Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Healthcare assistant jailed for 11 years for rape of woman with Alzheimer's

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭MFPM

Gatling wrote: »
    Give him a hug instead yeah !

Yeah, that's what I said, cop on with the juvenile behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

MFPM wrote: »
    Yeah, that's what I said, cop on with the juvenile behaviour.

So deportation then .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭hamburgham

Major claim incoming against the Nursing Home now. And rightly so. For once in my life I can agree with a claim for damages, well that's if the family take a case.

Sorry, don’t agree. What happened was horrific and hopefully perpetuater serves a long sentence. However, claims culture is also sick.It’s pure greed, nothing else. There is no amount of money which can undo what was done to that woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,172 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

hamburgham wrote: »
    Sorry, don’t agree. What happened was horrific and hopefully perpetuater serves a long sentence. However, claims culture is also sick.It’s pure greed, nothing else. There is no amount of money which can undo what was done to that woman.This is just the relations cashing in and quite frankly turning it into a money making opportunity.

A claim is the only way that the business can be punished if they were negligent.

Without the ability to claim against businesses, or the willingness to make claims, then there is no incentive for them to do their due diligence.

There is a world of a difference between someone getting a scrape on their bumper and trying to claim 100k for trauma and a family taking a case against a nursing home into whose responsibility they placed the care of a vulnerable loved one. It is not necessarily about the money - it can be about getting a finding that they made mistakes etc. (if they did)

Sorry, don’t agree. What happened was horrific and hopefully perpetuater serves a long sentence. However, claims culture is also sick.It’s pure greed, nothing else. There is no amount of money which can undo what was done to that woman.This is just the relations cashing in and quite frankly turning it into a money making opportunity.

That is one of the most ridiculous, and frankly, bizarre takes on this situation.

I don't know, and don't want to know, how your mind works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭hamburgham

That is one of the most ridiculous, and frankly, bizarre takes on this situation.

I don't know, and don't want to know, how your mind works.

Sorry???You find it bizarre that I don’t have money signs before my eyes? Says more about you.

Again, no amount of money will undo what was done to that woman.Those responsible should be sacked if they didn’t carry out vetting but as already been said, any vetting is probably fairly limited. I do not believe sueing as a first resort rather than as a last resort is the way to establish this.

Also remember they are often desperate for staff and often only people desperate for money will do the work. There is literally no money you could give me to work in a nursing home.So to turn around and decide you want to make the nursing home “ pay” for what happened says more to me about greed than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,714 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Overheal wrote: »
    I’m not seeing the problem with the vernacular? Are you just upset she wasn’t more graphic, in a tweet?

No not graphic, but she really didn't pull up any trees in her condemnation.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,971 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

padd b1975 wrote: »
    No not graphic, but she really didn't pull up any trees in her condemnation.

Seems like faux outrage to me. So she didn’t use more thunderous and dramatic language. Oh well. I haven’t either. I just said it’s heinous. Not trying to impress anyone calling for his castration etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

Danzy wrote: »
    Given the severity of his crime, why isn't he on a plane out of here, back home.

Because thanks to the EU we can't deport them.

Sorry???You find it bizarre that I don’t have money signs before my eyes? Says more about you.

Again, no amount of money will undo what was done to that woman.Those responsible should be sacked if they didn’t carry out vetting but as already been said, any vetting is probably fairly limited. I do not believe sueing as a first resort rather than as a last resort is the way to establish this.

Also remember they are often desperate for staff and often only people desperate for money will do the work. There is literally no money you could give me to work in a nursing home.So to turn around and decide you want to make the nursing home “ pay” for what happened says more to me about greed than anything else.

No I find it bizarre that you would think that the relatives of the person abused should not be compensated in some way, even if only for the years of counselling they will need to go through.

I'm sure if given the opportunity, they would gladly forego any money to have this horrific ordeal to have never happen, but I certainly feel that they should be no way out of pocket for any treatment or help they need as a result of this.

But your tone and demeanor suggests they are in it for a cash grab. I dispute that and doubt it very much.

Even the "money signs before my eyes" comment is a little distasteful in my opinion but sure, according to you I'm one of those "quick to sue" perpetual victims I suppose, so I'm probably looking to be offended.

• Advertisement

Compo culture is a touchy subject. Either way I don't see the issue with using the justice system to determine whether the nursing facility was negligent in its duties, which would likely arise if they knew about/failed to prevent the assaults. The fact it happened isn't prima facie evidence that they were criminally negligent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

While the love rapist lobbyists pontificate about money on this forum I am still waiting to see what nursing hime ge was working in and why no media outlet has seen fit to report this bit of key information.

While the love rapist lobbyists pontificate about money on this forum I am still waiting to see what nursing hime ge was working in and why no media outlet has seen fit to report this bit of key information.

Post which one and the facility would be picketed against, harassed, or worse. I think a situation like the Red Hen incident in the US would be understating possible outcomes to that. Despite no clear evidence that they did any wrongdoing.

If you're concerned about a loved one just go ahead and take precautions now, be aware of Ireland wiretapping laws but consider setting up some safeguards, some were mentioned earlier in the thread like getting your loved one a private room and install a hidden camera (pending legalities). You could also pointedly ask your facility if it was the one affected, they might tell you no, they might tell you they can't comment. The perp lived in Kilcock, Co. Kildare, so he indeed could have worked at any number of facilities in commuting range.

I imagine in part for the sake of all the families affected. They're entitled to privacy and naming it might jeopardise further investigations into other potential victims.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,172 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    Because thanks to the EU we can't deport them.

It has nothing to do with the EU. That's the kind of waffle Brexiteers believe

• Registered Users Posts: 34,061 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I just hope it was the only time he did it.

