Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mental health and CoVid-19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭acequion

thebaz wrote: »
    agree about the negativity in the media , what if we had no vaccine as looked the case last October !
    Yet every day a new fear inducing twist - people struggling mentally don't seam to count - What about some positivity about the figures dropping the past week - The media should tell the truth , but not over terrify an already over -anxious depressed poplulation of things that MIGHT happen , but probably wont.

Agree completely with the emboldened. I really struggled over the weekend and I'd put it all down to the media and throw in a dollop of social media with it.

But media this weekend was full of sensational doom laden click bait everywhere. Very hard to ignore and it takes a lot of willpower to resist being affected by it. In normal times if you're going through a bad patch you can plan an activity, shopping, coffee with a friend, a pint, a meal, book your next trip away. But now there is almost nothing to distract us from it. Ok a walk, but if you're like me you'll be thoroughly sick of the walks within your 5km. And I say that as someone who loves to hike and walk.

Challenging times folks, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭bunnyboxer

Deactivated my Facebook for that exact reason.

Doubt I'll even bother reactivate it. You can still use messenger.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

bunnyboxer wrote: »
    Deactivated my Facebook for that exact reason.

Doubt I'll even bother reactivate it. You can still use messenger.

Oh never knew that, I always wanted to deactivate facebook but didn’t cause of messenger.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,271 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I'd say avoid RTE News, Prime Time, Tubridy, etc as much as possible.
    The Late Late is one of the biggest misery fests out there and he sort of makes people feel guilty for doing something small or enjoying themselves.(Within regulations) and even before Covid.
    Now it's useful to know the rough numbers and if there's changes to the regulations but just read it or ask somebody to tell you. There's no need to listen to Tony, Micháel say something which is drawn out and then RTE repeating it over and over again.
    With Social Media of course you can delete it. I just follow Christmas, Soaps, Cars, Shops and the odd other thing.

I don’t often do reviews but I’d just like to say I’m using headspace. And when covid was getting all too much I dedicated myself to using it every night at the first hint of issues with sleep. And I’ve used it for the odd moment when overwhelmed.

I’ve done over 200 sessions now and it has been worth every penny. I’m sleeping better. And just the act of turning it on now has me int the habit of calming down, relaxing and preparing for sleep. There was only two nights in the last year where it failed to get me to sleep. And to be fair one of those I was on high dose steroids!

I was never one for meditation, always felt silly. I can’t do the timed breathing ones (asthma hates them) but I’m happy to adjust. I would recommend persevering to find something that works for you.

Switching it on now for the night and I won’t wake until morning.

I've started using Daily Calm and it's quite good as well. Now I'm not that into all this breathing stuff as I'm just too fidgety but the daily 10 minute meditations, if you ignore the breathing bits, aren't bad. I guess every little helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭LilacNails

Is there many people here not working? The shame I have for not working for a total of 8 months. I feel so useless. Like most I'm finding this lockdown the hardest.

LilacNails wrote: »
    Is there many people here not working? The shame I have for not working for a total of 8 months. I feel so useless. Like most I'm finding this lockdown the hardest.

You have absolutely no reason to feel shame or to feel useless because this is not your fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I'd say avoid RTE News, Prime Time, Tubridy, etc as much as possible.
    The Late Late is one of the biggest misery fests out there and he sort of makes people feel guilty for doing something small or enjoying themselves.(Within regulations) and even before Covid.

I don't watch RTE, stiil have to pay a license fee to be lectured by celebs on secure 6 figure salaries, some who didnt even obey the rules themselves - I work in the Arts , its been absolutly devastated - Really struggling to pay rent - as I said I dont mind been told facts , we need to know , but the negative spin on the variants really is too much , when no one knows for sure , Boris Johnson leading the way - eneogh said , people need a little bit of good news , and ther is good news , like the vaccine we got in record time, and if you dig deep you will realise in time it will protect against most of the mutations today, but they dont tell you that in the fear mongering headlines.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Tennis has saved me lately.
    I joined a local club and play 2/3 times a week, lovely location, fresh air with a sea view, no need for masks on the court of course - singles only but no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I feel its time to post here. Just gonna blurb it all out in no particular order. Maybe just typing it out somewhere helps. If nothing else someone else may think at least they;'re not the only one.

I'm working from home since March. Haven't seen anyone from work in person since, havent been in the office once. Just sitting in my home office. Didn't go on holidays. Didnt do anything. One meal we went to in a restaurant, that was in August.

Didnt find it too bad in lockdown 1. Well of course it was ****ty but it was also new and while everything seemed a bit over the top it was also a bit scary and I needed to do my thing like everyone else. Worked quite hard for most of 2020. Made the best of it you could say. Delivered one fair sized project myself and participated in another one where I learned a lot. Put quite a few extra hours into 2020. And my work was good quality and I had motivation despite everything.

But this time its different. Basically in lockdown since October. Was obvious what was going to happen after Christmas so we decided to do nothing at all during the short reprieve. So lockdown since October. No meals, no meets, no nights out, no five-a-sides and now no golf either. All my outlets are gone. Work life balance is gone because there is no life part anymore. Its just work and couch. The highlight of every other day is the walk to Lidl.
    And I feel everything is 'dropping' around me. Work performance has taken a massive nose dive. I can't motivate myself for anything anymore. Its like getting up sitting down in front of the computer, replying to a few emails and then I'm ready to go back to bed again. Just to make the time pass. I expect to get a talking to in work at some point soon.

I'm reading quite a lot and that helped but even that is no longer interesting. Same for television or anything. Its definitely the worst slump I've ever been in and right now I'm not sure what's gong to pull me out of it if the situation doesnt change very soon.

I try not to let it show too much cos I dont want to drag my partner down. Of course we talk about it but during the day I'm putting on a bit of a show of normality to not compound the problem. I'm not suicidal or anything but I'm definitely feeling depressed. I've had seriously enough of this.

What doesnt help either is that I'm an analytical thinker. It comes with my profession. My talent if there is one is that I understand complex situations and problems rather quickly and I can quickly separate the chaff from the substance even under pressure. I'm a logical and rational and calm person. And when I follow the news its the total opposite. Rightly or wrongly I feel its total amateur hour out there with regards to our corona response. Going up the wall with some of the sh1te politicians and media come out with. Sometimes it feels like I'm trapped in some sort of madhouse and everyone is determined to make the madhouse never go away again.

In other words it's just really really crap.

Not looking for pity or sympathy. It the same for most of us. Probably a lot worse for most than me. I have a lovely partner and a good job and a decent house and I dont have to worry about any of these things for now. But its still crap.

• Advertisement

I joined a local club and play 2/3 times a week, lovely location, fresh air with a sea view, no need for masks on the court of course - singles only but no problem.

I'm so jealous. I was hoping golf would be my reprieve but thats apparently too dangerous (sarcasm). Tbh the golfing bodies have really failed us in this. Tennis ireland didnt take all that sh1t from Sporting Ireland and the minister. I think she has a chip on her shoulder about golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Found it tough this morning when I woke up to another week of groundhog day after groundhog day :( - you don't realise how much it's affecting you sometimes. I try not to dwell on the news too much (or at least the negative news) which has helped a little. I'm trying to go easy on myself and I think everyone needs to do the same. This is not at all an easy way to live. I'm fully aware that others have it way worse than me which makes it even harder and more guilt-inducing beacuse you feel like you shouldn't be complaining.

Some evenings, I start thinking to myself (very dangerous!) that I'll never move out of home, never meet somebody to spend my life with (a distinct possibility at this stage) and will just be stuck in a rut for years more......this is all because of Covid but also I feel guilty that I didn't do all these things before a global pandemic hit :pac: It's just unbelievable to me that we are a month away from the 1 year anniversary of the first case in Ireland. Thinking about what the future holds is not the way to go, trust me!

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭hellyeah

LilacNails wrote: »

Hi. Was made redundant at xmas after 13 years service, so can empathize with you.
    First time in my life without work, finding it tough also. Don't feel ashamed for not working as its completely not your fault. Many are in same position.
    I thought my job was for life , but pandemic took care of that. Feels like the pause button has been pressed on life.☹

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 299 ✭✭DessieJames

I feel its time to post here. Just gonna blurb it all out in no particular order. Maybe just typing it out somewhere helps. If nothing else someone else may think at least they;'re not the only one.

I'm working from home since March. Haven't seen anyone from work in person since, havent been in the office once. Just sitting in my home office. Didn't go on holidays. Didnt do anything. One meal we went to in a restaurant, that was in August.

Didnt find it too bad in lockdown 1. Well of course it was ****ty but it was also new and while everything seemed a bit over the top it was also a bit scary and I needed to do my thing like everyone else. Worked quite hard for most of 2020. Made the best of it you could say. Delivered one fair sized project myself and participated in another one where I learned a lot. Put quite a few extra hours into 2020. And my work was good quality and I had motivation despite everything.

But this time its different. Basically in lockdown since October. Was obvious what was going to happen after Christmas so we decided to do nothing at all during the short reprieve. So lockdown since October. No meals, no meets, no nights out, no five-a-sides and now no golf either. All my outlets are gone. Work life balance is gone because there is no life part anymore. Its just work and couch. The highlight of every other day is the walk to Lidl.
    And I feel everything is 'dropping' around me. Work performance has taken a massive nose dive. I can't motivate myself for anything anymore. Its like getting up sitting down in front of the computer, replying to a few emails and then I'm ready to go back to bed again. Just to make the time pass. I expect to get a talking to in work at some point soon.

I'm reading quite a lot and that helped but even that is no longer interesting. Same for television or anything. Its definitely the worst slump I've ever been in and right now I'm not sure what's gong to pull me out of it if the situation doesnt change very soon.

I try not to let it show too much cos I dont want to drag my partner down. Of course we talk about it but during the day I'm putting on a bit of a show of normality to not compound the problem. I'm not suicidal or anything but I'm definitely feeling depressed. I've had seriously enough of this.

What doesnt help either is that I'm an analytical thinker. It comes with my profession. My talent if there is one is that I understand complex situations and problems rather quickly and I can quickly separate the chaff from the substance even under pressure. I'm a logical and rational and calm person. And when I follow the news its the total opposite. Rightly or wrongly I feel its total amateur hour out there with regards to our corona response. Going up the wall with some of the sh1te politicians and media come out with. Sometimes it feels like I'm trapped in some sort of madhouse and everyone is determined to make the madhouse never go away again.

Not looking for pity or sympathy. It the same for most of us. Probably a lot worse for most than me. I have a lovely partner and a good job and a decent house and I dont have to worry about any of these things for now. But its still crap.

sorry to hear that mate , i find that not watching the news, going for long walks and jogging helps,this government and NPHET are utterly dreadful and contstanly blaming the public, but the dire consequences from these lock downs will have a far far worse effect that coronavirus will ever have and will be felt for years to come, but these absolute bast*rds couldnt care less about people who are stuck in a rut at home and struggling mentally, they just instroduce draconian lock down after lock down and its not making a blind bit fo difference, basically kicking the can down the road, the economy is in tatters, many peoples mental health is very bad but you rarely if ever hear them mentioning this.

I'm so jealous. I was hoping golf would be my reprieve but thats apparently too dangerous (sarcasm). Tbh the golfing bodies have really failed us in this. Tennis ireland didnt take all that sh1t from Sporting Ireland and the minister. I think she has a chip on her shoulder about golf.

Golf should be open, I mean you can't get much more socially distanced than that, are they worried cos people play in groups and they are close then ???

Golf should be open, I mean you can't get much more socially distanced than that, are they worried cos people play in groups and they are close then ???

I dont really know tbh. I thought its more to do with the general message. Like we are locked down together no exceptions. Surprised to hear that you can play tennis. Usually the two always went together as lockdown no-lockdown went. Glad for you its nice to have a little something to take your mind off things.

sorry to hear that mate , i find that not watching the news, going for long walks and jogging helps,this government and NPHET are utterly dreadful and contstanly blaming the public, but the dire consequences from these lock downs will have a far far worse effect that coronavirus will ever have and will be felt for years to come, but these absolute bast*rds couldnt care less about people who are stuck in a rut at home and struggling mentally, they just instroduce draconian lock down after lock down and its not making a blind bit fo difference, basically kicking the can down the road, the economy is in tatters, many peoples mental health is very bad but you rarely if ever hear them mentioning this.

Thanks man, I dont want to sound like a whinger, I'll be grand. Like I said plenty of people far worse off. I'm sure the people who make the decisions - as much as I like to criticise them - dont make these decisions lightly. Its just sooner or later somethings gotta give. Rightly or wrongly we can only carry on like this for so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭eigrod

I recognise a lot of what you’re saying. Some tips that worked for me:

1. Don’t know if you had a commute before lockdown or not, but you definitely need to replace the morning commute with something. Going from bed to desk is not good. A 40 minute walk is highly recommended after getting up, or better still a run. Try to work up to a 20 or 25 minute run over time.

2. Eat fruit, oranges & bananas. Fish oil supplements and Magnesium - try your local health food store for advice.

3. Take a 5 minute break from the desk every 40 mins or so. Get up, walk around the back garden.

4. Look up tv schedule in the morning and find something you like on in the evening that you can look forward to. And/or have a think about the good book you’re reading that you’re looking forward to getting back to later.

5. For morning coffee break a couple of times a week, if your employer allows and if there’s a coffee shop nearby, you and your partner go walk for a coffee and walk back with it - sit outside for 10 while drinking it. A nice treat for you both.

6. Do some basic daily mindfulness for 20 mins or so. I would recommend Jon Kabat Zin’s body scan on youtube. There’s loads of mindfulness on youtube- some you won’t like but keep searching until you do.

7. Go for an evening walk (and a lunchtime one too, of possible). I often do 3 walks a day, some as short as 15 mins.

8. Do long walks with your partner at the weekend - something to look forward to and add on a coffee or a treat at the end of the walk.

9. Have a takeaway night once or twice a week - especially Friday evening- again, something to look forward to.

10. Buy a Mindfulness colouring book and colouring pencils - can be surprisingly helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

I didn't realise tennis was allowed to open? How did they get away with that when everything else had to shut. Good to hear they are open, but quite baffling when I can't go to an outdoor athletics track and train on it by myself!

Sorry guys I should have specified I live in Spain.

But I was looking at Mt. Pleasants tennis club (Ranelagh) website and seems its open ? just no doubles ...

http://www.mountpleasantltc.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

eigrod wrote: »

1. Don’t know if you had a commute before lockdown or not, but you definitely need to replace the morning commute with something. Going from bed to desk is not good. A 40 minute walk is highly recommended after getting up, or better still a run. Try to work up to a 20 or 25 minute run over time.

2. Eat fruit, oranges & bananas. Fish oil supplements and Magnesium - try your local health food store for advice.

3. Take a 5 minute break from the desk every 40 mins or so. Get up, walk around the back garden.

4. Look up tv schedule in the morning and find something you like on in the evening that you can look forward to. And/or have a think about the good book you’re reading that you’re looking forward to getting back to later.

5. For morning coffee break a couple of times a week, if your employer allows and if there’s a coffee shop nearby, you and your partner go walk for a coffee and walk back with it - sit outside for 10 while drinking it. A nice treat for you both.

6. Do some basic daily mindfulness for 20 mins or so. I would recommend Jon Kabat Zin’s body scan on youtube. There’s loads of mindfulness on youtube- some you won’t like but keep searching until you do.

7. Go for an evening walk (and a lunchtime one too, of possible). I often do 3 walks a day, some as short as 15 mins.

8. Do long walks with your partner at the weekend - something to look forward to and add on a coffee or a treat at the end of the walk.

9. Have a takeaway night once or twice a week - especially Friday evening- again, something to look forward to.

10. Buy a Mindfulness colouring book and colouring pencils - can be surprisingly helpful.

They are really great ideas. I’m going to try to do a bit more exercise but wasn’t having much motivation for it recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

From a purely selfish perspective I’m glad it’s not open. I’ve have parents involved in it. They helped man the desk for the sign in and records needed for covid. The amount of idiots who would come in to sign in with no masks and get thick when told to get one before coming in or using the locker rooms or not socially distancing was outrageous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

eigrod wrote: »

Love this thank you!

I’ll add to it. I’ve broken out the 1000 piece jigsaw, leave the phone out of the room but with podcast on my headphones and lose myself.

I’m having a bath once a week. Candles, bubbles and all. Proper relaxation

If you have the space I’ve alternated myself from my work desk to the kitchen table for the odd day just to break the monotony

We have no coffee place near but myself and my husband try to walk around the estate each morning. It’s less than ten minutes but enough to brighten the day and touch base with each other

jazz24.org !!!!

No news, just relaxing jazz ... great background music, I have it on as I work from home and at dinner with family ..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 299 ✭✭DessieJames

Love this thank you!

I’ll add to it. I’ve broken out the 1000 piece jigsaw, leave the phone out of the room but with podcast on my headphones and lose myself.

I’m having a bath once a week. Candles, bubbles and all. Proper relaxation

If you have the space I’ve alternated myself from my work desk to the kitchen table for the odd day just to break the monotony

We have no coffee place near but myself and my husband try to walk around the estate each morning. It’s less than ten minutes but enough to brighten the day and touch base with each other

someone told me about CBD bath bombs and they really are brilliant, have one in the evening stay in the bath for as long as posisble and you'll feel very relaxed and chilled and sleep like a baby that night.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Anon9876

I've gone anon for this one.
    I have to admit I am struggling terribly. I am on my own all the time. I haven't seen any friends, family in 2 months and broke up with my partner of 3 years over Christmas.
    I have lost all my work and I'm on my own all day at home. I don't have a social bubble partner either - all my friends already have one. I'm finding it impossible not to drink early and it's like Groundhog Day every day. The whole above situ has made me very depressed, I'm not eating properly and thats just making things worse plus I've lost interest in everything. All people say to me is "Go for a walk". I was finding some days were better than others but now everything is just the same. It feels like an impossible rut to get out of. :(

Just getting it out on 'paper'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Anon9876 wrote: »
    I have to admit I am struggling terribly. I am on my own all the time. I haven't seen any friends, family in 2 months and broke up with my partner of 3 years over Christmas.
    I have lost all my work and I'm on my own all day at home. I don't have a social bubble partner either - all my friends already have one. I'm finding it impossible not to drink early and it's like Groundhog Day every day. The whole above situ has made me very depressed, I'm not eating properly and thats just making things worse plus I've lost interest in everything. All people say to me is "Go for a walk". I was finding some days were better than others but now everything is just the same. It feels like an impossible rut to get out of. :(

I’m in a similar situation - Pieta house are still offering appointments face to face. They’re my only lifeline right now, might be worth a try?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Anon9876

Multipass wrote: »
    I’m in a similar situation - Pieta house are still offering appointments face to face. They’re my only lifeline right now, might be worth a try?

Thanks for that. Sorry to hear you are in a similar boat. It really does suck. I will look up their site. I'm not suicidal but I am definitely quite depressed. I'm so shocked I am in this situ and feel the way I do. I am normally good on 'my own' but this is a whole other level.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭anplaya27

Deaf ISL user here.

Extremely hard.

Cannot meet other Deaf and masks are the bane of my life communication with hearing people is basically non existent. Lip reading is extremely hard anyway as weve never heard a spoken language.

Deaf people are used to isolation anyway. But saying that, research shows are 4 times likely to suffer from mental health issues and 2 times more likely to take our own lives than hearing people.

Yet, despite this, there are currently no supports re mental health in Ireland for Deaf adults or children. Go figure.

Our language, once banned by the church and state, is now recognised as a native and official language of Ireland.

Somehow , we persevere, just like weve always had to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Anon9876 wrote: »

Ah jeez, sorry to hear that. It must be very difficult not seeing anyone at all. Could you not form a bubble with some family members or are they too far away? It's very hard for people when they have lost their job too. I am lucky that I can work from home but I'm still in my bedroom all day and only get out of the house for a walk. I know you say that people keep saying to "go for a walk" but a bit of exercise in the fresh air breaks up being stuck in the house all day. I try to go for a walk on my break and then in the evening after dinner and it helps a bit. Definitely don't get into the habit of just staying in and not going outside at all. Sorry about your relationship breaking up too. All we can do is hope that we will be out of the worst of this come the end of March, I think that's the best we can hope for, unfortunately.

Do try to eat properly; I've been making sure I eat as much fruit and veg and all round good food over the past few weeks, as I find that I feel better in myself when I look after my diet. Perhaps go to the supermarket today and do a shop and buy lots of colourful fruit and veg, fish, meat etc. If you cook at all, perhaps do some batch cooking of stews, casseroles, curries that you can freeze so that at least you'll have a nutritious dinner in the evening.

I know a lot of what I've said is pretty basic, but all we can do at the moment if we are single/on our own is look after ourselves as best we can and be good to ourselves - self-care!

Take care

Advertisement