Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woman shot & killed in Derry being treated as a terrorist incident MOD WARNING IN OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,714 ✭✭✭✭listermint

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    I'm as nationalist as the next but plz piss off. Irrelevant in the context of this senseless murder.

Do you know how to quote a post.... Clearly haven't grasped that yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,253 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Sadly, far from it. I'm on the middle ground tending towards unionism and we've started calling it Lower Limivady to wind up the bigots.

So bigot vs. Bigot outstanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Judging by the videos shot by Leona O'Neill it looks like a lot of people were standing around the same place so it could've been anyone caught by one of the bullets fired. Absolute craziness and it's amazing that more people weren't hurt by these monsters.

As much as it would be nice to pretend otherwise the North is still a complete basket case. Their rates of depression, non-employment and drug and alcohol abuse are massive. Their youth underclass is huge and at the whim of people who say things like how there can't be peace without peace money. Take a drive around the border and see if anything clicks. The way they drive even just shows a complete lack of consideration for others or any sense of self-preservation.

Awful incident but should serve as a reminder to us all of what a ****hole the North really is.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,293 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Poor girl

These lads will be drug addled lunatics who won't have had any clue what they were doing bar shooting into a crowd...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67,080 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Very sad event and the death of a major talent and committed journalist who wasn't prepared to ignore what was happening. Tragic that the very thing that she was occupied by ended up killing her.

"Lyra is fascinated by the recent history of the city; her focus as a journalist is the indirect ways the violence of war plays out, through its secondary waves of victims, and through the way trauma is passed on to subsequent generations.''

RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

RobertKK wrote: »
    With the car bomb there not so long ago, let us all hope this is not going to become a common occurrence again.

Another three ATMs stolen last night, two in the RoI and one in NI. They've (the IRA/New IRA/Tree hugging IRA) been generating funds for a while now. This shooting in Londonderry/Derry last night is just another step back to the days of terrorism. A PSNI raid kicked all this off. They really seem to want to be able to do whatever they want, whenever they want. Hope the culprits are caught and jailed but that may result in more violence, as we all know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Erik Shun

I was born in Newry (like thousands more from Dundalk) registered in Newry but lived in Dundalk since I was 1 week old

Am I a subject of the Queen by default?

Think you missed my point completely

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

If paramilitaries were involved then they must have expected the victim to have been involved in the sale or distribution of drugs.

Jesus H Christ, a young woman, an entirely blameless victim who never even reached her thirties has lost her life, and you have to try and get a cheap pop?

Take a long hard look at yourself kiddo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

lawred2 wrote: »
    Poor girl

These lads will be drug addled lunatics who won't have had any clue what they were doing bar shooting into a crowd...

Poor girl is right, but the people rioting , throwing petrol bombs and who shot the weapon had it aimed in a certain direction, not just randomly in to a crowd. There are videos of the petrol bombs etc.

• Advertisement

Jesus H Christ, a young woman, an entirely blameless victim who never even reached her thirties and you have to try and get a cheap pop?

Have a long hard look at yourself kiddo.

The IRA can do no wrong in some people's eyes. Important to remember that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

So sad and shocked. Took a drive through the city last week and told my fiancee about the troubles and how they were a thing of the past and the city had moved on and was in a great place now. How wrong I was :(

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 22,017 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Awww feck off with that. It was in Creggan the hospital is 15 mins away, the police will all have 1st aid training. There was a riot going on so add more time for the ambulance to get there. Quicker for a jeep to go.

There is no need for shoting into a crowd of people. They will know that bit just fecking no need for it.

I only question why the cops went up at night time to search. They should have gone this morning when they are all in their bed

Sorry just seeing that the user is banned

• Registered Users Posts: 12,224 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

A friend of mine lives in the street where the raid was happening and passed through some of the lunacy.

What stood out to him was the absolute rage and fury on the faces of the local lads who were throwing stuff at the cops. Where does this come from? They've lived through nothing of the troubles. Most likely know nothing of the history of the troubles. Yet they're out there full of anger towards the police for simply doing their job?

Who is ingraining this hatred in them? And to the extent that one or more of them, barely (if even) out of their teens was happy to fire shots with the intent to kill. Regardless of whether they intended to kill Lyra, they weren't firing into the air for the craic. They were aiming at the police and Lyra was just cruelly unlucky.

Thepoet85 wrote: »
    So sad and shocked. Took a drive through the city last week and told my fiancee about the troubles and how they were a thing of the past and the city had moved on and was in a great place now. How wrong I was :(

RIP

How were they a thing of the past? There was a car bomb in the city not so long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

As much as it would be nice to pretend otherwise the North is still a complete basket case. Their rates of depression, non-employment and drug and alcohol abuse are massive. Their youth underclass is huge and at the whim of people who say things like how there can't be peace without peace money. Take a drive around the border and see if anything clicks. The way they drive even just shows a complete lack of consideration for others or any sense of self-preservation.

Awful incident but should serve as a reminder to us all of what a ****hole the North really is.

Completely unfair statement here IMO. I've lived in Belfast for 10 years now and whilst the problems you list are for the most part correct I've found the people themselves to be warm and friendly. People here just get on with their lives and most are trying to move forward and make the North a good place to live. I've never once, in my 10 years here, been called anything derogatory or been made to feel like I'm not welcome here. I've never felt unsafe and never regretted moving up here.

There's trouble here like in most places and horrific tragedies like what happened last night occur every now and then but the same could be said for many other places in the world. Dublin isn't a peaceful utopia either, and neither is London so lets not say that the North is the worst place in the world to live. Yes the politicians are a joke, yes there are contentious issues that we all can't agree on, yes there are flash points and problems with drug dealers but the same can be said of most other places in the world. It's very easy for people on the outside to say that the place is a ****hole coz we murder each other but people get stabbed in London every day, people get shot in Dublin and in America. Every place has it's problems, but usually you can't properly understand a place until you live there.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,293 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

janfebmar wrote: »
    Poor girl is right, but the people rioting , throwing petrol bombs and who shot the weapon had it aimed in a certain direction, not just randomly in to a crowd. There are videos of the petrol bombs etc.

These people have no ideals, grand plans or visions. They are not visionary Republicans. Just hate filled disenfranchised kids up to their eye balls in drugs and booze.

They won't have picked out a journalist to shoot at. Just shooting at blue lights and security vehicles. I bet they couldn't even see straight.

Abject wastes of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Salthillprom

Calling themselves a member of a group, be it ‘New IRA’ or whatever, is just an excuse a bunch of yobs, thugs and murderers have come up with to try to validate the disgusting actions that they carry on with. These people are murderers and I hope that everyone who saw that poor girl being killed last night comes forward to the PSNI. I’d doubt they will, given they wouldn’t have been present at the scene unless they were involved in/sympathetic to the thuggery that went on last night. Really hope those responsible are brought to justice. RIP Lyra.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

When I saw the headline this morning I thought for a moment it was somehow a quote from years past.
    But unfortunately it's the reality of today in Derry. Underlying sectarian violence, hatred and criminal activity is very much part of 'working class' Northern Ireland. Dreadful. Deepest sympathy to that woman's family and friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    Judging by the videos shot by Leona O'Neill it looks like a lot of people were standing around the same place so it could've been anyone caught by one of the bullets fired. Absolute craziness and it's amazing that more people weren't hurt by these monsters.

Absolutely.

The intent was to kill, fired at the police and the journalists and others close by.
    The person who fired that weapon knew full well the potential consequences of their actions.

• Advertisement

Awww feck off with that. It was in Creggan the hospital is 15 mins away, the police will all have 1st aid training. There was a riot going on so add more time for the ambulance to get there. Quicker for a jeep to go.

There is no need for shoting into a crowd of people. They will know that bit just fecking no need for it.

I only question why the cops went up at night time to search. They should have gone this morning when they are all in their bed

Nancy Pallozi (sp?) was at Magee yesterday along with many others commemorating the Good Friday agreement.

Obviously the intelligence was correct as there was at least one illegal firearm which murdered Lyra.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

To be fair to the police, they showed incredible bravery once she needed help. They were under fire after all, yet still jumped out of their armoured land rover to help get her in the back and rushed to hospital.

Completely unfair statement here IMO. I've lived in Belfast for 10 years now and whilst the problems you list are for the most part correct I've found the people themselves to be warm and friendly. People here just get on with their lives and most are trying to move forward and make the North a good place to live. I've never once, in my 10 years here, been called anything derogatory or been made to feel like I'm not welcome here. I've never felt unsafe and never regretted moving up here.

Spent a lot of time in Belfast for work a few years back and the people there were incredible, far nicer than Dublin. I stayed in and frequented the east of the city most of the time, so my primary interactions were with the Unionist people but one of my closest work colleagues was a Nationalist. Both sides just got on with their lives. Derry/Londonderry and the border counties appear to be a different beast. These areas appear to have an unhealthily large section of their communities, who want to engage in terrorism; a very convenient mask for criminality in my opinion. None of the people I knew in Belfast, from either side, had a positive view of Derry/Londonderry and the border counties.

I'd move to Belfast in the morning, it's a city in which I'd quite happily raise my children. Think that says an awful lot about Belfast as a city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Yermande

A tragic punctuation mark to the recent discussion about possible unification with Northern Ireland. An absolute kip of a place. No thanks.

Nancy Pallozi (sp?) was at Magee yesterday along with many others commemorating the Good Friday agreement.

Obviously the intelligence was correct as there was at least one illegal firearm which murdered Lyra.

Yea don't go in the evening when the schools are off as a blind man would see what is going to happen.

Go as dawn breaks when they are all in their beds and those stupid facebook groups are not taking pics of the convoy of jeeps travelling somewhere.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,483 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

judeboy101 wrote: »
    No, just pointing out that its the mentality of "our island" that causes these things to happen. If people accepted that NI is in the UK, that there is no such a city as "Derry" , except in the green tinted glasses of wannabe provos, and leave the UK to sort out its own mess, maybe these things wouldn't happen.

Banned for several posts.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Berserker wrote: »
    Spent a lot of time in Belfast for work a few years back and the people there were incredible, far nicer than Dublin. I stayed in and frequented the east of the city most of the time, so my primary interactions were with the Unionist people but one of my closest work colleagues was a Nationalist. Both sides just got on with their lives. Derry/Londonderry and the border counties appear to be a different beast. These areas appear to have an unhealthily large section of their communities, who want to engage in terrorism; a very convenient mask for criminality in my opinion. None of the people I knew in Belfast, from either side, had a positive view of Derry/Londonderry and the border counties.

I'd move to Belfast in the morning, it's a city in which I'd quite happily raise my children. Think that says an awful lot about Belfast as a city.

The fear of brexit will kill jobs where we have already high unemployment and other things on the border Belfast is not on the border so will not be as hit as those areas around the border.

There's trouble here like in most places and horrific tragedies like what happened last night occur every now and then but the same could be said for many other places in the world. Dublin isn't a peaceful utopia either, and neither is London so lets not say that the North is the worst place in the world to live. Yes the politicians are a joke, yes there are contentious issues that we all can't agree on, yes there are flash points and problems with drug dealers but the same can be said of most other places in the world. It's very easy for people on the outside to say that the place is a ****hole coz we murder each other but people get stabbed in London every day, people get shot in Dublin and in America. Every place has it's problems, but usually you can't properly understand a place until you live there.

There's nice people everywhere but if a place is a ****hole it's a ****hole. There are "peace walls" everywhere. Just because you don't see something doesn't mean it's not there. Nowhere is a Utopia but across the border is a lot worse than down here. I'm a few miles from the border, I cross it at least weekly, my dad is from up there, I'm not someone reading a book or news stories. My dad wants little to do with the place aside from visiting family. Cousins still put up with **** from the RUC *ahem* sorry, PSNI.
    The detonator isn't there at the minute but all the **** is still running around.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,714 ✭✭✭✭listermint

A letter Lyra McKee penned to her 14 year old self

http://www.thepensivequill.com/2014/08/letter-to-my-14-year-old-self.html?m=0

I rarely use this blog for anything other than professional work/journalism-related matters but a number of people asked me to write a blog post summarising what I said. Someone remarked that maybe some 14 year old would read it and take hope. So I decided to write a letter to my 14 year old self, 10 years later, as a 24 year old looking back.

Kid,

It’s going to be okay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Every country/region has some bad people, but the vast vast majority of people are decent and good people, and it is the same in Northern Ireland on both sides of the divide.
    The extreme always gets the attention over what is normal.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement