Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saoirse Ronan Appearance on Saturday Night Live

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Patww79 wrote: »

Well, that poster was very wrong, hence people WTFing your question. Maybe don't blindly believe what you read?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,042 ✭✭✭Odhinn

SNL is very much American humour. I don't really find any of the sketches I've seen over the years particularly funny.

Depends on the era - john belushi days were hilarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

Mr.S wrote: »
    Yes but they weren't taking the piss out of a minority, they where slagging Ireland. Hardly offensive? ****e comedy and very American but wouldn't call it offensive. No different to when The Simpsons or Family Guy have Ireland sketches (but they're actually funny).

Either way, Aerlingus cashed in. Doubt they'll be complaining!

But the Simpsons are getting grief about their portrayal of Apu, for instance. And Irish people are a minority in the US.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

_Dara_ wrote: »
    I can see why she would retain her American citizenship, that makes things easy for working in the US. Her father is Irish, he was probably just born in the UK. Based on what we know of her, you'd want to be very contrary to say she is not Irish.

If you are born in uk you have a tinge of brit , your name exists in some grotty ledger labelled "subjects of her majesty". No amount of carbolic soap scrubs that from your soul.

Odhinn wrote: »
    I don't get it. Wtf is the whole dogs thing about?

^
    ^
    That wasn't a rhetorical question - does anybody know wtf the thing was with the dogs? Are we supposed to be dog mad or what the jaysus?

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭tringle

sligojoek wrote: »
    Did he manage to shoehorn in U2 while he was at it?

Course his did, mentioned them both in the same sentence and I thought it was U2 clip on SNL he was going to play and he is planning on having them on next weeks show. That Aer Lingus sketch was as cringeworthy with its Paddywhakery as the Irish Remington Steele episode that Pearse Brosnan apologised for (god im old)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

The "Wait, no, the salmon is also potato" and "store your toddlers in the overhead bins" parts were the only bits that were remotely funny. Stereotype humour— bit tired, but nothing I'd be offended by.

The rest of it was god-awful, though. Aer Lingus sounds a lot more like a different sex act than the one mentioned. Most of the accents were terrible. Everyone but the fat guy wanting to get to New York seemed unhappy to be there. Worst of all, the central premise (Ireland is overrun with dogs?) isn't remotely funny— it's not bizarre enough to be truly wacky or accurate enough to be stereotypical. It was just random and stupid.

I'll be honest, I've never been one for SNL skits. Most of them do nothing for me, and I would be a big fan of American sitcoms, so I don't feel their humour in generally lost on me. I just think that particular program is usually chronically unfunny.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

^
    ^
    That wasn't a rhetorical question - does anybody know wtf the thing was with the dogs? Are we supposed to be dog mad or what the jaysus?

I suppose so. I imagine the writers going through a list of Irish stereotypes and throwing them out. Fights a lot? Out! Drunken? Out! Stupid? Of course -Out! Sectarian? Maudlin? Lawless? Out out out.

After days of this some guy in the writers room says he’s heard we like dogs a lot and while we’re at it doesn’t Aer Lingus sound like cunninglingus?

Relief all round!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Every talk show I've seen clips of her on, she is always asked/mocked about her name. Its a simple equivalence but having an Asian actor with an equally 'exotic' sounding and spelling name would hardly receive the same level of scrutiny for obvious reasons. I thinks its white folk feeling its fine to take the piss out of other white folk, regardless of any cultural differences.

I had hope for the 'Aer Lingus' sketch when I saw the correct name and logo and not some obviously made up 'paddy' name for it. Maybe they were trying for some post-paddywhackery satirical perspective, but it just played out as more poor stereotyping of irish people. The genius of Father Ted was that the writers manganed to do just that... wrap up all the perceived British stereotypes about Ireland and sell it back to the British in the form of a sitcom. Sadly for us, most Americans really have no clue about Ireland and believe all that lucky charm leprechaun nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

SNL is bilge. Maybe 100 years ago in Bill Murray's time it had something, but now it's just full of "right on liberal cucks" as our friends in Murica say.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,129 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

^
    ^

No idea. Made zero sense to me. Never knew that dogs were an Irish stereotype. Brutal sketch altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

SNL is fairly dismal 90% of the time: good performers, in the main, being utterly wasted with blunt toothless humour and usually the point of the gag is repeatedly rammed down the neck of the audience. There's no real wit in most of it.

The Alec Baldwin as Trump stuff is a case in point, not to go off on one about that, but it always feels like all the problems of SNL in microcosom are there to be clearly seen in those sketches - It isn't even that close to an impersonation of Trump; it's more an approximation of the media reported tics of Trump rendered into a performance. And it sucks: every punchline is so obvious and self-satisfied and yet it's doled out again and again...and again like it's the best thing they've ever conceived. It's all so safe and lacking any edge whatsoever - and that's the show.

The odd, very odd time ,some good stuff gets past all the blandness. The Tom Hanks Black Jeopardy sketch from last year was great: smart, biting and funny - but they haven't done anything on that level since.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Anything on the wire about how it went down in America?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Patww79 wrote: »

That's all that really matters then. They make SNL for Americans, not for us. If it improves Saoirse's reputation / recognition over there, then more power to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Gatling wrote: »
    Still wouldn't turn her down

After watching that, I would, if it involved a volume button.

I suppose so. I imagine the writers going through a list of Irish stereotypes and throwing them out. Fights a lot? Out! Drunken? Out! Stupid? Of course -Out! Sectarian? Maudlin? Lawless? Out out out.

After days of this some guy in the writers room says he’s heard we like dogs a lot and while we’re at it doesn’t Aer Lingus sound like cunninglingus?

Relief all round!

I suppose we could be charitable and say the writers room had a days notice and are off coke for christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,818 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Is that a fake american Irish accent as they would do one? Weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,818 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I call her
    Sir Cha
    SO much easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,186 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

She did grand on it.
    Watch gal gadot if you want to see a meh guest host.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I thought it was quite funny, better than some of the drivel some of the so called funny Irish comedians come out with anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Pretentious little cow can't stand her.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

She's getting some mileage out of the the Saoirse pronunciation thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Saoirse Ronan is a fantastic actor but I didn't get the sketch at all (what was the joke about the dogs?) and the rest of the cast were dismal as usual. I don't know who keeps telling Kate McKinnon she's funny cos she ain't.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,129 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I thought it was quite funny, better than some of the drivel some of the so called funny Irish comedians come out with anyway

Sounds like you got it. Could you explain the dog thing? I genuinely have no idea what that was about.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,441 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I like Saoirse Ronan, she's a good actress and I think she has a huge career ahead of her.

However, I 'm disappointed in her that she agreed to this sketch with lazy writing.

I don't mind us Irish being slagged but poor accents and potato jokes is just poor.

Also, what was the dog joke about. Don't even think Americans would get that.

Aer Lingus replied with this tweet:

https://twitter.com/AerLingus/status/937345557751836672

whcih is a great play on Trump's tweet.

woman11.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

The Irish and all their dogs thing is such a cliché it isnt in the slightest bit funny anymore.

Ronan is a very talented actress but her Irish accent was brutal in those clips.

She is a plain child, but I think that with her talent, that stands to her compared to many of the hollywood beauties. Her face is a such a blank canvas, she can use it to express so much more than many of her peers, on screen more for the eye candy effect than their acting skills.

Advertisement