Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Hurrache wrote: »
    They don't need to use either combis or pallets, you'd be lucky to see any other retailer use them within a city. In fact such retailers tend not to use either at all outside of warehouses.

Like I said, the provision to deliver to their store has always been there. They alone chose not to use it appropriately.

All MRPI deliveries go in on combis. A store that size would be anything from 35-50 combis a day

I I unfortunately spent many years working for an FMCG company and account managed Super Valus and Centra back when they were MSVC. Long put of it now but I see the struggles

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Whatever about your arguments -- and they're not especially strong -- your non-stop sarcasm is extremely wearying.
    That wasn't a very constructive contribution from me, so apologies to all.

Maybe the combative tone could be dialled down a little though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Sorry, you're right, I just know them as roll cages.

Tesco for example, and I'm sure Dunnes too but can't remember their docs, use roll cages and have strict procedures in place for the handling and managing of them by their staff and seem to get by ok throughout cities.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

There is a loading bay nearly literally across the road. That is what should be used.

If you say, ah go on for one place, you have to say it for all the others and that's what leads to the absolute sh!tshow that we have in places like Ranelagh and Rathmines

tomasrojo wrote: »
    That wasn't a very constructive contribution from me, so apologies to all.

Maybe the combative tone could be dialled down a little though.

I'd rather go around in circles arguing if that's ok? WFH is taking its toll

Hurrache wrote: »
    Sorry, you're right, I just know them as roll cages.

Tesco for example, and I'm sure Dunnes too but can't remember their docs, use roll cages and have strict procedures in place for the handling and managing of them by their staff and seem to get by ok throughout cities.

Dunnes were still using pallets when I was involved, however that was a number of years ago. We had to send our merchandisers to Dunnes George's St to handball off the pallets which were left on the footpath outside the side entrance.

Tesco were a joke, the lads used to refer to their goods in areas as 'rat traps' because there was a good chance of being crushed by a combi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Hence them changing and enforcing their guidelines and documentation.

I'd rather go around in circles arguing if that's ok? WFH is taking its toll

I know exactly what you mean.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

There arent many options for unloading into the Supervalu there, the back entrance is height restricted and not a chance of pulling a pallet truck or combi trolley up the street there.
    Use a smaller truck and reverse in from the road. Park on the road, essentially what they are doing now only they don't block the cycle path. One of the other big issues of them on the cycle path for motorised traffic was you had people trying to overtake and then oncoming traffic getting stuck against them, this would force proper overtakes. Parking on the bike track blocks two lanes not one. Parking on the main road blocks one path, not two.
    What I'm saying is if wands are being put in then provisions need to be made for loading and unloading because being able to buy food is pretty handy
    There was a tweet in the last thread showing a truck parking on the road, and it seemed to work. I'd prefer they use smaller vehicles and drive round the back, car park is tiny anyway and hardly accounts for any of their business, particularly considering how many used to just park on the street.
    They also could have looked ot the side lane to the south on Ranelgh Avenue and apply (or pay for) a right of way access via that drive way
    Pallets and combis across the road? Ever pulled one of those combis?
    Yes, the expensive ones would easily go over, we have one in work with built in suspension. I can pull a huge weight without issue.
    Theres no way you'd get a truck in or out if that car park.
    Side access or smaller trucks
    Anyway, I can see here asking for a provision to be made for business before putting down these wands is too much to ask for some
    They can do what they have always done, just not block the cycle track, simples

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Here's the archway into the carpark on Streetview. You'd get a fairly big truck through that without a whole heap of trouble I would think. More trouble than just lobbing her up on the footpath, but ho-hey

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3258302,-6.2553937,3a,90y,97.09h,85.17t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sH52WgE8Xe6MtiIqSzOeU5Q!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

This seems to be going well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

Eamonnator wrote: »
    This seems to be going well.

Thanks for noticing! Yes, slow and steady, neither of us will be picking up QOMs on Strava. She's getting out, not too many grumbles. Given her refueling food of choice maybe I should ask HB for sponsorship!

We should be finished with a day to spare. We'll do a victory lap.

Yeah you should Tweet HB with a refueling shot maybe and the details of the cause to see if they'd maybe cough up a few quid.

Wind the last few days was not kind. I had to go into the office this morning out of stupidity and reboot something I couldn't do remotely and I turned back at the end of our road to get the long fingered gloves.

I don't use Twitter. Social media influencer I most definitely am not!

It'd be great if your daughter got to 7 X 111.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,114 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Some home cycling items mentioned in this Today FM segment- link
    Can listen via link above, here's the cycling kit:

Smart Exercise Bikes
    Wattbike Atom - £1,599

Wahoo Kickr Bike - £3,000

Tacx Neo Bike Smart - £2,300

Stages Smart Bike - £2,700

PedalPro Indoor Bike Resistance Trainer - €110

Peloton digital subscription using your own bike - £12.99 a month

If you have the resistance trainer & Zwift or similar how will the app/Zwift know what speed you're going at?

It'd be great if your daughter got to 7 X 111.
    I threw in a tiny bit there. Really blew through that goal though, didn't she!

Thank you!

I had no idea how successful it would be as a fundraiser. For once working with kids and animals is a winner!

It'd be great if your daughter got to 8 X 111.

fixed my post.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Great Stuff, Róisín is becoming quite legendary, being the winner of the inaugral Mick Lawless U10 Championship medal last year if memory serves. Nameless Phil can correct me, possibly a winner in her Category in the Stephen Roche GP a few years ago

• Advertisement

CramCycle wrote: »
    Great Stuff, Róisín is becoming quite legendary, being the winner of the inaugral Mick Lawless U10 Championship medal last year if memory serves. Nameless Phil can correct me, possibly a winner in her Category in the Stephen Roche GP a few years ago

Correct on both counts!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

eeeee wrote: »

Ah, brilliant (thanks for the reminder to donate too)!

