Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,094 ✭✭✭✭KCross

kceire wrote: »
    If you can granny charge during the day while in work, then an ioniq will be perfect.

Would it though?
    Over 8hrs it would add about 60% to an Ioniq. That could be cutting it tight for the home leg depending on how much they had to spare on the morning commute.

Its hard to tell for sure without trying it on his commute.

Any forecasts of how many hours granny charging I would need?

Granny charging gives about 2kW to the battery so ~14hrs to go from 0-100% as the Ioniq has 28kWh usable.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,053 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I presume you'll charge at home to 100% every night. If you drive gently in summer, you won't need any work charging. On a bad day in winter you'd need a couple of hours on the granny charger.

unkel wrote: »
    I presume you'll charge at home to 100% every night. If you drive gently in summer, you won't need any work charging. On a bad day in winter you'd need a couple of hours on the granny charger.

I never thought I’d see the day that you would suggest driving 80km on the motorway in an Ioniq at Leafspeed!!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Thanks for the replies. Something to mull over.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Thanks for the replies. Something to mull over.

Granny charger at work will cause issue. Ask HR first. Ask about charger in work, proper one. They can get one that costs like 1 euro....

If not then buy long range, or wait, 12 months will make a huge difference

Ballylad wrote: »
    Anyone get any trade in prices against kona ev for 171 Ioniq ev thnks

How much do you want?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

There was a guy on FB, he was apparetly offered 17k.

KCross wrote: »
    I never thought I’d see the day that you would suggest driving 80km on the motorway in an Ioniq at Leafspeed!!!! :)

Haha, I wouldn't be keen on that myself, I'd rather pay my employer than drive at LeafSpeed and that says a lot :D

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Gile_na_gile

What is the best possible deal to get a fully electric Ioniq for use in Ireland with all the associated costs?

Having looked at PHEVs, it is really hard not to fantasise perhaps about pushing for the fully electric rather than a compromised PHEV which will not handle as well, will cause anxieties about the engine kicking in, and will become obsolete faster.

I see them second-hand on Autotrader starting at £19k, and second-hand sales in Ireland from €24-25k. I read Unkel's review where it seems it can be had new for around 25-30k including SEAI grant and VRT reduction. What is the absolute cheapest they can be had for SH or new? Finally, via PCP what is a typical premium added to cash price for repayment in 24 months?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭deegs

Got my 191 booked this week for 26k which included 4k scrappage on a car I bought 6 months ago for 1k.

deegs wrote: »
    Got my 191 booked this week for 26k

BigAl81 also ordered his 191 in solid white for 26k a few weeks ago. I imagine this is the very best you can do at the moment for a brand new Ioniq EV. Very good value

I got mine at the start of last year, with metallic paint, for 25k :D

If you can get a deal like this, the car is far better value for money new rather than second hand. If you do prefer to spend a few grand less, keep an eye on the bargain thread in this folder. From time to time they come up both here and in the UK (but not many). Or you could source one from Phil Fitzgerald in electricautos.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Ballylad

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Ballylad wrote: »
    Anyone get any trade in prices against kona ev for 171 Ioniq ev thnks

How much do you want?
    Whatever is the going rate, have 70000kms, black, new tyres , full service history

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Ballylad

Perfect!

@liamog - iirc you once saw a very high regen figure. How much was it?

This chap here seems to consistently have got a max of 87kW regen when braking hard, but only when he is already in regen level 3:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Highest I can find in my available data is a 247A @ 341Vdc to give 84kW.
    Though I could of swore I had 95kW in a previous dataset.

I think it may have been due to how I was manipulating the data. I'd reported the max amps at one point then at another point said the max power used which was 95.75kW and may have conflated the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,635 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Max I've ever seen (and I've been watching the screen intermittently since posts here) was 87/88kW
    That was gently applying the brake pedal and using the full regen #3 at ~150km/h (private road ;) ). So I can't see a scenario where it would be more than that.

87kW of regen is still very very impressive and coming from my leaf that only had max 30kW of regen it was a different world!

The powertrain is capable of 88kW, so it makes sense that it would be the limit.

liamog wrote: »
    The powertrain is capable of 88kW, so it makes sense that it would be the limit.

You'd wonder then why they cant take that at the rapids?

Technically they probably can, but likely programmed to charge slightly slower. Same as it probably isn't good for the battery to use the full 88kW to accelerate for 15 seconds and then brake for 15 seconds, accelerate for 15 seconds, etc. for 15 minutes continuously, which nobody would do much in practice, not even me or ELM427 :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

The period it will be taking 88 kw under braking will be very short vs the 15 to 20 mins it might be asked to take 88 kw on a rapid were it allowed to do so.

You've got to look at longer term battery durability and how the cooling system for the battery can handle it and remember that Hyundai are designing these cars to handle various climate scenarios and tempertures.

To use a diesel parallel - you've people getting say 200 bhp from their 140 bhp diesel just by remapping and the obvious question is why not make that car 200 bhp from the factory.

But in reality the car maker is building in some room for tolerance for reliability and to help meet emissions etc

unkel wrote: »
    Technically they probably can, but likely programmed to charge slightly slower. Same as it probably isn't good for the battery to use the full 88kW to accelerate for 15 seconds and then brake for 15 seconds, accelerate for 15 seconds, etc. for 15 minutes continuously, which nobody would do much in practice, not even me or ELM427 :p

If it had a 40kWh battery they probably would release that extra capability.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Legits

To the people who ordered a 2019 Ioniq. Did you get to test drive one before ordering. no one in the south west seems to have stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭1874

just looking at prices here and the UK, reading more on it, it appears there would be no vrt on import of an EV up to €35k, is it correct that if i were to import an EV from the UK for less than that, I would not be liable for vrt? or have I misinterpreted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,635 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

1874 wrote: »
    just looking at prices here and the UK, reading more on it, it appears there would be no vrt on import of an EV up to €35k, is it correct that if i were to import an EV from the UK for less than that, I would not be liable for vrt? or have I misinterpreted it.
    You have misinterpreted slightly

Doesnt matter if you paid 3500 or 35000, it's what revenue deem it to be worth, the "OMSP".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

ELM327 wrote: »

Doesnt matter if you paid 3500 or 35000, it's what revenue deem it to be worth, the "OMSP".

yeah, when I bough mine last year the OMSP was over 35000 so I waited a week (to new month) and the OMSP has depriciated to under €35000.

EG Current OMSP for Ioniq Premium SE
    1st registered October 2018 = 36399
    1st registered September 2018 =32313
    Seems a bit extreme, depriciation of over €1000 per week, but there ya go...

You got that from the online VRT calculator, irishgrover?

A friend was asking, to get the trade in money off the Ioniq can you just go out and buy a car and use it? or do you have to drive the car for 6 months? Do the dealers check?

I think I seen something about the car having to be in your name

• Registered Users Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭1874

ELM327 wrote: »

That doesnt really clear it up, why even answer so vaguely?
    what I read today makes it look like an EV does not attract VRT, I assumed it did as Id not read anything specifically to the contrary. Im not specifying the actual cost, I know revenue does that re OMSP. I just gathered from what I was reading that none was due and asked for clarification.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

1874 wrote: »
    That doesnt really clear it up, why even answer so vaguely?
    what I read today makes it look like an EV does not attract VRT, I assumed it did as Id not read anything specifically to the contrary. Im not specifying the actual cost, I know revenue does that re OMSP. I just gathered from what I was reading that none was due and asked for clarification.

It (an EV) attracts VRT like every other car, except the first €5k is exempt so the Revenue Calculator will result in a zero VRT e.g. VRT of €4,000 payable then the calculator will show zero, VRT of €6,000 then the calculator will show €1,000

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement