Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Only Connect

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,358 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I thought Hamilton was one of the easiest first clues I'd seen in a while. Obviously it would be a bit of a punt but 4th most populated city in New Zeland was the first thing that popped into my head.

Epic hair style from Oliver Levy

• Registered Users Posts: 71,982 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Epic hair style from Oliver Levy

Had to laugh when they got ‘Ace Ventura: Pet Detective’ correct!

Judging by the haircut, Oliver is also a fan of ‘Dumb And Dumber’ :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭brian_t

There is a new comedy gameshow starting next Tuesday 6th November on BBC2 called "I'll Get This".

The first episode features Rylan Clark-Neal, Ed Gamble, Carol Vorderman, Ellie Taylor and Anton Du Beke.

Victoria will be on one of later episodes.
    Five celebrities go out for dinner together. When they arrive at the restaurant they must place their bank card in the center of the table. As the food is served and the drinks flow, they play a series of fun and revealing games. If they win a game, they can retrieve their card. The person whose card remains at the end of the evening must pick up the bill for the whole group.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

One of the Connecting Wall answers this week claimed that "Pre-Tax" (as in Profits) is a synonym for "Gross"

Gross Profit and Pre-Tax Profits are very different, the question setters got it wrong.

A few people on twitter agreed with me

https://twitter.com/Whoosh_Oleander/status/1057007342749925388

https://twitter.com/travelred/status/1057005447394324481

https://twitter.com/Dazzb84/status/1057360353431031811

• Advertisement

Just looking at the ratings thread on Digital Spy.

Top three BBC2 programmes for last week are :

Louis Theroux's Altered States: Love Without Limits (Sun 21:01): 2,712,944
    Only Connect (Mon 20:01): 2,389,869
    University Challenge (Mon 20:31): 2,215,511

I watch both quizzes bit I'm glad to see Only Connect has the edge on University Challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,144 ✭✭✭✭Water John

House of Games starting today as well.

brian_t wrote: »
    There is a new comedy gameshow starting next Tuesday 6th November on BBC2 called "I'll Get This".

Victoria will be on one of later episodes.

She appears in the 4th episode which airs tomorrow week (Tuesday 27th November).

Her dinner companions will be Rob Beckett, Joanna Scanlan, Martin Kemp and Harry Redknapp.

Only Connect continues over Christmas but will not be on New Years Eve.

It will be on at 8pm New Years Day which is a Tuesday.

There will be three specials on the week before Christmas.

On Monday 17th - Only Connect as usual at 8pm.

On Tuesday 18th at 7.30pm - Champion of Champions Special: Europhiles v String Section.
    Series 9 champions, the Europhiles, take on series 11 winners, the String Section.

On Wednesday 19th at 7.30pm - Sport Special: Footballers (series 6) v Korfballers (series 12).

And on Thursday 20th at 7.30pm - Family Special: Lasletts (series 8) v Meeples (series 13).

There will be a fourth special but it must be on sometime in the new year.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0bwptfj

University Challenge has its usual Christmas specials every weekday over Christmas starting on Christmas Eve.

• Advertisement

There will be a fourth special but it must be on sometime in the new year.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0bwptfj
    Actually the fourth special is on Christmas Day at 5.35pm but there are no details yet about the teams.

Actually the fourth special is on Christmas Day at 5.35pm but there are no details yet about the teams.

The QI Elves from series 10 take on Inquisitors from series 13.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,144 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Amazingly the same question turned up on both quizzes, OC and UC tonight. It related to the list of US Presidential Elections, and those where, the winner of the popular vote doesn't get elected President.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,860 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Water John wrote: »
    Amazingly the same question turned up on both quizzes, OC and UC tonight. It related to the list of US Presidential Elections, and those where, the winner of the popular vote doesn't get elected President.
    I've often noticed coincidences like that, where the same person/place/thing gets mentioned in both quizzes, or in the earlier Pointless.

To the point where I actually started compiling a list of said coincidences (but sadly didn't keep it up).

Yes, I am that anal!

I couldn't believe that they didn't get Liar, Liar Pants on Fire nor the Berries when they saw the four names in a row.

Looking back at the four specials - I liked them except for the sports one. I realised fairly quickly that I was not going to be able to play along with the teams as I don't have good sports knowledge.

I think it works best when they stick to General Knowledge questions.

New series Mary Berry Quick Cooking start tomorrow at 8.30.

That brings forward the Quizzes.

From now on
    Only Connect will start at 7.30pm
    and
    University challenge will start at 8pm.

Also on Friday on BBC2 at 10pm there is a special

Comic Relief Does University Challenge.

David Baddiel hosts a comical edition, featuring contestants Jason Manford, Emily Atack, Kerry Godliman, Martin Freeman, Robert Rinder, Vick Hope, Luisa Omielan and Darren Harriott.

OMG I've just got two of the first round answers from last week's show - that the teams didn't get!

And one after two clues :eek:

Go me!!!

Red light districts? I got that after two as well. Not sure how proud I should be. Had got one earlier too that they failed to get.

Nah, took me till Reeperbahn to sort of get that, and still not sure I'd have actually gone for it.

The portmanteau words I got in two, and the countries/states that had three leaders in one year I got at the third clue.

Well chuffed I was!

I was delighted to see the girls go through - for a team that were cobbled together they're doing really well.

• Advertisement

I didn't get either of those.

Snow was the other one I got before the contestants.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

I feel I need to hand in my motorsport fan card after completely missing that connection with IndyCar...

I was really impressed by the speed with which they got the "words in the wrong order" question in the Missing Vowels round.

Generally I find myself just trying to play along rather then rooting for a particular team.

Looking forward to the next series.

University Challenge - new series starts on Monday at 8.30pm (BBC2).

Only Connect - new series starts on BBC2 on September 2nd.

There is a feature article on Victoria in The Times Magazine today.

What connects

1) N: Lagos

2)
    B: Mumbai

3)
    D: Pigeon Forge

4)
    H: Los Angeles

Answers in episode one.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m00084t5

Huh? Has it broadcasted?

Huh? Has it broadcasted?

No - that's a teaser question on the website.

I have the connection. Took a bit of googling and looking at maps but here it is:
    I happened to spot a place called Dollywood beside Pigeon Forge. They all have places called XYZwood.

Lagos, Nollywood (never heard of it)
    Mumbai, Bollywood
    Pigeon Forge, Dollywood
    LA, Hollywood

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭swampy353

New series 2nd September

Advertisement