Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,210 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Does he ride with a support car? Or was that just for Mexico, if so that was probably a smart move.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Is Ford in the photo? I can't see him :confused:

#bloodycyclists

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,804 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭wheelo01

I washed my Garmin Heart Rate Monitor strap the other day, it was working perfectly up until then.
    The 520 + now "finds" it, but loses it almost as quick. I have tried changing the battery, just in case, but it's just the same.
    Is there something you have to do to the contacts, or the parts where it touches skin after washing it??

Thanks in advance.

wheelo01 wrote: »
    I washed my Garmin Heart Rate Monitor strap the other day, it was working perfectly up until then.
    The 520 + now "finds" it, but loses it almost as quick. I have tried changing the battery, just in case, but it's just the same.
    Is there something you have to do to the contacts, or the parts where it touches skin after washing it??

Thanks in advance.

When you say washed, do you mean just dipped/rinsed in cold water or do you mean you put it through a washing machine? I know they say you can but I would only rinse in cold water to take off sweat/salt and that's it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,804 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Interesting post on the Guardian bike blog about a kit to turn a conventional bike into a pedelec:
    https://www.theguardian.com/environment/bike-blog/2021/jun/11/want-to-turn-your-bicycle-into-an-e-bike-heres-just-the-gizmo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,457 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

CramCycle wrote: »
    When you say washed, do you mean just dipped/rinsed in cold water or do you mean you put it through a washing machine? I know they say you can but I would only rinse in cold water to take off sweat/salt and that's it

I've washed my Garmin heart rate strap in the washing machine many, many times and I've never had any issues.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,210 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that's cheating though. especially when it hits the spin cycle.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I've washed my Garmin heart rate strap in the washing machine many, many times and I've never had any issues.

Same here. I chuck it into the washing machine about once a month. No problems whatsoever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭griffin100

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,084 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭wheelo01

Machine, that's the instructions on it.

I left it for a long time without doing anything- think that should have been my long term plan!

@lollipopjimmy do you use one? Maybe I can put my HRM into your strap, and vice versa to see if it is the strap or the HRM?

*sniff* they didn't even list cycling.

https://twitter.com/carltonreid/status/1403671480664268800

BMW divers dont know that cyclists exist. At least it seems that way going by their driving :D

Any bike shops around Dublin, Wicklow or Wexford that would tap a crank and insert a helicoil. I had CSS do it for me years ago but there waiting list is close to 2 months for the most minor of repairs. I could do it myself either if anywhere would rent me a tap for left crank.

i was over in humphries recently and asked jimmy that in the eventuality of me needing to replace a BB, would there be much of a waiting list, and he said ah no, that would be handled quickly enough. wrong side of the city for you though, but may be worth giving them a shout?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I left it for a long time without doing anything- think that should have been my long term plan!

@lollipopjimmy do you use one? Maybe I can put my HRM into your strap, and vice versa to see if it is the strap or the HRM?

Yep no problem

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Any bike shops around Dublin, Wicklow or Wexford that would tap a crank and insert a helicoil. I had CSS do it for me years ago but there waiting list is close to 2 months for the most minor of repairs. I could do it myself either if anywhere would rent me a tap for left crank.

Bee Cycles in Dolphins' Barn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,095 ✭✭✭buffalo

New policing bill on the way, I noticed this section:
    Under the provisions of the Bill, gardaí will also no longer be obliged to make a written record of interviews with suspects and witnesses once other recording options are available.

Any chance that means reporting a close pass will just be done over the phone, without the need to attend in person and sign a written statement?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

Cunning plan to get their ad spread by indignant cyclists. Worked like a dream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭cletus

Did you get sorted with this? I wonder would it be worth heading to your local motor factors and see if they have a 9/16'' left hand tap, especially if you already have the helicoil equipment

crosstownk wrote: »
    Same here. I chuck it into the washing machine about once a month. No problems whatsoever.