15 years in the industry is long time. He was planning this for some time. I really hope nobody else suffered.

My heart goes out to the family and the victim. I dont think I forget about it too easily. Heartbreaking story

• Registered Users Posts: 40,991 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

paw patrol wrote: »
    I see your point but I don't agree. Yes of course the main fact should be the rape and given the circumstances it was a horrible betrayal of trust - not one person doesn't understand that.

But there is the foreign element, he has come here to benefit from our society build by us and our families. And has repaid the Irish nation like this. That's an extra kick in the stones.

I'd deported all foreign rapists, I can't deport the Irish ones for obvious reasons but don't think I hold them in any better regard.

Nah - a lot of people here are twisting this into a sick racist agenda and couldnt give a **** about the woman who was raped. All they care about is "the rapist was foreign".

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DelaneyIn

The papers are reporting that he came to Ireland illegally, got leave to remain when he had a kid here and that it’s unlikely that he will be deported upon completion of his sentence.

https://twitter.com/DonCarlo66/status/1289841958723022848/photo/1

I wonder what background checks were conducted?

DelaneyIn wrote: »
    The papers are reporting that he came to Ireland illegally, got leave to remain when he had a kid here and that it’s unlikely that he will be deported upon completion of his sentence.

https://twitter.com/DonCarlo66/status/1289841958723022848/photo/1

I wonder what background checks were conducted?

Suprise ,suprise .

What background checks none likely

• Registered Users Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

So he came here illegally from Nigeria in 2000. Puts in an application for asylum status, but then he dropped the asylum case when his baby was born. Well well well, why am I not surprised, an Anker baby would give it automatic citizenship within the space of two years of him breaking the law and entering the country illegally.

What really boiled my p*ss was Justice McDermot taking into account that the rapist had otherwise lived a blameless and hardworking life. . . . . forgetting the fact that he was a criminal the moment he stepped foot in our country illegally. God only knows what he has done. TBH the thought of it turns my stomach. Abuse and heinous attacks on the elderly is something that affects me to me, if I was to explain what happened to my nanny and grandad, it would be too much of a coincidence for some to comprehend.

It's "unlikely" he'll be deported when he finishes his sentence, and with it being Ireland, the land of "Cead Mile Failte" His family will be looked after so will he when gets out. When his sentence is finished, his citizenship should be revoked and he should be deported to his own country. Him breaking the law and entering the country illegally in the first place, should be more than enough to deport a degenerate who broke the law twice. Both being serious crimes. Its bad enough we have our own filth that do these vile crimes but to import and entertain them??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

So he came here illegally from Nigeria in 2000. Puts in an application for asylum status, but then he dropped the asylum case when his baby was born. Well well well, why am I not surprised, an Anker baby would give it automatic citizenship within the space of two years of him breaking the law and entering the country illegally.

What really boiled my p*ss was Justice McDermot taking into account that the rapist had otherwise lived a blameless and hardworking life. . . . . forgetting the fact that he was a criminal the moment he stepped foot in our country illegally. God only knows what he has done. TBH the thought of it turns my stomach. Abuse and heinous attacks on the elderly is something that affects me to me, if I was to explain what happened to my nanny and grandad, it would be too much of a coincidence for some to comprehend.

It's "unlikely" he'll be deported when he finishes his sentence, and with it being Ireland, the land of "Cead Mile Failte" His family will be looked after so will he when gets out. When his sentence is finished, his citizenship should be revoked and he should be deported to his own country. Him breaking the law and entering the country illegally in the first place, should be more than enough to deport a degenerate who broke the law twice. Both being serious crimes. Its bad enough we have our own filth that do these vile crimes but to import and entertain them??

Here illegally
    Judge said he showed no remorse

This is the new Ireland.

His legal status to remain here is now null and void.
    Deport this criminal after the lengthy prison sentence

• Registered Users Posts: 10,164 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Why was his picture not all over the news?
    There was a case a day before of a road rage incident allegedly against a politician, and the perpetrators picture was all over the news....

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Normal One

BuT WaT aBoUt aRr HoMeGrOwN rapists?!?!

Simple Irish media are either afraid to identify him or they are pretending it didn't happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

tom1ie wrote: »
    Why was his picture not all over the news?
    There was a case a day before of a road rage incident allegedly against a politician, and the perpetrators picture was all over the news....

The media decides what's best for the people

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

A traveller with multiple convictions was convicted of brutally raping a ninety year old woman about ten years ago, while today fm radio highlighted this fact, RTE did not disclose it

Of course if a traveller becomes a senator or gains a PHD, its very important to point to the ethnicity

Same deal here

Overheal wrote: »
    If you're concerned about a loved one just go ahead and take precautions now, be aware of Ireland wiretapping laws but consider setting up some safeguards, some were mentioned earlier in the thread like getting your loved one a private room and install a hidden camera (pending legalities).

Safeguards bug a loved ones room and hidden CCTV .

How bout we safeguard number 1 we stop allowing these animals a real right to permanently stay here regardless of what crimes they commit ,

Put our people first .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

What absolute dross -
    this from the continuous right of this vile rapist defender. Expected no better.

Still no word from any media on what nursing home this vermin was working in. Given the way people are staying away in droves from
    this defend the rapist rights thread one can expect
    little.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,991 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

What absolute dross -
    this from the continuous right of this vile rapist defender. Expected no better.

Still no word from any media on what nursing home this vermin was working in. Given the way people are staying away in droves from
    this defend the rapist rights thread one can expect
    little.

Stop posting lies. Noone here is defending the rapist.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Is it a fact or an assumption his family came to Ireland illegally?

Not that I don’t as a American find the whole concept of “illegal entry” being an original sin to be little more than a conservative cop-out.

Advertisement