Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,947 ✭✭✭cletus

Might be worth that money if you get the frame and wheels with it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

Anyone been watching the old Giro stages on Eurosport? They rerecorded the commentary for some reason, I'd imaging they'd have to make some notes and do bit reading before hand or at least listen back to their own commentary from the original airing.

think they re recorded to fit the editing process and make the present day comments from riders on the day fit nicely in, but yeah it does take away from it a little

Ah that makes sense. I actually like the comments from the riders. We should see Kruijswijk's crash this week with his bike doing a 720 or more flip as he hits the snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

MOD VOICE: Its against the rules, if you wish to advertise a business, email hello@boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

If Swords Road from Whitehall to Drumcondra at 7am was anything to go by, all will be back to bumper-to-bumper normal soon enough.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i had to run an errand yesterday; left the house at about 5:30, and compared to what that would have been like a few months ago, traffic was very light.

i had to run an errand yesterday; left the house at about 5:30, and compared to what that would have been like a few months ago, traffic was very light.

Oh, it’s light, yes. However, considering it’s only phase 1 and the schools are closed, the traffic today compared to two weeks ago is indicative, I believe, of a return to pretty much the norm come August. I’m hoping not, but that’s my subjective reading of it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Its gone from 5am levels to Early August rush hour levels on my commute. Social distancing apparently was scrapped in phase 1 but no one told me that.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Its gone from 5am levels to Early August rush hour levels on my commute. Social distancing apparently was scrapped in phase 1 but no one told me that.

Went to **** here on the day they mentioned having a plan.

100%. Bray town was like a summer holiday town in peak tourist season when I came through it last week. Not a hope of social distancing as people spilled out onto the road the pavements were so busy. The rush hour traffic has ramped up slower but days I have left earlier and came through built up areas its been packed. Crowds of teenagers gathered together on the local football pitches (which at any other time would be great to see). A funeral last week was so packed the road was essentially shut on my commute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

The options open to people to safely move around are greatly reduced; buses at 25% capacity(I presume trains similar), car pooling the use of private cars can only increase.

WFH will reduce some traffic, but once schools,colleges are back traffic will be brutal.

Government, local and national, would need to be really proactive immediately in terms of incentives for cycling to limit chaos.

A more comprehensive BTW scheme, infrastructure, etc etc is needed.

Yeah, tired of being a monaing michael about it, tbh. Lack of space on footpaths is gonna push people into cars too tbh

Realistically, once people have to return to the jobs and other places they travel to prior to the lockdown, they will return to their car. I've driven very little since the lockdown, but when I go back to work, it will be by car. Commuting by bike won't have suddenly become a viable option for me.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I wonder if you'll find that a lot of people will continue to do a lot of their work from home. So there should be a decrease in the number of cars on the road commuting.
    You may also find that schools in Sept limit kids to say 2.5 days per week further reducing traffic volumes.
    This will simply serve to make driving a more attractive option as the weather turns colder.

The best way to reduce traffic by encouraging more people to use Active Travel options (where possible!) is for the councils to facilitate it. However, the majority of councils are doing bugger all!

cletus wrote: »
    Realistically, once people have to return to the jobs and other places they travel to prior to the lockdown, they will return to their car. I've driven very little since the lockdown, but when I go back to work, it will be by car. Commuting by bike won't have suddenly become a viable option for me.

How's that Cletus? Too far?

Mc Love wrote: »
    How's that Cletus? Too far?

A combination of things. I live in a town 16 miles from where I work. My wife works in Dublin, so I bring my boys to school when I got to work (the two places are right beside each other). I do collecting in the evening, and because my wife's commute is longer than mine, I do the majority of shopping etc, so there has not been the opportunity for me to cycle to work for a number of years

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

since everyone in the country seems to be an expert on what 2m consists of these days, you'd think most motorists would have cottoned on too?

A combination of things. I live in a town 16 miles from where I work. My wife works in Dublin, so I bring my boys to school when I got to work (the two places are right beside each other). I do collecting in the evening, and because my wife's commute is longer than mine, I do the majority of shopping etc, so there has not been the opportunity for me to cycle to work for a number of years

yeah completely understandable

since everyone in the country seems to be an expert on what 2m consists of these days, you'd think most motorists would have cottoned on too?

Your a funny guy, if anything this has finally opened my eyes as to why so many motorists think close passes are grand. They keep getting told to give 1.5m, but based on observations, most people, without floor markings presume 2m is actually under 1m, in fact I'd guess between 60 and 75cm typically. Therefore, logically, they must equate 1.5m with about 50cm.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Your a funny guy, if anything this has finally opened my eyes as to why so many motorists think close passes are grand. They keep getting told to give 1.5m, but based on observations, most people, without floor markings presume 2m is actually under 1m, in fact I'd guess between 60 and 75cm typically. Therefore, logically, they must equate 1.5m with about 50cm.

Nice close pass last night from a Dublin bus out of service and belting it on empty roads. Some things never change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

ED E wrote: »
    Nice close pass last night from a Dublin bus out of service and belting it on empty roads. Some things never change.

In my experience, bus drivers are the worst for close passes followed closely by Binmen & Construction...But i've not been out on the road for a year at this stage so it have changed:p

this might throw down a gauntlet to any cyclists thinking of doing a cycle for charity. the runners have outdone us.

https://twitter.com/Diplah/status/1263157208344395776

Ha saw that in the Drogheda Independent yesterday :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭Enduro

That's a seriously hilarious piece of mathematics for sure!

A question sparked by a post on another thread.

Does cycling a century refer to miles or km

A question sparked by a post on another thread.

Does cycling a century refer to miles or km

While I measure everything in metric, a century is in imperial. Cycling 100km is a great achievement and one to be proud of, but it's not a century.

While I measure everything in metric, a century is in imperial. Cycling 100km is a great achievement and one to be proud of, but it's not a century.

Thanks for that. Does that not break rule #24?

100km is like a decade of the rosary, but 100 miles is like the stations.

• Advertisement

AA roadwatch still providing some amusement this morning, but our AA correspondent signed off with 'remember, you can only leave your home five kilometres for essential journeys' (sic)
    do they not have a script they read from?

Advertisement