Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Only Connect

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Chocolate companies

1: The Shard

Kissed

George Weah

Seems the Only Connect ratings kept up at the 2m mark despite the various regional air times, and not even being shown in Wales until tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,943 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Christ, that was a fiendish missing letters round this week (usually the only round I have the slightest shot at!)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,815 ✭✭✭✭Basq

^ Yep, average about one connection a week ("Teenage" song title) but missing vowels was brutal!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,666 ✭✭✭brian_t

University Challenge is on at the earlier time of 7.30pm this evening due to Winterwatch.

and

Only Connect will be on at the earlier time of 7pm on Friday due to 'Eurovision - You decide'.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Basq wrote: »
    ^ Yep, average about one connection a week ("Teenage" song title) but missing vowels was brutal!

I get one a week too, though I didn't get the "Teenage" question (I almost never ever get the music question), but my one for this week was the "unnamed" question - got it from Led Zeppelin 4's album. #Chuffed :)

And agree, missing vowels was a nightmare this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭ahlookit

brian_t wrote: »
    University Challenge is on at the earlier time of 7.30pm this evening due to Winterwatch.

and

Only Connect will be on at the earlier time of 7pm on Friday due to 'Eurovision - You decide'.

Thanks for the advance warning - the beeb are really messing the scheduling of these shows about. Hope its not a bad sign for Only Connect, my favourite quiz on TV for the last number of years.

• Advertisement

ahlookit wrote: »
    Thanks for the advance warning - the beeb are really messing the scheduling of these shows about. Hope its not a bad sign for Only Connect, my favourite quiz on TV for the last number of years.

OC had been getting over 2m viewers per episode before the switch - yesterday's saw a 1.49m rating! Either move it back to its old slot on BBC Two, or have it on BBC Four at that time.

Ulster v. Edinburgh pushes Only Connect to 9.30pm on BBC2 NI this Friday.

Other BBC2's have it at 8.30pm as usual.

I didn't think that the Final was quite as hard as either of the semi-finals. I enjoyed the whole series anyway.

Looking forward to the final of University Challenge tonight - 2 good teams. Just to point out that there will be no repeat at the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

It's a pity the University Challenge final isn't MONKMAN v Seagull

• Registered Users Posts: 21,171 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Yeah, especially liked the Seagull team, very balanced. A great team captain bringing in all his team, and funny.
    Monkmann is amazing and is carrying his team more, which can be done on UC.

I didn't think that the Final was quite as hard as either of the semi-finals. I enjoyed the whole series anyway.

Agreed. Both walls were actually rather easy, though they looked daunting to start with (all number clues), but I got at least two of the connections on each board. And the missing vowels round I thought was easier than normal too.

Love the show! I'll miss it until whenever it comes back.

Hard luck Wolfson. Too many incorrect interuptions I think?

Well done Balliol!

quickbeam wrote: »
    Hard luck Wolfson. Too many incorrect interuptions I think?

Well done Balliol!

Yes - Monza and Portugal were very gettable if he'd waited until the end of both questions!

Monkmann through the series, often pressed knowing he would have processed the answer in the intervening time. That's the split second that was getting him ahead.
    Even on the second or last question both Captains pressed and Balliol shaded it.
    That's how close.
    Considering Monkmann is Canadian, he had remarkable European knowledge.

Meeting Stephen Hawking was a great prize, for all finalists.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,943 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Was just thinking that about Monkman being Canadian, and that the depth of knowledge of English and European stuff he had was amazing!

Lovely to see them immediately burst into applause once the gong went for the end of the contest - that was noticeable by its absence on the part of the losing team in the last semi-final.

I found both Monkman and Goldman intensely irritating at the start of the series, but had well warmed to them both by the final!

Well done Balliol!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

The big smiley head on Monkman when Stephen Hawking was talking!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭ahlookit

saw this on twitter last night, I thought it was very funny....

https://twitter.com/hmdavies95/status/851517489859227650

Excellent ratings for the Grand Final last night, according to Digital Spy - 3.2m (15%), not bad for a programme deliberately scheduled as an alternative to Eastenders!

Well that match up is a no brainer. The alt was listening to Creedo on Channel 200.

Excellent ratings for the Grand Final last night, according to Digital Spy - 3.2m (15%),!

and the ratings for last Friday evening - 1.75m (8.8%)

I do hope that Only Connect returns to its Monday slot for the next series.

University Challenge is back on BBC 2 today (Monday July 17th) at 8pm.

There is golf on this Friday so Only Connect is back on BBC 2 at 8:30pm on Friday 28th July.

Two recent tweets from Victoria.
    Yes, the THIRTEENTH series of Only Connect starts on Friday July 28th, 8.30pm on BBC2. Lovely to see such a drumroll around the new series.
    We're on Fridays at 8.30 (in England and Scotland; Wales & NI may vary) until Christmas, then back to Mondays in the New Year

https://mobile.twitter.com/victoriacoren?lang=en

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

University Challenge is back on BBC 2 today (Monday July 17th) at 8pm.

There is golf on this Friday so Only Connect is back on BBC 2 at 8:30pm on Friday 28th July.

Two recent tweets from Victoria.

https://mobile.twitter.com/victoriacoren?lang=en

Great to see University Challenge back. If only they'd switch Only Connect back to its usual Monday night slot at 8.30. Quizzing hour would be complete again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Completely forgot this back on!!!!

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Completely forgot this back on!!!!

This is the first episode of the current series. You'll find the second episode there too.

• Advertisement

I see Only Connect is sort of returning to BBC4.

For the next two weekends anyway there is no room on BBC2 on Saturday to accommodate the usual repeat so both Only Connect and University Challenge will be repeated from 7pm on Sunday evening on BBC4.

Advertisement