Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Healthcare assistant jailed for 11 years for rape of woman with Alzheimer's

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Her daughter told the Central Criminal Court: "We always said we will dread the day she loses her memory but now one day we hope she wakes up and doesn't remember".

Jesus, that hit like a ton of bricks. Can't even imagine the pain this has caused, I'm not sure if I want him deported where he'll be a free man or locked up here...

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭jolter

What a horrible bastard

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Jeju

In a case like this is the police force of his home nation informed of the offence in case he has committed similar there?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

the children should not pay for the crimes of the father
    And the welfare state shouldnt have to pay to support the children of a man who is in prison and those kids arent irish citizens
    do you know that the kids arent citizens?

still waiting for an answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,965 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Horrendous crime...

Man had no previous convictions either....odd. None that are reported, anyway

I wonder what age group he is........

Poor woman.....devastating thing to happen.

• Advertisement

Danzy wrote: »
    Given the severity of his crime, why isn't he on a plane out of here, back home.

Has it been established that he is not an Irish citizen, and can be deported?

11 is mild - should have gotten longer.

In Ireland this sentence is not at all mild

And this is the effing problem....

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Murple

walshb wrote: »
    Horrendous crime...

Man had no previous convictions either....odd. None that are reported, anyway

I wonder what age group he is........

Poor woman.....devastating thing to happen.

He’s in his 50s.
    I’m sure the inmates of the prison he goes to will look after him very well when they hear what he’s in for.

Murple wrote: »
    He’s in his 50s.
    I’m sure the inmates of the prison he goes to will look after him very well when they hear what he’s in for.

Thanks.

This is a myth...

These prisoners are well protected inside....the man will be housed with similar type criminals. It is the duty of the state to ensure prisoners are kept as safe as possible whilst inside..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

I think people are too focused on the nationality of the rapist.

I see your point but I don't agree. Yes of course the main fact should be the rape and given the circumstances it was a horrible betrayal of trust - not one person doesn't understand that.

But there is the foreign element, he has come here to benefit from our society build by us and our families. And has repaid the Irish nation like this. That's an extra kick in the stones.

I'd deported all foreign rapists, I can't deport the Irish ones for obvious reasons but don't think I hold them in any better regard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

still waiting for an answer.

well as we had a referendum in 2004 to stop automatic citizenship, as he himself is not a citizen, lets call it 'the most likely option'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

This kind of thing is not a spur of the moment action.
    I'm sure hes done this before but this is the time hes been caught.

Brendog wrote: »

I am kind of thinking the same thing

Seems odd that he gets to 52 and suddenly does something so "out of character" if he has never done anything at all similar....

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭MrsBean

Has it been established that he is not an Irish citizen, and can be deported?

Where has it been established that he's not an Irish citizen? A lot of guess-work going on in this thread. Is it the fact that he has a 'Nigerian' name in a BBC article? The article gives no details as to his heritage or his citizenship which he could have acquired.
    It is being assumed that he is not an Irish citizen.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I am kind of thinking the same thing

Seems odd that he gets to 52 and suddenly does something so "out of character" if he has never done anything at all similar....

It might explain why he works in the industry he does. Easy access to victims unable to fight back and often unable to verbalise what happened

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

well as we had a referendum in 2004 to stop automatic citizenship, as he himself is not a citizen, lets call it 'the most likely option'

well either way, punishing the kids for their father's sins seems pretty medieval to me. Deport him by all means however.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

MrsBean wrote: »

Safe to assume he’s not irish anyway

And he’s not a man either. Get him OUT

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Wehad an elderly vulnerable relative in a nursing hime who repeatedly said a naked man was coming into their room at night. We got zero traction fromtje ( hostile & foreign) nursing staff who laughed it off nor from the head of nursing who when threatened with legal action suddenly moved job - then the ‘GDPR’ excuses of not discussing patients with others or family members was trotted out -then lockdown.

Nobody has said where this monster worked for the 14 years nor what nursing home he was convicted from. I’d be extremely interested in knowing.

Sex predatorspick environments snd people who they know they have greater chance of abusing and getting away with.

And we all know tje ‘self declaration’ of addresses and international vetting based on honesty is mostly worthless.

Where was this sec predator working in North County Dublin?

MrsBean wrote: »
    Where has it been established that he's not an Irish citizen? A lot of guess-work going on in this thread. Is it the fact that he has a 'Nigerian' name in a BBC article? The article gives no details as to his heritage or his citizenship which he could have acquired.

I am asking the same...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Be right back

Brendog wrote: »

Thankfully he was caught on CCTV entering and leaving her room.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

He was denying it until his DNA caught him according to the BBC article

• Registered Users Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭MFPM

Abuse is unfortunately not uncommon in care homes. There was a Prime Time Investigates special where both Irish care home and childcare workers were found to be abusing those in their care. Look at Jimmy Saville in the UK.

A radical overhaul is needed of these settings. They're now an industry in and of themselves and the bottom line is always to squeeze out as much profit as possible.

I have enormous sympathy for the lady and her family, I can't begin to imagine how I'd feel if that was my mother, nevermind me. It's upsetting to even think about it.

Par for the course unfortunately...insidious racism.

MFPM wrote: »
    Par for the course unfortunately...insidious racism.

Not even racsim...just human nature, People are tribal, societal, nationalistic.....ALL of us, everywhere. It's completely natural to think and wonder and ask....no different if it happened in any other country....

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    He was denying it until his DNA caught him according to the BBC article

I was a little surprised how quickly this has been dealt with, even with the guilty plea. He committed the crime in April and here we are a few months later with a conviction; and during covid, which has hampered everything.

I guess swift justice does exist at times.

Not even racsim...just human nature, People are tribal, societal, nationalistic.....ALL of us, everywhere. It's completely natural to think and wonder and ask....no different if it happened in any other country....

I disagree. Crimes committed by non-Irish nationals are continually used by by groups and individuals to propagate against migrants/asylum seekers etc.

This man committed an appalling act and he will now rightly pay a heavy price, his nationality and citizenship status are broadly irrelevant.

I disagree. Crimes committed by non-Irish nationals are continually used by by groups and individuals to propagate against migrants/asylum seekers etc.

This man committed an appalling act and he will now rightly pay a heavy price, his nationality and citizenship status is irrelevant.

I am not saying some people won't use his nationality in the racist sense....

I am saying that it's very natural to ask, wonder, question.......I would....

Nothing to do with racism....

I actually said before I knew his name "bet it was a foreigner." I had a feeling.....

I was thinking Eastern European or African...

I am not saying some people won't use his nationality in the racist sense....

I am saying that it's very natural to ask, wonder, question.......I would....

Nothing to do with racism....

I actually said before I knew his name "bet it was a foreigner." I had a feeling.....

I was thinking Eastern European or African...

Why on earth would that be your starting point?

Why on earth would that be your starting point?

Who said it was my staring point?

I just said it when I heard it...heard the details of it, and thought, bet this was a non Irish national.

I had a hunch....you never have a hunch before?

I have said it about many other crimes and incidents, and been right a lot of the time....

Certain types crimes/incidents that happen here I have a feeling on.....the country is now quite diverse...

And with next to no actual criminal checks being done, who knows what we are importing.....

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Darthvadar

Would be interesting to know which home(s) this person worked in. I wonder if concerns were raised before but brushed under the carpet to protect the reputation of the establishment.

I lost my darling mum to kidney failure and Parkinson's, and during her final hospital admission, a nursing home was on the cards. I was insisting on a single room, because I was going to have the room fitted with cameras to keep an eye on her. I had huge concerns even then.

Now with the Covid situation, anybody who wants to ill treat a vulnerable person, particularly someone with limited capacity has free reign. No family/friends visits. I was told by a person running a nursing home to visit Mum on different days, different times, and have other people visit to 'mix things up', and keep an eye on her. Thankfully, as she died it didn't come to that.

My first two thoughts when Covid kicked off were 1. Thank God Mum's gone, and 2. There'll be abuses of our vulnerable people.

Thinking of anyone who has a loved one in a nursing home right now. I hope the person is being well taken care of. And those who are decent, caring and honourable folk who work in our nursing homes, thank you for your care.

Darth.

• Advertisement

I just said it when I heard it...heard the details of it, and thought, bet this was a non Irish national.

I have said it about many other crimes and incidents, and been right a lot of the time....

Certain types crimes/incidents that happen here I have a feeling on.....the country is now quite diverse...

And with next to no actual criminal checks being done, who knows what we are importing.....

You did!....
    I actually said before I knew his name "bet it was a foreigner."
    and thought, bet this was a non Irish national.

But why would you have a hunch in this direction...I tend to wait until I know facts, perhaps if I hear of a shooting somewhere, my instinct is gangland but there is a logic to that based on the strong link between gun crime and gangland activity, there is no logic to your 'hunch'.

There's an implication in this statement that you believe 'certain types of crimes' are committed by non Irish nationals, what evidence do you have to make that assessment?
    And with next to no actual criminal checks being done, who knows what we are importing....

Ah, you're revealing more and more here....'importing' is an interesting phrase to use.

Advertisement