Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Conor McGregor

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

here, what do yez think of the Irish Times not reporting a single syllable about McGregor. Is it perfectly predictable and acceptable? or is it pants?

coz it annoyed the crap outa me ; )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Does anyone have a link for last nights interview with Ariel Helwani?
    Please and Thanks! :-)

John_D80 wrote: »
    Does anyone have a link for last nights interview with Ariel Helwani?
    Please and Thanks! :-)

http://www.mmafighting.com/authors/ariel-helwani

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Ray Mond

cowzerp wrote: »
    Ray Mond, lose the attitude or you will be banned, You earned yourself an infraction and are lucky that is all, I know lots more about MMA than you do as i Fight, coach, promote events and judge and have refereed at events, So get off your high horse if you want to stay around here.
    Banned for voicing my opinion or replying to the comme t u sent me ?
    Forget it I won't even reply to u again then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Thanks man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

I think it's great that so many people will take another look at the sport now that McGregor has made main stream news here.

Can I suggest that, since a lot of Irish people are going to Google him and be taken right to this thread, we get some videos and links on Conor in the first page of posts? Makikomi, would be great for you to give some intro in your post #2 maybe. I'd say a lot of people will see it.

The Hill and Buchinger fights are on YouTube and the mmahour and post fuel 9 interviews are great intros to mma for anyone looking for more info with an open mind.

I'd paste the links myself but I'm on my phone. :)

good idea methinks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

Bloody Elbow put together a YouTube playlist yesterday of every video of him they could get their hands on: http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/4/8/4202514/daily-mma-4-8-ufc-featherweight-conor-mcgregor-highlights-fights-interviews-notorious

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭conor678

What's conor's natural weight. I know he fought at 155 and he normally fights at 145so wondering will he stay at fw considering the monster lw fighters in the ufc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Ray Mond wrote: »
    Banned for voicing my opinion or replying to the comme t u sent me ?
    Forget it I won't even reply to u again then.

You wheren't banned and you got Infracted for been abusive and uncivil, just happened to be towards me, I know Conor well and would consider him a friend and someone I'd often chat to.

The sport of MMA is nowhere near the fastest growing sport, now let's get back on topic and discuss Conor and his great victory.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

And how the hell do you know it's not?

Saying "How do you know it's not" or "Prove me wrong" doesn't necessarily add any weight to your argument. You made the claim, why don't you go and back it up.

I could easily say "I have a house on Neptune made completely of cheese". Now, can you prove I don't? Then it must be true right?

I read something approx 2.5 years ago showing that "UFC" is the fastest growing sports brand in America. But that was because the other major sports leagues were actually losing fans and UFC were the only ones expanding.

Does that make MMA the fastest growing sort in the world? I've only heard it claimed by Joe Rogan but I haven't seen any evidence!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭RainMaker

here, what do yez think of the Irish Times not reporting a single syllable about McGregor. Is it perfectly predictable and acceptable? or is it pants?

coz it annoyed the crap outa me ; )

It's pretty annoying alright. I started a thread a few months ago about the lack of main stream media coverage of MMA... I think it's a combination of things - ignorance of the sport, perceived lack of interest and possibly an element of snobbery as well!

Funny how a rugby (sorry for mentioning that again!) or even a GAA player player gets bloodied - he gets bandaged up and sent back out and gets labelled a warrior or a hero. If the same people reported on MMA, at the first sight of blood they would label it "barbaric".

In this case, given the Irish interest in the Conor story, you'd think they would have at least mentioned it. Maybe they will jump on the bandwagon eventually, who knows. I don't rely on them for news of any kind anyway, but the whole attitude just seems to be "we'll tell you what's news" rather than just reporting what is happening...

It is annoying alright especially given the physical demands of the sport compared to other "sports" that get so much coverage - golf, snooker, darts for example. Maybe not too surprising, I bet most of the staff there are the kind that go on "golf outings" - I assume that based on the fact that their sports page has 4 or 5 golf articles about a tournament that hasn't even started yet!

haha love this one... some punch !
    932 lbs from a 145er ! I've hit those things loadsa times that's a huge score for his weight.

hits as hard as Pat Barry kicks and weighs as much as Pat Barry's lunch !

RainMaker wrote: »
    In this case, given the Irish interest in the Conor story, you'd think they would have at least mentioned it.

somebody who has literally sacrificed everything for years to get that first UFC win representing Irish MMA and then to have the national paper snub their posh noses at it... maybe I have it wrong but that's how I see it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Big Davey

Dave 101 wrote: »

Not working lads & ladies

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Big Davey wrote: »
    Not working lads & ladies

Zuffa don't leave fight videos on youtube longer than three hours so forget about three days. There are loads of camera-pointed-at-TV type videos of the fight on youtube if you do a search.

On another note, Conor's success now means so much more than just his name being out there.

Now, when we get a UFC event here, it will be our event! It won't be UFC coming here, sticking a couple of has-beens in the cage against each other and seemingly picking one Irish fighter to put on the card to please the fans. This will be an event. Conor in the Main Event, Norman Parke maybe in Co-Main and an under card filled with lads like Pendred who will be getting their shot in the UFC. Conor doing what he's doing is probably the biggest step MMA has taken in this country so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭UncleChael

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Now, when we get a UFC event here, it will be our event!
    an under card filled with lads like Pendred who will be getting their shot in the UFC.

I agree, it would be awesome, we could fill a card with Irish guys who more than deserve to be there, guys like Chris Fields, Owen Roddy, Paddy H etc

man I'd love to see 'The Hooligan' fight in Dublin in the O2.... he's as much of a character as McGregor !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Just seen him post on FB that he'll be on the Late Late on Friday night

• Advertisement

now that's pretty cool of RTE must admit fair play to them..... hope the Irish Times feel embarrassed they didn't mutter a word about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭Joe Hart

somebody who has literally sacrificed everything for years to get that first UFC win representing Irish MMA and then to have the national paper snub their posh noses at it... maybe I have it wrong but that's how I see it

They barely talk about boxing as it is so no big surprise they fail to mention what was only a small bout of a minor sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Joe Hart wrote: »
    They barely talk about boxing as it is so no big surprise they fail to mention what was only a small bout of a minor sport.

They barely talk about Katie Taylor? She's never out of the pages of the national papers and she's still amateur.

They barely talk about Katie Taylor? She's never out of the pages of the national papers and she's still amateur.

I'm talking about your usual bout with Andy Lee. These can be fairly big fights over in the states and it wouldn't mention too much mention in the Irish Times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jayo_M

I'm talking about your usual bout with Andy Lee. These can be fairly big fights over in the states and it wouldn't mention too much mention in the Irish Times.

I'd hazard a guess that more people worldwide tuned into McGregor's fight than Andy Lee's last fight. It definitely had more of an impact, as he was trending worldwide on Twitter, which is a pretty strong indicator.

I know people think you're trolling n all that but I have to respond to that one.

Here's their dedicated web page for boxing.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/boxing/

Nearly 40 proper articles so far this year.

Katie Taylor is almost a staff member at this stage and more power to her she's amazing... and boxing is more popular than MMA true.

But you're talkin.... sheeee-ite

I know people think you're trolling n all that but I have to respond to that one.

Here's their dedicated web page for boxing.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/boxing/

Nearly 40 proper articles so far this year.

Katie Taylor is almost a staff member at this stage and more power to her she's amazing... and boxing is more popular than MMA true.

But you're talkin.... sheeee-ite

Talking about the Irish Times buddy.

Johnny Watterson - dedicated boxing writer for the Irish Times far as I know.

http://www.irishtimes.com/search/search-7.1213540?q=boxing

I honestly think if UFC came back for paddys day with Conor main event The Aviva would even sell out. He's an Irish icon now he's gonna be as big as Bisping is in UK if not bigger. Next year he'll be huge in America as well. Deserves everything he gets I've never met any1 that trains as hard and wants anything g as much as him. When he says his day is 'eat train eat train eat train sleep' he's absolutely telling the truth. ****ing beast and inspiration

I honestly think if UFC came back for paddys day with Conor main event The Aviva would even sell out. He's an Irish icon now he's gonna be as big as Bisping is in UK if not bigger. Next year he'll be huge in America as well. Deserves everything he gets I've never met any1 that trains as hard and wants anything g as much as him. When he says his day is 'eat train eat train eat train sleep' he's absolutely telling the truth. ****ing beast and inspiration

You are setting him up for a fall with stuff like that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

They'll have to tell him to cut the cursing out if he's going on The Late Late Show on Friday .

I have to say, I don't get why people are mad at The Irish Times.

Big news in Irish MMA, sure. Big news in sport overall? Perhaps not.

As much as Joe Hart needs to learn a lot about the sport, it's true that MMA is a minor sport in the grand scheme of things. It's be nice for them to recognise it, but i'm not surprised they didn't.

Plenty of time for Conor to make waves! And great news to hear he'll be on The Late Late Show this weekend ;)

well fair enough I don't agree but I see what you're saying... consider this though

Today the Irish Times did a great 3 page article on martial arts as it applies to the subject of bullying. 3 pages. Well written... basically refers to Gerry Martin and TKD classes etc that's great and Gerry is great I trained under him he's a great TKD instructor but 3 pages on TKD essentially and not one word about Conor's Win anywhere on their site or paper.... literally 200 sports tweets and articles up the wazooo all weekend through the night and everything and you think their 25 sports staff members didn't hear about Conor's win ... or watch it... or read about it... at all? Yeah right - this is to me clearly a case of snobbery and I stand by that. Like I said I spoke to a well known sports guy at the I.T. yesterday and was completely civil with him asking him are they covering any aspect of it or whatever and he instantly got thick with me and hung up like a bitch saying 'not on our list of priorities'. Well I hope Conor wins the next one and we'll see how they treat the international success of an Irish Athlete then !

well fair enough I don't agree but I see what you're saying... consider this though

Today the Irish Times did a great 3 page article on martial arts as it applies to the subject of bullying. 3 pages. Well written... basically refers to Gerry Martin and TKD classes etc that's great and Gerry is great I trained under him he's a great TKD instructor but 3 pages on TKD essentially and not one word about Conor's Win anywhere on their site or paper.... literally 200 sports tweets and articles up the wazooo all weekend through the night and everything and you think their 25 sports staff members didn't hear about Conor's win ... or watch it... or read about it... at all? Yeah right - this is to me clearly a case of snobbery and I stand by that. Like I said I spoke to a well known sports guy at the I.T. yesterday and was completely civil with him asking him are they covering any aspect of it or whatever and he instantly got thick with me and hung up like a bitch saying 'not on our list of priorities'. Well I hope Conor wins the next one and we'll see how they treat the international success of an Irish Athlete then !

You rang up the IT berating them for not covering your sport? Are you for real. His answer says it all. It is not on their priorities probably because its not that big of a deal to their readers. MMA fans wouldn't be known as avid Irish Times readers so why get worked up.

I didn't know about the Martial Arts article, but that sounds more like an article on bullying.

Anyway, no doubt Irish Times will one day cover MMA, but i'm not surprised they aren't now.

MMA fans wouldn't be known as avid Irish Times readers so why get worked up.

doing best not to rise to your silly comments but - ahem... tis hard tis hard.

I just think it is blatantly obvious that the Irish Times as a national newspaper which covers all types of sports all year round regularly celebrating Irish athletes when they gain success in any sport should have covered his win out of respect to the MMA community and to Conor and his camp and other aspiring MMA fighters across the country. I think they didn't because they seem to think, well, like you do I suppose. I didn't berate anyone so don't put words in my mouth I simply rang him and asked him a polite question and he went off on one and hung up like a bitch - I think others had been ringing asking the same question tbh and he was just sick of answering the same question.

doing best not to rise to your silly comments but - ahem... tis hard tis hard.

I just think it is blatantly obvious that the Irish Times as a national newspaper which covers all types of sports all year round regularly celebrating Irish athletes when they gain success in any sport should have covered his win out of respect to the MMA community and to Conor and his camp and other aspiring MMA fighters across the country. I think they didn't because they seem to think, well, like you do I suppose. I didn't berate anyone so don't put words in my mouth I simply rang him and asked him a polite question and he went off on one and hung up like a bitch - I think others had been ringing asking the same question tbh and he was just sick of answering the same question.

Its a new enough sport. The Irish Times is an older, conservative paper. Their readers would be typically 40+ and there are very few MMA fans that age in Ireland. Why bother get worked up about it. I'm sure the Sunday World made mention of him.

You are setting him up for a fall with stuff like that.

What an ass hole are u still writing crap on this thread attention seeking idiot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭RainMaker

Its a new enough sport. The Irish Times is an older, conservative paper.

Here is their "Other Sports" page:

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/other-sports

They have an article about Irish cricket, some American college basketball stories, an article on boots for horses and I know you are all dying to know about this, a story on the Family Circle Cup title in South Carolina last night (Women's tennis).

Now I know what you're saying and increasingly the IT are coming across as the sort of old fuddy duddy types you describe.

But surely Conor's win deserved more space, even just as a once off report, than the story of boots for horses and the Family Circle cup!! :D Seriously!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,658 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Its hard to write on something that lasted 60 seconds. It's a fringe sport and its followers are not the typical demographic for Irish times readers. I'm sure that the tabloids covered it.

ted1 wrote: »
    Its hard to write on something that lasted 60 seconds.

I dunno. My journal is full of stories of my sex life!

@Hart

MMA is not just followed by scumbags who read tabloids. I read tabloids sometimes and the Irish Times sometimes and I'm no scumbag or posh stuck up pr1ck. I have friends who are solicitors and curtain makers and they both were delighted watchin Conor's win. Go into an MMA gym and you'll find all walks of life from guys with degrees and money to guys on the dole to guys and girls in college studying. MMA attracts fans of all kinds from all backgrounds. Boxing fans I know don't hate MMA and MMA fans I know don't hate boxing. You have it all wrong man. You're simply going through a process of learning about it and you made the mistake of jumping into an MMA forum and laying down the gospel as you see it without much experience or knowledge to back it up. Most annoyingly is that you['re taking the focus off Conor McGregor... ya know... the title of this thread and a future place of Conor-related debate.

@Hart

MMA is not just followed by scumbags who read tabloids. I read tabloids sometimes and the Irish Times sometimes and I'm no scumbag or posh stuck up pr1ck. I have friends who are solicitors and curtain makers

This genuinely made me laugh out loud!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

billy2012 wrote: »
    We can agree to this agree.

Please tell me you actually think this is the saying :-)

• Advertisement

adamski8 wrote: »

Don't slag the guy.

That would be this graceful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Lads, lets get the thread back on topic eh!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,944 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Awesome news.

Conor and Cathal will be on The Late Late show this Friday, wonder how many F bombs Conor will drop

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

adamski8 wrote: »

I LOLED @ this!! Not really sure what happened there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

scudzilla wrote: »
    Awesome news.

Conor and Cathal will be on The Late Late show this Friday, wonder how many F bombs Conor will drop

not one id imagine. Conor is no fool,

he's an infectious character, i think he'll really impress the average late late viewer, i truly do. Im genunily looking forward to Tubridy on Friday night now :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement