Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Only Connect

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Think I got the connection after only looking at the first hidden clue. Certainly willing to guess.
    City and letter that precedes ollywood

• Registered Users Posts: 6,667 ✭✭✭brian_t

Both normal series of Only Connect and University Challenge continue as usual for the next two Mondays and then break for Christmas.

CHRISTMAS SPECIALS

University Challenge.

Last Years Christmas Specials are been repeated daily on BBC4 from next Monday at 7.30.

This years Christmas Specials start on Monday 23rd December on BBC2.

Only Connect

Last Years Christmas Specials are been repeated during the week starting Monday 16 December on BBC2.

There will be four new specials (featuring previous teams) over the New Year period starting on Monday 30th December and continuing on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,278 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Anybody else disappointed that they accepted the answer on the apollo missions? I dont think they should have given it as correct.

Victoria was very quick to accept it.

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Victoria was very quick to accept it.

I have a feeling where they edited out a section where they discussed whether to accept it

• Advertisement

There is a new quiz show called Very Hard Questions starting on More4 and hosted by Jon Snow.

The Radio Times apparently describes it as 'a new quiz aimed at the high end Only Connect market'.

It's starts at 8pm tomorrow with the second episode on at 10pm.

Subsequent episodes will be one per week from next Wednesday.
    Very Hard Questions will be hosted by C4 News anchor Jon Snow and aims to test intelligent contestants with the most difficult quiz questions ever asked on television.

Contestants can buy clues to help them to the correct answers in the 10×60’ format but each clue costs them points.

In each episode two teams of clever contestants attempt to earn a score high enough to finish top of the leaderboard and go through to the series final, where the winning team will take home £5,000 and the Very Hard Questions trophy.
    https://www.c21media.net/c4-takes-youngests-very-hard-quiz/

• Registered Users Posts: 28,944 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Did anyone watch VHQ?

Not entirely convinced by it tbh, seems like a poor man's Only Connect, with Jon Snow trying to do witty bits beforehand and to finish, and not making a very convincing fist of it (esp if you've seen Victoria do those segments with aplomb!)

He's also far too monotone in his presenting, nearly had me asleep - and if he said once more " it's worth 4 points nowwwww, if you take another clue it'll drop to 3" I was ready to scream!

I'll tune in again, because I'm hopelessly addicted to quiz shows, but it def needs tweaking to compete with the big ones.

Was much relieved to catch up with this week's UC/OC episodes this evening!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

It was grand, but ultimately very slow. Also, the explanation of the optional clues takes an unnecessary age...

Now for humble brag, I got the 8-points on the second Very Hardest Question :p

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Did anyone watch VHQ?

Not entirely convinced by it tbh, seems like a poor man's Only Connect, with Jon Snow trying to do witty bits beforehand and to finish, and not making a very convincing fist of it (esp if you've seen Victoria do those segments with aplomb!)

He's also far too monotone in his presenting, nearly had me asleep - and if he said once more " it's worth 4 points nowwwww, if you take another clue it'll drop to 3" I was ready to scream!

I'll tune in again, because I'm hopelessly addicted to quiz shows, but it def needs tweaking to compete with the big ones.

Was much relieved to catch up with this week's UC/OC episodes this evening!

Anything has to be better than Victoria. She does give it 100% but I can't help but cringe

Anything has to be better than Victoria. She does give it 100% but I can't help but cringe

I couldn't disagree more. I'd watch her all day. Absolutely love her!

Jon, on the other hand, is utterly tedious. Not sure I'll last the series tbh. It just misses the mark completely somehow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,173 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Jon Snow is in self isolation ATM because of Covid 19 risk.

He's fine on the programme, it has a bit of retro feel to it. VC is class, David Mitchell is a lucky boy.

I was delighted when Victoria brought up the success rate of the music question in comparison to the picture question in a recent episode . The guaranteed groans when the music question is picked always baffles me yet they're actually relatively easy to get a single point from.

OMG, Jon Snow is completely insufferable!

Very sorry he's suffering self-isolation and all that - but whoever let him loose on a quiz show should be fired :(

(Should we start a separate thread for the VHQ quiz? Or are there just a handful of posters watching it, who watch Only Connect anyway?)

