Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saoirse Ronan Appearance on Saturday Night Live

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I think stereotypes are fine, I think most people are just baffled as to how, or why, it's supposed to be funny. It's just bad, bottom of the barrel comedy, like something you'd laugh at when you were 10.

The Liam Neeson one posted a few pages back is another example of the same. No actual wit or intelligence behind the sketch, just brainless 'it's funny because the Irish all live in cottages and drink and fight and pop out babies'. And that very stereotype can be funny when done right - Family Guy has hit it a few times very well. But this SNL stuff is just cringe inducing, and I don't know who it's aimed at.

Even domestically, The Savage Eye was absolutely brilliant at parodying our own cultural stereotypes.

Always loved this Family Guy episode where they go to the Museum of Irish Heritage.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I think stereotypes are fine, I think most people are just baffled as to how, or why, it's supposed to be funny. It's just bad, bottom of the barrel comedy, like something you'd laugh at when you were 10.
    I'm not even sure a 10 year old would laugh at it.

Satire/parody only works when it bears a resemblance to the thing it's parodying, even if it's just a stereotype. The SNL skit didn't. It wasn't offensive, it just wasn't funny. "Maybe if we put on bad Irish accents and mention things that are Irish, like Oscar Wilde, something funny will pop out". No.

It's S-air-sha to me.

Also don't get me started on the many pronunciations of Aoibheann.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,008 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

The Liam Neeson one posted a few pages back is another example of the same. No actual wit or intelligence behind the sketch, just brainless 'it's funny because the Irish all live in cottages and drink and fight and pop out babies'. And that very stereotype can be funny when done right - Family Guy has hit it a few times very well. But this SNL stuff is just cringe inducing, and I don't know who it's aimed at.

Even domestically, The Savage Eye was absolutely brilliant at parodying our own cultural stereotypes.

Always loved this Family Guy episode where they go to the Museum of Irish Heritage.

This.

I have no problem with Irish stereotypes. We are quick to joke about everyone else so should be able to take a joke about ourselves...... and we are. It's just that those were SO bad.

I LOVE when Family Guy rips into the Irish (When he goes to Ireland it's hilarious).

And this is NOT begrudgery: Saoirse Ronan is a fantastic actor and deserves all the credit she gets. Fair play to her. I hope she gets her Oscar soon (Over due) and makes a sh*t load of money. But, by god those sketches were just.......lazy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Honestly, I'm kind of embarrassed by how some Irish people have reacted to this. I thought we were good craic here, and even if we didn't get a joke or whatever, we'd still be able to take it in good fun. I can't help being reminded of the Bart vs Australia episode of the Simpsons (which included even worse accents and more nonsensical made up stereotypes than the Aer Lingus bit), except in that case it was just a few uptight old people getting annoyed while most Australians seem to have run with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

It's just bad, bottom of the barrel comedy, like something you'd laugh at when you were 10.

Surely you're completely contradicting yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

C14N wrote: »
    Honestly, I'm kind of embarrassed by how some Irish people have reacted to this. I thought we were good craic here, and even if we didn't get a joke or whatever, we'd still be able to take it in good fun. I can't help being reminded of the Bart vs Australia episode of the Simpsons (which included even worse accents and more nonsensical made up stereotypes than the Aer Lingus bit), except in that case it was just a few uptight old people getting annoyed while most Australians seem to have run with it.

The Simpsons, South Park and Family Guy have all at different times lampooned Ireland using various stereotypes.

I didn't see anyone taking any offence over here.

The only embarrassing thing about this SNL comedy sketch was the utter absence of any comedy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Effects wrote: »
    Surely you're completely contradicting yourself?

How? I said the stereotypes can be funny if there's some level of wit or intelligence behind them.

SNL's Irish jokes seem to be 'lets put on fake Irish accents, they're funny enough that we don't need to bother putting any effort into the actual sketch'.
    Honestly, I'm kind of embarrassed by how some Irish people have reacted to this. I thought we were good craic here, and even if we didn't get a joke or whatever, we'd still be able to take it in good fun.

I'm baffled as to how some people actually think Irish people are 'offended' by it.

The overwhelming reaction is that the skit is painfully unfunny because it's devoid of any comedic talent or wit.

There are plenty of other funny plays on Irish stereotypes that Irish people respond very well to, because they're....well, funny.

The issue with SNL isn't that it's offensive to Irish people. Not sure how people are convinced that that is actually the issue. It's that it's just not funny and a bit strange to boot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

The reaction to this sketch is more embarrassing than the sketch itself. The Indo are having a field day with it. The sketch isnt funny but most of the SNL stuff isnt these days. At the end of the day though its "comedy" and its not supposed to make sense or be rooted in accuracy.

Like many people I thought Borat was hilarious and that ruthlessly ripped the p*ss out of Kazakhstan so it would be very hypocritical to get offended by some bad irish accents and a lot of dog references (no idea what they were getting at there).

I have to admit I chuckled at the potato joke ("We've got fingerling potatoes. We've got purple potatoes, and we got salmon. Oh actually my mistake, the salmon is also potatoes."). You can either take this is a joke about the famine (which a lot of people always seem very eager to) or as a joke about the fact that we do eat a sh*t load of potatoes here (as an aside on my Christmas table there will be roast potatoes, creamed potatoes, boiled potatoes and chips...)
    It's a standard thing I've always found interesting, a lot of Irish people are great at "having the craic", "the banter" etc until it comes time for us to be the butt of the joke, then they're up on their high horse ready to get offended in the blink of an eye. The same could probably be said of many nations, to be fair.

Never noticed until I lived abroad, but yeah we much we really do eat potatoes (and dairy!)... I don't even eat much of them by Irish standards, and have still room mates equal parts mystified and horrified with the spud'n'dairy consumption :p

lawred2 wrote: »
    The Simpsons, South Park and Family Guy have all at different times lampooned Ireland using various stereotypes.

I didn't see anyone taking any offence over here.

The only embarrassing thing about this SNL comedy sketch was the utter absence of any comedy.

Except it wasn't absent of comedy. Some bad accents and stereotypes are comedy, even if it isn't that funny. And to be honest, I'm more than happy to laugh at shows doing bad English, Australian, Canadian or whatever accents. I also thought it was funny when The Simpsons made up a joke about Brazil being covered in angry monkeys. It's not true at all, and it's not something anyone really thought about Brazil, but that's why it's funny. Same thing with the dogs in the SNL sketch. And part of the enjoyment is knowing that it's going to really bother some humourless person out there from that country.

• Advertisement

That episode is apparently in the Australian national archives or library or somesuch now, "I see you've played knifey-spoony before" was about as common as a Fr. Ted quote in Sydney when I was there. I'm sure some did get offended over there (because giving but not being able to take can be a trait of a fair few Aussies too) but by and large they love it.

I haven't looked through the thread too much to see if anyone was OFFENDED by the sketches. I may have missed it but from what I saw, people weren't OFFENDED. It's just that the sketches were painfully unfunny in their opinion (And mine). Everyone has their own opinion and if people thought they were funny then happy days. But for most here the sketches weren't offensive... Just BAD.

Simpsons, when they went to Ireland. Bad bad bad. But then it was post season 9.
    Family Guy whenever they do Ireland. Funny.

Again, that's just MY opinion which is just as valid as everyone else's (ie. Not valid at all outside of oneself)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,441 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Why are you embarrassed?

I don't think Irish people are offended but are commenting on how poor the sketch was.

The stereotypes of accents, Aran jumpers and potatoes was lazy and then they seemed to try and create a new stereotype of being a nation overrun by dogs.

I think that Saoirse should have asked what the hell is going on before agreeing to do this.

I'm baffled as to how some people actually think Irish people are 'offended' by it.

The overwhelming reaction is that the skit is painfully unfunny because it's devoid of any comedic talent or wit.

There are plenty of other funny plays on Irish stereotypes that Irish people respond very well to, because they're....well, funny.

The issue with SNL isn't that it's offensive to Irish people. Not sure how people are convinced that that is actually the issue. It's that it's just not funny and a bit strange to boot.

Because people going out of there way to talk about how unfunny something is is generally a sign that they're offended by it in some way. When Donald Trump needs to take to Twitter to talk about how bad the SNL impression of him is, we all know that it's not because he doesn't approve of the way the jokes were timed, it's because it's making fun of him personally, and just calling it "not funny" is a better defense mechanism because it sounds more objective. Something that just isn't very funny doesn't spawn numerous articles and a 10-page thread discussing it. Nobody is here talking about the weak Late for Class sketch from the same episode, people just shrug and forget about it. SNL has at least one dud sketch every week.

And honestly, almost any of the stuff people are complaining about is stuff most of us would laugh at if it were directed at some other country. I still refer back to Bart vs Australia on this because it's such a universally liked episode of a very popular show that literally did everything this bit did. It had horribly bad accents (Tobias, Andy etc), stereotypes that annoy Australians and that nobody who knows Australia would perpetuate (everyone drinking Fosters, kangaroos and koalas just hanging around the city) and then some completely out of left field stereotypes that make no sense at all ("disparaging the boot is a bootable offense, it's one of their proudest traditions", "I see you've played knifey-spooney before"), so I feel it's pretty hypocritical to act surprised that someone else might find all this funny when it applies to us.

And I have seen plenty of posts just straight up saying stuff like "it was xenophobic" or "they would never do this to X" or whatever around the net.

Because people going out of there way to talk about how unfunny something is is generally a sign that they're offended by it in some way.

Speak for yourself. That's a HUGE generalisation with no grounding in fact.

I found them unfunny but not offended by them in any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,441 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Because people going out of there way to talk about how unfunny something is is generally a sign that they're offended by it in some way. When Donald Trump needs to take to Twitter to talk about how bad the SNL impression of him is, we all know that it's not because he doesn't approve of the way the jokes were timed, it's because it's making fun of him personally, and just calling it "not funny" is a better defense mechanism because it sounds more objective. Something that just isn't very funny doesn't spawn numerous articles and a 10-page thread discussing it. Nobody is here talking about the weak Late for Class sketch from the same episode, people just shrug and forget about it. SNL has at least one dud sketch every week.

And I have seen plenty of posts just straight up saying stuff like "it was xenophobic" or "they would never do this to X" or whatever.

Really disagree with this.

It was just not funny and it was baffling.

It was disappointing that they would use old stereotypes and resort to potato and accent jokes.

This does not mean I was offended. Just wish Americans would stop portraying the Darby O'Gill image of Ireland and modernise. Plenty of stuff to take the p1ss out of in Ireland weather it's our weather, Northern Ireland issues, politics, economic management, drinking (which is almost true and deserves to be ridiculed).

People are also surprised that an Irish celebrity would take part in this.

Your Donald Trump comparison is poor as he was the subject of the jokes so had a very personal impact on him.

It's S-air-sha to me.

Also don't get me started on the many pronunciations of Aoibheann.

Generally not a fan of his but this is a really good bit on Irish names:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Probably depends which area of the country you're taking the pronunciation from, seeing as there can be big differences in pronunciation between the different provinces.

Like Saorview - I'd pronounce that SEER-view. And I've never heard anyone pronounce it 'SAYR-view actually. Saor was always pronounced SEER in my schools. I'm from the West of Ireland.

ao(i) is pronounced "ee" in southern dialects

Except it wasn't absent of comedy. Some bad accents and stereotypes are comedy, even if it isn't that funny. And to be honest, I'm more than happy to laugh at shows doing bad English, Australian, Canadian or whatever accents. I also thought it was funny when The Simpsons made up a joke about Brazil being covered in angry monkeys. It's not true at all, and it's not something anyone really thought about Brazil, but that's why it's funny. Same thing with the dogs in the SNL sketch. And part of the enjoyment is knowing that it's going to really bother some humourless person out there from that country.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Billy86 wrote: »
    That episode is apparently in the Australian national archives or library or somesuch now, "I see you've played knifey-spoony before" was about as common as a Fr. Ted quote in Sydney when I was there. I'm sure some did get offended over there (because giving but not being able to take can be a trait of a fair few Aussies too) but by and large they love it.

But you see the difference is is that "I see you've played knifey-spoony before" is actually funny.

On a purely comedic level and all perceived sensitivities apart - the Simpsons in Australia was funny. That SNL sketch was not funny.

All in my opinion of course.

Maybe someone found the SNL sketch funny. But not me.

• Advertisement

lawred2 wrote: »
    But you see the difference is is that "I see you've played knifey-spoony before" is actually funny.

On a purely comedic level and all perceived sensitivities apart - the Simpsons in Australia was funny. That SNL sketch was not funny.

All in my opinion of course.

Maybe someone found the SNL sketch funny. But not me.

That's true, but the Simpsons years back had a few funny quips like "don't trust him Itchy, he's Irish!" that I've seen people get quite offended by for reasons completely lost on me. I do agree the SNL sketch was just poor, mind you... not so much in taste as execution.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

I'm embarrassed and offended by it as it is lazy stereotyping again. As someone who lives here it's worse as the natives thought it was funny when it clearly isnt.

Also hypocritical of the writers to see us as a nation overrun by dogs when dogs here are treated better than humans and some call them their "dog babies". Saw a dog the other day with a dress on. Serious mental health issues here.

The whole thing is about as funny as Irish car bombs being advertised for "Patty's Day".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

AmberGold wrote: »
    A dismal attempt at Comedy.

https://youtu.be/9xCr6IQtYqk

& the Aer Lingus sketch is cringe-worthy.

https://youtu.be/tJIz-XNLEn8

Thought is was brilliant. Can't see any yank not laughing at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Because people going out of there way to talk about how unfunny something is is generally a sign that they're offended by it in some way.

Or maybe this thread exists because a popular Irish actress landed a big gig in hosting SNL for the first (and last?) time and didn't pull them aside to tell them "eh... no that sketch is shysh" or course correct them to try make a better sketch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

The reaction to this sketch is more embarrassing than the sketch itself. The Indo are having a field day with it. The sketch isnt funny but most of the SNL stuff isnt these days. At the end of the day though its "comedy" and its not supposed to make sense or be rooted in accuracy.

Like many people I thought Borat was hilarious and that ruthlessly ripped the p*ss out of Kazakhstan so it would be very hypocritical to get offended by some bad irish accents and a lot of dog references (no idea what they were getting at there).

I have to admit I chuckled at the potato joke ("We've got fingerling potatoes. We've got purple potatoes, and we got salmon. Oh actually my mistake, the salmon is also potatoes."). You can either take this is a joke about the famine (which a lot of people always seem very eager to) or as a joke about the fact that we do eat a sh*t load of potatoes here (as an aside on my Christmas table there will be roast potatoes, creamed potatoes, boiled potatoes and chips...)

What kind of monster has chips with their Christmas dinner?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,040 ✭✭✭Odhinn

2ndcoming wrote: »
    What kind of monster has chips with their Christmas dinner?

I like chips with me turkey. Yes, I am that classy, thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭milehip

brooke 2 wrote: »
    I wonder if she will be flying home on Aer Lingus! :D

Hopefully she'll stay over there ta feck!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

goose2005 wrote: »

Exactly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

goose2005 wrote: »

Apparently not by all. If many people of a population pronounce it the "wrong" way, then it's not really wrong, is it? Language evolves.

• Advertisement

I have heard it being pronounced like Sorcha as well as the "ee" (In Tipp we would pronounce it with "ee")

Advertisement