Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gay Byrne RIP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Anyone know what the deal with Tayto? Apparently people going mad over a tweet about his death.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Duffy on the phone Aonghus, fanning and that one Terry prone on Irl am in studio now.. I have enough of it now

• Registered Users Posts: 15,387 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Duffy on the phone Aonghus, fanning and that one Terry prone on Irl am in studio now.. I have enough of it now

There’s gonna be weeks and months of this yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

There’s gonna be weeks and months of this yet!
    Prone is some dose in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

It is an indication of the quality of his broadcasting that over the length of his career that people can only point to the very few interviews that were duds. He wasn't infallible and given the length of his career he was forgiven for a few misses. I guess that's the way the Late Late show has gone. Byrne could do 99 professional, on point, entertaining interviews but he gets lambasted for grilling Annie Murphy or for showing disdain for Gerry Adams. He set a high standard and nowadays we see Tubridy doing 99 bland and mediocre “interviews” but then getting praised to the hilt for one which was actually par for the course for Byrne. I've always thought Byrne was the epitome of professionalism. Well researched, well prepared and well executed. Class. May he RIP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,387 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

RIP to him
    And condolences to his family

But like always RTÉ are going to drag the absolute arse out of this and go way way OTT

• Registered Users Posts: 67,202 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

high_king wrote: »
    They didn't listen to him much on RTE then, or were still attempting the thinly veiled cute huir cover for him. He wasn't that hard to read and wanted you to know, but not enough that he could be directly accused of it. One of the weasel things that let him down actually, and took away from his genuinely excellent light entertainment skills.

Yes, you probably knew he was a Roman Catholic, but my sister and Mum are Roman Catholics of very different religious beliefs. Gay kept what he 'actually' believed close to his chest.
    As he did with what political party he favoured at any one time.
    And he rarely, if ever, introduced a topic for discussion in the context of his feelings or position on them (with the exception of NI and Brussel Sprouts) that is why he was such a good interviewer and chairman of a debate.

You may guess at things...but you 'don't know'. He was the opposite of PC in that regard, you know exactly where you stand with someone who is PC because they tiresomely tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

He does excellent chalice work a genius with a thurible

From the Tabernacle to the Coffin, he is a solid "box to box" priest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Strazdas wrote: »
    Interesting to hear Michael Parkinson say the fact that he was a teetotaller and a Mass goer made him seem a 'remote' figure at Granada to his colleagues.

But I suppose this aspect also made him the supreme professional, as he was devoted to his work.

I think that's one fact that Michael Parkinson got wrong. I recall someone who knew Gay Byrne saying yesterday that he did have a drink.

I think that's one fact that Michael Parkinson got wrong. I recall someone who knew Gay Byrne saying yesterday that he did have a drink.

He was in his early years I believe. Took a drink later in life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Listening to Tubs now, in fairness it's good, he's playing some funny clips ..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭safetyboy

That time pop will eat itself :pac: wrecked the show

Calhoun wrote: »
    Anyone know what the deal with Tayto? Apparently people going mad over a tweet about his death.

Tweeted a tribute with a sad faced Mr Tayto. And the PC eternally offended brigade went a bit mad.

When I pop my clogs Mr Tayto may be penniless, there be times I think I am keeping that factory going!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Akabusi

RIP

He was the ultimate professional. Worked very hard and always aspired for perfection, a great role model really.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

RIP Gay. A true icon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Whenever I thought of him it brought back feelings of nostalgia from my childhood. I loved him on the TV and radio to be honest. Legend.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

Prone is some dose in fairness

They all are. They never miss a chance to publicise themselves.

A good radio voice should be soothing and disarming. Most of the current RTE radio presenters have grating annoying voices that make you want to turn off immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

A good radio voice should be soothing and disarming. Most of the current RTE radio presenters have grating annoying voices that make you want to turn off immediately.
    I unfortunately agree. Gerry Ryan was another legend on the radio. Would tune into these guys all day. Find it hard to do with RTE radio these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

safetyboy wrote: »

That time pop will eat itself :pac: wrecked the show

Remember that well. Great song. And love the way Gay just shrugs at the end, like a tolerant schoolmaster, barely skipping a beat.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Calhoun wrote: »
    Gay had just Cashed in his Crisps !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

He was in his early years I believe. Took a drink later in life.
    He was a moderate drinker in later life and liked a whiskey. He had no time for heavy drinking and saw the damage that such drinking had on family life especially among the poorer sectors of society.
    The usual Shinner element criticised him for his attitude to wearing the Poppy etc but he did come from a Dublin working class environment where many families had either lost parents, uncles etc in World War 1 or where many survivors with serious injuries were still living.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭dvdman1

dd973 wrote: »
    Found him a bit arrogant and difficult to warm to, he always struck me as thinking that he was Ireland incarnate a bit like Haughey in a way.

You didnt need to warm to him...he extracted good interviews from guests, thats where the talent was, it made for great tv....warm furry likable people arent always good interviewers. ...the mere fact that guests were being interviewed by Gay Byrne was a major draw for in itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Came across an anecdote recently from ferdia mac anna who was a late late researcher back in the day. They had the singer Dory Previn on the show and she agreed on the proviso that Gay didnt ask about her recent abortion. Gay duly promised not to raise it.

One of first questions asked: abortion. A very strained, difficult interview followed and much controversy, but also publicity and increased ratings. Ruthless you'd have to say, but great broadcasters were like that, it was all about ratings, all about the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

RIP Gay,

The Late Late hasnt come close to how good it was when he presented it, maybe different times and a time that RTE could attract the biggest names to come on the show but what made the show great was that all the guests stayed on after their interview with Gay, its something that works and The Graham Norton Show does this as well, guests can interact with each other

Also hearing the theme tune to the radio show has brought back memories of hearing that while standing at the front door of my parents house waiting for the school bus

Listening to Tubs now, in fairness it's good, he's playing some funny clips ..
    Don't worry. He'll **** up the tribute show the same way Kenny ****ed up the Joe Dolan tribute. When you are talentless you can only get away so long with the bluffing

Came across an anecdote recently from ferdia mac anna who was a late late researcher back in the day. They had the singer Dory Previn on the show and she agreed on the proviso that Gay didnt ask about her recent abortion. Gay duly promised not to raise it.

One of first questions asked: abortion. A very strained, difficult interview followed and much controversy, but also publicity and increased ratings. Ruthless you'd have to say, but great broadcasters were like that, it was all about ratings, all about the show.
    A "Bishop Len Brennan" moment so

• Registered Users Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

RIP Gay,

The Late Late hasnt come close to how good it was when he presented it, maybe different times and a time that RTE could attract the biggest names to come on the show but what made the show great was that all the guests stayed on after their interview with Gay, its something that works and The Graham Norton Show does this as well, guests can interact with each other

Also hearing the theme tune to the radio show has brought back memories of hearing that while standing at the front door of my parents house waiting for the school bus

Actually, generally speaking, the earlier guests did not stay on when the next guests arrived. There were exceptions when The Late Late Show was doing a special tribute to someone or some act, usually musical. That has not changed. The other exception was when The Late Late had a fixed panel. That idea was tried on various occasions during its long run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

The tribute show is going on air a day after his death so am I right in assuming it’s archive material?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

He is so much part of RTE that you would nearly expect him to be on himself , about his passing .

• Advertisement

KWAG2019 wrote: »
    The tribute show is going on air a day after his death so am I right in assuming it’s archive material?
    I presume it wil be a lineup of the usual suspects spouting predictable ****e

Advertisement