Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Only Connect

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Basq wrote: »
    Was happy to get the
    Ctrl+D,B,C,A
    one quite quickly. But not much else bar missing vowels this week.

I got the
    Movie Studio
    one on Clue 2, absolutely chuffed with myself :D

I got the china inventions and the logos of films studios. That's two more than I usually get.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,815 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Oh and
    Doe, Do, D'oh, Dough
    I got after 2, but thought that was quite an easy one.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Yay, I got 2 of the first round sets after 2, one of the sequence rounds after 2, and one of the connecting wall sets from the first wall (trouble with me is, is I do manage to get one set of them, that's then literally all I can see, so there's zero chance of me getting any more!)

Right, time for the second wall now......

I got the
    Liquorice Allsorts
    one on the first clue!!!:D

• Advertisement

I got the
    Liquorice Allsorts
    one on the first clue!!!:D

Ah, but would you have had the balls to go for it though???

I almost got a set on the second wall...... spotted the pattern, but just couldn't quite get the 4th one.

Very pleased with my performance overall :D

Got
    cluedo
    in the first clue !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,667 ✭✭✭brian_t

From next week Only Connect moves to the earlier time of 7.30pm.

Nigella Lawsons new cookery show "Nigella: Cook, Eat, Repeat" starts at 8pm.

University Challenge continues at 8.30pm.

There's a University Challenge Children in Need special on Thursday night at 10pm

What have they done with Mastermind???

Should we rename this The Monday Night Telly Quiz thread?

So annoying to have a bloody cookery programme in the middle of the only bloc of live TV I watch all week!

Bit of a random question, is there a delay added for broadcast for the missing vowels round. I seem to get about 2/3 of them before anyone buzzes in. I'm good at quizzes but I don't believe I'm that good. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,177 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Losing a point if you say it wrong might slow you down.

Bit of a random question, is there a delay added for broadcast for the missing vowels round. I seem to get about 2/3 of them before anyone buzzes in. I'm good at quizzes but I don't believe I'm that good. :pac:
    I get the impression most quiz shows with buzzers have a bit of a delay for the viewers benefit..

.. House Of Games is another one where there seems to be an obvious delay.

Got 3 answers after 2 tiles in the first 2 rounds this week.. was chuffed!

I could have (not saying I would have!) guessed at the
    Something Old, Something New
    one after one!

I've also recently discovered the entire archive of Only Connect on YouTube, and I've been overdosing on the early series - it's brilliant!

I only came across OC when it was well established on BBC2, so there's hours and hours and hours of shows for me to catch up on. Heaven.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I could have (not saying I would have!) guessed at the
    Something Old, Something New
    one after one!
    Yeah.. though needed
    World Order
    just to confirm that.

I've also recently discovered the entire archive of Only Connect on YouTube, and I've been overdosing on the early series - it's brilliant!

Haha, same here, I've spent the last 4 days watching about a dozen episodes a day :pac: One thing I've noticed is how much I improve as I watch more, and part of the effect is short term so I'm better while watching the last episode of the day (even when I should have gone to bed several hours earlier) than I am on the first couple of episodes the next day.

Jaysus they're a very cheery bunch tonight!

Some comeback after the first two rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭trashcan

I’ve only seen this a couple of times but was watching tonight. Jesus, it’s tough isn’t it ? I think it’s the most difficult quiz/gameshow I’ve seen.

It's the battle to stop your mind narrowing its focus once it spots something. Every impulse is to seek confirmation of your hunch.

• Advertisement

Did Victoria let the team off the hook just a bit with the "st" question in round one??

The answer they gave wasn't really the same as the answer she gave....

Did Victoria let the team off the hook just a bit with the "st" question in round one??

The answer they gave wasn't really the same as the answer she gave....

VCM wouldn't be a stringent as as MM or UC. Once you know the answer you're chasing, you get it. MM can be especially sticky even on pronounciation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭trashcan

Water John wrote: »
    It's the battle to stop your mind narrowing its focus once it spots something. Every impulse is to seek confirmation of your hunch.

I was screaming (well, nearly) at the team tonight to include kombat, once it became clear that one of the links was mortal. Turns out I was wrong, even though I had the link right. Was about the only thing I got half right too. :o

VCM wouldn't be a stringent as as MM or UC. Once you know the answer you're chasing, you get it. MM can be especially sticky even on pronounciation.

She's been very picky indeed on some occasions, I was surprised she let them away with that!

The answer they gave simply didn't fit all the clues (ie no 2).

trashcan wrote: »
    I was screaming (well, nearly) at the team tonight to include kombat, once it became clear that one of the links was mortal. Turns out I was wrong, even though I had the link right. Was about the only thing I got half right too. :o

Same here, but I suppose that was too easy. Those taking seem to be well used to the different options that are used. It's like doing a crossword regularly. You know how the mind of the setter works.

The Olympic question had two simple answers, date 2012 and International dialing code 44, but putting them together was the trick.

I love how the odd famous person comes onto this and is just treated as a normal contestant

• Registered Users Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

By MM, do you mean Mastermind? I find John Humphrys to be really bad at pronouncing stuff. One in particular was funny. Cavan was either the answer or more likely, in a question once, and he pronounced it C'vAN (if you understand what I mean). :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I was happy enough watching last night's programme because I got two answers that neither of the teams got. One where
    bay
    was the answer and also the one about
    itsy bitsy weeny teeny yellow polka dot bikini
    (and I got the second one after 2 clues). :cool: (Not that they were the hardest questions ever...)

Only Connect reverts to its usual time (8pm) next Monday and continues every Monday.

There are four specials around the New Year period. Two on Wednesday 30th, one on Thursday 31st and one on New Years Day.

The first three feature previous teams, New Years Day is a Music special.
    Victoria Coren Mitchell presents a special music edition of the quiz show, which sees a team of festival goers take on a three members of the Nuestra Singers.

The usual Celebrity University Challenges start next Monday at 8.30pm and continue daily.

• Advertisement

Did you know that there is a connection between Only Connect and Pointless.

Esther Walker.

She is the sister-in-law of both hosts.

Alexander Henry Fenwick Armstrong is married to Hannah Bronwen Snow.

Hannah Snow is the sister of Esther Walker.

Esther Walker is married to Giles Robin Patrick Coren.

Giles Coren is the brother of Victoria Elizabeth Coren Mitchell

Advertisement