Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saoirse Ronan Appearance on Saturday Night Live

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Very funny stuff. She is a role model.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

30 Rock is great. Tina Fey is head writer on a show like Saturday Night Live, just like she was head writer on SNL in real life.

Anyway, even in that the sketches are awful. Purposely bad. I think they know they're bad in SNL but when they say something smugly they seem to think that overrides the awfulness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

Odhinn wrote: »
    Nope.
    what was that joke referring to then?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Ri_Nollaig wrote: »
    God that was bad.

Simpsons and Family guy had actual funny Irish piss-take sketches.
    Especially the "Ireland before the invention of alcohol joke"

I honestly don't get the reference to Dogs..?
    Is it meant to be a reference to the signs "No Dogs, No Blacks and No Irish" ?

and one for AL..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Irish krusty is a favourite of mine

4 minutes of fantastic satire (including the lesser-spotted blowing up of an English chipper 2:09)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I don't get the dogs bit. What link does ireland have to dogs?

wakka12 wrote: »
    I don't get the dogs bit. What link does ireland have to dogs?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

4 minutes of fantastic satire (including the lesser-spotted blowing up of an English chipper 2:09)

Like I said, actually funny sketches :D

also, that English pub blowing up was always edited out when that episode was aired on Sky... wonder why.

• Advertisement

Like I said, actually funny sketches :D

also, that English pub blowing up was always edited out when that episode was aired on Sky... wonder why.

Yep. I feel I was deprived as a child. Also, don't know how I never noticed the sign over Homers head before.... :D

219485.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭Odhinn

what was that joke referring to then?

Nobody seems to have a clue. I thought it might be some irish american stereotype I'd never heard of but could find nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

That was painful. I'd rather watch Alison Spittle. Never thought I'd think or say those words.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

The Irish and all their dogs thing is such a cliché it isnt in the slightest bit funny anymore.

Ronan is a very talented actress but her Irish accent was brutal in those clips.

She is a plain child, but I think that with her talent, that stands to her compared to many of the hollywood beauties. Her face is a such a blank canvas, she can use it to express so much more than many of her peers, on screen more for the eye candy effect than their acting skills.

What cliche about the Irish and all their dogs? Drinking, beating each other with shilleaghs and planting bombs yes but this idea that we're stereotyped as obsessed with dogs is one that I missed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 154 ✭✭iomusicdublin

She should have refused to do the opening Saor sha segment and the Aer lingus skit. It was just stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I don't get what's to be offended about? Irish stereotypes are hilarious to be fair and there's usually a hint of truth about them. The only thing I didn't get was the whole business with the dogs, but it was funny like. It just didn't make a whole pile of sense.

The Aer Lingus -> Cunnilingus thing is definitely a new one though. If there's ever an airline based in Connaught or Connemara, there's a branding opportunity...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

On the name pronunciation, I reckon it's just too familiar to us to be funny - think how alien Irish names must look to non-Irish English speakers though. Particularly ones with a lot of dh and bh sounds in them - Meadhbh is one which I imagine a lot of Americans would scratch their heads over :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

- Meadhbh is one which I imagine a lot of Americans would scratch their heads over :D

That's entry level compared to Caoimhe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Vela

I don't mind her and I didn't think it was that bad. The name thing is getting old, but I've seen worse.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Grayditch wrote: »
    That's entry level compared to Caoimhe.

Wait til Sugru makes it big and Jane Ní Dhulchaointigh starts doing interviews :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

What cliche about the Irish and all their dogs? Drinking, beating each other with shilleaghs and planting bombs yes but this idea that we're stereotyped as obsessed with dogs is one that I missed.

I don’t get it either. The British are known as a dog-obsessed nation but us?

It's got nothing to do with her and how it was written by the SNL writers. She actually did a great job with the what she was given.

Also she's even pronouncing it wrong. It's not Saoirse like inertia.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

_Dara_ wrote: »

We're certainly not a nation of dog lovers. More likely to abandon dogs or let them wander off to their own devices than to take any responsibility for them.

The Aer Lingus sketch was absolutely awful, but, again, she's doing the best with the **** she was given.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

We really shouldn't be surprised they have difficulty with "Saoirse" the fúckers make a hames of St Patrick's Day too!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,441 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

_Dara_ wrote: »

It's the British themselves who promote the idea of being a nation of pet lovers not just dogs.

I don't think people outside the UK think this of them.

Also, most modern western countries in the Northen Hemisphere love pets.
    darkdubh wrote: »
    We're certainly not a nation of dog lovers. More likely to abandon dogs or let them wander off to their own devices than to take any responsibility for them.

It does happen but the majority of dog lovers look after them.

I don't think that is what the sketch was implying though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

On the name pronunciation, I reckon it's just too familiar to us to be funny - think how alien Irish names must look to non-Irish English speakers though. Particularly ones with a lot of dh and bh sounds in them - Meadhbh is one which I imagine a lot of Americans would scratch their heads over :D
    Any American who has watched Ronan's appearances on American chat shows would be painfully familiar with it too. They're all the same as the SNL script virtually word for word

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Top o the mornin to ya. My name is Shursha and I’m Oirish…

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

She seems really lovely, but does she realise that she's the only person in Ireland that says an focail saoirse in her very odd way?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,490 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

razorblunt wrote: »
    We really shouldn't be surprised they have difficulty with "Saoirse" the fúckers make a hames of St Patrick's Day too!

They have the best Patty's day parades though.

Advertisement