Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2019 All Ireland Senior Football Championship *Mod note: Post #1*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Lads it’s not criticism- saying that we agree with the decisions made by our selectors based on a large sample set of matches that we have seen is not criticism.

Everyone agrees that he’s a good player

You mightn't call it criticism, but you are undermining his quality by saying that he currently wouldn't and shouldn't make the Kerry panel. That there are better players than Cox who can't make the Kerry panel.
    Take the Green and Gold tinted glasses off for just one minute - theoretically, if you had the choice to swap Cox for Jamsie O'Donoghue for just this season, would you do it?
    I saw someone comparing Cox to Brian Reape earlier. Don't know where that came from. Brian Reape is bit like Conor Loftus - blows hot and cold - more cold than hot. Neither have pace or proper strength that Cox has. Cox reminds me of Brian Hurley from Cork. Has most of the ingredients needed to be an effective inside forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

MfMan wrote: »
    In other words, they could be playing in CP twice?

No. Their neutral venue match will be Dublin at Croke Park (second game) and they will have to travel to one of the round 4 qualifiers in third game.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭White lighting

harpsman wrote: »
    There’s a different level of pressure playing with Kerry than Roscommon. It’s like a striker being brilliant at a mid table club but not being able to do it at a top club. Or a club player who is the best player at his club and is the first man outfield players look for when kicking the ball in. Then on the county team he’s not the best forward and is not getting as much ball in to him. I think that puts added pressure when he does get the ball. He’s the best full forward that Roscommon have and probably knows he can miss a few and not worry about being taken off or dropped. Just my opinion

Its not as if Kerrys sub forwards are top class. I would say Roscommon Donie Smith and Andy Glennon are every bit as good as what Kerry have to bring off the bench. Roscommons problem have not been their forwards last few years.
    And i get why Kerry folk say he wasnt loss last few years and Mark O'Se said nobody was that bothered but they should be now.Its fact he has been the stand out "Kerry" forward in 2019.
    Clifford has been injured most league so Cox has proformed to a level above that. Geaney is only starting on reputation as his form is not what it should be. O'Donohue is not the player he was. Killiane spillane is Muck and wouldnt make most county panels has to be only on it because his surname. O'Brien i dont rate.
    If Kerrys forwards dont improve they will go no further than they did last year. They need to let lose this weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

You mightn't call it criticism, but you are undermining his quality by saying that he currently wouldn't and shouldn't make the Kerry panel. That there are better players than Cox who can't make the Kerry panel.
    Take the Green and Gold tinted glasses off for just one minute - theoretically, if you had the choice to swap Cox for Jamsie O'Donoghue for just this season, would you do it?
    I saw someone comparing Cox to Brian Reape earlier. Don't know where that came from. Brian Reape is bit like Conor Loftus - blows hot and cold - more cold than hot. Neither have pace or proper strength that Cox has. Cox reminds me of Brian Hurley from Cork. Has most of the ingredients needed to be an effective inside forward.

What are you talking about?? He didnt make the Kerry panel, that's why he went to Roscommon.

He wasnt even close - there are no tinted glasses, just factual information

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

DDC1990 wrote:
    . A tight Man Marker or a Quick Corner Back who endeavours to get in front of him will shut him out of the game.
    A bit like Brian Hurley so.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I expect Cork to give Kerry a better game than in recent years, wouldn't be too hard, because they are going quite well in training and challenge games. This has not been the case for several years. They appear a lot fitter now aswell. Only 6 started last years game while there are about 5 making their Munster final debuts. I fully expect Kerry's football ability to kick on in the second half for a comfortable enough win.
    Hopefully Cork perform and make a game of it.

keane2097 wrote:
    Arguably, if Dublin hadn't been financially doped since 2004 they would have six less All-Irelands.
    You've moved away from the lucky and fitter tag you had us at in 2011 and 2013.

On to "they cant do 2 in row"

To this one.

It's good to see you are progressive in your thinking Keane!!!

At some stage you have to talk about football. Rather than any reason that has anything to do with Dublin having better footballers than Kerry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Any reports on what ticket sales have been like?

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭White lighting

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    I expect Cork to give Kerry a better game than in recent years, wouldn't be too hard, because they are going quite well in training and challenge games. This has not been the case for several years. They appear a lot fitter now aswell. Only 6 started last years game while there are about 5 making their Munster final debuts. I fully expect Kerry's football ability to kick on in the second half for a comfortable enough win.
    Hopefully Cork perform and make a game of it.

Cork going well in challenges but you cant read anything into them as there is zero intensity in majority of them.
    Donie Buckley was saying last week that Kerry were training like savages so i fully expect them to be closest to the Dubs this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Stoner wrote: »
    You've moved away from the lucky and fitter tag you had us at in 2011 and 2013.

On to "they cant do 2 in row"

To this one.

It's good to see you are progressive in your thinking Keane!!!

At some stage you have to talk about football. Rather than any reason that has anything to do with Dublin having better footballers than Kerry.

I was just throwing out an idiotic line in response to an idiotic line. I don't actually believe it.

I have certainly not changed my opinion on lucky in '11. Doubt I ever said the only reason Dublin won in '13 was that they were fitter. They were clearly a better team and clearly a better panel. We could have chinned them that day but it would have been a 'puncher's chance' lucky one. I had no hope before that match, no hope at half time, briefly had some hope around 60 mins in and had no complaints after.

Same as '16, we could have snuck it, but would lose 80 times out of a hundred at least.

Dublin are miles better than Kerry and have been since at least the start of 2013 (probably were much better in '12 as well). This team really took off that year I think, the '11 and '12 teams were good, but not special like they have since become.

Godge and his mouth-breather posts are aggravating and I often respond childishly on the rare occasion I don't avoid the forum over him, as in this case. I have no problem saying Dublin are the best team of all time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Cork going well in challenges but you cant read anything into them as there is zero intensity in majority of them.
    Donie Buckley was saying last week that Kerry were training like savages so i fully expect them to be closest to the Dubs this year

In recent years, Cork hadn't really been going well in challenges or training- judging by their lack of fitness. There is a clear difference this year, it wont be enough to win of course, I'm merely hoping it's enough for a performance Cork football supporters can talk about with a bit of pride for a change.
    Kerry always train like savages;)

keane2097 wrote:
    I was just throwing out an idiotic line in response to an idiotic line. I don't actually believe it.

Sound. Good luck against Cork. I don't think you'll need it though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

I've heard that Cork absolutely embarrassed Dublin and that Jim Gavin was furious. All rumours though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Stoner wrote: »
    Sound. Good luck against Cork. I don't think you'll need it though

I'd love to think someone would give ye a good rattle this year but it looks if anything it looks like most of the contenders are going backwards. I thought we were shaping up OK this time last year and it turned out to be a disaster, maybe they'll surprise us in the other direction this year but it's not looking too great.

It would be hard to argue that this Dublin team wouldn't deserve to hit the five. Hopefully if they do it will be with a bit of a bang rather than a whimper from the rest!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

harpsman wrote: »
    There’s a different level of pressure playing with Kerry than Roscommon. It’s like a striker being brilliant at a mid table club but not being able to do it at a top club. Or a club player who is the best player at his club and is the first man outfield players look for when kicking the ball in. Then on the county team he’s not the best forward and is not getting as much ball in to him. I think that puts added pressure when he does get the ball. He’s the best full forward that Roscommon have and probably knows he can miss a few and not worry about being taken off or dropped. Just my opinion

This is it in a nutshell. Even if he moved back to Kerry David Clifford is the main man and Cox would be a peripheral figure. I think it would be short lived. He has found the right environment in Roscommon and is balling, good luck to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Any reports on what ticket sales have been like?

40-45k according to OTB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,226 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

If Cork don't manage to put up some sort of a performance against an injury plagued Kerry panel on Saturday then they need to take a (nother) long look at themselves.

I expect a Kerry win by around 6 points but hopefully it'll be in the melting pot with 10 or 15 minutes to go because the craic of beating Cork is waning these last few years they way the games have gone.

Kerry are not great goal scorers the last two seasons so I think it could end up something like 1-19 to 1-13.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

BPKS wrote: »
    If Cork don't manage to put up some sort of a performance against an injury plagued Kerry panel on Saturday then they need to take a (nother) long look at themselves.

I expect a Kerry win by around 6 points but hopefully it'll be in the melting pot with 10 or 15 minutes to go because the craic of beating Cork is waning these last few years they way the games have gone.

Kerry are not great goal scorers the last two seasons so I think it could end up something like 1-19 to 1-13.

Kerry are ok on the injury front, JOD is the only doubt from what I’ve heard they have almost everyone back.

Cork have some good forwards but were utterly woeful at the back last year and it’s hard to see how the can win this one, stranger things have happened though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Mahony0509 wrote: »
    I've heard that Cork absolutely embarrassed Dublin and that Jim Gavin was furious. All rumours though.

This Cork v Dublin challenge match must have had a crowd of about 500,000 at it, given the numbers of people who seem to know everything about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

ProudDUB wrote: »
    This Cork v Dublin challenge match must have had a crowd of about 500,000 at it, given the numbers of people who seem to know everything about it.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Lol. The only embarrassment coming from Cork are the two codes of Cork GAA.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Lol. The only embarrassment coming from Cork are the two codes of Cork GAA.

Eh? They won the last two Munster hurling championships.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

The cork football mystery intertwines with there barren spells as a footballing super power

Early success in the twentieth century didnt follow through. From my knowledge they won a title in the 1940s 70, late 80s, 90s then 2010. It is a county where football is only played in pockets and this current spell is in line with their fade outs as being compedative. Hurling and rugby win out for most. Even during their dominance in the last decade, the support wasn't to hectic. There underage success was more a less a breeding ground for hurling in the last decade.

I think cork are building again but the days of a team suddenly reemerging as a force are gone. The likes of Dublin Kerry Tyrone mayo are way ahead in strength and conditioning, tactics and footballing ability. Could you really see cork beating Kerry on the evidence of last year.

Cork won Munster under 21 titles in 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2016. In theory there should be an abundance of talent available to Cork management.

2011 Cork beat a strong Kerry outfit by 22 points at under 21 level https://munster.gaa.ie/event/cadbury-munster-under-21-football-championship-final/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

lol this reminds of all the times I heard boxing fans with stories of Mayweather being schooled in sparring

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,117 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Cork won Munster under 21 titles in 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2016. In theory there should be an abundance of talent available to Cork management.

2011 Cork beat a strong Kerry outfit by 22 points at under 21 level https://munster.gaa.ie/event/cadbury-munster-under-21-football-championship-final/

They did but the vast majority of them went with the hurlers after that

They did but the vast majority of them went with the hurlers after that

Some left for hurling but not all.

I remember the 2014 side that played Roscommon in all Ireland semi had a lethal full forward line of Alan Cadogan, Dan MacEoin and Mark Sugrue, they scored 3-11 of Corks 3-12 between them that day. Not heard anything about MacEoin or Sugrue since while obviously Cadogan became top hurler.

Barry O’Driscoll and Donal Óg Hodnett from that 2011 match seemed to have disappeared. Even Collins, Maguire etc standouts at under 21 are in and out of the senior team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,291 ✭✭✭tanko

Is the last round of qualifiers before the super 8's played at neutral venues?

tanko wrote: »
    Is the last round of qualifiers before the super 8's played at neutral venues?

Kildare v Mayo in Newbridge would have been last round before the groups wasn't it? Unless they've changed it this year to neutral but they've written in the 'safety' thing this year so they don't lose any money so they could be anywhere.

Edit - sorry, that was the second last round last year in Newbridge. They were all neutral in round 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

Kildare v Mayo in Newbridge would have been last round before the groups wasn't it? Unless they've changed it this year to neutral but they've written in the 'safety' thing this year so they don't lose any money so they could be anywhere.

Edit - sorry, that was the second last round last year in Newbridge. They were all neutral in round 4.

Round 3

• Advertisement

Cork + 7. Not a bad bet perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Noelmcgov28

Looks like heavy rain tomorrow for the Ulster Final. I think it may provide a scrappy affair which may suit Cavan.

70%-80% chance of rain. I expect it be the same in Croke Park too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,819 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Just checking none of this weekend's qualifiers are on live tv? That's pretty poor if so...

Just checking none of this weekend's qualifiers are on live tv? That's pretty poor if so...

Nope. Sky had one scheduled but dropped it when the only couple of decent ones were fixed against the Munster final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,288 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

It’s a disgrace. Very poor. Some great games today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

Kildare thrashing Antrim
    Amazing Dublin hammered kildare and kildare do this to Antrim. Gulf or what

Big few weeks for kildare, galway, Monaghan, mayo, Tyrone, cork

Making the super eights will define their season

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

C__MC wrote: »
    Kildare thrashing Antrim
    Amazing Dublin hammered kildare and kildare do this to Antrim. Gulf or what

Big few weeks for kildare, galway, Monaghan, mayo, Tyrone, cork

Making the super eights will define their season

Kildare could make it beyond the super 8's if they get a bit of luck and sort out their shot selection.

They'll certainly win enough ball around the middle to give themselves a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Kildare probably learnt their lesson from the scare the got v Wicklow and needing 2 games to beat Longford. Speaking of Longford they are currently trailing Tyrone by 7 points 25 mins played.

It’s a disgrace. Very poor. Some great games today.

Football other than Derry/Laois all one sided thrashings.

Another one probably in the Mayo game.

Will watch first 15 of the munster final hoping it is close. Only 16,000 there according to Joanne.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,708 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Good win for Laois that, only 4 point win for Tyrone against Longford

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,288 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Someone making their “dayboo” in the Munster Final.
    You’d think a commentator would be able to pronounce words properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,907 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Someone making their “dayboo” in the Munster Final.
    You’d think a commentator would be able to pronounce words properly.

That is that eejit that tries to sound sophisticated.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Netflix...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

This could be a bit of a hammering for cork if the first few minutes are anything to go by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

Munster final over already.

Game over after 5 minutes, pathetic attendance. Munster champ is terrible

• Registered Users Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

A few poor wides by Cork

Clare would have put up a better showing and probably brought more support

Cork have had about 6 or 7 wides and blasted a great goal chance straight at the keeper.

• Advertisement

Cork look like a D4 team.

I thought Galway had slipped between 2002-2015 but this is another level.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement