Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread IV

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭b.gud

It's the perfect arena for John Hayes to make his rugby comeback at 43.

A double header would certainly encourage more to travel over.

He has already started getting ready for his triumphant come back

https://twitter.com/mikem7373/status/623572861924605952

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,808 ✭✭✭✭bilston

The only thing you have to consider is whether we want a repeat of the RWC final so soon?

bilston wrote: »
    The only thing you have to consider is whether we want a repeat of the RWC final so soon?

Well I'm sure NZ will want a chance at revenge and it would be a good way to celebrate Joe signing on until 2023 (source: Irish Independent)

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭colster

Healy was training today.

http://www.sportsfile.com/id/1034328/

colster wrote: »
    Healy was training today.

http://www.sportsfile.com/id/1034328/

This looks like a closed fist to me

cian-healy-and-marty-moore-630x401.jpg

I saw Healy out on the beer last weekend. There was never any doubt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

b.gud wrote: »

Or, maybe it was he can't open his fist? :confused:

:pac:

.ak wrote: »
    Or, maybe it was he can't open his fist? :confused:

:pac:

Ya maybe the surgeon wanted to make him more intimidating looking for opposition teams so he decided to give him a permanent fist :)

b.gud wrote: »

He isn't trying to avoid Marty Moore, he is just stuck in that posture. It's called a Semi Bushwhacker in WWE circles.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

andymx11 wrote: »
    Yea I have no issues with it being shown on BBC NI. Starting to panic now! I wish Sky or RTE would just announce they they have the rights!!!

Unfortunately it now looks like the only Irish coverage will be a one hour highlights show on Saturday at 8:00pm on RTÉ Two. I am not sure why RTE and/or BBC NI are not picking up the live rights when they are available, but there you go. Maybe the WRU are asking for a price that RTÉ aren't willing to pay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,885 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Have a bad feeling we are going to struggle in these warm up games like 2007.

If we don't do well In this World Cup we will never do well

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

PTH2009 wrote: »

2011 was just as bad. 1999 was poor enough too when Munster beat Ireland and Ulster came close. Would read very little into the warm ups, generally, given teams are normally trying out different selections and players are minding themselves.

We normally do poorly as we often don't have great depth so when we try out different players, we struggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 shookie

icdg wrote: »
    Unfortunately it now looks like the only Irish coverage will be a one hour highlights show on Saturday at 8:00pm on RTÉ Two. I am not sure why RTE and/or BBC NI are not picking up the live rights when they are available, but there you go. Maybe the WRU are asking for a price that RTÉ aren't willing to pay.

TV3 are showing all 48 games

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Leinstertomas

shookie wrote:
    TV3 are showing all 48 games

This is a warm up game. Not part of tournament.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Maybe they're not bothered showing warmup games for a tournament to which they don't have the rights? Maybe they don't want to hype up the coverage of a rival station?

It says a lot about TV3 that it occurred to no one that they might have had coverage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Good old TV3 !

Warm up game or not, this is a full international Test match for which caps are being awarded and no station officially broadcasting in Ireland, Northern or Republic, is showing it live. The team is Ireland, not Ireland XV or Wolfhounds. It's an extraordinary situation - even the 2011 match v Scotland, which RTE didn't show despite the rights being available, was shown by BBC NI.

Have a bad feeling we are going to struggle in these warm up games

I don't think we will at all. We don't win every game, but since Schmidt took over we have only really given any kind of soft win to Australia in that first game.

Our players are good and our basics are exceptional so no one is going to run over us.

What we may see at worst is performances like the USA tour and the Argentina tour where we maybe weren't the most clinical at times but I think we will be plenty competitive and won't be giving away any unpleasant winning margins.

I think we will win 3 out of 4 and I actually expect that last game in Twikenham to be more or less a test match for both teams unless the coaches are happy with conditioning, fitness and tactics and decide to have a slightly softer run in.

I expect that in our first two games we will rack up low scores during the first half and then decimate the teams in the second half. I think we will have one of our largest ever victories over Italy and then scrape passed France in a tense encounter.

We will beat Argentina and coast out the last 20 minutes and then put England out in the semi Finals in a game that will have a 1000 articles afterwards criticising the ref's decisions.

We will then face NZ in the final and sh1t will get real.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Hmm... I sense a pattern in your posts...
    England have this in the bag. They will run away it in the second half. At least we lost the title with pride
    Championship is over now. Wales have it won now
    We don't have to worry about getting the cup we won't beat Scotland or else we will scrape past them
    i think we will finish 3rd play bad in the summer internationals and have a crap World Cup

Ireland always let u down when things are going well. We can't win the championship (England will have a field day today and against France), Wales will hammer Italy

It will be hard to get out of our group in the World Cup
    Wales by 3 In a close affair

Sexton will be ruled out before the game

Ireland will score no try's

Please God I'm wrong but can't see anything but a Welsh win
    Have a bad feeling about this match. I can see Italy winning by 3 points. There good at home but please god I'm wrong and we hammer them

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Hmm... I sense a pattern in your posts...

Yikes that nearly put a downer on my entire bank holiday weekend!!! :D

• Advertisement

Brendan Fanning in the Indo today was suggesting that a few of the 41 man squad will be told they are not required for the 4 warm up games this week. Whether that will be announced or not I don't know but we will get an idea after the first two games as to who has and hasn't played.

I see also that the Millenium Stadium is sold out for this game...and no broadcaster in the land of the dominant team in Europe of the last two years could be bothered to show the game live. What a joke.

I guess when the Rugby and the GAA seasons collide you get a real picture of where Rugby actually sits in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

I wonder how much it would have cost RTE to purchase the rights to what is essentially a friendly game, and the fact they aren't showing the world cup, no onus on them really to spend any money for the privilege

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭penybont exile

I don't think we will at all. We don't win every game, but since Schmidt took over we have only really given any kind of soft win to Australia in that first game.

Our players are good and our basics are exceptional so no one is going to run over us.

What we may see at worst is performances like the USA tour and the Argentina tour where we maybe weren't the most clinical at times but I think we will be plenty competitive and won't be giving away any unpleasant winning margins.

I think we will win 3 out of 4 and I actually expect that last game in Twikenham to be more or less a test match for both teams unless the coaches are happy with conditioning, fitness and tactics and decide to have a slightly softer run in.

I expect that in our first two games we will rack up low scores during the first half and then decimate the teams in the second half. I think we will have one of our largest ever victories over Italy and then scrape passed France in a tense encounter.

We will beat Argentina and coast out the last 20 minutes and then put England out in the semi Finals in a game that will have a 1000 articles afterwards criticising the ref's decisions.

We will then face NZ in the final and sh1t will get real.
    It's good to dream I guess .......

Brendan Fanning in the Indo today was suggesting that a few of the 41 man squad will be told they are not required for the 4 warm up games this week. Whether that will be announced or not I don't know but we will get an idea after the first two games as to who has and hasn't played.

Peter O'Reilly in the ST reckons a couple of guys have already been told they won't feature and a few more will be cut after the Scotland game.

So by the time we play Wales at home, we could be down to 35 players remaining.

Taking a stab at it, if Herring, Conan, Marmion, Reid and D'arcy don't feature next weekend, it's curtains for them.

It's also looking like Bent will go as one of five props, so bad news for Furlong and Kilcoyne, but he might still get lucky with Healy's injury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭smiley_face

It was a 45-man squad, then Buckley and White joined to make it 47.
    Assuming those 2 have been told they won't feature,
    And assuming these players that are on the fringe similarly will not feature: Furlong, Herring, Conan, Marmion, Reid,
    Squad would then be down to 40.
    The biggest headache will be deciding who to cut out of the backs.
    IMHO the next few to go after that would most likely be T O'Donnell, D'Arcy, Cave, D Kearney, Gilroy.
    That would bring it down to 35.
    The last few decisions will prob be:
    Healy if fit, else Kilcoyne
    Ryan or Tuohy
    Earls or McFadden
    Trimble or Jones

Of course, it's speculative to make any predictions this early on.

Just read this, stating we should take 9 front row forwards, that would make it very hard to decide what other player to cut elsewhere.
    Perhaps 2 of Zebo, Jones and Trimble will both be dropped to make space for the extra prop.
    http://www.balls.ie/rugby/ireland-rwc-squad-battles/298345

It's good to dream I guess .......

It certainly is!

That said - it's not like this is out of the realm of possibility at all. We've beaten France the last two times out, same with Italy and we just won twice in a row in Argentina last summer.

There is no reason why a semi is dreaming. After that, yeah - it's pure knock out rugby and anything can happen.

I'm trying not to think too much about it, I'll end up being too nervous by the time the tournament comes around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,546 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I'm looking at these games from behind my fingers, who's going to pick up season/ career ending injuries this time out?

I'm looking at these games from behind my fingers, who's going to pick up season/ career ending injuries this time out?

Well it's a worry. We are effectively playing for a mini Triple Crown here plus playing Wales again. In any given 6Ns you'd expect a couple of injuries, there is little reason to think this will be any different even if the games are a little bit below the same intensity. Even then I don't really know how you can play below full intensity in these games anyway. I mean England at Twickenham at the end of the warm ups is going to be full on I would think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Well it's a worry. We are effectively playing for a mini Triple Crown here plus playing Wales again. In any given 6Ns you'd expect a couple of injuries, there is little reason to think this will be any different even if the games are a little bit below the same intensity. Even then I don't really know how you can play below full intensity in these games anyway. I mean England at Twickenham at the end of the warm ups is going to be full on I would think.

Not sure I agree, these warmup games are rarely at full intensity, remember Ireland-France in 2011?

I think we could see a pattern a bit like the NFL's pre-season where you get very little intensity in 3/4 games but 1 game which is pretty full on. That game would be the 3rd game, IE the one against Wales in the Aviva. Then rest the key guys the next week in Twickenham.

Not sure I agree, these warmup games are rarely at full intensity, remember Ireland-France in 2011?

I think we could see a pattern a bit like the NFL's pre-season where you get very little intensity in 3/4 games but 1 game which is pretty full on. That game would be the 3rd game, IE the one against Wales in the Aviva. Then rest the key guys the next week in Twickenham.

Well maybe the fact I don't remember the Ireland France game in 2011 suggests your right about the intensity.

However in 2003 we lost Geordan Murphy, in 2007 we nearly lost BOD and in 2011 we lost David Wallace so there is a definite danger there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭smiley_face

That is possible alright, but I'm hoping they go all out for each of the matches, I mean in intensity but not with only the 1st choice players for every match.
    If injuries occur then hopefully it will be to a fringe player that is getting a run out.
    Would love to see some variety in selection for the 1st 2 matches at least, Cave and Gilroy for example, as they both deserve to get a chance to play for Ireland, but prob won't make the RWC final squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Well maybe the fact I don't remember the Ireland France game in 2011 suggests your right about the intensity.

However in 2003 we lost Geordan Murphy, in 2007 we nearly lost BOD and in 2011 we lost David Wallace so there is a definite danger there.

I'm pretty sure there were 2 games against France in 2011 so you really missed the boat on that one.

They're a necessary evil, although given our soft initial schedule in the World Cup proper I wonder if Schmidt will use the actual tournament games as warm ups for our important players

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

RTE will have an hours long highlights package on Saturday night of next weeks game.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    RTE will have an hours long highlights package on Saturday night of next weeks game.

That would be an hour with up to 20 minutes of adverts and 15 minutes of analysis. Not really good enough really...albeit not just RTE's fault...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭postitnote

Assuming it'll be on the BBC sport website to stream at least. With not having sky sports I've watched many's an Ulster game in the past like that. Mirror it through the TV and bob's your uncle.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Are the games on sky?

Not the game on Saturday. The other three (the two home games and the away game to England) are. Streaming on the BBC Sport website only an option for NI viewers.

Is BBC Wales not widely and legally available in the Republic?

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭andymx11

Slightly off topic but the Woolshed are showing the Wales Ireland game so I'm sure plenty of other pubs have Sky and therefore the option to add BBC Wales.

I'm not a fan of watching matches in pubs but I think it's the only realistic option for many. Plus, watching New Zealand and Australia will be a nice warm up for the Ireland game!

• Advertisement

Is BBC Wales not widely and legally available in the Republic?

Yes, only via satellite though.

Frequency for BBC Wales HD can be found here btw:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/television/satellite/channels.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Yes, only via satellite though.

Frequency for BBC Wales HD can be found here btw:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/television/satellite/channels.html

So just to clarify, I have Sky - I'll be able to watch the match by accessing BBC Wales through the other channels option?

So just to clarify, I have Sky - I'll be able to watch the match by accessing BBC Wales through the other channels option?

Exactly.

Can you get this channel on UPC?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭alias no.9

andymx11 wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but the Woolshed are showing the Wales Ireland game so I'm sure plenty of other pubs have Sky and therefore the option to add BBC Wales.

I'm not a fan of watching matches in pubs but I think it's the only realistic option for many. Plus, watching New Zealand and Australia will be a nice warm up for the Ireland game!

Anybody receiving their TV by satellite (Sky or FTA) can get it Nice Sticky Here

UPC customers are screwed

Probably even just using the red button, its been a while since I've had a Sky subscription but if BBC Wales or BBC NI vary from default, you can usually navigate with red button, otherwise they're in the 9xx range of channels

• Advertisement

alias no.9 wrote: »
    Anybody receiving their TV by satellite (Sky or FTA) can get it Nice Sticky Here

Well that's annoying.

Probably even just using the red button, its been a while since I've had a Sky subscription but if BBC Wales or BBC NI vary from default, you can usually navigate with red button, otherwise they're in the 9xx range of channels

The other BBC regions in the 900s are not on the Irish EPG - only BBC NI and, only if you have HD, England - for some reason the HD swap in the Republic on Sky is to the English version of BBC One HD while there is no BBC Two NI HD).

The other BBC regions in the 900s are not on the Irish EPG - only BBC NI and, only if you have HD, England - for some reason the HD swap in the Republic on Sky is to the English version of BBC One HD while there is no BBC Two NI HD).

It's been a while and I've used boxes with Irish and UK EPGs, my memory is a bit hazey, thanks for clarifying.

Can you still get the UK EPG by powering down, removing the card and powering back up? Otherwise it's a case of manual tuning, but it should be available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

It's been a while and I've used boxes with Irish and UK EPGs, my memory is a bit hazey, thanks for clarifying.

Can you still get the UK EPG by powering down, removing the card and powering back up? Otherwise it's a case of manual tuning, but it should be available.

Manual tuning is fairly straighforward, and you only have to do it once - once you have found your channel, you store it in 'Other Channels'.

I'm going to be away for the weekend, and am hoping I can find it on the freeview box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

So what's firkin new.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement