Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Days Gone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I had to do that once and I noped out of the tunnel, decided to do an activity on the map that didn't require me to go through that tunnel. I love horror games/films and didn't even find Resi 2 as tense as this game. I love it!

Resi 2 left me twisted.

And on another note, I much prefer playing Days Gone with headphones. Provides a better experience in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

I think this "terrible AI" is being exaggerated IMO.
    There is the odd bug with path-finding which they seem to be addressing.
    The horde AI in particular is great I think

Zombie hordes don't seem to find me appealing so unfortunately I cannot speak to their AI!

I'm more on about the humans than anything, with zombies I can suspend disbelief and just assume they're thick as a ditch. From my experience at least, humans don't seem to flee when taking damage, nor are they particularly good at searching for you once you break line of site at all.

Use the bolts that make enemies turn on each other to see how bad the AI can be. I used one on a ripper last night, It ended up with one ripper in cover behind a car whilst the other ripper who I had hit with the dart stood at the other side inches away, blindly firing his pistol at the door of the car. I let this go on for a couple of mins to see would either of them make a move or change their behaviour in the slightest, but nope, the aggressor just continued his assault on the car door without making any move to try and maneuver into a better position, whilst the other guy was seemingly happy to resign himself to spending the rest of his life huddled behind this car door (despite being equipped with a huge shotgun that quite clearly trumped the arsenal of his formidable foe).

It's also quite easy to use stealth to dispatch enemies in front of each other with little to no consequence, and too often I've been able to zip across camps from bush to bush, making as much noise as possible and directly crossing lines of site without getting attention.

If calling that terrible AI is "exaggerating", then I am perfectly happy to be called a bull****ter.

Maybe my experience is different to the rest (though I doubt it if you have a read of the forums etc.), and like I said I'm enjoying the game somewhat now that other issues aren't as problematic, but I'm still going to call a spade a spade here, and that AI is dogsh!t.

Hey sorry if it came across passive aggressive which it wasn't intended to be.

I am just speaking of my experience

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,950 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

gimli2112 wrote: »
    they said that about Aloy in Horizon Zero Dawn and I thought she was awesome, more that she was dull I guess
    Joel's a fairly heinous individual yet everyone seems to love him

Joel was pretty heinous but he also had depth which made him a great and relatable character as opposed to Aloy who was a total Mary Sue. Can't comment on Deacon.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

Hey sorry if it came across passive aggressive which it wasn't intended to be.

I am just speaking of my experience

Nah it's cool, and likewise if I came across dickish that wasn't my intent. I was more ridiculing some of the sights I've come across.

To be fair I think with games of this scope people's experiences can vary wildly. Some people have really ****ty luck and run into issue after issue, whereas things can appear perfect for others.

I'm glad I'm starting to get into it. Colin Moriarty has a great review if it up on YouTube at the moment, explains how he felt completely different about the game after 20 hours compared to how he felt after 5, and I feel like that's exactly what I'm experiencing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Some big downgrades here.
    Don't forget to buy Days Gone: Remastered in 2021 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

Some big downgrades here.
    Don't forget to buy Days Gone: Remastered in 2021 :pac:

This from the people who brought you the Killzone 2 E3 2005 trailer? I don't believe it*

*I absolutely believe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,576 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Ah he could have started the 2019 video under the same weather conditions at least. 2016 looks like sunrise, lovely sunny glow in everything. 2019, snowy, everything in a light grey. Will watch another bit later but comparison videos should try match up the same conditions as the original.

Definite downgrades. The suppressor is weird just sitting there as any I've found I've had to lift the good. I haven't tried but maybe you can't search trucks (I've only tried cars) so they placed it there as it will be needed. Strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

After Sekiro I'm in the middle of Spiderman(late to the party but was waiting for a sale) but definitely pickim this up in the next week or so!

The sound design on the weapons, I think is fantastic.

Lovely ping off the silencer in open spaces. Especially when using with focus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,792 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Number 1 indicator that someone knows F all about game development is that E3 comparison crap and giving devs a hard time over it.

Of course it's a downgrade. A trailer is a small slice, you can put loads into it that just doesn't scale when you try to put it into the full game. Even Dev kits are way more powerful than retail consoles so can run much higher quality. So you have to cut stuff to get it to work on retail devices.

Imagine asking someone to draw a 6 inch straight line free hand. They could do a pretty good job. Then ask them to draw a straight line a mile long. It would be impossible to maintain the same quality at scale. That's pretty much game development on titles this size. But that's what people expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,792 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

goon_magee wrote: »

I'm glad I'm starting to get into it. Colin Moriarty has a great review if it up on YouTube at the moment, explains how he felt completely different about the game after 20 hours compared to how he felt after 5, and I feel like that's exactly what I'm experiencing.

Watched it there great review. Calls out its fault (which it has) but gives it a fair shot and likes it.

It's Bend's first big console game and is unfairly compared to the other PS exclusives that had much bigger, more experienced, teams working on them with bigger budgets.

I think they made a great game.

Cruising along on my machine without a care in the world, I came flying off it very before I could even blink. Enemies had a wire going across a road (a good bit above the road) and I hit it. I woke up dazed and confused with two enemies gunning for me so I sorted my sh1t out and dealt with two fcukers.

I love this game.

Checked again and I still don't have my bike preorder fuel tank, shroud or nitro. I can see them but I have to pay for my tank as I unlocked the level in the camp and the other 2 are locked behind level 2. Really weird.

The games pace has ramped up significantly too.

I can't believe the story isn't getting more praise.

Even the side missions have a value and a purpose.

As for the freakers. Let's just say they have doubled in numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,516 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Am convinced to get the game following all these comments! :)

Absolutely loving it. Clearing freaker infestation zones should be some usual open world busy work but any I've done so far is really tense and completely unpredictable. I always end up burning rubber outta there sweating about what just happened.

Early choice question.
    did ye give the drugs to Copeland or tucker? I pick Cope as it said about fixing up my bike. He even said check with Manny but nothing new there. Was there supposed to be a specific reward?

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Absolutely loving it. Clearing freaker infestation zones should be some usual open world busy work but any I've done so far is really tense and completely unpredictable. I always end up burning rubber outta there sweating about what just happened.

Early choice question.
    did ye give the drugs to Copeland or tucker? I pick Cope as it said about fixing up my bike. He even said check with Manny but nothing new there. Was there supposed to be a specific reward?
    I gave the drugs to Tucker.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

watched a video this morning of some freaker boss fight, not sure of the difficulty level but man it looks rough, very little room for error.
    I like how the upgrades work although I guess that's standard fare for these kind of games

watched a video this morning of some freaker boss fight, not sure of the difficulty level but man it looks rough, very little room for error.
    I like how the upgrades work although I guess that's standard fare for these kind of games

Done it last night. It's probably considered a minor spoiler but all I will say is I'm playing on hard and I died in the game a few times :pac:

• Advertisement

the one thing that occurred to me while watching it was I hope you can change the difficulty levels during the game
    health didn't seem to last long, at one point with his health low the dude fell off a roof into the middle of them
    it was a relatively long fight around ten minutes, that's a long time when any kind of bs can get you killed

the one thing that occurred to me while watching it was I hope you can change the difficulty levels during the game
    health didn't seem to last long, at one point with his health low the dude fell off a roof into the middle of them
    it was a relatively long fight around ten minutes, that's a long time when any kind of bs can get you killed

If you start on hard you can't change it.
    But then you should invest finding the Nero research sites and buffing your health.
    Honestly though don't play the game on normal. Once you start getting better weapons and skills ect it's finely balanced.

I hear later game normal is too easy and destroys the tension.

I'm not a fan of raising the difficulty levels before I know what I'm getting myself into. I'm prepared to suffer the disdain of the gaming community as a consequence.
    Kind of got lulled into a false sense of security after platinuming Bloodbourne, started God of War on a harder difficulty. All was going well and then I stumbled upon a Valkeryie.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Manning3000

After all the Meh reviews I was turned off this, but this thread is twisting my arm.

Is it just me or is it not on sale in Argos. Where is the best place price wise to pick up a physical copy???

After all the Meh reviews I was turned off this, but this thread is twisting my arm.

Is it just me or is it not on sale in Argos. Where is the best place price wise to pick up a physical copy???

Argos is a strange one, couldn't find it on the website but it's on their in-store computer, 60 quid last I checked. 60 in Smyths as well.

As for the game, I'm loving it. If I didn't have this pre-ordered (cheaply with Gamestop) I probably would have passed because of reviews but I'm so glad I got it day one. Fun openworld, survival elements, terror around every corner. I love the bike. I don't think I could go back to the horse in RDR after this.

The inside of the microwave ovens in the game are very detailed. You got the turntable and those ventilation holes in the cooking chamber like a real microwave. Amazeballs :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Manning3000

That's it the microwave swung me. Just ordered for click and collect from Smyths.

That's tonight sorted. I will have a good read through this thread now for tips.

Patch 1.06 is live, not sure what it fixes just yet.

That's it the microwave swung me. Just ordered for click and collect from Smyths.

That's tonight sorted. I will have a good read through this thread now for tips.

giphy.gif

Next up.....

Gimli is typing....

• Advertisement

I'm already getting up at 4 in the morning to play the division. If I get this now I'm going to have to formally admit to a professional I have a problem.

Advertisement