Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Days Gone

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I think there's a bit of a pacing misstep straight after where you thought it was going to end. It feels a bit like starting over again with the new narrative which could have the potential to frustrate a lot of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

The game didn't really get any especially negative reviews. It has an average score of 71 on metacritic, which I'd say is pretty on point. Only a few reviews were especially negative about it.

If the game had not been as repetitive, and hadn't had the pacing issues it did, especially in the latter third then I think that score could have easily been an 8.

It's a decent game with some absolutely great moments, but it's extremely padded out and that definitely hurts it for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,904 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Having just finished horizon zero dawn which took me 3 purchases to get past the first 10 hours, i ended up loving it. I enjoyed Days Gone so much more though. Made me think about recent playthroughs of God of war and spiderman to compare the big exclusives. Days Gone was my hands down favourite from 4 epic games but it made me realise how it's not fair that other platforms don't get to experience those games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

yeah I've never been a fan of exclusitivity but am happy Sony are so much better at it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Did anyone feel that they kind of wasted the horde mechanic though? I felt it could have been used in the wider world a lot more, the way they implemented it just tucked away in 7-8 non-plot related locations made it seem like they built this really good zombie sim then didnt know what to do with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

Finished the main story last night. Did enjoy it , the fat could have been trimmed.

Still don't get why
    Sarah was so off when you go reunited, I know the camp and all that, still it seemed odd

Know there is a few side missions to mop up so will prob boot it up once more.

Once you finish the main story, it doesn't take too long to platinum the game.

yeah totally agree with your spoilered comment, it really hurt the flow of the story I thought.

The introduction of Sarah and that camp is the big flaw in the game. It felt like a hard reset of the game after the ramping up of the action at Iron Mike's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,107 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Only one trophy away from platinum and its wrecking my head. Trying to drift and use nitro for 5 seconds just never seems to work. Any tips?

• Advertisement

Only one trophy away from platinum and its wrecking my head. Trying to drift and use nitro for 5 seconds just never seems to work. Any tips?

Did you get full nitro upgrade? I had to kill multiple hordes just to get the xp to unlock them. Once you do, equip the basic tyres you start the game with, as they have the worst grip. Then find an open highway and pull some wide Donuts. I did that for a while and it eventually popped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Did you get full nitro upgrade? I had to kill multiple hordes just to get the xp to unlock them. Once you do, equip the basic tyres you start the game with, as they have the worst grip. Then find an open highway and pull some wide Donuts. I did that for a while and it eventually popped.

Same, but did it by Iron Mike's farm, nice big area. Think this is most people's last trophy to get

Changed to basic tyres and then went to chemult college. Did the horde there and was just doing random donuts and the trophy pinged. Thank god thats over.

Bend just announced New Game + mode available from Sept 13th. Probably my favourite game this generation, I could be tempted to pick this up again if I see a good sale - NG+, survivor mode and challenges...

Looking forward to picking this up again, hopefully for a swap for a game i already have or a good deal on a trade. Devs said all the 12 different challenges from last 12 weeks will stay in the game for all to use and you can use the rewards in New game plus.

https://twitter.com/BendStudio/status/1172540294870511616?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,927 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Tempted, I only really got to level 2 stuff for most weapons so there is a nice bit to unlock. Put it on a harder difficulty and roll again.

To be honest I've really missed it, nothing has come close to filling the void it left. :) Good story-driven single-player games are pretty light on the ground.

New bike tank to celebrate death stranding. Baby in the gas tank!!!

https://twitter.com/BendStudio/status/1192492150480502784?s=19

Just bought Days Gone for a 2nd time as it just went on sale today on US psn for 20 dollars (17.50 euro), happy to give that to Bend anyway. Looking forward to going through all the dlc challenges and then another playthrough on the survival difficulty.

Just bought Days Gone for a 2nd time as it just went on sale today on US psn for 20 dollars (17.50 euro), happy to give that to Bend anyway. Looking forward to going through all the dlc challenges and then another playthrough on the survival difficulty.

Aren’t game saves tied to region? Well if you’re doing a new play through you should be fine but I doubt you will be able to do new game plus on the save file from your disk copy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,038 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

20 bucks well spent.

Aren’t game saves tied to region? Well if you’re doing a new play through you should be fine but I doubt you will be able to do new game plus on the save file from your disk copy.

tenor.gif

Just popped it on and yupp, brand new save file so no ng+ for me :(

The new difficulties hard 2 and survival 2 are a bit confusing. I read survival is already very tough and 2 is meant for like ng+ when you have the upgrades to deal with a bigger challenge so not sure what to start with, maybe survival 1. I'm just glad the challenges are completely separate from the main game and have their own launch section from the main menu, think I'll be spending most of my time doing those as you can bring your upgrades you unlock there over to the main game which should help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I hate zombies. Generally they are boring and the movies they are in are all the same. I hate zombie games I hate the walking dead. But this game? this game is a seriously cool little game.

I hate zombies. Generally they are boring and the movies they are in are all the same. I hate zombie games I hate the walking dead. But this game? this game is a seriously cool little game.

the post started off like it was looking for a reaction but concluded quite well.

Survival was a pain in the balls, especially since not playing it for so long. Tried the challenges and got wrecked by the hordes. Started a new game on easy and really enjoying it. Plan is to get my bearings and five the challenges another go.

I forgot how bad the bike was at the start but glad to see so many free decals. Have a lovely Siphon Filter one but my goal is to get the death stranding BB tank.

Any one play this on Pro? I honestly can't decide whether to play with HDR on or off. On looks incredible but there's something off about the movement that I'm unsure of.

• Advertisement

I played it on the Pro and think I had it on HDR but now I think of it there was a game I played this year which suggested you should turn it off and I can't remember if it's this one. I need to play this again soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

I picked this up along with Death Stranding. Been playing Death Stranding occasionally but hasn't really grabbed me so far.

Was going to stick this on instead and maybe go back to Death Stranding after it. A 20 GB patch is taking the piss a bit though. With my crappy Internet it'll take ages to download. Was performance that bad on launch? Would I just end up frustrated playing unpatched?

for something like that I would just have it download when is standby mode or whatever it's called. Don't remember performance issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

gimli2112 wrote: »
    for something like that I would just have it download when is standby mode or whatever it's called. Don't remember performance issues.

Thanks Gimli. I always forget that's possible.

I picked this up along with Death Stranding. Been playing Death Stranding occasionally but hasn't really grabbed me so far.

Was going to stick this on instead and maybe go back to Death Stranding after it. A 20 GB patch is taking the piss a bit though. With my crappy Internet it'll take ages to download. Was performance that bad on launch? Would I just end up frustrated playing unpatched?

Every patch was always around 16gb, it was just the way they released the patches by overriding the previous patch file. The latest patch should be the last one for a while

• Advertisement

I thought i would dip in and out of this, want sure if a 2nd playthrough would grab me but loving it all over again. Even on easy mode, freakers can overwhelm you in numbers so it's not a cake walk. Looking forward to getting to Mike's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭dudeeile

Started this the other day, ran like ass for the first few hours but that has improved but still some serious glitching on the pro, is this common?

On the other hand, now that I've got a grasp on how things work I'm absolutely in love with it.

I didn't notice any problems with the pro but you're not the first to mention it. I'm standard to think my standards are an awful lot lower than the rest of you.

Ah it's way beyond that, I could hear the helicopter and see the search light but there was no helicopter to be seen, same thing happened with some animals.

dudeeile wrote: »
    Ah it's way beyond that, I could hear the helicopter and see the search light but there was no helicopter to be seen, same thing happened with some animals.

I got the same thing, one of the first missions right? Then i found the stash of drugs and dropped them before getting to my bike and they feel through the map. Had to die to and reload check point. Never had those glitches on launch.

That's the one.

Then last night I was unable to distract with rocks and had to reload twice to sort it.

That's the one.

Then last night I was unable to distract with rocks and had to reload twice to sort it.

I remember having that playing when it was just released. Also binoculars not always working. And one mission later on when you had to go in a cave but cave was blocked. Always fixed after reloading, annoying but not game destroying (at least not for me as I was loving the rest of the game so much)

I had the binocular glitch last night, I read that this was around since at least 1.05 and I think we're at 1.6 now! The devs even commented on it but probably too much work to fix for the small number experiencing the bug, I had to exit the game and restart to finally clear it.

I've also seen plenty of birds just flying on the spot, even inside buildings.

Managed to fill my bike from a fuel pump for the first time! I always thought you had to fill from the red canisters, most of my fuel worries are now ended.

Anyone know if the patch cycle for this has finished yet or are there more patches to come? Not buying this until final patch is out.

I'd say they're done, already patched the balls out of it. They might still release a patch of enough people complain about something but I'd say they're done. Go for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,927 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

It prob the GOTY from last year and 70 hours long, it's well worth full price.

• Advertisement

The devs have NOT sorted all bugs, far from it. I still finshed the story the other day and I'm gonna continue to play, it's that good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,038 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Meh, I don't measure the value of a game by it's length. Days Gone had many bugs which the devs have smoothed out throughout it's cycle but when a game launches with that many problems I don't spend more than £20 on it on principle if there are still issues. It's definitely on my wish list though. Another few months and I'll take the plunge.
    €29.99 on the PlayStation Store. Take the plunge now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Late to the game here. After having to share my 5 yr old PS4 with the wife...well it became hers....I'd built up a fair collection of games I really wanted to play on the platform (I'm a PC master race guy first, sorry it's just the controller and how games are written to compensate for it). Also after suffering serious game fatigue for about a year (sue me I've been gaming since they were on tapes) I ended up buying my own PS4 Pro a few months back with the express wish to play exclusives and (including PC) games I wouldn't normally play.
    So I've been very lucky for the last few months. Death Stranding, God of War, Control (PC) and now this (almost finished I think).

I really love it. Yes some glitches remain, but they are minor. The main game is so brilliantly written, the dialogue/voice acting and animation per character so absolutely faultless that even though you can see it clearly as a love child between Left For Dead and Far Cry it doesn't matter, it draws you in completely. There are no side missions simply because every one is so well handled, and delivered via radio as you set out to do something else so that it never seems like you are simply Q'ing for XP, it all flows. And the writing for the main and secondary characters is simply superb. My previous bar for this was The Witcher 3, but Rikki, Iron Mike, your love interest...every part of their interactions rings true and is so gripping for it.
    Beyond that the soundtrack is stunning (listening to it now on tidal), the visuals are very good but tbh are not as fluid FPS wise as I would expect.
    Combat is as good as it can be with a controller and the hordes are a blast. Though for the latter my only complaint is how some of the most difficult are hidden behind later missions and don't offer the payback, or warning in advance, that they should
    E.g. the Lost Lake saw mill horde, had tremendous fun for 20 mins running and gunning all 400 of them only to have no clearing confirmation, then went online to find out they only tick that box when done as a later mission

my main gripe about the game is it probably goes on a little long, if you think you're nearly finished you're probably not

gimli2112 wrote: »
    my main gripe about the game is it probably goes on a little long, if you think you're nearly finished you're probably not

Very true, I've been at that point for the last 3 nights, thinking that 'today-is-the-day' then something else happens. But at the same time I'm not fatigued by it, the story has changed and advanced enough along the way that I'm still looking forward to the next session. And when I start to get bored it's horde pew-pew time. The fact that so little of the game feels like side-mission filler (bounty hunts excepted) means that to me this feels like one of the biggest core story driven games I've ever played. I've spent longer in others but mentally always file them into segments of story vs. non. Again the only thing that comes close for the expanse of main story is TW3 imho.

I found the hordes tedious, I understand doing a few for the story but not on the side, too much farming for materials before and after, loved the bounty hunter stuff though as it can all be done with stealth if you're low on supplies.

I found the hordes tedious, I understand doing a few for the story but not on the side, too much farming for materials before and after, loved the bounty hunter stuff though as it can all be done with stealth if you're low on supplies.

I actually appreciate that they will use up resources, it forces me out of the end-game demi-god zone back to some early game necessities. I need to think before engaging one as there will be a cost even for success. Also they are the least predictable events in the game, sometimes it goes to plan and then sometimes my well laid annihilation plans get waylaid by a pack of runners that send me dashing through a marauder camp with hell behind me. There's always some tension.
    I liked the bounty hunts initially but they get so easy past midway, zero tension. But I've all of them done at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

Meh, I don't measure the value of a game by it's length. Days Gone had many bugs which the devs have smoothed out throughout it's cycle but when a game launches with that many problems I don't spend more than £20 on it on principle if there are still issues. It's definitely on my wish list though. Another few months and I'll take the plunge.

Good call on the length, and in fact I would say this game is a prime example of a game that has such a long playtime that it is actually to its detriment. There are at least two narrative beats that feel like perfect points to call time on the game where you will genuinely think it is finished....only to realise that you're perhaps only 60% of the way through and have a couple of stretches filled with mindless busywork which you will have thought you left behind in the first half of the game.

It's a solid game, but the final third (for me personally) really diluted the experience. So many of the late game quests feel like artificial padding just so the devs could say "come and look at our game, it's 60 hours long!", and the story loses so much steam at one point I struggled to push through the particular stretch I'm thinking of.

As you can see from other posts though, the issues that bogged the experience down for me didn't bother others, so for that reason I would encourage everyone to give it a go at some point, even if I do think some of the gushing over it and dismissal of its problems can be borderline hyperbolic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭bot43

I am slowly going insane with the Chemult Horde. I can get about 50% of them before getting torn to shreds. Ive gone back into the open world to do some side missions to level up a bit in the hopes that will help. Think Im at level 28 as is.

• Advertisement

bot43 wrote: »
    I am slowly going insane with the Chemult Horde. I can get about 50% of them before getting torn to shreds. Ive gone back into the open world to do some side missions to level up a bit in the hopes that will help. Think Im at level 28 as is.

That's the 1st story mission where you have to beat a horde right? I remember that was a tough bitch to do and took me a good few goes, scraped it in the end so just keep at it. Levelling up stamina is so important for taking on the horde. As soon as you start slowing down, you're toast. There's a few tips videos for beating it on youtube likeleading them out to the edge of the area where they start turning back allowing you to take on small groups at a time.

Advertisement