@NamelessPhil - you must be bursting with pride, Róisín is a credit to you.

Ah, brilliant (thanks for the reminder to donate too)!

@NamelessPhil - you must be bursting with pride, Róisín is a credit to you.

I'm cycling this with her too! She is a credit to us, myself and Doozerie.

I wanted to show that doing a little bit everyday adds up to quite a lot. It doesn't have to be one massive cycle or massive effort, it can be incremental. It keeps her motivation up and she loves the results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

I'm cycling this with her too! She is a credit to us, myself and Doozerie.

I wanted to show that doing a little bit everyday adds up to quite a lot. It doesn't have to be one massive cycle or massive effort, it can be incremental. It keeps her motivation up and she loves the results.

If I'm right in my thinking, I know Róisín from coaching her at Sundrive? If so, I'm not surprised to hear this. A proper legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

dinneenp wrote: »
    Some home cycling items mentioned in this Today FM segment- link

PedalPro Indoor Bike Resistance Trainer - €110

If you have the resistance trainer & Zwift or similar how will the app/Zwift know what speed you're going at?

I assume using a Wahoo Speed sensor or similar. That's what I used when I had a "dumb trainer".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,114 ✭✭✭dinneenp

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    I assume using a Wahoo Speed sensor or similar. That's what I used when I had a "dumb trainer".

Thanks. So with this I can see my stats. And found this article on Zwift's site re Wheel-on Trainers and Wahoo are listed.

Just noticed that's a Wahoo Wheel on Trainer in the link & they're expensive.
    So with an inexpensive one (like PedalPro Indoor Bike Resistance Trainer, about £150 or thereabouts) and a Wahoo speed sensor how do I transmit my data from Whaoo to Zwift?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

dinneenp wrote: »
    So with an inexpensive one (like PedalPro Indoor Bike Resistance Trainer, about £150 or thereabouts) and a Wahoo speed sensor how do I transmit my data from Whaoo to Zwift?

Depends what device you're using. If using Android, iOS, Apple TV etc. you can use bluetooth.

If using Windows/Mac it's best to buy and use an Ant+ dongle such as https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anself-Forerunner-Compatible-CycleOps-TrainerRoad/dp/B01M4NFENM/ref=psdc_949408031_t1_B01M3VQP6Z

See guide here: https://zwiftinsider.com/getting-started-classic-trainer/

I'd also recommend using a heart rate monitor such as https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wahoo-Fitness-Unisexs-TICKR-Monitor/dp/B0881B1H5S/ref=sr_1_13?dchild=1&keywords=wahoo+heart+rate&qid=1589462680&sr=8-13

Would I be over reaching asking 2500 for this?

Look 765
    Ultegra Di2 R8050
    Cosmic pro carbon exalith
    Brand new cassette - Ultegra R8000
    Brand new chain - KMC DLC
    Look Keo Blade 2 pedals

Few nice touches like alloy jockey wheels with ceramic bearings, new jagwire brake cables. Ritchey bars and stem.

Sorry about asking this here it's not an ad, I've not made up my mind yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

There was no cycle lane there when the store opened. Firing one in after the fact and then subsequently enclosing it is not the answer. These wands have been put in with no provision for businesses to conduct their necessary tasks.

I realise the conversation has moved on, and maybe I should let it lie, but nevertheless...

The cycle track pre-dates the use of that premises as a grocery shop. A planning application in 2007 (DCC Reg. Ref. 5151/07) for changes to the shopfront of the building attracted two observations/objections, one of which, from a resident on Chelmsford Avenue, noted ‘the proposed conversion of these premises from a badly maintained public house [The Four Provinces] to a much-needed supermarket’ (emphasis added), so it seems reasonable to assume that it was not in retail use at the time.

I don’t know exactly when the cycle track was introduced; from memory, it was the late 1990s. It was certainly in place by 2000, as it was described in a paper presented to the Velomondial conference in 2000 as a ‘route that has now been constructed’ (see Section 2.5 of this paper: http://www.velomondial.net/velomondiall2000/PDF/MACAREE.PDF).

To the best of my recollection, the track has always had a solid white line on it (time-plated 7 am to 7 pm Monday to Saturday, I believe), which legally precludes all parking and deliveries during the hours of operation. The wands that have now been added would not be necessary if the drivers/management complied with the regulations related to 'mandatory' cycle tracks (though in fairness to SuperValu, it’s not just delivery drivers who park in the cycle track during the hours of operation).

So the cycle track was not ‘[fired] in after the fact’, and the ability of ‘businesses to conduct their necessary tasks’ is something that should be considered when a planning application is being assessed. The other submission on case 5151/07 did raise a number of issues related to parking, deliveries and traffic congestion. However, the case planner noted in his assessment that ‘Having regard to the submissions received, it should be noted that this application is for a replacement shopfront and external alterations to the property. The proposed use of the premises cannot be assessed.’ (Emphasis added.) In other words, the matter of deliveries was outside the scope of this application. Interestingly, I can find no record of an application to DCC for a change of use from a public house to a grocery shop, which makes me wonder if the SuperValu (Superquinn as it was initially) actually has planning permission to operate as such. Now that would be an interesting outcome of this discussion…

Advertisement