University Challenge series 27 starts next Monday at 8.30pm.

In the opening match of the quiz series for students, the University of Glasgow takes on Exeter University for a place in the second round.

For those waiting for herself.

MSSNG VWLS

Welcome to the Only Connect Missing Vowels online quiz!

Just to point out that there is a programme on BBC Two next Monday at 8pm called Our Friend Victoria but it is about Victoria Wood.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

brian_t wrote: »

Welcome to the Only Connect Missing Vowels online quiz!

There goes the rest of my day :rolleyes:

Doesn't help that the first round is about golf which I know nothing about :D

brian_t wrote: »
    University Challenge series 27 starts next Monday at 8.30pm.

In the opening match of the quiz series for students, the University of Glasgow takes on Exeter University for a place in the second round.
    Most discombobulating watching this tonight.... feels like I should have about five layers on, the stove lit, and be pitch dark for about four hours already !

Did it always start this early in the summer?? :confused:

Did it always start this early in the summer?? :confused:

It has started in July for at least several years and Only Connect used to start this early too.

This post is from July 2016.
    quickbeam wrote: »
    Yay! I love Only Connect. Fantastic it's back. University Challenge on before it too. Yippee!!

Looks like Only Connect starts on BBC2 at 8pm on Monday 21st September.

That was quite the demolition derby inflicted on Wolfson tonight :eek:

Mr. Monkman would be less than impressed!

Good pronunciation of O Siocháin's name by the announcer. Better than his team captain's effort anyway!

• Advertisement

That was quite the demolition derby inflicted on Wolfson tonight :eek:

Mr. Monkman would be less than impressed!

Good pronunciation of O Siocháin's name by the announcer. Better than his team captain's effort anyway!

was it back tonight?

was it back tonight?

University Challenge (doesn't seem to have it's own thead for some reason, occasional comments always in here!)

Only Connect back next Monday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,173 ✭✭✭✭Water John

It's nice to see a few Irish regularly on UC. Most UK quizzes can't have ROI residents on them.
    Family member into quizzes think's mature students shouldn't be allowed on UC. I don't agree really but tonight might prove his point.

I enjoyed that, it was good to have it back. Discreet screens between team members and no shared buzzer in the last round.

Quizzing seems to run in the Coren family. Her father Alan was a regular panellist on the radio quiz The News Quiz but I remember him as a Team Captain on Call My Bluff.

He was one of the guests in Clive James Postcard From London which BBC4 showed last Saturday (Originally broadcast in 1991). He died 18 Oct 2007.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

the man on the Pilgrims team in the yellow T-Shirt, it was a T-Shirt with the Only Connect symbols on it.

now I want one

Just caught up on the first episode now (having accidentally deleted the recording on Monday night along with UC, due to my obsession with watching UC first, always).

Seemed a wee bit stilted since they coudn't huddle and whisper when conferring - and surely the other team are better able to hear their musings as they have to project through the screens? Mind you, that cuts both ways, so it's just different, not necessarily worse.....

Really, I'm just delighted to have it back on!

And I also want yer man's t-shirt - class!!!

I usually catch it on this youtube channel

Water John wrote: »
    It's nice to see a few Irish regularly on UC. Most UK quizzes can't have ROI residents on them.

Irish team members on both UC and OC tonight!

The fella on University Challenge got off to a flying start, but they fairly fell by the wayside in the end. I haven't finished watching Only Connect yet, but the Irish guy's team are looking good at the halfway point.

As for Irish residents on UK game shows - I've been on Countdown, my brother was on 15-1 - albeit both were donkeys years ago! But they did auditions over here for both shows. Not sure if they still do these days, but you regularly see a smattering of Irish accents on various shows (well, you do if you watch as many of then as I do!)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,815 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Was happy to get the
    Ctrl+D,B,C,A
    one quite quickly. But not much else bar missing vowels this week.

• Advertisement

Basq wrote: »
    Was happy to get the
    Ctrl+D,B,C,A
    one quite quickly. But not much else bar missing vowels this week.

I didn't get that one, but I did get the Archbishops one (although I didn't know the current name), and the one about film studios.... v pleased with myself I was!

Kudos to the Irish fella for not saying hornED viper :D

Advertisement