You are both 100% right, I just never done it, stories of the washing machine battering the connection years ago, probably unfounded. Cold water to wash out the salts etc. is fine for me. I've had others I never washed AFAIK and they lasted for years so who knows.

cletus wrote: »
    Did you get sorted with this? I wonder would it be worth heading to your local motor factors and see if they have a 9/16'' left hand tap, especially if you already have the helicoil equipment

The Bike Rack have come through again. After some help with a stuck BB and some ingenuity from their mechanic, and now this, they are going forward my go to bike shop, played a blinder and I am not a regular at all but they are getting my business for my next set of wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

You are both 100% right, I just never done it, stories of the washing machine battering the connection years ago, probably unfounded. Cold water to wash out the salts etc. is fine for me. I've had others I never washed AFAIK and they lasted for years so who knows.

Wash delicate things inside pillowcase in a washing net

• Advertisement

Rechuchote wrote: »
    Wash delicate things inside pillowcase in a washing net
    my wife has a fairly heavy duty 'pillowcase' for washing horse related stuff, like horse rugs etc.
    i think they can be bought in a lot of the larger agri outlets, she gets a lot of he stuff from whites agri, just off the old N1 near man'o'war.

That ad is brilliant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,011 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Another example of our car centric culture. I was walking past a GP surgery near me and they have a sign up - "All patients must remain in their cars until called".

Another example of our car centric culture. I was walking past a GP surgery near me and they have a sign up - "All patients must remain in their cars until called".

Reminds me of this one from a few weeks back in Wales.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/man-left-fuming-after-being-20270930

I went through the 'drive thru' in McDonald's in Santry on the way home from a Boards Evil ride a few years ago. I got some funny looks but they served me all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I went through the 'drive thru' in McDonald's in Santry on the way home from a Boards Evil ride a few years ago. I got some funny looks but they served me all the same.

The one near me has sign saying no cyclists, however I can rock through on my motorbike. It does also have a sign saying no sulkies..

• Advertisement

The one near me has sign saying no cyclists
    Why? What do they think would happen? Or is it because their drinks container doesn't fit in the bottle cage?

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭ARX

Why? What do they think would happen? Or is it because their drinks container doesn't fit in the bottle cage?
    Elfin safety. The excuse of yesteryear, before GDPR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I need new bar tape on my commuter, any other colours that go well on a white bike besides black again?

gNcyrr7.jpg

Light blue to match the bits on the bike?

• Advertisement

Blue or white with a saddle to match

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Would fluorescent orange be hideous on it do you think?

EDIT: Might give this blue/black a try actually:

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-essential-bar-tape

Thargor wrote: »
    Would fluorescent orange be hideous on it do you think?

EDIT: Might give this blue/black a try actually:

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-essential-bar-tape

I think that blue looks too dark.

If it was me, I'd go with the orange, but I love orange, so...

orange bar tap FTW.

was talking to one of the stewards at the swords CC race earlier out at kilcoscan. mentioned i'd pass their TT going from fieldstown farm up to garristown last week. my best *down* that hill (it's about 1% drop over 9km) is about 36km/h. last week the lad who won did it uphill at about 42km/h.

https://bartape.ie/collections/dark-blue/products/white-handlebar-tape-with-blue-drops

+1 on the white saddle - otherwise I'd leave the tape black - just my 2c. Ultimately just get whatever you like the look of.

Bar-Tape.jpg

crosstownk wrote: »
    https://bartape.ie/collections/dark-blue/products/white-handlebar-tape-with-blue-drops

+1 on the white saddle - otherwise I'd leave the tape black - just my 2c. Ultimately just get whatever you like the look of.

Bar-Tape.jpg

Perfect

how long do people find the pads in their bike helmets last? i bought a new helmet in july last year and the pad started to come apart about two months ago.

how long do people find the pads in their bike helmets last? i bought a new helmet in july last year and the pad started to come apart about two months ago.
    They tend to deteriorate when washed often in my experience. The ones in my commuter helmet didn't last very long so I 'replaced' them by wearing a cap.

i never 'wash' them as such, just rinse them with clean water.

.... I 'replaced' them by wearing a cap.

Same here. I wear a cap/casquette under my helmet in all weathers. It keeps sweat from dripping, fends off rain and helps in strong sunlight.

In summer I just wash them with the rest of my kit after each ride. In winter I wash them every two or three rides as I don't sweat as much.

• Advertisement
Advertisement