Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gay Byrne RIP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

What show was that I wonder? Would like to hear it.

It was on the Ray D'Arcy show

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

I always thought that was a tongue in cheek remark but maybe I`m wrong. I think if Boyzone were just starting out now and gave the same performance on the Late Late, Tubridy would make a similar comment.

He had no disdain for them at all, he said it in a "good luck to them" way. Bands like Boyzone are known for their lack of singing/instrument playing abilities, even Louis Walsh said it. Ronan Keating and maybe one or two others had a decent singing voice. It's false that he had disdain for Boyzone and it was at worst light ribbing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Antwashere1

He was the first of his genre, and like in many other areas of life the first is often considered the best.
    Idolatry is such an ugly part of Irish society, today is an example.
    The homeless man murdered in Cork has equal rights to any idol.
    We won't see the president at a homeless persons funeral though.
    God rest Gay and all the people who died today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

RIP Gay Byrne :(

He must be at the pearly gates by now. I wonder what he is saying to god?

Get out of my way Sonny

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Am I right in thinking that he was the first (or one of the first) person to interview the Beatles during his time on British TV in the early 1960s?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

RIP. Definitely one of the best talk show hosts ever.

The only thing I ever didn't like about Gay Byrne was that he afflicted us with Joe ****ing Duffy. A talentless moaning scourge nudge nudge wink winked through the back doors of RTE in the early 90's by unkey Gaybo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

fair play to the guy, 6 decades on the national airwaves and the vast majority of criticism of him focuses on one single interview

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭WomanSkirtFan8

Am I right in thinking that he was the first (or one of the first) person to interview the Beatles during his time on British TV in the early 1960s?

yes. when he worked at granda tv in 1963 for a spell. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

What show was that I wonder? Would like to hear it.

Mary Wilson about forty minutes in.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,883 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

May he rip.

He was of his time and could challenge things at that time.

There are no more challenges left now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

yes. when he worked at granda tv in 1963 for a spell. :)

Granda TV? They even thought he was old AF back in the 60's!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Naggdefy wrote: »
    Mary McAleese on the news. Loves the sound of her voice. Just let go Mary, we've had enough.

She's not ageing well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Knew this would be a sh1t show, ffs. Everything has to be pissed on by malcontents. Everything.

Ground-breaking presenter of a ground-breaking show, which absolutely impacted society. Superb broadcaster and superb interviewer. Yeah I found him unlikable in certain ways but his talent eclipsed that, and compare him to the two since.

Pissed on? Just because people aren’t spilling crocodile tears or calling him an “institution” over and over? There’s no better time to examine his legacy than the day he died, it’s not like people are protesting at his funeral over the Annie Murphy interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

I always thought that was a tongue in cheek remark but maybe I`m wrong. I think if Boyzone were just starting out now and gave the same performance on the Late Late, Tubridy would make a similar comment.
    Not an absolute notion would Tubridy come out with that not in a million friggin years

• Registered Users Posts: 66,968 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    Pissed on? Just because people aren’t spilling crocodile tears or calling him an “institution” over and over? There’s no better time to examine his legacy than the day he died, it’s not like people are protesting at his funeral over the Annie Murphy interview.

Yeh but there are people going to the hassle of registering accounts two or three times, not to express criticism (which is entirely justified) but to spew bile. Takes a special type of person to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

May he rip.

He was of his time and could challenge things at that time.

There are no more challenges left now.

Of course there are the bigist challange of all being the challenge against the almost total uniformity of thought of the present day so called media

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Sonny678

The word great is an overused word , many people are labelled great but they are not really. But Gay Bryne was a great great man , a great Irish man. Ireland has undergone an extraordinary change in the last 40 or 50 years. A more open and caring and liberal society , yes there are so many problems but Ireland in the 1950s 1960s 1970s 1980s was a basket case , ecomocially , socially, politically and culturally. Gay Bryne kicked down the door to a more inclusive modern Ireland. Younger people dont realise what Ireland was like in 1970s or 1980s. It was a completely different country. Backward and in many ways the sickman of western Europe.

A small clique of powerful people from politics to the church ran the country and kept ordinary people in their place and the ordinary person had little voice. Gay Bryne with wit and intelligence and unbelieveable bravey talked about things that were unspeakable in Irish society eg condoms etc. He had a platform and he could so easily said nothing and promoted the status quo. But Gaybo was a rebel at heart. With true fearlessnes , he gave a voice to ordinary problems and he was one of the great people that dragged this country into the 21st century. He was revolutionary figure , but he had such charm and had such a personality that was so unthreatening and so calming, that the powers be , couldnt control him and really did not understand this man was changing the face of a country. He made mistakes , but all great men do.

There was one section of society that adored Gaybo and that was Irish women. For decades the truth is we treated our women very poorly in this country , they had very little voice , it was Gaybo who gave so many women a voice , he really was a groundbreaking extremely talented , courageous man. As I said already , Gay Bryne was a great Irish man , from late toy show to Billy Connolly cracking jokes to tackling ussues and problems and stories that no one else in this country would even speak about or acknowledge , Gaybo really stood apart. Sometimes we call politicans or sportstars or musicians great men or women. Broadcaster usually dont get labelled great. Well theres one broadcaster who pushed boundaries and really did his country a service. That was late great Gay Byrne.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I was very sorry to hear Gay had passed away. As I watched all the clips on the news tonight I remembered a story Gay told once. When he was in the US his producer came to him and said something along the lines of:

Producer: Well now, we can't call you Gay, it won't go down well with the conservatives.
    Gay: How about Gabriel?
    Producer: Naw, that won't work either. What's your middle name?
    Gay: Mary.

Loved it!

Also remembered this the first time I heard it I fell around the place laughing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3zUJ9YUqak

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    Pissed on? Just because people aren’t spilling crocodile tears or calling him an “institution” over and over?
    No obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Sonny678 wrote: »
    The word great is an overused word , many people are labelled great but they are not really. But Gay Bryne was a great great man , a great Irish man. Ireland has undergone an extraordinary change in the last 40 or 50 years. A more open and caring and liberal society , yes there are so many problems but Ireland in the 1950s 1960s 1970s 1980s was a basket case , ecomocially , socially, politically and culturally. Gay Bryne kicked down the door to a more inclusive modern Ireland. Younger people dont realise what Ireland was like in 1970s or 1980s. It was a completely different country. Backward and in many ways the sickman of western Europe.

A small clique of powerful people from politics to the church ran the country and kept ordinary people in their place and the ordinary person had little voice. Gay Bryne with wit and intelligence and unbelieveable bravey talked about things that were unspeakable in Irish society eg condoms etc. He had a platform and he could so easily said nothing and promoted the status quo. But Gaybo was a rebel at heart. With true fearlessnes , he gave a voice to ordinary problems and he was one of the great people that dragged this country into the 21st century. He was revoltunionary figure , but he had such charm and had such a personality that was so unthreatening and so calming, that the powers be , couldnt control him and really did not understand this man was changing the face of a country. He made mistakes , but all great men do.

There was one section of society that adored Gaybo and that was Irish women. For decades the truth is we treated our women very poorly in this country , they had very little voice , it was Gaybo who gave so many women a voice , he really was a groundbreaking extremely talented , courageous man. As I said already , Gay Bryne was a great Irish man , from late toy show to Billy Connolly cracking to tackling ussues and problems and stories that no one else in this country would even speak about or acknowledge , Gaybo really stood apart. Sometimes we call politicans or sportstars or musicians great men or women. Broadcaster usually dont get labelled great. Well theres one broadcaster who pushed boundaries and really did his country a service. That was late great Gay Byrne.
    He was no " rebel at heart"
    He was as much of the Establishment as any of the ones he railed against.
    Smug, middle class delighted to have risen above the great unwashed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

This interview with the Diceman a few months before he died really stayed with me:

padd b1975 wrote: »
    She's not ageing well.

Bitter woman.

Why is she bitter? And she's starting to look old at 68? Ew, what a loser!

Sonny678 wrote: »

A small clique of powerful people from politics to the church ran the country and kept ordinary people in their place and the ordinary person had little voice. Gay Bryne with wit and intelligence and unbelieveable bravey talked about things that were unspeakable in Irish society eg condoms etc. He had a platform and he could so easily said nothing and promoted the status quo. But Gaybo was a rebel at heart. With true fearlessnes , he gave a voice to ordinary problems and he was one of the great people that dragged this country into the 21st century. He was revolutionary figure , but he had such charm and had such a personality that was so unthreatening and so calming, that the powers be , couldnt control him and really did not understand this man was changing the face of a country. He made mistakes , but all great men do.

There was one section of society that adored Gaybo and that was Irish women. For decades the truth is we treated our women very poorly in this country , they had very little voice , it was Gaybo who gave so many women a voice , he really was a groundbreaking extremely talented , courageous man. As I said already , Gay Bryne was a great Irish man , from late toy show to Billy Connolly cracking jokes to tackling ussues and problems and stories that no one else in this country would even speak about or acknowledge , Gaybo really stood apart. Sometimes we call politicans or sportstars or musicians great men or women. Broadcaster usually dont get labelled great. Well theres one broadcaster who pushed boundaries and really did his country a service. That was late great Gay Byrne.

He was a man, that's all.
    No better or worse than anyone.
    Idolatry is a disease of today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Letwin_Larry

fair play to the guy, 6 decades on the national airwaves and the vast majority of criticism of him focuses on one single interview

that interview still intrigues me.

why was he so dismissive of her? she was effectively set up imo.
    i mean given many of the topics he aired over the years, eg Ann Lovett, condoms, abortion, was it safe to assume he had serious issues with the church?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

he helped get ireland out of the dark ages....those of us who grew up in pre-celtic tiger times can attest to that

Decent Skin

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭PressRun

Was a pure natural in front of a camera and he did some great bits over the years. Found his lighthearted stuff quite good and he did some great progressive stuff too like the condoms etc.

Was also at the helm of shameful state propaganda in the form of interviews with Annie Murphy and Gerry Adams in particular.

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Why is she bitter? And she's starting to look old at 68? Ew, what a loser!

She takes herself way to seriously, the media like her angry outbursts against the church, plays to their agenda.
    She had a few good insights in her past, but now only anger dictates.

He was a man, that's all.
    No better or worse than anyone.
    Idolatry is a disease of today.
    Well known people will be talked about more - no harm meant. How can people talk about those they don't know of?

I don't get this stuff about him being part of the establishment. He was horrible to Annie Murphy - and indeed could be self important - but that wasn't the entire sum of him in a 40-year career. I mean, for such an establishment figure, the show he presented certainly didn't shy away from home truths about Irish society.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

He was the first of his genre, and like in many other areas of life the first is often considered the best. Idolatry is such an ugly part of Irish society, today is an example. The homeless man murdered in Cork has equal rights to any idol. We won't see the president at a homeless persons funeral though. God rest Gay and all the people who died today.

Haha Jesus.

Advertisement