Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

slave1 wrote: »
    It (an EV) attracts VRT like every other car, except the first €5k is exempt so the Revenue Calculator will result in a zero VRT e.g. VRT of €4,000 payable then the calculator will show zero, VRT of €6,000 then the calculator will show €1,000

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

unkel wrote:
    You got that from the online VRT calculator, irishgrover?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 21,506 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

1874 wrote: »
    That doesnt really clear it up, why even answer so vaguely?
    what I read today makes it look like an EV does not attract VRT, I assumed it did as Id not read anything specifically to the contrary. Im not specifying the actual cost, I know revenue does that re OMSP. I just gathered from what I was reading that none was due and asked for clarification.
    It's perfectly clear to me.
    If you're going to ask a question and argue with the valid replies I can suggest Google as a better resource

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

So, a question regarding the option to upgrade the battery (if it comes to fruition). What impact will this have on the performance of the car?

From what i’m aware, the space and ability to upgrade the battery have been built into the car, but with the added weight will it have a significant impact on car performance and hold on the road.

It is an option I would probably avail of if it did become available, and obviously cost would be a factor, but would it be worth it in the end?

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

So, a question regarding the option to upgrade the battery (if it comes to fruition). What impact will this have on the performance of the car?

From what i’m aware, the space and ability to upgrade the battery have been built into the car, but with the added weight will it have a significant impact on car performance and hold on the road.

It is an option I would probably avail of if it did become available, and obviously cost would be a factor, but would it be worth it in the end?

Ioniq with 39kWh would be a modest increase in range (probably 80km or so)
    Ioniq with 64kWh would be a beast and I'd probably pay for that even in preference to model 3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

A common misconception.

There is generally no/minimal weight difference between capacities offered on the same platform. The difference in capacity is normally down to chemistry, not usually additional battery cells (Tesla being a notable exception because they vary capacity by varying the number of cell modules).
    The 22, 36 and 44kWh BMW i3 packs weigh within 1% of each other (despite press to the contrary the weight difference between 2013-2016 and 2016- is down to a change in the roof material from CFRP to aluminium, not a difference in the packs).

The 39kWh Kona/Ioniq pack actually weighs less than the 27kWh Ioniq pack.... because it does have less cells.

As for upgrading, it's up to the manufacturer whether they offer you a trade in program for the new pack (something required to make it financially viable). On a technical level EVs literally don't care whether the power comes from their OEM battery or an experimental nuclear reactor as long as it supplies the right voltage and is capable of providing sufficient current to meet the demand of the motor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Hi,

Another Ioniq video from Tesla Bjorn, this time looking at winter efficiency at 90km/h and 120 km/h.

It was 15.6kWh and 20.6kWh consumption at 90 and 120 km/h respectively.

That gives a winter range of 180kms and 136kms at 90 and 120 km/h.

The 180kms @ 90km/h is a bit lower range than I would have hoped for. However this is at -4 degrees so not that bad.

For comparison, in summer Bjorn put the range at 80km/h at 235 kms.

Might be interesting reading for anyone looking at the winter range of the Ionic.

Saw that yesterday. Even though I already own one, Bjorn's reviews of anything are always interesting.

Approx 10-15% worse in kWh/100km terms than I am getting at the moment, it's currently 2-5 degrees in the mornings and evenings here though, so perhaps the temperature difference explains it.
    20.6kWh/100km is very high (for the Ioniq). I've driven above 130km/h and got better than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Thanks ELM,

Really invaluable to get first hand accounts from owners here, appreciate it!

Al.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭sean72

Due to some timing, holiday season and electrician woes I may up having to use the 3 pin charger for a period of time when I get my ioniq in January. I have a few questions ...

Is it safe?
    What length is the 3 pin cable that comes with the ioniq?
    If I had to use and extension cable are there any recommendations for a heavy duty capable one?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

BigAl81 wrote: »
    Hi,

Another Ioniq video from Tesla Bjorn, this time looking at winter efficiency at 90km/h and 120 km/h.

It was 15.6kWh and 20.6kWh consumption at 90 and 120 km/h respectively.

That gives a winter range of 180kms and 136kms at 90 and 120 km/h.

The 180kms @ 90km/h is a bit lower range than I would have hoped for. However this is at -4 degrees so not that bad.

For comparison, in summer Bjorn put the range at 80km/h at 235 kms.

Might be interesting reading for anyone looking at the winter range of the Ionic.

Whats the range at 120km/h in summer or did he test?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

This car with a 64 battery would be a fantastic option

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭zg3409

sean72 wrote: »
    Due to some timing, holiday season and electrician woes I may up having to use the 3 pin charger for a period of time when I get my ioniq in January. I have a few questions ...

Is it safe?
    What length is the 3 pin cable that comes with the ioniq?
    If I had to use and extension cable are there any recommendations for a heavy duty capable one?

I am not sure which comes with car as my UK import did not come with granny cable.

My setup is here:
    https://www.tog.ie/2018/10/october-2018-open-social-electric-vehicle-theme/evwith-charger/

This shows granny cable, 15 metres extension lead with waterproof socket. ( The Zappi in photo was added later ) I charged for about 3 weeks nightly. Main issues were 1) Cheap granny cable from eBay had large box near the plug so I could not run it through the letter box. I found an extension lead could be put through, but design of granny cable could not. I decided to buy a bright coloured 15 metre lead with a trailing waterproof socket on the end that is still waterproof when plug is inserted.

I got mine in woodies, but I would not recommend you buy it. Ideally you need a high grade cable with waterproof socket, capable of maximum loads constantly. Cheaper cables get warm to the touch when charging for hours at a time. Do not buy a cable on a drum. If you leave drum coiled up even slightly IT WILL catch FIRE.

