Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mart Price Tracker

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

Reggie. wrote: »
    Delvin

We’ll press a few buttons for ya lad

• Registered Users Posts: 24,369 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Sacrolyte wrote: »
    We’ll press a few buttons for ya lad

I'll be worth a fortune :D

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭T0001

I forgot how much I enjoyed hearing the dealers in the box telling the auctioneer what price to rise their cattle to and seeing them getting no other bids �� been keeping track here on the local mart of prices and non dealer stock averaging €2.31/kg and dealer cattle averaging €2.60/kg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

T0001 wrote: »
    I forgot how much I enjoyed hearing the dealers in the box telling the auctioneer what price to rise their cattle to and seeing them getting no other bids �� been keeping track here on the local mart of prices and non dealer stock averaging €2.31/kg and dealer cattle averaging €2.60/kg
    It would appear that even with names on board people don't know the dealers cattle

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭josephsoap

T0001 wrote: »

Perhaps they end up still end up taking the cattle home with them @ €2.60/KG when it doesn’t work out for them 😊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Jim Simmental

I have a lame/injured cow here that got hurt on the slats and subsequently ended up aborting her calf a few weeks ago.

Her withdrawal period is up this week after being treated by vet.

She still has a limp in her walk - could you take a injured/lame cow to the mart ? She is LMX cow 4 year old about 650kilos I’d imagine.

Or would I be better off taking her directly to factory ?

Just a wee update, my cow above has been almost 2 months at grass now - she has fleshed up well but is still limping / not walking right , she must have damaged her shoulder joint area.

I think I will take her directly to the factory in 2 to 3 weeks, I have never taken cattle myself before to the factory and just have a few questions.

Is the still FCI (food chain information) form still required?

Is pre booking a requirement?

Do you just back into the lairage, drop your ramp hand over the passport and mosey on your way home ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Just a wee update, my cow above has been almost 2 months at grass now - she has fleshed up well but is still limping / not walking right , she must have damaged her shoulder joint area.

I think I will take her directly to the factory in 2 to 3 weeks, I have never taken cattle myself before to the factory and just have a few questions.

Do you just back into the lairage, drop your ramp hand over the passport and mosey on your way home ?

If you want to get any sort of price ring an agent or the procurement manager in the factory. Preferably an agent. So e processor's require Cattle to be pre booked over the winter.

Ya the FCI doc still has to be filled it. You can fill that in at the factory.

After that you just pull up the se uriry man at the gate will get you to fill out a COVID form and then it's off down to the lairage. You just reverse up to the unloading pen and off load when the lad there lets you. Hand over the FCI and the card and away you go. Ring the afternoon/evening to find out how she graded and what was the DW and cheque will arrive 2-3 days later

However at present cows are doing better in mart than factory

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Jim Simmental

If you want to get any sort of price ring an agent or the procurement manager in the factory. Preferably an agent. So e processor's require Cattle to be pre booked over the winter.

Ya the FCI doc still has to be filled it. You can fill that in at the factory.

After that you just pull up the se uriry man at the gate will get you to fill out a COVID form and then it's off down to the lairage. You just reverse up to the unloading pen and off load when the lad there lets you. Hand over the FCI and the card and away you go. Ring the afternoon/evening to find out how she graded and what was the DW and cheque will arrive 2-3 days later

However at present cows are doing better in mart than factory

BR thanks for that info it’s very much appreciated

Yes generally the mart is the place to off load them - just with her having a bad limp, a long day at mart she could be well shook by the time she gets to ring - that’s why I was thinking of taking her directly to factory - probably more on welfare grounds more so.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭tanko

Book her in through the best local factory agent you can find in the area, better chance of them getting a decent price hopefully. Your vet might be able to recommend a good agent.

You will have to fill in a basic enough form at the lairaige office when leaving the blue card in.
    Make sure to write on the form that no EIF levy is to be deducted from your cheque.

BR thanks for that info it’s very much appreciated

Yes generally the mart is the place to off load them - just with her having a bad limp, a long day at mart she could be well shook by the time she gets to ring - that’s why I was thinking of taking her directly to factory - probably more on welfare grounds more so.

In general cows are sold first at marts. In some marts cows would only be in a pen 1-2 hours. However if the limp is very bad she will probably do better in the factory

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Charolois 19

I sold a weanling bull last year who had a limp, I sold him off done deal, thought the mart i would be killed price wise on him walking in with the limp, since the online bidding started ive seen a few where its announced 'since birth' or 'from a hurt' my buck fell.in the yard as far as I can figure, but anyways long story short I regret not sending him to the mart money wise, but his limp wasn't to bad, you know your animal yourself, and if you thought your cow would be uncomfortable or pained you'd be doing the right thing, buy just giving you my experience of it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Any one buying a lame cow will pay fuk all anyway ,cows are making minimum E3.50/kg if they k/o over 270 kg .It would pay give the cow a shake of ration for the next month

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Omallep2

tanko wrote: »
    Book her in through the best local factory agent you can find in the area, better chance of them getting a decent price hopefully. Your vet might be able to recommend a good agent.

You will have to fill in a basic enough form at the lairaige office when leaving the blue card in.
    Make sure to write on the form that no EIF levy is to be deducted from your cheque.
    What's the RIF levy worth?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Best luck to reggie and bass on the transaction of two black and white ones.

Jb1989 wrote: »
    Best luck to reggie and bass on the transaction of two black and white ones.

Cheers lad. Just waiting on my lot number

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Dunedin

The nation holds its breath.......

312?

312?

Bang on. Just got there myself

How did you figure that out before me ya swine

Dunedin wrote: »
    The nation holds its breath.......

Now if that's the height of excitement today god help the nation

Now if that's the height of excitement today god help the nation

Tis nearly gone that low tbf. Anything to give a bit of a lift.

• Advertisement

Tis nearly gone that low tbf. Anything to give a bit of a lift.

If I crash and burn here there will be some sneer. Small sale there today tho

413kg €600. Wasnt too far off the weight

Announced as bulls tho not bullocks dont know if that hurt the price

If I crash and burn here there will be some sneer. Small sale there today tho

I just hope the dealers don’t poll them too much on Bass.

I just hope the dealers don’t poll them too much on Bass.

Bass was on the money

Bass was on the money

Which the 575 or the 650 euro.

Slava Ukrainii

Which the 575 or the 650 euro.

Take the win will ya.....fecking farmers

Bang on. Just got there myself

How did you figure that out before me ya swine

I was scrolling the catalogue and picked out the 2 fresians with with lots together, you were close with the weights.
    Well done.

I was scrolling the catalogue and picked out the 2 fresians with with lots together, you were close with the weights.
    Well done.

Wasn't too far off. They made just enough to make ya keep going

Take the win will ya.....fecking farmers

Twas the 575 so they were real value at that if they were any way square

See what happen when the Bass's of this world are short of grass nobody else here to drive the robbing dealers

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

Twas the 575 so they were real value at that if they were any way square

See what happen when the Bass's of this world are short of grass nobody else here to drive the robbing dealers

Sold at the right time so

Advertisement