Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mart Price Tracker

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

ruwithme wrote: »
    Will there be a rise in prices ringside next week with the pension dollars back on the premises? & at least one shot in most arms to boot.

I wouldn't think so tbh, most lad's have the quota filled as regards stocking units, grass isn't that flush throughout the country and the weather shows little sign of improving in the short term. Weanlings and lighter stores were dearer a month ago for the same reasons as above, granted cow's and forward stores/beef cattle are a good trade but that has a different set of factors. The online system is here 12 month's at this stage and most have adapted to it to whatever degree is possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Westernrock

Base price wrote: »
    Are you fookin serious.
    God help the poor calves :mad:

The younger the better!! Legally they have to be disbudded under 28days if using anaesthetic or under 15 if not using anaesthetic. Ideally anaesthetic should always be used, I doubt too many would go to get a tooth pulled/filled without the local. I’ve seen calves disbudded and tagged at 2/3days go straight back sucking the cow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

The younger the better!! Legally they have to be disbudded under 28days if using anaesthetic or under 15 if not using anaesthetic. Ideally anaesthetic should always be used, I doubt too many would go to get a tooth pulled/filled without the local. I’ve seen calves disbudded and tagged at 2/3days go straight back sucking the cow.

What would 280kg fresian bullocks have been making last autumn?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,165 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

MIKEKC wrote: »
    What would 280kg fresian bullocks have been making last autumn?

350? At a guess. You still buy them for around 450 euro may e even less now

Slava Ukrainii

350? At a guess. You still buy them for around 450 euro may e even less now

Was trying to work out whether to buy 280 kg in October or 330-340 kg in spring. The 340 kg were scarce this spring and costing e250 eight their weight. Have space in shed and enough silage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭T0001

Was trying to work out whether to buy 280 kg in October or 330-340 kg in spring. The 340 kg were scarce this spring and costing e250 eight their weight. Have space in shed and enough silage

Depending on quality they were making about €1.50/kg for O= grades. I suppose work out from there. At the price you say in the spring they work out at €1.73/kg.

I don't think it'd pay to feed them over winter. Cost the same roughly per bullock regardless of breed (roughly). If you've surplus silage I'd work out the money you'd make selling it and the money you'd save by buying the bullocks in Autumn over March and see which is greater.

T0001 wrote: »
    Depending on quality they were making about €1.50/kg for O= grades. I suppose work out from there. At the price you say in the spring they work out at €1.73/kg.

I don't think it'd pay to feed them over winter. Cost the same roughly per bullock regardless of breed (roughly). If you've surplus silage I'd work out the money you'd make selling it and the money you'd save by buying the bullocks in Autumn over March and see which is greater.

The only thing is if you are good to put weight on cattle you will find it hard to buy them sort of yearlings.

If you bought a decent Fr bull in early September at about 250 kgs at 320-350 euro. He could be tipping 400 kgs as a bullock by late April. 150 euro would carry them a lot of the way to there. For 500 euro you would have a flaking yearling. It's all depends on what you intend doing with them. I be disappointed if I was not hanging them at over 350 kgs DW at 27-29 months.

Slava Ukrainii

With silage costing e20 a bale and selling for e25 I don't feel that would alter the figure much.I am trying to work out if it is worth the trouble of wintering.The fact that I have the shed space and silage may make it viable. The cost of the autumn bought weanling plus the cost of feeding would need to be about e50 less than the cost of the weanling in spring to be worth the trouble

The only thing is if you are good to put weight on cattle you will find it hard to buy them sort of yearlings.

If you bought a decent Fr bull in early September at about 250 kgs at 320-350 euro. He could be tipping 400 kgs as a bullock by late April. 150 euro would carry them a lot of the way to there. For 500 euro you would have a flaking yearling. It's all depends on what you intend doing with them. I be disappointed if I was not hanging them at over 350 kgs DW at 27-29 months.

To put on 150kg over that time would be good going considering most of the time would be winter.I presume feeding silage and 1kg meal. If this figure could be achieved it would certainly be viable considering 340kg were costing e590 this spring.Currently ours would be about 31months! to get 350kg DW.8

With silage costing e20 a bale and selling for e25 I don't feel that would alter the figure much.I am trying to work out if it is worth the trouble of wintering.The fact that I have the shed space and silage may make it viable. The cost of the autumn bought weanling plus the cost of feeding would need to be about e50 less than the cost of the weanling in spring to be worth the trouble

not to be smart but maybe give it a go and see how it works out! Sometimes I find the best way to know is to just do it. If it works do it again, if not move on to something else! Let us know what you do anyways and how it goes.

• Advertisement

not to be smart but maybe give it a go and see how it works out! Sometimes I find the best way to know is to just do it. If it works do it again, if not move on to something else! Let us know what you do anyways and how it goes.

Yes one sure way to find out. Just like to get other opinions. Some people must have made the comparison

To put on 150kg over that time would be good going considering most of the time would be winter.I presume feeding silage and 1kg meal. If this figure could be achieved it would certainly be viable considering 340kg were costing e590 this spring.Currently ours would be about 31months! to get 350kg DW.8

It would be fair clipping all right. But it is doable. When I say early September I mean the first week not the 15th. Friesians if done right will put weight on as fast as Continentals provided they are good middle of the road Friesian's. You need to keep grass into them from the day they come in until the day they are housed. No outside in a bare paddock for November and half of December. On Autumn grass they will need 6-700 grams of a fairly decent ration and be moved every 3-4 days. They will need minerals as well on top of the ration. When housed they will need silage that is over 70 DM and 70 DMD. On that and a kg of ration and minerals they will keep gaining weight. In early February you pull the ration and aim for turnout in Mid March.

On turnout you will need to keep grass ahead of them until end of April to achieve that weight gain. The weight gain is not as huge as you think. Assuming the bulls are 250 at purchase and as I said tipping 400 kgs. That would be a gain of 130-140 kgs in 220-230 days or a bit over 0.6-0.65kgs/ day

Slava Ukrainii

It would be fair clipping all right. But it is doable. When I say early September I mean the first week not the 15th. Friesians if done right will put weight on as fast as Continentals provided they are good middle of the road Friesian's. You need to keep grass into them from the day they come in until the day they are housed. No outside in a bare paddock for November and half of December. On Autumn grass they will need 6-700 grams of a fairly decent ration and be moved every 3-4 days. They will need minerals as well on top of the ration. When housed they will need silage that is over 70 DM and 70 DMD. On that and a kg of ration and minerals they will keep gaining weight. In early February you pull the ration and aim for turnout in Mid March.

On turnout you will need to keep grass ahead of them until end of April to achieve that weight gain. The weight gain is not as huge as you think. Assuming the bulls are 250 at purchase and as I said tipping 400 kgs. That would be a gain of 130-140 kgs in 220-230 days or a bit over 0.6-0.65kgs/ day

It would be excellent if that could be achieved. Gaining .8kg after that should be over 525kg going into shed. Should be able to achieve the 350 kg DW you get at 30 months. Will try some this year. Thanks for your figures definitely worth a try

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

So did anybody get their mart fix yesterday?

So did anybody get their mart fix yesterday?

It was strange to see men standing around the ringside but cattle were no dearer because of it imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭White Clover

It was strange to see men standing around the ringside but cattle were no dearer because of it imo.

If anything, it'd cause the price to drop when the dividing up starts again !

I don't subscribe to that theory tbh. The man that's buying reckon the dealer's poll him while the seller's think the same dealer's keep down the price so who's right?

There's a 2 tier trade for stock atm, beef cattle, fleshed cow's and forward store's are in short supply and therefore are a good trade and are increasing in price week on week. This has happened again this week and would have done so regardless of where the buyer's happened to be standing. Conversely weanlings and ligher store's are probably €50-100 less than a month ago due to the stocking quota for the scheme being filled and the abysmal grass growth. None of the above factors are going to be negated simply because you're around the ring this week compared to sitting at home, in the jeep or lorry ect this day last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,524 ✭✭✭straight

Hopefully the online system will save us.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,364 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

2 FR bullocks for the mart Thursday. Roughly 400kgs. Hoping for around the €600 mark. Good shape bullocks at 16 mths.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Reggie. wrote: »
    2 FR bullocks for the mart Thursday. Roughly 400kgs. Hoping for around the €600 mark. Good shape bullocks at 16 mths.

Is that a hint for bass to be there to buy them!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭High bike

650 to 680 if they're nice

Dunedin wrote: »
    Is that a hint for bass to be there to buy them!!

I out at 575, mart fees and transport will bring them to 600 euro

If they were good I definitely be there at 650 anymore than grass is a disastrous this year. They be 550 kgs at housing and 600 going to grass next year

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Tip over to reggie in the morning and buy them for €580 in the yard - everyone’s a winner and save him from the canteen in (TM) mart too......

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Welding Rod

I weighed 3 red lim heifers 20 March, on their way out of shed to grass. March/April 2019 DOB. They got no meal in the shed second winter. Average weight 565kgs when I let them out.
    Plan weighing them again this Saturday, with the intention of getting them to the mart in the next two weeks.
    Anyone hazzard a guess at their weight now, and what they are likely to make in the mart? Nice type of stock. AI bred.

I weighed 3 red lim heifers 20 March, on their way out of shed to grass. March/April 2019 DOB. They got no meal in the shed second winter. Average weight 565kgs when I let them out.
    Plan weighing them again this Saturday, with the intention of getting them to the mart in the next two weeks.
    Anyone hazzard a guess at their weight now, and what they are likely to make in the mart? Nice type of stock. AI bred.

640 kgs

Slava Ukrainii

If they were good I definitely be there at 650 anymore than grass is a disastrous this year. They be 550 kgs at housing and 600 going to grass next year

Be interesting to see how they go. Not really a cattle man myself but they have a fair back on them tbf. Only im shook for grass id hold onto them. I'd say by the backend they will be a fair size

• Registered Users Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Will you put up the mart and the lot number on Thursday.

Jb1989 wrote: »
    Will you put up the mart and the lot number on Thursday.

And prove how bad a cattleman i am. Not a hope :D bloody cattle will probably hit the ring at 300kg

What mart is it?

• Advertisement

What mart is it?

Delvin

Advertisement