Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

The future's bright :/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I had a very puzzling encounter with a very young Garda at a checkpoint in Donabate tonight while cycling home from work.

The conversation went something like this:

Garda: "Howaya. Out for a spin?"
    Me: "Heading home from work".
    Garda: "OK so - stay within the 2k now"
    Me: "Well I have to go to Skerries" (about 15k from the checkpoint)
    Garda: "Fair enough so - just keep it local"

WTF? I don't think he has grasped the concept of cycling commuting.

I was chatting to a Guard in Supervalu, he seemed dead on his feet tbh. It's been a long few weeks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,660 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

or else he's not from the area and assumed that people don't cycle more than a couple of km to get to work (and i know that sounds flippant, but has a reasonable chance of being true).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,060 ✭✭✭buffalo

I had a very puzzling encounter with a very young Garda at a checkpoint in Donabate tonight while cycling home from work.

The conversation went something like this:

Garda: "Howaya. Out for a spin?"
    Me: "Heading home from work".
    Garda: "OK so - stay within the 2k now"
    Me: "Well I have to go to Skerries" (about 15k from the checkpoint)
    Garda: "Fair enough so - just keep it local"

That sounds like a Garda who's operating on auto-pilot after a long few weeks. I'd suggest giving him a hug, but obviously that's an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Enduro

Couldn't think of where else in this forum to put this nice piece of new research. Cycle lanes are economically benificial...

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/04/200422151318.htm?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=WYM-04232020-STATIC-B&utm_term=what_you_missed_B

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Enduro wrote: »
    Couldn't think of where else in this forum to put this nice piece of new research. Cycle lanes are economically benificial...

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/04/200422151318.htm?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=WYM-04232020-STATIC-B&utm_term=what_you_missed_B

Was there similar a few years ago about bike lanes in london having a massive return on investment? Would be nice if they linked to the data or paper, found it here: https://www.portlandoregon.gov/bps/article/636667 haven't read it though.Its a large PDF for anyone on their phone

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Another free month from Eurosport. They really must be struggling for rights or cost to reshow stuff. Not all bad though as they are showing the 2017 Giro next week but they are still only showing 2019/20 classics and some older track stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Enduro wrote: »

Great to hear. Although I'd be disappointed if research part funded by anyone called "PeopleForBikes" couldn't make a positive case for bike lanes :)

One of the coaches in the gym has suggested we do something at 6am every morning for 20 minutes, light exercise or whatever.

I'm going to cycle but I'm leaving the garmin at home and not fall into being a slave to strava.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

I do something light every morning at 6am already.....

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭Ryath

6-easy-exercises-to-do-while-in-quarantine-meme.jpg

Ordered strings for the guitars in the attic a few weeks ago. They have been there since we moved in 6 years ago and pre first child. Used to play a lot as a teen in bands with friends and later just learning songs to play along to. Would have considered myself a very good bass player in my day too.

Herself has a decent voice and can play too, I haven't a note in my head but sure when it's just yee and the kids that doesn't matter. What an evening we had, the girls lost their collective **** when they found out mam and dad could play guitars :pac:

My finger tips are ripped to pieces now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I can't wait for the barbers to reopen. My hair is gone ridiculous. It's curling up around the outside of my helmet now.

On the other hand, my mother loves it and says it's the way it should be - just like the way she had it on me in the 1970's. (She hates short/tight haircuts).

I go though phases of going to the barber for a proper haircut or just getting a #2 all over at home. Haven't been to the barber since before this and I'm growing the beard back so I reckon the #2 is the way to go for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I go though phases of going to the barber for a proper haircut or just getting a #2 all over at home. Haven't been to the barber since before this and I'm growing the beard back so I reckon the #2 is the way to go for me.

while bored out of my tree I was looking up blade sizes and growth. You grow approx 1 blade a week. So if anybody is going to try out a closer cut then if you do a #1 in 2 weeks it will be about a #3. The tighter you go the easier it is to shave, down to a #1 anyway, If you use no guard then if you are not evenly shaving it then it shows up more.

Each blade is 1/8" longer than the last. Some lad in the bargain alerts wrongly read his blades and thought he was giving himself a #6 all over, when it was really a #2 which has 6mm written on it!

A #2 is a good length, if you get a #1 you get comments, but everybody gets used to it quickly, including yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭Ryath

My mum's the same if she comments my hair is looking nice it's well overdue a cut!

I was lucky and got it cut days before this started and had it cut a bit shorter than usual. I'll still be taking out the clippers soon enough, might try and tidy it up but more than likely I'll go for the easy option of a blade 2 all over!

rubadub wrote: »
    ... Some lad in the bargain alerts wrongly read his blades and thought he was giving himself a #6 all over, when it was really a #2 which has 6mm written on it!.....
    Every day's a schoolday! I normally get a scissors cut so I'm not that familiar with blades but I presumed a no. 4 was 4mm. no. 3 was 3mm etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,660 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I've not paid for a haircut in over 20 years. Have been sharing my own head. The bottom of having to pay someone to cut my hair now just seems weird.

... Have been sharing my own head.....
    Interesting! Why do others need it? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I've been shaving my head with a Mach 3 for years now & with a newly purchased beard trimmer at the start of the lockdown I'm one of the best groomed men in Ireland these days!!!

Interesting! Why do others need it? :)
    These last few weeks have been very difficult for me, I cannot share my head with the abandon that I used to.

I was overdue a cut when this started. Yesterday while 'in Guinness' my GF convinced me to let her do a top knot, she took a pic and sent it to my thai boxing coach. I'm gonna pay for that one

Eurosport finally have some older racing this week. Road Worlds from 2005 and 2006 today and the 2017 Giro all week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Another of Big Migs Pinarellos is up on eBay, this time a 1994 TdF bike, following a '92 bike earlier last year.

$59000 buys you one of four bikes that Indurain used at that Tour. You'll find it at eBay item number:123667304067 - a 'garage find' by all accounts.

This was the last time a steel bike won the Tour, Lemond having previously brought carbon fibre to the world stage. Despite Pinarello presumably having the means to do so 'in-house', they outsourced the build to none other than the late, great, Dario Pegorettl. It weighed over 10Kg !

Cyclingnews have done a nice feature on the bike, here

€50-odd grand though....:confused: - definitely one for the collector.

cGLQoyaV2emGJxsXJXZaig-970-80.jpg

what length are those cranks? looks like you'd be in danger of connecting with small speed bumps if you didn't keep the cranks horizontal on that...

edit: i see it's in the cyclingnews link, 180mm.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

They could have pumped the tyres for that kind of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Eurosport finally have some older racing this week. Road Worlds from 2005 and 2006 today and the 2017 Giro all week.

Nice one. I was getting tired of them just showing races from last year

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Works started on the Nassau Street cycle facility:
    https://twitter.com/MikeMcKillen/status/1255085977330204672

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Great. I kind of hoped they'd keep going to the top of Grafton Street, but something is better than nothing. I suppose you couldn't do that now with the traffic island as it is between the Douglas Hyde and the top of Dawson Street.

Advertisement