Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gay Byrne RIP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Seemed quite pompous and smug, his accent was both heart warming and irritating. Hate that type of Dublin accent that he put on/had.

But overall, my memories of him are being an excited kid and he fit the toy show brilliantly. Just watching his ‘meaning of life’ interview with bono here. Too young to really appreciate his legacy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

How many times did Gay Byrne get screwed over with his money lost a packet over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,440 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Oasis1974 wrote: »
    How many times did Gay Byrne get screwed over with his money lost a packet over the years.

Once by a crook and once by crooks running banks in to the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Mirafiori wrote: »
    I remember this, even though I have not seen it since. His ability to respond so well and authentically to the poor woman in such a difficult and unexpected situation on live TV has stayed with me.

I can't say I am a huge fan of gaybo but this incident was the stuff of nightmares for a live broadcast. Literally worst case scenario. He handled extremely well. In the same scenario Kenny would freeze and tubs would be scrambling through his cards finding out what to say.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 345 ✭✭Tea Shock

The Late Late is on tomorrow night - live, on a Tuesday night

RIP Gaybo! Me mammy has been waiting for you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭Demonique

He was always up his own arse imo.

Not half as much as Pat Kenny though

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Extremely sad news. Gay Byrne was a working class man who rose up through RTE through sheer hard work, unlike many products of nepotism evident today. While I don't agree with how he conducted all his interviews, I think his contribution to Irish society has been immeasurable. We've literally grown up as a nation with this man on the telly.

One caveat though. It's an insult to the memory of this man to have a tribute show presented by Ryan Tubridy, a talent-less beneficiary of nepotism at the taxpayers expense. He simply shouldn't be allowed near something like this. It would be like Joe Duffy doing a tribute show for Terry Wogan.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,816 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

He was a good man who grew up at a time when there was a lot of bad men.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Wasn’t afraid to take on the clergy, politicians and knobs unlike the “bred for the job” clique we have now.

RIP Gaybo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Apart from the toy show, my main memory is his interview with Noel Gallagher after one of their shows at The Point in 1996. This was Oasis was at their peak, obviously Gay wasn't a fan but it was a great interview.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

It was some show alright. Gabo was really wound up and had a slew of Gerry haters on the panel. He was glaring at Adams like the devil had arrived in person in Montrose and of course he refused to shake the hand of his guest, he even stood away from Adams to distance himself from Beelzebub. Gaybo really made a show of himself. Adam's swotted Gay and the panel away like flies. It was one of those occasions when Gaybos political and class bias got in the way of his professionalism and he ended up looking like a bitter has-been.

He was a pretty good broadcaster in many respects , a lot better than the RTE crew today.

It was seriously unprofessional and his west brit class bias was shown to great affect when he would welcome Paisley on his show with open arms and parley with him as if he was Peter Ustinov,not some bigoted Catholic hate merchant involved in arms importations and incitement to murder for loyalist gangs with probably more blood on his hands than Adams.

Thought he was the same class and status as the Guinnesses with his snobiness and criticism of Irish accecnts and grammer when they were mere lackeys for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Invisibleman

boetstark wrote: »
    Ah for fcuk sake Jimmy Saville was a paedophile, which is based on fact.
    You come on a forum of a recently deceased public broadcaster and **** all over it with your personal opinions.
    I really fear for humanity with people like you about.
    Horrible

Good man, totally miss the point

• Registered Users Posts: 7,823 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Gaybo R.I.P.

'De mortuis nihil nisi bonum' applies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

I remember his radio show in the mornings in the early 80's and he introducing Harbor Hotel

Some memories

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Just watching Tubridy there on the news saying how Gay opened opened up conversations in homes workplaces etc as a byproduct of his debates on the late late. Compare this with what passes for debate on the likes of the late late nowadays where generally only one side of an argument is presented and those who oppose it are preached to till they see the error of their ways

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭PostWoke

Was just watching a documentary on Dermot Morgan. Two greats of Irish Media.

Rest in Piece, Mr. Byrne. Awful day for it with all that rain outside. At least he probably felt at home.

Just watching Tubridy there on the news saying how Gay opened opened up conversations in homes workplaces etc as a byproduct of his debates on the late late. Compare this with what passes for debate on the likes of the late late nowadays where generally only one side of an argument is presented and those who oppose it are preached to till they see the error of their ways

Pat Kenny made a similar point, that Gaybo stood up to RTE’s conservatism and fear of litigation and was in no way afraid of making things awkward for the organisation. Now we have blandness and no proper debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,140 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I would hazard a guess a fair few of the disgruntled round here weren't even capable of watching TV when he was on LLS.

Yes he hosted some bad interviews, after all he was at it for 50 odd years.
    And the one with Annie Murphy was particularly bad and showed personal bias, but to claim that meant he was up the hole of the church is seriously showing how little people know of what the LLS show tackled in the 70s/80s.

They had discussions on Aids/condoms as hightlighted earlier, they discussed divorce, abortion, stuff that others dared not touch.

And this was the biggest show on TV and yet they had proper actual adult discussions with both sides represented.

It is very much the opposite of today where we now have huge issues such as immigration where only one side is actually represented on RTE

And it is often the sames gimps complaining about Gay Bryne who would laud the current debates as keeping right wingers off the air.
    If Gaybo used that playbook he really would have been in the arms of the church.

And another bunch of posters are labeling him a west brit because he gave the spokesman for laterally a bunch of murderers a hard time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Pat Kenny made a similar point, that Gaybo stood up to RTE’s conservatism and fear of litigation and was in no way afraid of making things awkward for the organisation. Now we have blandness and no proper debate.
    And this is the environment where extremes thrive sadly

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The LLS died when Gay Byrne left it. It was a serious current affairs programme with some light entertainment thrown in.

Pat Kenny just turned it into the Pat Kenny show of vacuous Z Celebrity waffle.

The caliber of guest certainly nosedived in the aftermath of his departure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

He was a good man who grew up at a time when there was a lot of bad men.

???.

Demonique wrote: »
    Not half as much as Pat Kenny though

The funny thing about Pat Kenny is that he is publicly “up his own @rse”;, but I saw a very different side to that when I met him in the RTE bar after an episode of Kenny Live, where I had had brought a transplant recipient guest on his show. He asked me to hold his newly poured pint of Guinness as he went in to the jax for a leak, then spent lots of time talking with me, very much a non-vip. He asked “how did you think the show went tonight?” and I paid a suitable compliment to which he answered “is that your real opinion, cos I think I really could have done a bit better on x and I’ll be thinking tomorrow that I could have done this or that and why didn’t I”. I found him quite self-effacing and there were lots of “important” people in that bar he could have been keeping company with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

They played this on Liveline earlier. It brought me right back to the early '90s, getting ready for school on rainy mornings, searching for my spelling book, the smell of the Superser heater and burnt toast in the kitchen, my mother threatening to kill me if I don't "get a bloody move on, it's after 9".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Sad news but not unexpected.

He was a part of the life of the country. Genuine legend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

They played this on Liveline earlier. It brought me right back to the early '90s, getting ready for school on rainy mornings, searching for my spelling book, the smell of the Superser heater and burnt toast in the kitchen, my mother threatening to kill me if I don't "get a bloody move on, it's after 9".

:):) This has brought back happy memories except my time was the 70's:):)

RIP Gay Byrne.
    A fantastic broadcaster, maybe I wasn't enamoured at certain times (Annie Murphy) but he was a colossus at home and very highly regarded abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,973 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Is Mike Murphy (from winning streak) still knocking around?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Extremely sad news. Gay Byrne was a working class man who rose up through RTE through sheer hard work, unlike many products of nepotism evident today. While I don't agree with how he conducted all his interviews, I think his contribution to Irish society has been immeasurable. We've literally grown up as a nation with this man on the telly.

One caveat though. It's an insult to the memory of this man to have a tribute show presented by Ryan Tubridy, a talented beneficiary of nepotism at the taxpayers expense. He simply shouldn't be allowed near something like this. It would be like Joe Duffy doing a tribute show for Terry Wogan.

I assume you mean talentless? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Better than the local radio death notices that I had to listen to over breakfast. My father was obsessed. Such a depressing start to each day. :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 428 ✭✭blueshade

I enjoyed it back in the day but the only time I've watched it over the past decade or so is for the toy show and that has become unrecognisable from what it was. It's not so much a toy show anymore as a talent show for kids. I feel sorry for kids who don't know what the real toy show looked like. Last years toy show was the end of it for me, I won't be watching it anymore. Under Gay it was a proper toy show with a bit of Billy Barry kids, now it's kids singing and dancing with a few toys thrown in and some random precocious kids. Even last year with the blind Traveler child it felt very ''woke''.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 Mirafiori

SeaFields wrote: »
    I can't say I am a huge fan of gaybo but this incident was the stuff of nightmares for a live broadcast. Literally worst case scenario. He handled extremely well. In the same scenario Kenny would freeze and tubs would be scrambling through his cards finding out what to say.

I think he had to ask the poor woman a question too, for whatever prize was involved. Imagine one the successors dealing with that little situation!

Advertisement