Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saoirse Ronan Appearance on Saturday Night Live

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

tringle wrote: »
    It was Dave Fanning this morning...twice

Did he manage to shoehorn in U2 while he was at it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Think her comedic timing was ok. The material, as other have said, is ****e. She just talks about the same ting on every American show she's even been on - pronouncing her name

Its not as if Alec Baldwins awful Trump sketches are any funnier!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,075 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Don't get the Aer Lingus one. Very weird. I'd prefer if it was a proper pisstake/satire of Ireland, not that drivel that made zero sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

quickbeam wrote: »
    She was fine. It was the sketches that were dire. Not a lot she could do with what she was given. It's not like she wrote them herself (at least, I presume she didn't!!)

Yeah, her delivery was good, I thought. The material on the other hand...

KellyXX wrote: »
    As an Irish person Im actually insulted watching that.
    Shame on her for being part of that.

The Aer Lingus sketch was confusing but hardly offensive. We like potatoes? Sure, there's a lot of truth in that. We like dogs? Confusing and not a stereotype I was aware of but not offensive.

Every nationality has stereotypes attached. It's important to be able to laugh at oneself. (if the material is funny)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Patww79 wrote: »
    Aim something very similar at what's considered a minority though and it's suddenly totally different. Double standards.

I know what you mean, didn't Trump get a bit of a hammering for saying he'd be more popular than fried Chicken and Watermelon in African American households.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Then minorities should be able to laugh at themselves.

Finding something non-offensive offensive just because others sensitive folk might if it was aimed at them makes no sense.

Lets correct the double standard so that everyone is able to take a bit of light ribbing. Instead of correcting it so that we're all offended at everything.

Mr.S wrote: »
    No different to when The Simpsons or Family Guy have Ireland sketches (but they're actually funny)

Exactly, the St. Patrick's Day, prohibition episode of the Simpsons is hilarious.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

KellyXX wrote: »
    As an Irish person Im actually insulted watching that.
    Shame on her for being part of that.

Her mum is Irish dads a brit (could be other way round ) she is American born and her only link to Ireland is she lived here for a few years as a kid. Calling her Irish is a bit much.

So... you find it offensive because there's a double standard. Not because it actually offends you? Okay...

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Her mum is Irish dads a brit (could be other way round ) she is American born and her only link to Ireland is she lived here for a few years as a kid. Calling her Irish is a bit much.

Wut? Both her parents are Irish. She was born in New York because her parents were working there at the time. She moved back to Ireland when she was three so the vast majority of her formative years were spent in Ireland with her Irish parents. She is very much Irish.

Well, this is choosing to be offended. It doesn't actually viscerally offend you. You just want to be offended. Strange.

At least fifteen of her formative years? :confused: And the first three years of her life in New York, she would have been around her Irish parents.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Wut? Both her parents are Irish. She was born in New York because her parents were working there at the time. She moved back to Ireland when she was three so the vast majority of her formative years were spent in Ireland with her Irish parents. She is very much Irish.

Well, this is choosing to be offended. It doesn't actually viscerally offend you. You just want to be offended. Strange.

Quick google shows she purposely claims American citizenship and her dad was born in Manchester. Jeremy irons has a pretty good cork accent btw, when he wants to.

Quick google shows she purposely claims American citizenship and her dad was born in Manchester. Jeremy irons has a pretty good cork accent btw, when he wants to.

I can see why she would retain her American citizenship, that makes things easy for working in the US. Her father is Irish, he was probably just born in the UK. Based on what we know of her, you'd want to be very contrary to say she is not Irish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

Both are Irish and she grew up here from age 3. Totally Irish.

Both are Irish and she grew up here from age 3. Totally Irish.

Well, her father was born in the UK. But I've seen him interviewed and there isn't a shred of English-ness there.

Is she putting on the accent for her marketability then? She doesn't do a bad job of it, considering she only had a couple of years here in fairness to her.

She lived her childhood here for chrissakes

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I love that a lot of Irish people act impervious to being offended, until they are tested remotely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Nope, she's here more like 20 years and her folks have definite Dublin accents. Her core accent is no put on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭sheroman01

AmberGold wrote: »
    A dismal attempt at Comedy.

https://youtu.be/9xCr6IQtYqk

& the Aer Lingus sketch is cringe-worthy.

https://youtu.be/tJIz-XNLEn8

She made some stereotypical Irish jokes to keep the Americans happy and laughing and topped it off with a pretty cool tune about her name. She's not a comedian. Nothing wrong with this at all.

On the topic of stereotypically Irish things, your begrudgery is strong.

Well, don't make a dumb post about her putting on a marketable Irish accent (why exactly would anyone bother with that?) if you don't want people to react to it.

• Advertisement

Yeah read on a bit, and take a couple of deep breaths and a sip of water there horse. I already said I was only going on what the poster before me said.

She’s definitely Irish. Of Irish parents. Lived here most of her life.

Advertisement