Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on coal....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Got a ton of Ovoids in October 2015 down to the last six bags which should see me out for this winter. I stored them in the shed on the premise that they were best kept out of sight and dry. However, this winter they have become bone dry and very dusty. Just wondering where the best place to store them would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

I got a half tonne of maxibrite in week 3 of October. I took 12 bags of 20kg. On last bag. The inlaws also on last bag. Just ordered another half tonne. That should well last the rest of the cold weather after being split.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭2forjoy

goz83 wrote: »
    I got a half tonne of maxibrite in week 3 of October. I took 12 bags of 20kg. On last bag. The inlaws also on last bag. Just ordered another half tonne. That should well last the rest of the cold weather after being split.

what is this ?

2forjoy wrote: »
    what is this ?

A successful bargain being repeated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

A successful bargain being repeated

So you didn't want a full tonne?

• Advertisement

my3cents wrote: »
    So you didn't want a full tonne?

No. I now know that a half tonne will do me over the cold months.

Next time I order will be October/November and then it will be a tonne, but that will be split in half too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,052 ✭✭✭bigroad

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Got a ton of Ovoids in October 2015 down to the last six bags which should see me out for this winter. I stored them in the shed on the premise that they were best kept out of sight and dry. However, this winter they have become bone dry and very dusty. Just wondering where the best place to store them would be.
    I am in the same boat as yourself ,took a look in my bunker the other day and it looks like just over six bags.
    If i get to the end of Feb with this lot i will be happy.
    It has worked out using about 5 bags a month on average.
    Depending on the March weather i will buy another 4 bags at about 15 yoyo local.
    That leaves the winter fuel bill at 400 quid for a warm house and hot water.
    Very impressed with the coal warehouse ovoids.
    I will order another load at the end of the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,836 ✭✭✭enricoh

Just said I post this as I reckon it's important.
    I bought a ton of black diamond polish coal from coal warehouse a few months ago. I clean the chimney every January but this year the amount of soot was unreal. Worryingly so, in my opinion.

I was happy with the coal, burns well n good heat etc. But when I finish the ton that I got I reckon I'll go back to my local guy. An extra e4.50 a bag but more peace of mind.

enricoh wrote: »
    I bought a ton of black diamond polish coal from coal warehouse a few months ago. I clean the chimney every January but this year the amount of soot was unreal. Worryingly so, in my opinion.

I was happy with the coal, burns well n good heat etc. But when I finish the ton that I got I reckon I'll go back to my local guy. An extra e4.50 a bag but more peace of mind.

Ive been using a mix of the Polish and the Ovoids. I definitely will not be buying the cheapest Polish coal again. It is filthy stuff. I had my chimney cleaned in September and have had to call the chimney sweep around again to clean it. Little balls of back soot flow freely from the chimney when first lit creating a covering on the footpaths and car. The chimney pot is black too.
    Ive also had a neighbour comment on what I was burning as the smoke is dense and very thick.

The Polish I got this year too were small bitty pieces compared to before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

enricoh wrote: »

Don't see the problem you should if you are burning that much coal you should be sweeping your chimney twice a year anyway.

• Advertisement

Got an email from kosyking.com with €12 (£10) off coal in Feb. Code is MONEYOFF10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Just a quick note of thanks to the OP (all that time ago). Ordered a mixed tonne of Black Diamond and Smokeless ovoids today.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Foggy Jew

Roen wrote: »
    Just a quick note of thanks to the OP (all that time ago). Ordered a mixed tonne of Black Diamond and Smokeless ovoids today.

Happy to have been of help! (I reckon the Coal Warehouse owes me a free tonne!).

It's the bally ballyness of it that makes it all seem so bally bally.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Got an email from kosyking.com with €12 (£10) off coal in Feb. Code is MONEYOFF10.

And whats Kosyking's best coal i.e. smoky coal for open fire? EMERALD Coal ???

