Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on coal....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭funnyname

Probably cheaper to pay in sterling via a revolt card or similar as sterling is taking a hammering.
    vectra wrote: »
    Just saw this on Coal warehouse page on FB

*Current Price list as follows:*

Slack - €130 per tonne
    Singles - €155 per tonne
    Polish - €180 per tonne
    Black diamond €210 per tonne
    Doubles - €180 per tonne
    Columbian - €250 per tonne
    Union Nuggets - €250 per tonne
    smokeless ovoids - €280 per tonne
    Country blend - €280 per tonne
    Clearflame - €280 per tonne

Please note these prices are special offer and will be reviewed at the end of the month.
    Thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Slack - ?110, Singles - ?135, Doubles - ?155, Polish - -?155, Black Diamond - ?180, Ovoids - ?240, Countryblend - ?240, Clearflame - ?240 and Union Nuggets - ?215

Someone asked for UKP pricing......

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

funnyname wrote: »
    Probably cheaper to pay in sterling via a revolt card or similar as sterling is taking a hammering.

When I ordered last week there was less than €2 differential between ordering in Euro versus Sterling, the Euro price was cheaper.
    This was comparing to Visa Europe exchange rates on the day with the 1.75bank conversion fee...

Transport was sterling so paid that in sterling.

PS The smokeless ovoids have been €280 since February at least

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭vectra

slave1 wrote: »

PS The smokeless ovoids have been €280 since February at least

Have you compared the ovoids to what we get down this side ?

I use ovoids and wouldnt mind getting a ton down, Just curious as to how they compare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I use ovoids and wouldnt mind getting a ton down, Just curious as to how they compare.

You'll find pages and pages of posts with similar questions and answers. In short the ovoids are good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

mikeecho wrote: »
    Simple.. order 2T this year, and 1T next year, and 1T the following year.

I got 1T last yr, more than enough for me, I'll get another 1T this year, and none next year.

Does coal have a "use by date" i.e. will it burn as good in five yrs time as it will now.?

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    Does coal have a "use by date" i.e. will it burn as good in five yrs time as it will now.?

ROTFL - Its prehistoric, millions of years old, I think you may find it has quite a long best before date :pac:

my3cents wrote: »
    You'll find pages and pages of posts with similar questions and answers. In short the ovoids are good.

You are probably correct.
    But it is so simple to give a civil answer instead of acting like a King on a high horse.
    Thanks anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭frankz

You are probably correct.
    But it is so simple to give a civil answer instead of acting like a King on a high horse.
    Thanks anyway

I took it as a justification and identified source for the answer (if someone wanted to check the veracity of the answer) rather than any high horse.

With regard to the prices from their facebook page - that is just the standard post they have up most months.

Ordered late Tuesday afternoon and delivered Friday morning, I just piled up the bags out the back and left it at that, it will be October before I go near them, by all accounts the feedback is these are the ones to go for, I've a Stanley Erin stove with boiler heating 9-11 rads and previously used Cosy Glow ovoids from local supplier so this is my first foray up North...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

slave1 wrote: »
    Ordered late Tuesday afternoon and delivered Friday morning, I just piled up the bags out the back and left it at that, it will be October before I go near them, by all accounts the feedback is these are the ones to go for, I've a Stanley Erin stove with boiler heating 9-11 rads and previously used Cosy Glow ovoids from local supplier so this is my first foray up North...

If you leave them outside the bags they disintegrate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭DANNY2014

Would they mix a tonne as in half a tonne for stove half for open fire and if so which two are best options... I'm thinking smokeless ovoids (stove) and polish/doubles (open fire)...

DANNY2014 wrote: »
    Would they mix a tonne as in half a tonne for stove half for open fire and if so which two are best options... I'm thinking smokeless ovoids (stove) and polish/doubles (open fire)...

They'll mix and match however way you want. I asked about 20kg bags for coal that came in 40kg bags and they said thats OK we will rebag it for you.

You can get less than a tonne if you want but you'll still pay the same amount for delivery because you are paying for a pallet to be delivered up to a tonne in weight.

sword1 wrote: »

Out the back and covered in a closed in fuel storage area;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭taytobreath

sword1 wrote: »

they never disintegrated for me

they never disintegrated for me

Depends how much sun they get on them? In full sun the bags on the top and sides where exposed to the sun go brittle and disintegrate. I wouldn't expect any of the bags to last more the 12 months in full sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭pm.

my3cents wrote: »
    Depends how much sun they get on them? In full sun the bags on the top and sides where exposed to the sun go brittle and disintegrate. I wouldn't expect any of the bags to last more the 12 months in full sun.

Spot on the bags break down over time... its head wrecking tbh when you need to move them after a few months

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

If they have to be left outside then a cheap tarp will stop them disintegrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭2forjoy

Be careful if you have nuggets or any product with nuggets in the bag . These are made from lignite and easily ignite especially in warm weather.

Just looking there.
    Kozyking,
    Tonne of Smokeless blend £249 + £19.99 deliver to southern Ireland. = less than €300 from what I can calculate. HERE
    This stuff as good as ovoids?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭deisedav

Just looking there.
    Kozyking,
    Tonne of Smokeless blend £249 + £19.99 deliver to southern Ireland. = less than €300 from what I can calculate. HERE
    This stuff as good as ovoids?

No way. It will burn hotter but I wouldn't use it. I'm pretty sure there is pet coke in that blend and that destroys the baffles in stoves / fire grates as it burns too hot. Saying that some people swear by the stuff

deisedav wrote: »
    No way. It will burn hotter but I wouldn't use it. I'm pretty sure there is pet coke in that blend and that destroys the baffles in stoves / fire grates as it burns too hot. Saying that some people swear by the stuff

I have an open firs / backboiler which works grand with ovoids. I just find it takes a bit of time to get going.
    So I was thinking a Tonne of the above and a tonne of ovoids?

Have a open fire myself. I find the ovoids work good for me with some dry wood

I'm sure some of the other knowledgeable people here could advise you better then I could

Have a open fire myself. I find the ovoids work good for me with some dry wood

I gave up on buying blocks. Dont really get the same heat from them for the cost.

Did you ever try some kiln dried ash/beech. The heat from them is pretty impressive but as you said can be expensive

Did you ever try some kiln dried ash/beech. The heat from them is pretty impressive but as you said can be expensive

I did indeed.
    I find they burn out too fast and produce less heat than ovoids. tbh.

I did indeed.
    I find they burn out too fast and produce less heat than ovoids. tbh.

Never found that myself but fair enough. Because the wood has less water it gets lighting faster then seasoned wood. I put a log in when I'm lighting the fire as the ovoids need a bit of a kick in the arse to get going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

Ordered another tonne of ovoids from CW so im sorted for the winter.

Question: gonna order a tonne of coal for my mam who has an open fire (no back boiler in use) so any recommendations?

(ps) CW throw in 2x25kg bags of slack with every tonne/pallet ordered ..nice little surprise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Ordered another tonne of ovoids from CW so im sorted for the winter.

Question: gonna order a tonne of coal for my mam who has an open fire (no back boiler in use) so any recommendations?

(ps) CW throw in 2x25kg bags of slack with every tonne/pallet ordered ..nice little surprise.

Black diamond

Advertisement