Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gay Byrne RIP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

He was a man, that's all. No better or worse than anyone. Idolatry is a disease of today.

We heard you the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,293 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Ironicname wrote: »
    Haha Jesus.

no. but close

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Sorry about that

Bitter woman.

You misspelled brilliant there.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,198 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

RTE going way over the top on this, but there simply will never be another broadcaster that had the impact he had.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭Allinall

Bitter woman.

Bitter poster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

She takes herself way to seriously, the media like her angry outbursts against the church, plays to their agenda.
    She had a few good insights in her past, but now only anger dictates.
    She can't accept that she has had her well paid day in the Sun. Robinson has beaten her to the climate change gig. All she has left is the women priests job

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Obviously people have different opinions. I'm of the opinion he was an over paid, small minded gowl. When there was one channel on the telly he was still crap. Not a patch on the interviewers you'd see on other channels. Even RTE wouldn't hire such a fool as a presenter these days.

Well maybe RTE would....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭d8491prj5boyvg

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Mary Wilson about forty minutes in.

Got it! Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

RIP Gay Byrne :(

He must be at the pearly gates by now. I wonder what he is saying to god?

"hey god! did you hear what Stephen Fry said about you?"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

RIP Gay Byrne. One of the few presenters around who didn't bow down to the pcbrigade protected snowflakes. Legend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

They'll probably wheel out that nut job Sinead O Connor to sing at the funeral
    (that's if she's not too busy telling the Dalai LaMa where he's going wrong

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Edgware wrote: »
    He was no " rebel at heart"
    He was as much of the Establishment as any of the ones he railed against.
    Smug, middle class delighted to have risen above the great unwashed

Based on what evidence? Or did you just decide to post this nonsense for the sake of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Sonny678

Edgware wrote:
    He was no " rebel at heart" He was as much of the Establishment as any of the ones he railed against. Smug, middle class delighted to have risen above the great unwashed

Ok I get what you are saying he could be smug , yes he was middle class and yes became part of establishment. But if you entertainer for 40 or 50 years you become part of establishment but the late late show and his radio show in 1960s 1970s and 1980s were not part of establishment , he was in a very subtle way kicking against the establishment. By the 1990s late late show is becoming stale and yes he was part of establishment by then but modern Ireland was changing then. But in 60s 70s 80s in Ireland you had sectarian civil war in north of the county, poverty , emigration , unemployment , extreme church control , culturally , socially , politically Ireland was a basket case. And Gay Bryne has a role in impacting change in the country , a country that goes from a very conservative country to modern liberal progressive society in a generation. No country in western Europe has undergone the change that Ireland has in the last 40 years. There are many factors and reason for this. Gay Bryne lifting the lid of some many issues that were unspeakable in many cases, was important. And the late late show was incredibly sucessful , and at its core he was lifting the lid on so many important issues and problems . He was unique and no entertainer no broadcaster or journalist in the country had the impact he did. I think thats just a fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Why is "middle-class" a pejorative?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,816 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Every tribute is depicting him as some Ambassador of Moral Breakdown, like that's a good thing.
    Ireland is so far left now it's scary. If you want to identify as a Giraffe in Ireland, then god dam it you're a Giraffe, and anyone who says you're not a Giraffe is a bigot.
    It's all gone a bit TOO far left for me.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

RIP Gay Byrne. One of the few presenters around who didn't bow down to the pcbrigade protected snowflakes. Legend.

Didn't he campaign for same sex marriage?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

Berserker wrote: »
    The 'lost boy' look on the face of Adams was priceless. Like him or loath him, he was rattled that night. Thought he was going to be crowned King of Ireland.

The one I watched just now had Austin Currie, Hugh Leonard, Dermot Ahern, Michael McDowell and Jim Kemmy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kS-4tpsXsU

Is that the one you are referring to ? If not, can you link to the one you've seen, please.

If it is, I think you need to watch it again.

Adams was magnificent in the face of constant petty tripe from all of them, bar Kemmy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Greatest broadcaster in the history of this country, for me. Simple as that. One of a kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,576 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Greatest broadcaster in the history of this country, for me. Simple as that. One of a kind.

Not that hard really the rest are $hite

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

Found him a bit arrogant and difficult to warm to, he always struck me as thinking that he was Ireland incarnate a bit like Haughey in a way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Every tribute is depicting him as some Ambassador of Moral Breakdown, like that's a good thing.
    Ireland is so far left now it's scary. If you want to identify as a Giraffe in Ireland, then god dam it you're a Giraffe, and anyone who says you're not a Giraffe is a bigot.
    It's all gone a bit TOO far left for me.

Yes but Gay was saying we should be more left when we were far too far right.

I don't recall Gay taking up SJW causes like trans rights like Charlie Bird.

Good point there by Graham Norton on RTE:

'He facilitated modern Ireland and in many ways brought it about but you got the feeling he didn't like it when it came'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Letwin_Larry

i grew up in a small rural town. pop 1000+

Ireland was a cesspit (quite literally if you consider Tuam) of secrecy & repression in the 60s & 70s. sex was considered a dirty word. censorship was rife. unmarried mothers/pregnant girls were regularly "run out of town" (usually by their parents)
    i only recall things being opened-up so to speak in the 80s.
    the first time we witnessed a girl having the temerity (courage) to hold onto her baby, and show him/her in town was 1984!

looking around me now at how this little country has changed, it's sometimes hard to comprehend how ****ty things were back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Interesting to hear Michael Parkinson say the fact that he was a teetotaller and a Mass goer made him seem a 'remote' figure at Granada to his colleagues.

But I suppose this aspect also made him the supreme professional, as he was devoted to his work.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

He was the greatest broadcaster in the world imo.

Its rare i actually feel something when well know people pass. I most certainly do now though.

RIP GAYBO!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭KaneToad

You only realize how good gay was when you see poor Tubs on a Friday struggling to be average

Don't like Tubs but it's not his fault. The live chat show genre is dead. In Gay's day, the guests came on to talk - not to plug their latest movie/book/boob job/single. It's slim pickings for RTE 'talent' bookers.

Strazdas wrote: »
    Interesting to hear Michael Parkinson say the fact that he was a teetotaller and a Mass goer made him seem a 'remote' figure at Granada to his colleagues.

But I suppose this aspect also made him the supreme professional, as he was devoted to his work.

You are obviously watching what I am.

In my almost 60 years on this earth I must never have heard him say the word 'provo' before, which is almost as odd and bizarre as his pronunciation of it.

:confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭high_king

PropJoe10 wrote: »

In the kingdom of the blind the one eyed man was king.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭high_king

lol, you must be joking I take it, he was the original pc snowflake

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Ah memories.
    Most of the time he was clumsy to the point of embarassment. Try the Kate Bush interview where he asked her what was her mothers maiden name, or the time he told a Scottish doctor he was too drunk and slow, and the audience turned on uncle Gaybo, or when he asked Tom Waits did he get down with the hobos? And when he annoyed Andrew Sachs as he was doing his Manuel routine.
    Also he was all we had on Friday nights when I was a kid and it wasn't all bad. so RIP Mr Byrne.

Advertisement