Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,203 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Never realised that used to be the Four Provinces.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,764 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Think it was the Richard Crosbie Tavern before that? There's a statue to Richard Crosbie, pioneering balloon dude, in the park nearby, by the Luas bridge.

EDIT: That's it, I think.

513010.jpg

Is that a double-yellow line? Bit hard to tell. Maybe you weren't allowed to park there even back then.

Ah Night Owls, was a 'happening' place at the time.

I vaguely remember they had a radio ad for a club night that, more or less but not quite, had the strap line: "because you're old now"

• Advertisement

I had to google the place as the tag line was on the tip of my tongue. Sullied myself by clicking into the Sun website to find it,
    "It’s the in place to be seen. The bar’s open late. The Disco’s cool as a dream. Night Owls – Europe’s Only Laserdisc Nightclub". They pushed the latter part alright.

The Sun also mentioned it got the name "fight club", which I definitely remember becoming the de facto name.

"Scratchy Toes" as we called it was only down the road, Itchy Feet. That became the Tesco in Terrenure. The pub itself was actually alright when it was Quinlans but became pretty quiet. I remember it clearly as it was one of the places I'd meet my now wife and one day the bar man serving us was a friend of her ex boyfriend, both were dicks, and we never went back.

"Laserdisc Nightclub"

The distant future ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Hurrache wrote: »
    I had to google the place as the tag line was on the tip of my tongue. Sullied myself by clicking into the Sun website to find it,
    "It’s the in place to be seen. The bar’s open late. The Disco’s cool as a dream. Night Owls – Europe’s Only Laserdisc Nightclub". They pushed the latter part alright.

The Sun also mentioned it got the name "fight club", which I definitely remember becoming the de facto name.

"Scratchy Toes" as we called it was only down the road, Itchy Feet. That became the Tesco in Terrenure. The pub itself was actually alright when it was Quinlans but became pretty quiet. I remember it clearly as it was one of the places I'd meet my now wife and one day the bar man serving us was a friend of her ex boyfriend, both were dicks, and we never went back.

Think it was "Fight Owls"? Or "****e Owls" as we'd call it.

Ah yes, they're the ones.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

SV Ranelagh obviously isn't the only MSVC outlet that allows its delivery drivers to blatantly ignore the law...

https://twitter.com/DonallGeoghegan/status/1261205315305037826

• Advertisement

Must be the chicken fillet rolls that attract the ignorant to Centra, customers and deliveries.

The Audi and Passat CC are actually within the orcas, the crappy Passat, BMW and Golf in the bus stop.

https://twitter.com/lemon_he4d/status/1261251885736112128

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Think it was the Richard Crosbie Tavern before that? There's a statue to Richard Crosbie, pioneering balloon dude, in the park nearby, by the Luas bridge.

EDIT: That's it, I think.

513010.jpg

Is that a double-yellow line? Bit hard to tell. Maybe you weren't allowed to park there even back then.
    tomasrojo wrote: »

Good finds. I have no recollection of it as a single-storey building, but I only really got to know Ranelagh in the mid-90s. According to The Little Book of Ranelagh by Maurice Curtis, the venue was purchased by Superquinn in 1999, who reopened the nightclub 'as the short-lived Il Mundo, sporting a bouncy dancing floor and often finishing a rave night with "Old Red Eyes" by Beautiful South or "Rock Da House" by Tall Paul.' I'm sorry I never made it along.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I have no recollection of this and would have sworn blind it was a Superquinn since the 80s.

Superquinn were falling apart since the early enough 2000s

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

The 4P's was a good spot if you liked a bit of full-sized snooker, pints from a hatch, and a smoky shadowy ambience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

Róisín did it! 116.3km in 10 days, over €1,000 raised for the DSPCA. Thanks for all the support from everyone who knows us in real life and on here.

This might work out. Waterford city and environs seem to have pretty decent cycling modal numbers, based on my last visit there, two summers ago.

https://twitter.com/seamusryan1/status/1260979605059633152

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I hope they maintain it better than they do in Limerick.

I remember a Green councillor tweeting about a pedal falling off when he was using one of the shared bikes. Think it was Galway or Cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

keane2097 wrote: »
    I hope they maintain it better than they do in Limerick.

Problem with the limerick scheme...is all the parks are within like 8km area...nothing outside the city centre...should be at LIT, UL & Crescent Shopping Centre...for me it's useless and many others as it doesn't really safe much time...well i tend to walk quiet fast tho

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Problem with the limerick scheme...is all the parks are within like 8km area...nothing outside the city centre...should be at LIT, UL & Crescent Shopping Centre...for me it's useless and many others as it doesn't really safe much time...well i tend to walk quiet fast tho

The location of the stations is one issue, but the bikes and actual station infrastructure is in rag order and isn't taken care of at all. Nobody is going to bother with a bike hire service where you're constantly worried about the bike falling apart under you and the station where you want to drop it off refusing to accept a return.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i wonder when decathlon plan to open in ballymun; they might qualify under the allowance for bike shops opening, but that would be pushing it a little?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,885 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

i wonder when decathlon plan to open in ballymun; they might qualify under the allowance for bike shops opening, but that would be pushing it a little?

I assume when Ikea can open, so can Decathlon.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

They havn't finished building it yet by the looks of it. Not far off, but not finsihed. As I passed it yesterday, it looks like they might have a little track outside possibly to test bikes on, but might just be a kids play area.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,947 ✭✭✭cletus

I think it's going to be like a BMX type track

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

cletus wrote: »
    I think it's going to be like a BMX type track

Excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Anyone been watching the old Giro stages on Eurosport? They rerecorded the commentary for some reason, I'd imaging they'd have to make some notes and do bit reading before hand or at least listen back to their own commentary from the original airing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,348 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

rubadub wrote: »

and ? nothing new in that, nottingham cycle lanes had bike activated traffic lights in the ahem some time ago when i was a student

• Registered Users Posts: 14,348 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Class

Advertisement