Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Yeah I used that a few weeks ago with success on the E46. Diagnosed a faulty MAF and can clear codes too.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Ron Burgundy II

On a high mileage car 200k km is there any advantage with increasing the oil from 5W30 to 10W30 or 10W40?

On a high mileage car 200k km is there any advantage with increasing the oil from 5W30 to 10W30 or 10W40?

So 200k kms isn't that high anyway to be fair.
    And always stick to the original recommendation :)
    Going to different specs can only be detrimental IMO.

It's been quite a while since Duckhams brought out 20w50 for sh1tty ole 70s built engines that burnt oil from the factory :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Stick with what it’s been used to. You can get 5w30/40 pretty cheap nowadays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

My Avensis on 375k and climbing is always serviced with 5w30 full synth, every 15k. I'll probably do this on Friday of this week

It's what Toyota recommend and I'm not going to stray away from that, it still runs like a clock without any excessive oil consumption

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Unless it's using oil I see no reason to deviate from what the manufacturer recommended. 200,000 km is not that high in any case.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,146 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Minor accident logged with insurance company. Guy said it sounded more her fault.

No video footage in Tesco. Have picked a new spot for parking in future. Reverse in, drive out.

beertons wrote: »
    .......... Reverse in, drive out.

Best way to go really IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Ron Burgundy II

Unless it's using oil I see no reason to deviate from what the manufacturer recommended. 200,000 km is not that high in any case.

I think it's burning oil more than the norm, so will keep checking it for a month and see what the consumption is like. If it's proven to be excessive is it worth going with a different grade of oil, or just keep with the 5w30?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I think it's burning oil more than the norm, so will keep checking it for a month and see what the consumption is like. If it's proven to be excessive is it worth going with a different grade of oil, or just keep with the 5w30?

I mean your car could be leaking/burning oil for some other reason (lots of different causes here), changing to a different grade of oil wouldn't necessarily make any difference here. If it were me I'd be trying to diagnose further and then make a plan of action. I see no benefit to changing oil as things stands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,503 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Is there much difference between 5W30 and 5W40? What issues, if any, could arise from using the 40 when 30 is recommend?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

One is thicker than the other but not by much comparing both you mentioned.

Also you should always use the recommended oil especially now a days as engines are more complex with Variable valve timing/vanos/VTEC and what ever such names different companies come up with for basically the same thing

Esel wrote: »
    Is there much difference between 5W30 and 5W40? What issues, if any, could arise from using the 40 when 30 is recommend?

5W40 won't flow as well through the engine as 5W30 when fully warmed up (the higher the viscosity, the lower the flow rate), since the oil has a higher viscosity when warmed up it will put the oil pump under more pressure and consequently fuel consumption will increase compared to 5W30.

As counterpoints, the higher viscosity of 5W40 means it will protect the engine better in high outside temperatures and/or harsher driving. It will also make the engine sound nicer (the fact it's thicker will mask some of the engine noises) and increase the oil pressure in the engine (although using thicker oil to try and stop the oil pressure light flickering at idle is beyond daft). The main advantage is it will definitely reduce the oil consumption if a car is burning some.

In reality, there isn't that much of a difference between the two of them, but 5W40 is better for people who are burning oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Farfromhome02

370 thousand Kms on mine
    5w 30 elf or total I use
    8 k intervals,around 4 services a year
    Pd 1.9 engine
    Burns little or no oil
    No smoke atal from car even under hard load

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Jaysus even my RX8 only gets serviced twice a year, to be fair I do less than 10k a year. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

CianRyan wrote: »
    Jaysus even my RX8 only gets serviced twice a year, to be fair I do less than 10k a year. :p
    Probably because it's an RX8 and petrol is expensive :P

I'm jealous really though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,395 ✭✭✭Dartz

Been meaning to service mine for the last 3k....

then again that's been mostly running 400km a weekend Dublin -> Wexford so it's not like city work.

And Petrol is expensive. It hasn't stopped me putting 20-30k a year on it last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

Considering the time of year I couldn’t help but look back on 2018 car plans thread. Apparently I am keeping the Leon anyway :pac: I need to stop posting in them swear I just Jinx myself and end up doing the opposite.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=105707316&postcount=41

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

CIP4 wrote: »
    Considering the time of year I couldn’t help but look back on 2018 car plans thread. Apparently I am keeping the Leon anyway :pac: I need to stop posting in them swear I just Jinx myself and end up doing the opposite.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=105707316&postcount=41

Well you have a decent motor now! I want to offload our B8.5 A4 next year all going well, What you think of the facelift B9?

Truckermal wrote: »
    Well you have a decent motor now! I want to offload our B8.5 A4 next year all going well, What you think of the facelift B9?

Yes they are completely different didn’t really realise it until I was back in my Dads B8.5 recently fairly substantial step change. The B9 is far quieter more refined and feels a lot lighter well it is 200kg odd lighter. Can be difficult to get a well specced one as most English ones are actually worse spec than the Irish ones which is unusual I suppose. English spec is weird as they don’t even come with a colour driver display seats are terrible aswell on UK spec ones.

The interior is very nice in them also everyone always comments on my one once in it. Try get Virtual Cockpit as it is a very nice addition. I am a bit of an Audi fan so probably a bit skewed but think they are well up there in that segment of car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Truckermal wrote:

What year, engine etc is yours?

Yes they are completely different didn’t really realise it until I was back in my Dads B8.5 recently fairly substantial step change. The B9 is far quieter more refined and feels a lot lighter well it is 200kg odd lighter. Can be difficult to get a well specced one as most English ones are actually worse spec than the Irish ones which is unusual I suppose. English spec is weird as they don’t even come with a colour driver display seats are terrible aswell on UK spec ones.

The interior is very nice in them also everyone always comments on my one once in it. Try get Virtual Cockpit as it is a very nice addition. I am a bit of an Audi fan so probably a bit skewed but think they are well up there in that segment of car.

I wouldn't buy one again it replaced a B8 Passat that I really missed next car will be a G30 hopefully.
    What year, engine etc is yours?

It's a 151 think it's 140HP plenty of power anyway, it's her car I rarely drive it.

Truckermal wrote:
    It's a 151 think it's 140HP plenty of power anyway, it's her car I rarely drive it.

Nice, the Mondeo will probably get the boot next year and one of those might be in sight.

Nice, the Mondeo will probably get the boot next year and one of those might be in sight.

I wouldn't be honest about it the Mondeo is a huge car compared the A4! I would certainly get a very long test drive first paying attention to legroom and pedal position which drives me insane!

Truckermal wrote:
    I wouldn't be honest about it the Mondeo is a huge car compared the A4! I would certainly get a very long test drive first paying attention to legroom and pedal position which drives me insane!

Oh ya I know well. The Mondeo is too big, back seats are never used (seatbelts pull like new!) small saloon is what would fit the bill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Probably because it's an RX8 and petrol is expensive :P

I'm jealous really though.

I’ll be honest, the low mileage is the only reason so considered the RX8.
    Gas considering I was in the market for reliable hot hatch to bring my music gear around. :D

Getting the 325 back on Saturday at last.

It's been off the road since the start of the month. It's coming back with four new shocks, two new springs, top mounts front and back, front anti roll bar drop links, passenger's side front hub, new rear side window seals (they were starting to get perished and the car was starting to make a racket on the motorway), a new steering coupler, and most importantly of all, new diff bearings.

I had planned on doing all of this to the car eventually, and the suspension and steering coupler were planned for this month, but not all this much before Christmas! However, once I knew it was the diff bearings that was the cause of grumbling and vibration noises I had been noticing for the past while, there was no way I wanted to leave it, and I decided since I was going to be spending a fortune on the car this month I might as well get the window seals done then as well.

All that's left now are the wheels, some rust and the interior needs a detail as well, these are planned for the first few months of next year but we'll see what happens!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,217 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Hope you're not doing urban mileage in a new diesel! That's asking for trouble!

• Advertisement

Tbh the ad-blue alone would be enough to put me off a new diesel just the effort of having to buy it several times a year and put it in. Obviously I know if you are doing big mileage you have little choice but if you are border line it’s a bit off putting especially when you consider it’s not that unusual for modern petrols to be averaging 40-45mpg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,217 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Tbh the ad-blue alone would be enough to put me off a new diesel just the effort of having to buy it several times a year and put it in. Obviously I know if you are doing big mileage you have little choice but if you are border line it’s a bit off putting especially when you consider it’s not that unusual for modern petrols to be averaging 40-45mpg.
    Easier to just p1ss into the adblue tank to be honest. It's mostly Urea afaik

Tbh the ad-blue alone would be enough to put me off a new diesel...........

My Sorento is sans ad-blu thankfully. Was a small factor in going for it tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

I don’t understand AdBlue at all, and to be honest I only really became aware of it last year I think. Just reminds me of 2stroke for old cars and bikes..which we left in the past and with the communists for good reason!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,289 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Trucks have been using it for donkey years.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Trucks have been using it for donkey years.

Yep since 2006..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

I don’t understand AdBlue at all, and to be honest I only really became aware of it last year I think. Just reminds me of 2stroke for old cars and bikes..which we left in the past and with the communists for good reason!

It's actually makes good sense, if you can inject a tiny amount of cheap liquid into an exhaust and dramatically reduce the emissions does it not make sense? It's just like a catalyst, why put precious metals in the exhaust? Same reason

Got petrol last Thursday in Topaz last week got more today same place 9 cent cheaper that’s a massive drop in a week. Is this just topaz dropping their price because Applegreen announced they were dropping it 5 cents for Christmas ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

its still around 134 for petrol in galway and 129 for diesel, i was in ballina during the week and it was 127 for petrol 124 for diesel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

I paid 133 in an apple green yesterday. On another note I'm not getting applegreen diesel anymore. My already sow of a volvo seems to be extremely thirsty when filled with the úll glas. 100 miles gave me a mere 30mpg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

I paid 133 in an apple green yesterday. On another note I'm not getting applegreen diesel anymore. My already sow of a volvo seems to be extremely thirsty when filled with the úll glas. 100 miles gave me a mere 30mpg.

Be careful slagging off applegreen fuel now, many a folk around here stand by it !

But I agree with you , I don't trust it at all. I find circle k / topaz / maxol the only way to go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭Ryath

Depends on the driving you do. I’ve done 50k km in just over 2 years and only topped up with second 10ltr bottle at 45k km only got 8ltrs or so in. Topped up first time just past 20k km same story only got 8ltrs in threw the rest in a few months later. It's easier than checking and toppings up the oil. Or at least it is in mine where it fills under the fuel cap.

Do very few short trips, most trips are 20km each way a day with very little time in stop start traffic. Good few long days too 800km plus with 650km or so done in one go probably helps efficiency!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,289 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Saw this on twitter earlier, holy sheet:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1076462359819051008

Driver needs to go out and buy lottery tickets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I remember putting Applegreen garbage in to WRX once. Was last time I went near it. Drop in mpg and car did not felt right.

Texaco or Topaz since then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,802 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Have no problem with applegreen fuel at all. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭ofcork

I see a few of the cousins are back in cork for Christmas saw a lovely white Q7 and a CLS today already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

ofcork wrote: »
    I see a few of the cousins are back in cork for Christmas saw a lovely white Q7 and a CLS today already.

Good few of them around Limerick today parked on footpaths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Good few of them around Limerick today parked on footpaths.

Their culture boss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,395 ✭✭✭Dartz

Applegreen diesel has left me distinctly underwhelmed. It might just depend on the car.

Applegreen petrol seems to be fine. The RX will swallow it without hiccuping. It never seems to be that much cheaper though.

Have used applegreen diesel before a couple of times and always seemed to get lower MPG. I have never bought their petrol now. Just always by Topaz/Circle K out of habit at this stage plus all my local petrol stations are that brand.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement