Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Weather 2015/16 : See Mod Note Post #1

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Looks like the year will end without snow for me anyway, Happy New Year folks!

same here not a flake to be seen this side of winter. Haven't seen a white frost on the ground during daylight this winter either!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

B17G wrote: »
    Snow on the top of Croagh Patrick today.

Beautiful. I might give it a go before Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Currently -17c here in Southern Poland! But no snow either!

We seem to be under constant high pressure all year round. High pressure to our south spring, summer and autumn, which sucks up hot air from the south. Now we are stuck in high pressure to our north east sucking down cold siberian air.......Please, please, please some Low pressure from somewhere to give some snow or rain!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

A chill, still quiet calm opening for 2016 up here in the South Kerry mountains 400 asl ... waiting for dawn to see the glory that will be atop here.... May the day be a quiet one...time to breathe...and then the rain comes again.. time to hibernate with 2 hwbs and a good book and knitting...oh and a good roast dinner to cook later.. HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

8 hours into the new year and still no depressingly awful looking chart from Maq, its a good start to the year already :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Gonzo wrote: »
    same here not a flake to be seen this side of winter. Haven't seen a white frost on the ground during daylight this winter either!.

Christmas eve we got some wet snow here in north meath that settled for about 30mins until it melted in the field and then flooded my lawns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Ditto and its raining already here today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Hodson Bay gauge on south lough ree is now 1cm below 2009 level, Athlone weir is 4cm below 2009.

Looks like the lake could set a new record today and Athlone weir sometime over the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

It's raining nicely here in Cork City now and the wind is picking up with a few sporadic strong gusts.

The words of the Sinatra song spring to mind......"yes, there were a few, but then again, too few to mention" :)

Monthly rain total here stands at 237.2mm (and there are some cold showers still about). Not much compared with many areas - but still over 300% of average.

Interesting. I traded outdoors once a week all September and October and never got blown about. It was exceptional and we noted it then and were grateful.

• Advertisement

snubbleste wrote: »
    Wha? There were loads of calm sunny days in September/October

Yep!

sryanbruen wrote: »
    So there was in April... but think of all the windy days in

January, March, May, June, July, August, November and December - beats them months...

Interesting perceptions. This year I lost very few trading days to weather so at least one good dry calm day a week most of the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭Redbishop

Graces7 wrote: »
    Interesting perceptions. This year I lost very few trading days to weather so at least one good dry calm day a week most of the year.

Well done. This year so far I lost a few hours to sleep and the bit of a waking hour so far to trying to cure a hangover, its not working so far, but onwards and upwards.
    Happy new year me arse.

Redbishop wrote: »
    Well done. This year so far I lost a few hours to sleep and the bit of a waking hour so far to trying to cure a hangover, its not working so far, but onwards and upwards.
    Happy new year me arse.

Think they call that an SIW! No sympathy here. Happy New Year! 365 days to get better ( Leap Year)

As wild a day as any has been and cold. The task today is getting and staying warm with the wild gale and hammering rain seeming to invade. Even the dog is in the house today.. off to light the fire and switch the oven on and fill hwbs SHIVER!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Shannonbridge gauge is now at 5.50m. The record level set in 2009 was 5.55m.

Very close now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Low over Ireland tomorrow morning and Sundays system cueing up behind it ( I see Sundays low forecast to go down to 967 hPa but Isobars
    not tight, unravels if anything as it stalls over Ireland.

KXfN39J.png

michael-fish-2.jpg
    Michael Fish ‏@fish4weather

GFS produces a viscous storm for next Thursday. It's a long way off but needs watching. No sign of 'real' winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

For the first time this season, I have recorded me first snowfall - mixed with the rain today

• Registered Users Posts: 18,134 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

sryanbruen wrote: »
    For the first time this season, I have recorded me first snowfall - mixed with the rain today

Sleet? Or snow followed by rain?

• Advertisement

Carnacalla wrote: »
    snow followed by rain?

Rain followed by snow actually

• Registered Users Posts: 6,065 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

... charts from very strong El Nino years (82-3, 97-8) ......

ECM1-240.GIF?25-0
    Rrea00119830115.gif

posted 25/11,
    I think the Atlantic will quieten down in maybe a couple of weeks and this is what we will be looking at after that.
    I saw today that Fergie on NW mentioned strong HP to the SW later in Jan. :mad:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

ddint get to see a single flake of snow during November-December 2015, hopefully will see something before the end of this incredibly mild, wet and stormy winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭horsefarm

The rainfall radar is completely wrong today, how is that possible?! It shows Dublin as pretty much clear and it's a complete washout here. Is it dry everywhere else in Diblin and just pissing in the Mountains?

Rain

Rainfall for the month of December has broken previous December records at many of our stations and has been between two and a half and three times the average countrywide with flooding problems in many areas. Over the past week there was 5 times the normal rainfall in parts of south Munster and Leinster. For the week ahead more wet spells are expected, with yet another seven days of above normal totals, especially in the coastal counties of the south and west and possibly 1.5 to twice the normal in some areas here.

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/farm-commentary.asp

ddint get to see a single flake of snow during November-December 2015, hopefully will see something before the end of this incredibly mild, wet and stormy winter.

And hopefully not March like 2013!

I am sick and tired of storms. At least be winter storms with heavy snowfall, then I would be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭flutered

horsefarm wrote: »
    The rainfall radar is completely wrong today, how is that possible?! It shows Dublin as pretty much clear and it's a complete washout here. Is it dry everywhere else in Diblin and just pissing in the Mountains?

they are giving nothing for county limerick, they are oh so very wrong, since roughly 11am the rain is lashing, driven by strong winds, are they going back to the ballymagash type forecasting

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭flutered

the galtees had a white cap yesterday morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Calibos

horsefarm wrote: »

After looking at the RainToday page I came to post almost the exact same thing. Hasn't stopped bucketing down in Bray all day.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement