Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saoirse Ronan Appearance on Saturday Night Live

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

SNL hasn't been funny for about 30 years.

SNL had a magnificent cast in the 90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

She seems really lovely, but does she realise that she's the only person in Ireland that says an focail saoirse in her very odd way?
    Do you really think it odd that she pronounces it correctly as an Irish-language word?

I find it disappointing that some people with Irish given names do not use the Irish pronunciation (but I don't get cross about it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Also she's even pronouncing it wrong. It's not Saoirse like inertia.
    She seems really lovely, but does she realise that she's the only person in Ireland that says an focail saoirse in her very odd way?

Well, there's two pronunciations in Ireland - SEER-sha (I pronounce it this way) and SIR-sha. SIR-sha seems to be more common in Dublin.

Saor is pronounced 'seer' so I'm not sure where the second pronunciation comes from.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Wes Palmer Lee

I've seen funnier lines written on mass cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,124 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Well, there's two pronunciations in Ireland - SEER-sha (I pronounce it this way) and SIR-sha. SIR-sha seems to be more common in Dublin.

Saor is pronounced 'seer' so I'm not sure where the second pronunciation comes from.

Not really. More like "sayr" with the "ay" as in bay. When the "i" is introduced in Saoirse is becomes "seer-sha".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

What is it English anyway ?

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Not really. More like "sayr" with the "ay" as in bay. When the "i" is introduced in Saoirse is becomes "seer-sha".

Probably depends which area of the country you're taking the pronunciation from, seeing as there can be big differences in pronunciation between the different provinces.

Like Saorview - I'd pronounce that SEER-view. And I've never heard anyone pronounce it 'SAYR-view actually. Saor was always pronounced SEER in my schools. I'm from the West of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

Like Saorview - I'd pronounce that SEER-view. And I've never heard anyone pronounce it 'SAYR-view actually. Saor was always pronounced SEER in my schools. I'm from the West of Ireland.

Would definitely pronounce it sayr-view here. I'm from Dublin.

That said, Irish is very definitely not my specialty.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Interesting, Saor is sayr for me too, saoirse is seersha. The best example I can think of is 'sé mo laoch', definitely layk. Not that anyone is wrong, you never know with accents and dialects

Counter example- Gaoth Dobhair, I'd say Gwaydore not Gweedore

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Not offended by it or anything but christ, the yanks attempts at humour are ****ing diabolical sometimes. It's just so painfully dumbed down and unfunny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

KellyXX wrote: »
    As an Irish person Im actually insulted watching that.
    Shame on her for being part of that.

You wouldn’t be Irish if you weren’t insulted or offended about something these days

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Yisser forgetting the other variation on Irish dialects - some Irish people split vowel sounds into two syllables. So "seer-sha" or "sayr-sha" could also become "see-er sha" or "say-er sha".

Quite common in Dublin accents as well - think "ah heyor, leave it ouu" or "skewel" instead of "school". Also sometimes extra consonant syllables, for instance "girls" becoming "gir-dles".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

I thought it was reasonably funny - the Indo throwing their toys out of the pram over a skit

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Arghus wrote: »
    She has got so much mileage out of her name being hard to pronounce. It's really time to stop talking about it.

Worst of all is that she doesn't pronounce it like any of the Saoirses I know.

Exactly! That Saoirse is like 'inertia' thing - where did she learn that? :rolleyes:

Makes my ears bleed when I hear Saoirse pronounced as SR does it.
    On 'Fair City' (Maclean Burke) Damien calls his baby daughter 'Sursha'.:mad:
    (Aoibheann McCaul) Caoimhe, baby's mother, pronounces the name correctly.
    I know it is only 'Fair City', but you would think that a producer/director would make sure that the child's father could say her name properly!

emo72 wrote: »
    The aer lingus "sketch" was very lame. The writers who came up with that material should be sacked.

I wonder if she will be flying home on Aer Lingus! :D

namloc1980 wrote: »
    No idea. Made zero sense to me. Never knew that dogs were an Irish stereotype. Brutal sketch altogether.

Maybe they were mixing us up with the English? Wouldn't be the first time!! :D

brooke 2 wrote: »
    Exactly! That Saoirse is like 'inertia' thing - where did she learn that? :rolleyes:

Makes my ears bleed when I hear Saoirse pronounced as SR does it.
    On 'Fair City' (Maclean Burke) Damien calls his baby daughter 'Sursha'.:mad:
    (Aoibheann McCaul) Caoimhe, baby's mother, pronounces the name correctly.
    I know it is only 'Fair City', but you would think that a producer/director would make sure that the child's father could say her name properly!

Lots of people pronounce it Sursha! Either Seersha or Sursha is fine, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

spiralism wrote: »
    Not offended by it or anything but christ, the yanks attempts at humour are ****ing diabolical sometimes. It's just so painfully dumbed down and unfunny.

You wouldn't mind but they knew she had done the whole 'Here's how to pronounce my mad name' thing on The Tonight Show, The Late Show and Ellen already, so why bother doing it again. You'd think what with SNL being considered to have a great team of writers that maybe they'd try and live up to that perception and come up with something original.

Honestly haven't laughed at an SNL sketch since the Chris Farley days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭JackTaylorFan

When you're young, privileged and have absolutely nothing of interest to say... But hey! have ya heard how I pronounce me name? It's gas I tell ya!

Lots of people pronounce it Sursha! Either Seersha or Sursha is fine, I think.

I have never heard anyone except SR pronounce it as Sursha.

Saoirse means Freedom. 'Saoirse' na hÉireann is always pronounced as 'Seersha'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭hasdanta

My favourite thing about the comment section is people saying that she did a terrible Irish accent

brooke 2 wrote: »
    I have never heard anyone except SR pronounce it as Sursha.

Saoirse means Freedom. 'Saoirse' na hÉireann is always pronounced as 'Seersha'.

In Dublin, Sursha is often how people pronounce it. I’ve certainly met people who use that pronunciation. I’d say seer for soar but some people apparently say sayr which is probably where Sursha comes from. Some Irish words are pronounced a few different ways because there are different forms of Irish eg. Connaught Irish, Munster Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I've never heard anyone say 'seerview' - it's always 'sayrview'

Even the Saorview information channel it's pronounced 'sayrview'

I find it hard to believe that you've never heard anyone pronounce it that way.

lawred2 wrote: »

What can I tell you?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,108 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

lawred2 wrote: »

Saorview is sayr but in Saoirse there is an extra i after the o changing it to seersha. Or so we were always thought anyway !
    As an aside my husband is not Irish and pronounces the name Saoirse beautifully . Only recently he saw it written down and said " how on earth do you say that ? !!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Saorview is sayr but in Saoirse there is an extra i after the o changing it to seersha. Or so we were always thought anyway !
    As an aside my husband is not Irish and pronounces the name Saoirse beautifully . Only recently he saw it written down and said " how on earth do you say that ? !!

lol

Once told most of these names are very easy to repeat - it's say what you see is where anyone not Irish would fall down.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

spiralism wrote: »

Exactly you really have to go to extreme paraody so they even know what you're talking about.sketch is cringe worth to say the least.big fan of saoirse ronan though.thought she was excellent in movies like the lovely bones and grand budapest hotel- really liked that movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

I just watched it there now. Is this supposed to be funny? What's the story with the dogs?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Funny how? wrote: »
    Typical Irish begrudging a young person doing well for themselves.

Second page and the begrudgery line brought out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭S. Goodspeed

The reaction to this sketch is more embarrassing than the sketch itself. The Indo are having a field day with it. The sketch isnt funny but most of the SNL stuff isnt these days. At the end of the day though its "comedy" and its not supposed to make sense or be rooted in accuracy.

Like many people I thought Borat was hilarious and that ruthlessly ripped the p*ss out of Kazakhstan so it would be very hypocritical to get offended by some bad irish accents and a lot of dog references (no idea what they were getting at there).

I have to admit I chuckled at the potato joke ("We've got fingerling potatoes. We've got purple potatoes, and we got salmon. Oh actually my mistake, the salmon is also potatoes."). You can either take this is a joke about the famine (which a lot of people always seem very eager to) or as a joke about the fact that we do eat a sh*t load of potatoes here (as an aside on my Christmas table there will be roast potatoes, creamed potatoes, boiled potatoes and chips...)

Advertisement