You can see I stretched green cable outside house on the ground to prevent overheating and fires. I now keep it under the boot floor with the granny cable for when I visit my granny. 15 metres is plenty for emergency. My eBay granny cable is only a few metres long.

Here is the one I got which gets warm after a few hours:

https://www.woodies.ie/pro-xt-15m-weatherproof-socket-extension-lead-with-cable-tidy-1143677?utm_source=google_shopping&&gclid=Cj0KCQiAxs3gBRDGARIsAO4tqq1NAuFUEfhT4dd-k_wWl5g0msfCjXPR2O3BlmDw7oT-5-dCBkN9nkkaAg2MEALw_wcB

Ensure waterproof socket is fully sealed and connect car end last and disconnect car end first. If car end won't unplug, you need to press unlock on cars remote and plug out within a couple of seconds. Pressing unlock allows the car to stop charging for a couple of seconds and release the lock. This way there is no power going through the plugs and sockets when you unplug anything.

I also replaced the wall socket I intended using at the front door with a brand new one, and I tested it during the daytime first in case anything overheated and started a fire.

The other thing is it takes many many hours to charge, so put it on all day and night when you get home. The car display will tell you how long until full after about 5 seconds of charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,915 ✭✭✭✭unkel

He gets his calculation wrong. 15.6kWh/100km is not the 160-170km he mentions. It is 180km

Funnily enough my averages match what he is reporting. Over the 6 months of summer I averaged 12kWh/100km (range 235km) and since the start of winter I've averaged 16kWh/100km (range 175km)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Legits wrote: »
    To the people who ordered a 2019 Ioniq. Did you get to test drive one before ordering. no one in the south west seems to have stock.

Yes, had to wait a few weeks for a shipment to come in. Most of the garages around Dublin should have one

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Casher

Another 191 Ioniq sold! My local garage got delivery of a phantom black yesterday, I test drove today and will be signing the paperwork on Monday evening. What a lovely car to drive, even in these conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

Hot Cake Ioniq :)

Lovely car to be in!

I hit turtle mode twice over the weekend, due to two unexpected trips. Which is 1 time more than I had totaled in my 7 month 31k km ownership to date.
    Turtle cuts in at 4% SOC and by god does it cut in!

I charged from 4% to 100% at a standard charger and the car took just under 30kWh (~29.9). I guess the figures on the chargers are gross not net of charging losses.

Also, it just goes to show the efficiency of the car, even in the cold, once you drive slower. I did 20km on approx 7% SOC. 12kWh/100km per the onboard trip report.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

ELM327 wrote: »
    Turtle cuts in at 4% SOC and by god does it cut in!

Hehe, sounds like it was a bit of a shock! I've never had it happen to me - the lowest I've ever been is 5%.

What exactly happens? Does it just severely limit speed/acceleration?

Yep, acceleration is severely limited (I presume top speed too) but you can still move normally with other traffic

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    Yep, acceleration is severely limited (I presume top speed too) but you can still move normally with other traffic

You have to have regen set to 0 though, if you have regen at any other setting you can apply 7/8 throttle and still lose speed.

Anyone had any issues with the charger at m1 applegreen heading into town. Been here twice last 2 days and takes about 20 minutes and only charges about 5%.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

Sounds like the same problem the fast charger at Lucan had for 3 months, before they fixed it. Is that also one of the EFACEC triple head units? Pretty unreliable crap they are. They have numerous issues with faulty card readers too. Why oh why did ESB decide to go with Portuguese made chargers rather than German / Swedish made ones?

Yeah it’s one of those, i’ve Never had an issue at any other fast charger, and after yesterday I decided to go back today to see if it was just a glitch and one time thing, but was same today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Yeah it’s one of those, i’ve Never had an issue at any other fast charger, and after yesterday I decided to go back today to see if it was just a glitch and one time thing, but was same today.

Heading back from Malin Head on Tuesday, I had to choose between Castlebellingham and Lusk to charge on the M1. I'm glad I chose Castlebellingham. :D

unkel wrote: »
    Sounds like the same problem the fast charger at Lucan had for 3 months, before they fixed it. Is that also one of the EFACEC triple head units? Pretty unreliable crap they are. They have numerous issues with faulty card readers too. Why oh why did ESB decide to go with Portuguese made chargers rather than German / Swedish made ones?
    The efacec ones are better than the other non efacec ones installed here (DBT comes to mind...)

We need some ABB chargers. They have them in a lot of places in Norway and you can even queue (IE if someone is using the chademo you can plug in the CCS and start your session, which will commence delivering power once the chademo disconnects, with no further interaction required)

ELM327 wrote: »
    We need some ABB chargers.

That's what I mean. Not that Portuguese rubbish that the manufacturer itself took over 3 months to fix :rolleyes:

(not blaming ESB here, it was obviously beyond their capability to fix them - which sometimes is a reasonable excuse)

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Macker

I was watching a YouTube video today to figure out issues I have with android auto and satnav, probably me being thick but anyhow coincendly I bought an Amazon echo today as a Christmas present, in the video a woman told the car to warm the car up, is this possible?

Macker wrote: »
    I was watching a YouTube video today to figure out issues I have with android auto and satnav, probably me being thick but anyhow coincendly I bought an Amazon echo today as a Christmas present, in the video a woman told the car to warm the car up, is this possible?
    Not with the Ioniq it isn't, as there's no app support in the EU.

For other cars, potentially something like that could be possible.

• Advertisement

Planning a long trip over the weekend to collect a christmas present at the other side of the country.
    Just under 400km, will be charging twice as it's winter.
    Summer could probably have done it in one.

31k km and 7 months later and I still love long trips in this car, so comfortable and no range anxiety!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement