Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saoirse Ronan Appearance on Saturday Night Live

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,441 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

The Irish and all their dogs thing is such a cliché it isnt in the slightest but funny anymore.

Ronan is a very talented actress but her Irish accent was brutal in those clips.

She is a plain child, but I think that with her talent, that stands to her compared to many of the hollywood beauties. Her face is a such a blank canvas, she can use it to express so much more than many of her peers, on screen more for the eye candy effect than their acting skills.

What are you on about her accent for? She's Irish and spoke in her normal voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Quite cringey alright

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭Odhinn

The Irish and all their dogs thing is such a cliché it isnt in the slightest bit funny anymore.

Ronan is a very talented actress but her Irish accent was brutal in those clips.

She is a plain child
    , but I think that with her talent, that stands to her compared to many of the hollywood beauties. Her face is a such a blank canvas, she can use it to express so much more than many of her peers, on screen more for the eye candy effect than their acting skills.

Staying true to your initials?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

I've never liked Saoirse Ronan. I've found her to be false and rather annoying.

She's done nothing to redeem herself here.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,037 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

It feels very limp, much like a lot of modern comedy. Comedy is dead to be honest because of the culture of avoiding upsetting some group or other. Take that SNL sketch, most of us are like, what was all that about? Dogs and Aer Lingus, oh and potatoes. How original.

Saying that would they dare say the same about other ethnic groups? Probably not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,124 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

The Irish and all their dogs thing is such a cliché it isnt in the slightest bit funny anymore.

Anymore?? I didn't even know that was a cliché. When did the "Irish and all their dogs" thing happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

murpho999 wrote: »
    I like Saoirse Ronan, she's a good actress and I think she has a huge career ahead of her.

However, I 'm disappointed in her that she agreed to this sketch with lazy writing.

I don't mind us Irish being slagged but poor accents and potato jokes is just poor.

Also, what was the dog joke about. Don't even think Americans would get that.

Agree, completely. My wife watched (who isn't Irish) and said "Why is she lowering herself to this? She's a great actress.".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

Agree, completely. My wife watched (who isn't Irish) and said "Why is she lowering herself to this? She's a great actress.".

I assume she did it because it's watched by a fairly huge audience and is, for some bizarre reason, a cornerstone of American culture. It's considered an honour to be on it, and she has a movie out so possibly there was some pressure to appear also.

I certainly wouldn't hold it against her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Both are Irish and she grew up here from age 3. Totally Irish.

Not as far as Irish Nativists are concerned, you must have your birth videotaped in an HSE Hospital, and be able to recite every episode of Bosco verbatim to prove growing up here, as well as having your school reports at hand just in case your parents didn't skip over to england for a year and take you with them, which if they did, would render you a B-R-I-T.

She does ham her accent up a bit though.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭tringle

velo.2010 wrote: »
    Every talk show I've seen clips of her on, she is always asked/mocked about her name. Its a simple equivalence but having an Asian actor with an equally 'exotic' sounding and spelling name would hardly receive the same level of scrutiny for obvious reasons..

This I understand and sympathise with, I have an unusual surname and after 20 years working for one organisation its still the first topic of conversation when introduced to someone. I once rang 2 FM and was live on air for a quiz, about 30 seconds for the quiz and a good 3 minutes about my name. Checked into a hotel and 5 minutes at the desk, even passport control. Now i just glare when people ask

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Endaaaagh

Long way to go to top when Liam Neeson appeared

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Fanning on about it and playing clips now on Ryan Tubridy's show

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

Endaaaagh wrote: »

Bloody hell!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

AmberGold wrote: »
    A dismal attempt at Comedy.

https://youtu.be/9xCr6IQtYqk

& the Aer Lingus sketch is cringe-worthy.

https://youtu.be/tJIz-XNLEn8

going native is sooooooo cool

• Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

She is a plain child, but I think that with her talent, that stands to her compared to many of the hollywood beauties. Her face is a such a blank canvas, she can use it to express so much more than many of her peers, on screen more for the eye candy effect than their acting skills.

I only discovered this 'well known cliche' yesterday evening

• Registered Users Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭tigger123

sligojoek wrote: »
    Fanning on about it and playing clips now on Ryan Tubridy's show

Just heard it, the potato jokes are pretty cringey.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

if yor going to make fun of an airline or a region

jet 2 hadnt even been invented

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

This was far more offensive. I like that Seth guy but ffs...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

sligojoek wrote: »
    Ryan Tubridy will be on singing her praises tomorrow. Telling us all how great she is and playing the clip over and over

Come on now.

He talks about things other than Saoirse Ronan.

Like books.

And the Kennedys.

And books about the Kennedys.

But yes, the few occasions I was late for work in traffic and tuned into him, there was much gushing about Saoirse Ronan. I had to stop and remind myself that she was just a film actress.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

judeboy101 wrote: »
    If you are born in uk you have a tinge of brit , your name exists in some grotty ledger labelled "subjects of her majesty". No amount of carbolic soap scrubs that from your soul.

Ha ha brilliant.

Wrong, but brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

God that was bad.

Simpsons and Family guy had actual funny Irish piss-take sketches.
    Especially the "Ireland before the invention of alcohol joke"

I honestly don't get the reference to Dogs..?
    Is it meant to be a reference to the signs "No Dogs, No Blacks and No Irish" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Ri_Nollaig wrote: »
    God that was bad.

I think it's more just us paddies are so incompetent and not concerned about safety that we'd have 5 dogs in the cockpit of a commercial airliner.

Anyway awful awful dross by Saoirse, but as said already SNL is a terrible unfunny show - with rubbish impersonators - always has been.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Its on PK now ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

I laughed at the montage bit. The Simpsons made similar jokes back in the day. The pregnancy bit - there was something similar on the Simpsons. So SNL is unoriginal more than anything else. It’s more taking the piss out of the stereotypes.

Funny how? wrote: »
    Typical Irish begrudging a young person doing well for themselves.

Don't think Saoirse comes in for any particular hatred. Seems a lovely girl. A spade is a spade though and that sketch was awful múck

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

She's doing her bit to keep Trump sweet. Got to get Ireland out of his sights for the next couple of months before he's put in jail.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Ri_Nollaig wrote: »
    God that was bad.

I'm assuming perhaps incorrectly that its more "dya wanna buy a dag" stuff from Snatch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

razorblunt wrote: »
    I'm assuming perhaps incorrectly that its more "dya wanna buy a dag" stuff from Snatch.

Was that the one where Brad Pitt f****d all over the accent ????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭Odhinn

razorblunt wrote: »

Nope.

Advertisement