Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Weather 2015/16 : See Mod Note Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭esposito

sryanbruen wrote: »
    I am sick and tired of storms. At least be winter storms with heavy snowfall, then I would be happy.

At least the temps are dropping to around 5 or 6 degrees (daytime max) towards the end of next week.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

a 2 week dry crispy and frosty spell or a change to something snowy from the east, both are good and anything is better than the current run of Atlantic muck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

esposito wrote: »
    At least the temps are dropping to around 5 or 6 degrees (daytime max) towards the end of next week.

So it'll be cold as well as wet. Great.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

I'm going for a minimum station record here in southern poland. In the 3 winters I've lived here I've had -21.3c as my minimum (Jan 2015).

Yesterday morning -17.1c, and currently -18.3.

Cold Siberian air until Monday so a chance I'll break it. Colder air should be moving in from Ukraine today for 48hours until the scandi high gets pushed away by that powerful Atlantic.

Still currently this winter its snowless (lots of snow in the autumn here).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Looks like people will get their must needed restbite next week. One or two more low pressure systems next week then it switches to a mostly northerly flow with a few occasional heavy showers feeding down from the north, but long dry spells too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Looks like people will get their must needed restbite next week. One or two more low pressure systems next week then it switches to a mostly northerly flow with a few occasional heavy showers feeding down from the north, but long dry spells too.

Is there not a potentially serious storm due next Thursday?

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    Is there not a potentially serious storm due next Thursday?

Not from Met Eireanns forecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

Folks, with 1/3 of the winter now gone and the coming 10 days looking wet & mild, it would appear that half of the Irish winter will have passed and barely a snow flake will have fallen in lowland Ireland. How depressing, it would appear that the seasons are merging into one season - I recently read an article that Britain is the "land of eternal October" , i.e. wet, mild and temperatures in the 8oC-13oC range. I think this also applies to Ireland.

Meanwhile, get ready for further rain tomorrow, Sunday along with wind. There appears to no let-up in the Atlantic conveyor belt and not even a wee hint of snow......we live in hope :)

D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Welcome respite up here. South Kerry Mountains 400 asl Greedy rain and wind have licked all the snow topping off the back mountains but the clouds that are gathering are snow dark. Cattle graze on and all is well , for how long remains to be seen but very welcoem these hours are. Small rain and hail showers and a bite to the wind but nothing like yesterday and last night.

derekon wrote: »
    Folks, with 1/3 of the winter now gone and the coming 10 days looking wet & mild, it would appear that half of the Irish winter will have passed and barely a snow flake will have fallen in lowland Ireland. How depressing, it would appear that the seasons are merging into one season - I recently read an article that Britain is the "land of eternal October" , i.e. wet, mild and temperatures in the 8oC-13oC range. I think this also applies to Ireland.

Meanwhile, get ready for further rain tomorrow, Sunday along with wind. There appears to no let-up in the Atlantic conveyor belt and not even a wee hint of snow......we live in hope :)

D

You are letting depression rule.. In my first year in Ireland, an old farmer assured me from experience that January is the month we can expect snow. Told me that the old cottage i was in had been buried to the roof one year. My third year there in March the roads were blocked with heavy snow. You dont want to believe these "articles" which I never read. Just watch the skies and see what comes and enjoy or cope with that. Frost is in the near future!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

D

That sounds a bit extreme. Britain and Ireland are ultimately temperate maritime climates so calling them mild isn't exactly new insight. I can only really speak for Eastern and South Eastern England but in an apparently poor summer it was still 20-25C with sunny intervals and average rain 90% of summer. I had lots of time for walking this summer and went on 1-2 hour walks every day, 95% in shorts and a T-shirt from June-September. October was stunning at times too. I don't buy the "eternal Autumn" thing. Seems to apply to Scotland, Ireland, and North West England.

I saw that discrepancy between met eireean and other forecasts. Time will tell all.

Today's High in Southern Poland -11.6c. Now its dropping again as the sun has gone behind the mountains and I'm expecting a minimum record here either tonight or tomorrow as the cold flow is now arriving from Ukraine for a couple of days.

snaps wrote: »
    Today's High in Southern Poland -11.6c. Now its dropping again as the sun has gone behind the mountains and I'm expecting a minimum record here either tonight or tomorrow as the cold flow is now arriving from Ukraine for a couple of days.

Take care, those conditions are very severe! Is there much Ice around?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Nothing on Met Eireann, UK Met Office, Accuweather or others about another storm so soon. Continuing Wet and windy for the next couple of weeks though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

I recently read an article that Britain is the "land of eternal October" , i.e. wet, mild and temperatures in the 8oC-13oC range. I think this also applies to Ireland.

It does. And old name for Ireland was 'Hibernia'. meaning 'land of Winter'. Although since the Celtic Revival, this was curiously interpreted to mean 'land of abundance', which was most likely an attempt by scholars to deflect from the truth to put forward a more positive image of Ireland.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 13,662 ✭✭✭✭josip

Snow is falling, all around.
    Children playing, having fun.
    Tis the season, here in Belgrade.
    Happy New Year, everyone.

We'll bring some back to ye all on the 5th :)

Take care, those conditions are very severe! Is there much Ice around?

No its a dry cold. The roads are fine. Our river though is frozen over! Hopefully the kids can skate on it tomorrow.

373401.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    It does. And old name for Ireland was 'Hibernia'. meaning 'land of Winter'. Although since the Celtic Revival, this was curiously interpreted to mean 'land of abundance', which was most likely an attempt by scholars to deflect from the truth to put forward a more positive image of Ireland.

The scholars were correct though...

We live with the Gulf Stream keeping us warm, sitting beside the second biggest ocean on the planet and severe cold is an exception, this winter had an exceptional December but weather that is not unusual, in one way the wrong December was due given how drier than normal the rest of the year had been, still 2015 was drier than normal for my location despite December.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

Oneiric 3 wrote:

The Romans even decided not to conquer Ireland because it was so miserable.

I love it here though :)

• Advertisement

The Romans even decided not to conquer Ireland because it was so miserable.

I love it here though :)

I gather Hitler had similar reactions...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Graces7 wrote: »

His sister in law was from Dublin...maybe she put in a nice word, weather here was certainly better than Russia's weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭howlinwolf

regarding the possible storm around the 7th/8th. it seems the track has changed on the models at the moment, its now showing the deep low tracking more southerly to southern England and northern france. Will probably change again on the models as the days pass but its safe to say we will see some rain from it whichever track it takes.....at least after tomorrow mornings rain passes it seems we will see a little sunshine for a few days...thank god:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

That sounds a bit extreme. Britain and Ireland are ultimately temperate maritime climates so calling them mild isn't exactly new insight. I can only really speak for Eastern and South Eastern England but in an apparently poor summer it was still 20-25C with sunny intervals and average rain 90% of summer. I had lots of time for walking this summer and went on 1-2 hour walks every day, 95% in shorts and a T-shirt from June-September. October was stunning at times too. I don't buy the "eternal Autumn" thing. Seems to apply to Scotland, Ireland, and North West England.

People forget how dry and settled early autumn was. Sept-October were lovely.
    These last two months are the worst two consecutive months I remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Graces7 wrote: »

He had plans drawn up. Unternehmen Grün or Operation Green.

Glad he didn't, as I was here at the time. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,126 ✭✭✭pad199207

I knew it wouldnt take long but Kildare County Council have issued flood warning for towns and villages in Kildare along the Liffey as the ESB is planning to increase the water through Poulaphuca Dam!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

MET eireann' long range forecast is talking about a respite on Monday through Wednesday. All of those days will be rainy but it won't be all day rain but rather showers (some locally heavy).

That's the modern "respite".

We'll have to have an impromptu public holiday the next day the entire country has a full dry day.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,140 ✭✭✭✭km79

ANOTHER rainfall warning for cork and kerry
    25-40mm from midnight tonight till midnight Sunday
    highest over mountains

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

pad199207 wrote: »
    I knew it wouldnt take long but Kildare County Council have issued flood warning for towns and villages in Kildare along the Liffey as the ESB is planning to increase the water through Poulaphuca Dam!
    Not surprised, was over at the lakes this morning and they are overflowing big time, as you drive into Blessington from Hollywood there is a large body of water on the left hand side of the road, never seen that volume of water in there before. 8 weeks or so ago the lakes were actually quite low. Where is most likely to flood though? Ballymore and Kilcullen are reasonably higher than the Liffey, Newbridge maybe opposite the library? Not sure about towns further along.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Not surprised, was over at the lakes this morning and they are overflowing big time, as you drive into Blessington from Hollywood there is a large body of water on the left hand side of the road, never seen that volume of water in there before. 8 weeks or so ago the lakes were actually quite low. Where is most likely to flood though? Ballymore and Kilcullen are reasonably higher than the Liffey, Newbridge maybe opposite the library? Not sure about towns further along.
    Strawberry beds for sure. Liffey level around leixlip not to bad. Yet

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement