Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Potential for Snow Showers this Week, 8-12th Dec

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭noobsnow95

What's the potential for some snow in limerick city tonight? currently raining.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,447 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I do think we will see flakes in Dublin in the early hours but at this stage little if no accumulations. But you never know for certain. That's the good thing about the weather. It can surprise us.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Light rain here (in south Dublin) at the moment and temp also slowly falling....time crank out the DP stats! :)

4.0c DP 2.6c atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

So a restless nite ahead of half sleep listening to that noise against the window in the bedroom. Is it rain, is it snow, because they sound kinda similar. Ok, ill have to get up and look out and see. O, it's rain! No no hold on wait a minute, did I see a flake or 2 coming down past the lamppost?. Back to bed for 20 min up again
    Repeat, repeat, repeat lol
    Tru story

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Slow but steady fall in temps. 3.6c DP 2.4c atm.

I would have to imagine the Dublin/Wicklow mountains should be having snow this afternoon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,447 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Right i'm relocating to the bat cave snow bunker in a secret location closer to Dublin City Center. Lots of lamp posts there. Beer shall be purchased and snow watch shall begin:cool:

See ya later!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Heavy rain here in North Dublin for the last half an hour or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Strangegravy

Iancar29 wrote: »
    The models may look great like that , it will be cold enough for snow tonight but will there be actually enough precipitation about is the main question .

This.

It will just be a case of watching the rainfall radar for a big blob coming towards your house, and then praying it's snow!

But sure isn't that where the fun is! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

DOCARCH wrote: »

I would have to imagine the Dublin/Wicklow mountains should be having snow this afternoon.

Anyone know of a weather station near the Wicklow Mountains to check DP? There used to be one outside Roundwood but I think it's inactive now unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

A good rule of thumb that I used was if it was 5c in Kilmacud and raining, it would be snowing at the kippure carpark (probably 1c with 0c DP up there).
    It was nearly always accurate!

I always used to add 2c more on for the top of Lugnaquilla but I never fully checked that one out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

The sky outside my home in Dublin has that steely grey look that I always associate with snow... not sure if it's quite cold enough yet though. Maybe a chance of sleet!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Casemont DP temperature is actually going up currently :(

Nowhere near low enough for snow. Not a good talisman.

http://weather.gladstonefamily.net/site/EIME

Looking at the offshore buoys, all in positive figures there too

http://www.met.ie/latest/buoy.asp

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Looking at the offshore buoys, all in positive figures there too

http://www.met.ie/latest/buoy.asp

I wouldn't worry about the bouy reports at all. Usually only look at those when the weather is coming from the NE, E or SE. In this case we are looking for something from the W/NW.

Slight rise in temp and DP here. 3.7c DP 2.7c

It's really only when the rain band starts clearing south can we expect a chance of something interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

HighLine wrote: »
    Anyone know of a weather station near the Wicklow Mountains to check DP? There used to be one outside Roundwood but I think it's inactive now unfortunately.
    If I were at home, I've a maplin's station! I'm only a little above the village, and quote often below the snow line in these situations though. Earlier in the week, we had none at around 230m asl, but I'd guess 240m asl had a dusting!

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Strangegravy

From about 3am - 9am overnight, air conditions should be perfect for snow for the majority of the country, even earlier the further north you are, if you believe the charts.

So any precipitation that falls during this time has a good chance of being snow. Sat24 and also the rainfall radar will be your best friend at that stage.

Watch the lamp posts tonight people and good luck! :)

183 people on this forum....somethin's up! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

A lot less red on the latest charts unfortunately....

uksnowrisk.png

uksnowrisk.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Snow!

I wish :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Tiger Mcilroy

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    Snow!

I wish :(

Instaban please..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

... temp also slowly falling....time crank out the DP stats! :)

4.0c DP 2.6c atm.

Time also to crank out the lamp posts :);):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Light Rain.. Temp 4.1c DP up to 4c now... Would want to see a big drop later on.

In South Dublin by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

I wouldn't worry about the bouy reports at all. Usually only look at those when the weather is coming from the NE, E or SE. In this case we are looking for something from the W/NW.

Slight rise in temp and DP here. 3.7c DP 2.7c

It's really only when the rain band starts clearing south can we expect a chance of something interesting.

Don't forget the current weather is pushing down over us and pushing the milder air out of the way. Expect the temps to start falling very quickly later this evening

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Ah but the M4 Buoy is "Approximately 45 nautical miles (83 km) west northwest of Rossan Point". Right where we need to be looking at.

I can forsee a lot of disappointed people on here tomorrow. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 18,106 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Ah but the M4 Buoy is "Approximately 45 nautical miles (83 km) west northwest of Rossan Point". Right where we need to be looking at.

I can forsee a lot of disappointed people on here tomorrow. :o

Is it still not a bit early yet to estimate weather off current reports?

Fair 'nuff. Living in Dublin I would never look at stats for DP at that bouy! :P

But, look at Finner 6c DP 0c And, Malin Head 6c DP 1c. And, Eglinton 4c DP 1c. Not bad DPs!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

knock airport is 2c and 1c DP, getting very close there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭RED L4 0TH

Good DP's in the N & W by 3am.

15-101UK_yex8.GIF

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Is it still not a bit early yet to estimate weather off current reports?

You haven't been on here long enough to know how high emotions run when the snow bunnies sit waiting expectantly ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,106 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Shannon airport is 7c, that's disappointing. No snow here in the next few hours anyway.
    Is there any snow in the north yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,727 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

North Kilkenny: 4.8c, DP:4.5c

altitdue over 200 metres.

Temperature has actually risen over the last hour.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement