RE off. They had no transfer capabilities; there was no transfer facility in DUB anyway.

EI-coded flights transferring via a transfer facility to longhaul and CX at the very least is a very, very different market to ORK-DUB alone.
    I agree I think on connections it would have a fair chance with an atr

If they wanted to offer full proper business class they’d probably need 5 crew in the cabin which I can’t see happening, a full proper business service would require the senior to be solely dedicated to that cabin and service, that leaves 3 crew to complete a buy on board which would be quite slow especially on busy flights or short sectors, at BA on euro sectors if Club Europe is booked above a certain number of pax an additional crew member is rostered onto the flight to complete the service to the expected standards, can we honestly see EI doing something like this!!!

• Advertisement

If they wanted to offer full proper business class they’d probably need 5 crew in the cabin which I can’t see happening, a full proper business service would require the senior to be solely dedicated to that cabin and service, that leaves 3 crew to complete a buy on board which would be quite slow especially on busy flights or short sectors, at BA on euro sectors if Club Europe is booked above a certain number of pax an additional crew member is rostered onto the flight to complete the service to the expected standards, can we honestly see EI doing something like this!!!

There's 4 crew on the 757 with 177, the SN looks after 12...

I was more thinking of business class being run on busy Euro flights along with buy on board in full economy, or if they do introduce a curtain divide for premier Europe, I just can’t see them doing it properly, I think it will be a seat upgrade and maybe a free tea coffee or water

I was more thinking of business class being run on busy Euro flights along with buy on board in full economy, or if they do introduce a curtain divide for premier Europe, I just can’t see them doing it properly, I think it will be a seat upgrade and maybe a free tea coffee or water

Absolutely you couldn't do shorter Euro routes with the current Business Class product with those crewing levels, but AerSpace isn't planned to be that level of service. It's doable with current crewing levels on Europe. A free service is quicker then the current BoB.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Absolutely you couldn't do shorter Euro routes with the current Business Class product with those crewing levels, but AerSpace isn't planned to be that level of service. It's doable with current crewing levels on Europe. A free service is quicker then the current BoB.

Yet many airlines currently flying to and from DUB somehow manage to do it..?
    Lufthansa, Swiss, KLM, Turkish all provide a BC service and back in the day Aer Lingus used to provide it on flights to UK. I think there's a market for BC on all airlines (including Ryanair). It doesn't have to be a five course meal, BC passengers just want to be on and off the aircraft first, a bit more space around them, a bite to eat, a glass of wine and an additional baggage allowance. BC passengers aren't flying for fun so they don't mind paying a bit more to do it in comfort. People already pay a premium for priority boarding and to sit at the front, many of them would happily pay the extra to get the whole experience, airlines would be mad not to take that revenue.

Today's EI110 from Shannon to New York has been cancelled. EI-LBT has left Shannon for Dublin as EI990.

Has another aircraft gone tech ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭joeysoap

With a much longer time span to serve food and drinks. I think on the 330s there’s cabin manager (pointy end) and a senior in charge at the back? The 757 is different?

joeysoap wrote: »

With a much longer time span to serve food and drinks. I think on the 330s there’s cabin manager (pointy end) and a senior in charge at the back? The 757 is different?

Yeah transatlantic service is arguably easier as everything is quickly dished out for free, and there 6/7 hours to play with anyway. Buy on board always takes longer(obviously depending on demand) and there’s much less time in the air.

Yet many airlines currently flying to and from DUB somehow manage to do it..?
    Lufthansa, Swiss, KLM, Turkish all provide a BC service and back in the day Aer Lingus used to provide it on flights to UK. I think there's a market for BC on all airlines (including Ryanair). It doesn't have to be a five course meal, BC passengers just want to be on and off the aircraft first, a bit more space around them, a bite to eat, a glass of wine and an additional baggage allowance. BC passengers aren't flying for fun so they don't mind paying a bit more to do it in comfort. People already pay a premium for priority boarding and to sit at the front, many of them would happily pay the extra to get the whole experience, airlines would be mad not to take that revenue.
    That’s great and all, but like I said earlier other airlines who do it properly will roster additional crew to work a flight with high business class bookings etc. Can we see EI doing that !!? I think not, so if there are 20 booked in premier Europe and 1 crew member to look after them on a 1 hour flight..... also who’s going to dress and hoover the cabin on turnaround? EI want no cleaning done on short haul turns to save time and money, it’s last off from the inbound and ready to board for the outbound. Which is great for OTP but is an undressed business class cabin acceptable?

ORK-FAO and ORK-AGP (partially) on-sale. No sign of the W routes returning, which would allow for two new routes to be added from Cork for S19, unless of course EI decide to base another unit in SNN or use the SNN based 320 to operate AGP/FAO and get a DUB aircraft to cover one of the LHR's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

I think we're focusing too much on the importance of a business class cabin on short haul. 
    The absolute most anyone should expect is 'Aer Space' which was an empty middle seat and a complimentary snack and that was it for an in the air product. All the other features were delivered at the time of booking or at the airport, seat selection, free bags, lounge access for example. 
    The A321LR offering business class on European routes would be very, very select. It could be reserved for those who have booked a business class transatlantic seat via Dublin from Europe with the Aer Space features on top which allows Aer Lingus to keep the offering simple and low cost while providing a consistent hard product for those flying business onwards to North America. 
    Don't expect to see a return of 'Premier Europe' as the demand just isn't there network wide and on most routes Aer Lingus would make more profit up-selling basic fares.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭revelman

ORK-FAO and ORK-AGP (partially) on-sale. No sign of the W routes returning, which would allow for two new routes to be added from Cork for S19, unless of course EI decide to base another unit in SNN or use the SNN based 320 to operate AGP/FAO and get a DUB aircraft to cover one of the LHR's.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breaki...on-869126.html

Aer Lingus Chief Executive states that they will be making announcements in the coming weeks on expansion from Cork airport, focusing mainly on European city destinations. .

revelman wrote: »

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breaki...on-869126.html

Aer Lingus Chief Executive states that they will be making announcements in the coming weeks on expansion from Cork airport, focusing mainly on European city destinations. .

“Mainly on European cities” so does that mean possibly a UK city, or something more exciting..

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

Today's EI110 from Shannon to New York has been cancelled. EI-LBT has left Shannon for Dublin as EI990.

Has another aircraft gone tech ?

Yes, EI-LBR went tech after arriving in Philadelphia from DUB on Saturday. The return flight was cancelled. On Sunday it positioned to JFK to operate EI108 JFK-DUB. Sunday's DUB-JFK EI109 was cancelled as well.

EI-LBT positioned to DUB from SNN in order to operate the EI131 to Hartford (Note: SNN-JFK cancelled was EI111)

So, all-in-all, three T/A flights were cancelled.

Source: http://thelingussource.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

MIA DUB flight i see had a pit stop in YQX. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

That’s great and all, but like I said earlier other airlines who do it properly will roster additional crew to work a flight with high business class bookings etc. Can we see EI doing that !!? I think not, so if there are 20 booked in premier Europe and 1 crew member to look after them on a 1 hour flight..... also who’s going to dress and hoover the cabin on turnaround? EI want no cleaning done on short haul turns to save time and money, it’s last off from the inbound and ready to board for the outbound. Which is great for OTP but is an undressed business class cabin acceptable?

A lot of those flights I mentioned have as little as two or three rows of BC, that could easily be handled by the current crew numbers. Some of them don't seem to have additional or dedicated BC flight attendants, the F/A dishes out a welcome drink and snack before departure, then a small meal and a drink before popping back to serve in the main cabin but popping back in from time to time to see if they need anything else. As I suggested earlier BC passengers don't usually want to be pampered and entertained, they just want to be on and off first with a bit of extra space around them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

European "domestic" business class is actually very easy to adapt to customer demand - move your curtain forward or backward based on bookings.

I would remark however that I wouldn't be very entertained if I couldn't get a drink refill when I want it if the purser is off serving the economy trolley for twenty minutes. One thing you do value in domestic business is just looking up, nodding (or hitting the call), and a beverage arriving. If I'm paying a 200% mark up on my seat (just quickly looking at Lufthansa morning flight Dublin-Frankfurt for example) yes I want to get on first, get the space, I want a dedicated power point, but I also definitely want and value someone serving me a beverage when and as frequently as I like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

A lot of those flights I mentioned have as little as two or three rows of BC, that could easily be handled by the current crew numbers. Some of them don't seem to have additional or dedicated BC flight attendants, the F/A dishes out a welcome drink and snack before departure, then a small meal and a drink before popping back to serve in the main cabin but popping back in from time to time to see if they need anything else. As I suggested earlier BC passengers don't usually want to be pampered and entertained, they just want to be on and off first with a bit of extra space around them.
    off first I definitely get, on first? on those bloody cramped tin cans? I always make sure I am one of the last to board..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Is today's 121 going? Couple of hours late so far. Is something tech?

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭alancostello

EI140 MIA-DUB diverted to YQX (Gander) last night, operated by EI-EWR. Departed for DUB seven hours later, diverted to SNN, and is now en route to DUB.

EI140 MIA-DUB diverted to YQX (Gander) last night, operated by EI-EWR. Departed for DUB seven hours later, diverted to SNN, and is now en route to DUB.

Jayzus.

Multiple possible reasons for YQX but what would be the justification for a further detour to SNN ?

Your mention of Gander reminded me of this excellent documentary about Sep 11th (which also briefly features pax on a EI105). Highly recommend a watch for those who haven't seen it:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXbxoy4Mges

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Lapmo_Dancer

Crew out of hours I’d imagine. EI operates to Florida with only 2 Flightdeck crew.

Crew out of hours I’d imagine. EI operates to Florida with only 2 Flightdeck crew.

We're talking what 10-15 minutes? Doubt they'd let them get themselves that close.

Also the use of EI990 flight number on SNN DUB suggests they dumped the pax in SNN. Anyone confirm ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

EWR is not crew rest fitted, so anything more than 8 hours in the air and you are in trouble crew wise 
    990 is a positioning number, no passengers

Would there be A330 qualified crew sitting in Shannon for the positioning flight to DUB, or would they have just sent two pilots down to bring Ei-EWR back? I'd be curious to know what caused the diversion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Likely 2 sent down by bus/taxi from Dublin.
    Doubtful anyone in SNN is still current on A330

Ouch, that’s gonna put a dent in the schedule. Just checked flight radar and no moment on DUB-MCO yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

Likely 2 sent down by bus/taxi from Dublin.
    Doubtful anyone in SNN is still current on A330

Don't think there's even pilots based there other than ASL secondment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,923 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Tenger wrote: »
    Ouch, that’s gonna put a dent in the schedule. Just checked flight radar and no moment on DUB-MCO yet.

EI-EWR lining up for take off at 19:07.
    Just a tad late!

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

Now taxiing 4 hours late per EI Website.

Mebuntu wrote: »
    Now taxiing 4 hours late per EI Website.

Should get in just under the four hour delay mark which halves compensation payable from €600 to €300.

Wonder if EI would have more proactive irrops measures in place if EU261 was a mandatory airline controlled process rather than a passenger application one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

I saw a link yesterday to an announcement from Connecticut governor. It stated that he was happy to confirm that “Aer Lingus have committed to the route under at least 2022”, and they will introduce “one of their 4 new A321LR aircraft next year”
    EI have been in BDL about 2 years now? They must have given some more decent subsidies to continue to 2022, considering that it's the only European route out of BDL and none of the Big 3 in the US have attempted to muscle in during the interim. Must not be viable without the subsidy.

cson wrote: »

EI have been in BDL about 2 years now? They must have given some more decent subsidies to continue to 2022, considering that it's the only European route out of BDL and none of the Big 3 in the US have attempted to muscle in during the interim. Must not be viable without the subsidy.
    I would believe it's viable without subsidy (as far as I'm aware the final two years of the EI deal have zero subsidy), however it's probably not viable when split between two carriers which is what would happen now. Doesn't hurt that the US3 aren't particularly fond of flying out of non-hub airports, and they all currently connect to some if not all of their northeast/midwest hubs out of BDL as it stands.

EWR is not crew rest fitted, so anything more than 8 hours in the air and you are in trouble crew wise 
    990 is a positioning number, no passengers
    Im gonna guess that they stretched themselves to even make it to Shannon.
    Looking at FR2; https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/ei-ewr
    MIA-YQX; 0052-0701UTC (The track shows them going about 20 mins beyond Gander before turning back)
    YQX-SNN; 0906-1244UTC

So 1st sector is 6 hours 9 mins, 2nd sector is 3 hours 38 mins, plus ~2 hours on the ground. (my math could be wrong,had to playback each sector!)
    Thats 11 hours 52 mins block time (time in airport before departure not included) on a through the night flight crossing several time zones with

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Kcormahs

Does anyone know why the most recent Aer Lingus TA flights such as Miami (launched a year ago) and Minneapolis and Montreal aren't codeshared with British Airways? If you tried to book a flight from LHR to JFK on BA's website, the option of EI will come up, Via Dublin (same as all the EI destinations, even short haul for example Madrid - LGW via Dublin) expect for Miami (and also Minneapolis/Montreal). Sure, this would increase the loads no? Any particular reason for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭jucylucy

Hearing several different sources the EI have asked ASL to supply 3xB737-400 pax aircraft for next summer....freeing up A320s for Dublin.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement