Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gay Byrne RIP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

KaneToad wrote: »
    This buffoon (Flynn) spoke on RTE today about Byrne and offered his condolences. A strange contribution.

I love the audience questioner turning his eyes to heaven!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

It's really a contest of verbals between Michael D and McAlleese etc. Who can express themselves in the floweriest English possible and 'catch the mood of the nation'. Looking for a brilliant erudite soundbite.

Sometimes you wonder about genuine sorrow for those that pass like, Brendan Grace, Gay or in Michael D's case Fidel Castro!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,888 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

He does excellent chalice work a genius with a thurible

His monstrance work needs a bit of practice though, when he’s under pressure with that in his two hands you are looking up to heaven with one eye and to the corner at the hoover with the other. Nice lad though, very good to his mother.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

Gay Byrne was an incredible broadcaster, the likes we wont ever see again in this country. Yes there was a rattiness about him and he could rub people up the wrong way but his professionalism and ability to hold an audience for 3+ hours on a Friday night had the nation gripped. Although he was conservative himself by nature he was willing to open up new discussions and challenge his audience, and himself. He's at the pearly gates now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Most of the posters on this forum would have no experience of growing up with the Late Late Show in 2 tv channel Ireland. Hard to imagine it now, no wifi, and the tv shutting down at midnight. That was when he was at his best.

It's unfair judging Byrne for the last 10 years or so of his broadcasts, he was an old man by then and surrounded by sycophants.

If nothing else, the fact he had such a high profile media career in those decades when casual racism, misogyny and sexual harassment were normal in society, and came out scandal free with not even a whisper of impropriety, has to be a measure of a good man.

There are some of us here who are old enough to remember The Late Late Show when RTE1 was the only channel!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

If the papers don't refer to him as the late late Gay Byrne they'll have missed a trick.

You only realize how good gay was when you see poor Tubs on a Friday struggling to be average

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭Ardent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

GB and the late late had a vast impact on Irish culture and entertainment for generations.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Didn't know that it was Eoghan Murphys grandad that cleaned Gaybo out.
    https://m.independent.ie/opinion/comment/sex-politics-drama-law-all-in-the-family-30638849.html

• Advertisement

Didn't know that it was Eoghan Murphys grandad that cleaned Gaybo out.

He must be carrying on the family tradition so

• Registered Users Posts: 8,342 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I heard about Gay Byrne's passing on the Today show this evening on RTÉ One.

I just cannot believe it. A true legend of Irish broadcasting is now gone from our shores.

He has lived a great career while working with Radio Eireann & RTÉ when in Ireland throughout his lifetime.

The programmes he had done were something to be cherished from Irish people that live all around the country & all over the globe.

The Today team from RTÉ Cork did a nice montage of him when the programme ended to make way for Nuacht RTÉ le TG4. It was very well put together.

It's a great tribute to a man who was the consummate professional Irish broadcaster.

RIP Gay Byrne. You will never be forgotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭sondagefaux

171170 wrote: »
    I really enjoyed listening to his jazz shows on Lyric FM, long after he had left RTE. It was very clear that he genuinely loved jazz and his presentation sparkled.

Lyric FM is an RTÉ radio station.

https://www.rte.ie/lyricfm/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,542 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Poor Gay.

He'd some life. Met and had the bants with the worst and the best.

Speaking of the worst... anyone know where I can find a recording of the murderer Joe O'Reilly interview with his mother in law on the Late Late Show?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

His body language in that Pee Flynn interview was telling, I like the open disdain he had for Boyzone 'you don't sing, you don't play instruments well you're going to go far then' wouldn't be surprised if he gave a bollocking to whoever booked them.

The threads for the Late Late in the Television forum usually peter out after it finishes, given the more contentious nature of his tenure people would probably still be arguing weeks later if they were around in his time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

RIP Gaybo. A legend of broadcasting on TV and radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

For a certain generation or two he dragged a hidden Ireland, a silenced Ireland into the light and he changed it for the better. The Annie Murphy interview showed he was beginning to lose touch with the tide of progressivism which has carried us through the collapse of the RCC and SSM and Repeal. RTE luvvies will be tripping over each other now. Gaybo was a class beyond them. Sympathies to his family and peace to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,348 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I remember watching as a kid some of the topics he had up for discussion, it was fairly out there for the early 80s when thousands of people still thought statues were moving around the place.

He only human like the rest of us and sometimes got it wrong but the chat show hosts that came after him weren't even fit to lace his boots.

RIP Gay.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭Professor Genius

Can’t say I’ll miss him. He hated the youth and when he came out against youths and cars I was a young lad. So I can’t say I’d miss him

But will you miss him?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Im actually heartbroken. I love Gaybo

RIP

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭d8491prj5boyvg

He was a class act. In comparison to me, he'd leave me standing if he had a chance at it. He had a well paid job, a well paid job. For all these people criticising him, I wanna tell you something, try it sometime. But remember, it was a well paid job.

RIP Gaybo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

His body language in that Pee Flynn interview was telling, I like the open disdain he had for Boyzone 'you don't sing, you don't play instruments well you're going to go far then' wouldn't be surprised if he gave a bollocking to whoever booked them.

The threads for the Late Late in the Television forum usually peter out after it finishes, given the more contentious nature of his tenure people would probably still be arguing weeks later if they were around in his time.

I always thought that was a tongue in cheek remark but maybe I`m wrong. I think if Boyzone were just starting out now and gave the same performance on the Late Late, Tubridy would make a similar comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,551 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

RIP Gay Byrne :(

He must be at the pearly gates by now. I wonder what he is saying to god?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭d8491prj5boyvg

KaneToad wrote: »
    This buffoon (Flynn) spoke on RTE today about Byrne and offered his condolences. A strange contribution.

What show was that I wonder? Would like to hear it.

• Site Banned Posts: 11 DutchGold98

RIP
    He was such an institution, so many childhood memories, the tunes of both his radio show and the late late are so nostalgic, remind me of my grandad cos he always had him on.

• Site Banned Posts: 11 DutchGold98

And Joe Duffy had a really nice tribute to him - https://www.rte.ie/radio1/liveline/#103243516

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Very sad news.
    Like most, I grew up on the Late Late Show and his radio show and well remember the stir he would cause when he tackled some of the issues of the day head on.
    Over recent years I got to meet Gay, and Kathleen, on many occasions when I did work for them at their home and he was always friendly and welcoming, a gentle man. He always asked how my family were as we sat down for little chats with the cups of coffee he would make for us before getting started.
    Even when he was going through the mill with his treatment, after asking him how he was getting on, he would say how there were people going through much worse things than him, and that by comparison he was doing well.
    In today's culture of short lived nothing-to-contribute-to-society celebrity status, there isn't one of them that will come close to his contribution to broadcasting and Irish society as a whole.
    Rest in Peace Gay. God Bless.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,627 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I mean did he give perfect interviews all down the Years ? No, he didn't but name me one host who has never made a balls of an interview ?

Anyway he really was a legend in Irish broadcasting on both TV and radio. I mean looking through twitter earlier and considering how at times it can really spiteful, I didn't see one decenting voice in relation to gay Byrne.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Knew this would be a sh1t show, ffs. Everything has to be pissed on by malcontents. Everything.

Ground-breaking presenter of a ground-breaking show, which absolutely impacted society. Superb broadcaster and superb interviewer. Yeah I found him unlikable in certain ways but his talent eclipsed that, and compare him to the two since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,627 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Very sad news.
    Like most, I grew up on the Late Late Show and his radio show and well remember the stir he would cause when he tackled some of the issues of the day head on.
    Over recent years I got to meet Gay, and Kathleen, on many occasions when I did work for them at their home and he was always friendly and welcoming, a gentle man. He always asked how my family were as we sat down for little chats with the cups of coffee he would make for us before getting started.
    Even when he was going through the mill with his treatment, after asking him how he was getting on, he would say how there were people going through much worse things than him, and that by comparison he was doing well.
    In today's culture of short lived nothing-to-contribute-to-society celebrity status, there isn't one of them that will come close to his contribution to broadcasting and Irish society as a whole.
    Rest in Peace Gay. God Bless.

I think it's fair to say that his body of work will more than stand the test of time.

Advertisement