Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Healthcare assistant jailed for 11 years for rape of woman with Alzheimer's

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,865 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Just to be clear -

I started the thread because I thought the Judge deserved credit for the sentence he handed down in this particular case, as all too often complaints are made that sentencing for these types of crimes is considered too lenient.

When I started the thread, there was no mention of the perpetrators name in the article I quoted from the RTÉ website. My intent in starting the thread wasn’t just to fuel more shìte talk about migrants. There’s enough of those types of threads in CA already.

As an example of more Judges deserving credit where it’s due for sentencing for this type of crime, there’s another case today in the news where the perpetrator is appealing the length of his sentence where he was sentenced to 14 years -

Rapist Patrick Nevin appeals severity of 14-year sentence, DPP counter appeals

No bollocks talk about “sending him home”, because you can’t. Send him to hell for all I care. I don’t care whether or not the perpetrator in the case I started this thread with is or isn’t a migrant either. He could just as easily be born and bred Irish for all anyone knows or cares. I certainly didn’t care who or where he was from at the time when I made the thread and there was no mention of his name.

The more pertinent fact was that he committed a despicable act against another human being and was handed what I thought was a fair and appropriate sentence, although I do accept it’s a fair point that he should have gotten a longer sentence in this case. The point was more so that all too often Judges are perceived to hand down lenient sentences, and this one deserved to be highlighted and the Judge given credit for the length of the sentence in this particular case.

Well said OP. Regrettably it’s turned into yet another xenophobia thread as a result, no fault of your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭thegetawaycar

Can the discussion on racism posts be removed?

Personally I would only have 1 reason for wanting to know if this person was Irish or not and that would be to know that he could be deported away from Ireland post incarceration and to have 1 less scumbag on our shores.

A horrible crime for anyone to commit and on some of the most vulnerable in our community, it's already a huge cause of angst moving a beloved family member from their home to a care facility, knowing stuff like this happens makes it even worse.

I feel sorry for his wife and kids knowing their father/husband is a complete low-life, vile human being who had no remorse and only plead guilty when DNA had already proved it.

My heart goes out to the victim and their family.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

this was done so easily i would definitely look at his work history and see could he have done this before.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭Odhinn

well as we had a referendum in 2004 to stop automatic citizenship, as he himself is not a citizen, lets call it 'the most likely option'

How do you know hes not a citizen?

• Registered Users Posts: 54,701 ✭✭✭✭walshb

MFPM wrote: »

Ah, you're revealing more and more here....'importing' is an interesting phrase to use.

Revealing nothing, although you seem to be searching

Bringing in, importing, allowing in....use whatever phrase you want....

A whole lot of people entering this country that are not Irish nationals we know little about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

well as we had a referendum in 2004 to stop automatic citizenship, as he himself is not a citizen, lets call it 'the most likely option'

He could be a naturalised citizen and his children could have been born after that point. We can take from the article that he has been in Ireland for 15 years, plenty of time to earn citizenship.

Anyhoo, very odd to think that his children should be punished for his crimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Is it not a healthier discussion for everyone to figure out better protections for the elderly, they are some of the easiest targets and unfortunately receive less protection than children. Would a situation where two carers must be present in any bedroom/bathroom or other private situation? Would surely severely reduce the risk.

I can see the increased cost, it is at least a stick to force total transparency from the nursing home sector

Can we just simply commiserate how awful the crime itself is without all the dropping him out of a plane type stuff? That cup is not in need of filling. Besides if there is so little regard for the foreign nationality what regard is there for the foreign nation to properly exact justice for the crime committed in Ireland? Leave it out IMHO. Move forward: perhaps some more legally ordained oversight of nursing and hospice facilities should be campaigned for, awareness of these dangers, heck even where to buy cameras to protect your loved ones and the myriad of ways to hide them for their safety and to keep staff everywhere at least suspicious that a few people more than Jesus will be watching them if they think about abusing patients.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Liamo57

His family should not have to suffer because of his crime although they will have to live with this for the rest of their lives also. Nevin will get out eventually, go back to the Halting site he came from and continue to claim Jobseekers Allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,704 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

That dangerous bint "Dr" Ebun Joseph has weighed in.

He "took advantage of her" is the synopsis.

She's rightly getting her hole kicked on twitter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭MFPM

padd b1975 wrote: »

Hold on a second....Why are you putting 'Dr' in inverted commas are you suggesting she's lying about her PhD?

Secondly, can you leave the misogyny at the door - if you want to critique someone's ideas then do that without the abuse and if you don't possess the intellect to do such a thing perhaps consider staying quiet.

The law would not have been involved if he did that to my mother

If it was my mother the law would be involved, but it would be me in the dock.

Danzy wrote: »
    Given the severity of his crime, why isn't he on a plane out of here, back home.

Because there is no guarantee of him not returning back here, no guarantee of him seeing jailtime. He did the crime here, I'm glad he's serving time here.

She’s “rightly” having “her hole kicked” for saying the convicted rapist “took advantage” of the victim?

Am I missing something here?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

still waiting for an answer.
    If the children have citizenship then I assume the mother will care for them.
    Or do you think the children should be with their father at home in Nigeria?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Overheal wrote: »
    She’s “rightly” having “her hole kicked” for saying the convicted rapist “took advantage” of the victim?

Am I missing something here?

No she didn't say anything wrong.

What she said was

Care worker who raped resident jailed for 11 yrs. This is heartbreaking. No one should be allowed to take advantage of a vulnerable person.

No she didn't say anything wrong.

What she said was

Care worker who raped resident jailed for 11 yrs. This is heartbreaking. No one should be allowed to take advantage of a vulnerable person.

So people heard

Not

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Not sure where people are getting that he isnt a citizen, he has been here for 15 years so it is highly likely that he is. Some posters have asserted that he is not a citizen with absolutely zero evidence to back it up, using it as a ruse to disguise their own racist tendencies.

Im wondering though why his name has been released but there doesnt seem to be any pictures of him in the media. A family member of the victim of this savage crime was on radio earlier so the family are not seeking anonymity here. There should be a picture of him published so everyone knows what he looks like and can give him a wide berth when he eventually gets released.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭joseywhales

If it was my mother the law would be involved, but it would be me in the dock.

So three lives ruined instead of two?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Not sure where people are getting that he isnt a citizen, he has been here for 15 years so it is highly likely that he is. Some posters have asserted that he is not a citizen with absolutely zero evidence to back it up, using it as a ruse to disguise their own racist tendencies.

Im wondering though why his name has been released but there doesnt seem to be any pictures of him in the media. A family member of the victim of this savage crime was on radio earlier so the family are not seeking anonymity here. There should be a picture of him published so everyone knows what he looks like and can give him a wide berth when he eventually gets released.

There was a picture of him the the Star today. I'm sure there's other media outlets won't picture him because he's black

• Advertisement

There was a picture of him the the Star today. I'm sure there's other media outlets won't picture him because he's black

Do tell how you came up with that notion?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Do tell how you came up with that notion?

Its very common for media outlets to do that, bbc referring to every muslim arrested as ‘asian’ RTE often downplay or wont talk about race when its a story about somebody foreign.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

Because there is no guarantee of him not returning back here, no guarantee of him seeing jailtime. He did the crime here, I'm glad he's serving time here.

what I thought I didnt understand was early release, should not be early release, I dont understand that in any crime, but especially crimes of certain natures.
    That said, I dont see why he cant have his nationality stripped following completion of sentence, what employment prospect could he have? care workers are fairly low down on the payscale, what employer would take the risk in any job? will surely be on the sex offenders register, so basically cant secure a job anywhere near vulnerable people or shouldn't, therefore he would be on state benefits, I see no reason why he couldnt re-obtain his nationality of country of origin and be deported.

I think it should be a requirement that dual nationality should be retained/mandated where a detailed history for an Individual cannot be established or cannot be relied upon. In the event of a such a serious crime, 5yrs imprisonment hard labour and then deported, and yes there are Irish nationals where Ireland is their country of origin who commit crimes as bad as this, Id be happy enough for them to have life imprisonment interned on some prison rock off the mainland.
    Plenty of scum who have no place to roam freely.

What you seem to be saying is we/this State cannot control who enters our Borders? It might be possible for someone to sneak back in, but in such a case, I think if they had already been deported, then it should be a simple matter to remove them again. That said, we should have agrrements with the UK to prevent them entering the ROI via the UK by ctching them there and vica versa and within the EU.
    I cannot understand how anyone could defend allowing this person or anyone of a similar ilk remaining after they complete their sentence, should not have any opportunity to be allowed to roam free again in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Again - key information missing here:

What nursing home did he ‘work’ in

What other organisations with access to vulnerable people did he work in

Was there proper garda vetting done - not just him filling out a form but someone checking up and verifying the derails before a casual rubber stamp was given.

What changes are going to be demanded on ‘self declared’ garda vetting from outside Irelnd Nd people coming to Ireland whose criminal history we have no chance of checking unless they decide to delare it themselves.

When are agencies and care facilities going to stop getting their quotas of workers by insteucting people in the dole to work for them or lose their benefits, by beinv allowed access to the interiors of social welfare waiting rooms and hanging around dole ques and giving out leaflets from 20 year old cars to people queing in the likes of Cumberland St dole csntres and Lidl carparks.

Its very common for media outlets to do that, bbc referring to every muslim arrested as ‘asian’ RTE often downplay or wont talk about race when its a story about somebody foreign.

That's dishonest bollix.....you seriously suggesting that non Irish native people who commit crimes don't appear in media outlets?

As for the 'Muslim' nonsense...how often do you see people who are arrested/convicted of a crime referred to by their religion...Catholic robs bank, Protestant assaults man?

Hold on a second....Why are you putting 'Dr' in inverted commas are you suggesting she's lying about her PhD?

She's not the type of doctor who'd be useful in the golden hour now is she?
    Unless you wanted to hear how privileged and racist you are as you lay dieing on the side of the road.

Have a read of her 'thesis' that's linked to on the statues thread, a couple of respected posters have seriously questions about how she managed to graduate on the back of such drivel.

As for the 'Muslim' nonsense...how often do you see people who are arrested/convicted of a crime referred to by their religion...Catholic robs bank, Protestant assaults man?

Quite a lot actually in this part of the world over the past fifty years or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

More likely to protect the anonymity of his victim because I'm sure she and her family wants privacy. Everyone so concerned about her until it comes to disclosing information that may identify her and then all that concern goes out the window

Unless you wanted to hear how privileged and racist you are as you lay dieing on the side of the road.

Have a read of her 'thesis' that's linked to on the statues thread, a couple of respected posters have seriously questions about how she managed to graduate on the back of such drivel.

You didn't answer my question you simply produce more nonsense...Now are you suggesting that she lied about her PhD and she is not a doctor?

Tell me are you disputing the Dr status of all people who have PhDs or just Black women you disagree with?

Have they now, how do you know they are 'respected' what makes you think the examiners of Dr Joseph's thesis weren't respected? Seriously you need to grow up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

https://newzandar.com/2020/07/31/emmanuel-adeniji-a-nigerian-healthcare-assistant-jailed-for-11-years-for-raping-73-year-old-woman-with-alzheimers-in-dublin/

This article from a Nigerian news website refers to him as Nigerian.

“Emmanuel Adeniji: a Nigerian Healthcare assistant jailed for 11 years for raping 73-year-old woman with Alzheimer’s in Dublin”

Advertisement