Can't see where the coupon code should go? all details in then straight to realex for payment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

vicwatson wrote: »
    Can't see where the coupon code should go? all details in then straight to realex for payment

When you click on your shopping cart just under the product it says

WHAT WOULD YOU LIKE TO DO NEXT?

Choose if you have a discount code or gift voucher you want to use.

Use Coupon Code

Use Gift Voucher

TheTorment wrote: »
    Ive been using a mix of the Polish and the Ovoids. I definitely will not be buying the cheapest Polish coal again. It is filthy stuff. I had my chimney cleaned in September and have had to call the chimney sweep around again to clean it. Little balls of back soot flow freely from the chimney when first lit creating a covering on the footpaths and car. The chimney pot is black too.
    Ive also had a neighbour comment on what I was burning as the smoke is dense and very thick.

The Polish I got this year too were small bitty pieces compared to before.

Ive enough of that Polish coal. Little bitty bits, lots of stones but most of all it is filthy.

Ive had the chimney sweep in and his comment was; "only for Id cleaned it(chimney) myself last September Id refuse to believe that it had been cleaned in a couple of years."

And Im using a mix of Polish and Ovoids. Ive enough of both to see me out till next winter but come then I will be looking at a different alternative. Yes it is cheaper but the quality of that Polish coal is cheap too in my opinion.

TheTorment wrote: »
    Ive enough of that Polish coal. Little bitty bits, lots of stones but most of all it is filthy.

Ive had the chimney sweep in and his comment was; "only for Id cleaned it(chimney) myself last September Id refuse to believe that it had been cleaned in a couple of years."

And Im using a mix of Polish and Ovoids. Ive enough of both to see me out till next winter but come then I will be looking at a different alternative. Yes it is cheaper but the quality of that Polish coal is cheap too in my opinion.

Is it the black Diamond or the cheaper Polish stuff?
    I'm burning a mix of black Diamond and smokeless ovoids and it's fair smoky getting going but burns clean before long.

I don't have a lot to go on as I've had gas fires for the past twenty years. This is the first season I've burned coal since then.

Had a few bags of the Staffords premium Polish stuff and can't say I'm noticing a huge difference between the diamond and the premium.
    That said I wasn't looking out for anything in particular with the Staffords.

Quick edit. There's a few bits in the diamond bags that are big as my head. Like proper railway coal you'd see in the old movies getting fed into train boilers. Most of it is palm sized or thereabouts though.

Roen wrote: »
    Is it the black Diamond or the cheaper Polish stuff?
    I'm burning a mix of black Diamond and smokeless ovoids and it's fair smoky getting going but burns clean before long.

I don't have a lot to go on as I've had gas fires for the past twenty years. This is the first season I've burned coal since then.

Had a few bags of the Staffords premium Polish stuff and can't say I'm noticing a huge difference between the diamond and the premium.
    That said I wasn't looking out for anything in particular with the Staffords.

Quick edit. There's a few bits in the diamond bags that are big as my head. Like proper railway coal you'd see in the old movies getting fed into train boilers. Most of it is palm sized or thereabouts though.

Its the cheaper Polish stuff not Black Diamond. Its tiny bits smoky, filthy and bags are full of dust.

I might look at BD or just ovoids next winter or indeed something else.

The Polish from Coal Warehouse is crap, I got it last winter and never again, this year I went with BD, the BD is smokey to begin alright.

Best stuff around is Staffords Premium (Silver bag), but at nearly €20.00 per 40kgs vs €12.00 for 40kgs Black Diamond from Coal Warehouse - I'll stick with the BD, the Staffords is not €8.00 per bag better IMO

• Advertisement

Cheers lads. I'm slowly rediscovering my childhood fireplace wise.
    I was asking your one on the phone in CW about the Colombian stuff being the dearest and she said that she couldn't see the difference between that and the Black Diamond. Reckoned you should go for the BD.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,766 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

what do people recommend for a smokeless area (open fire) - I've been using BnM Ovoids recently, there's good heat out of them but they tend to smoulder rather than burn and in the morning there's loads of them left in the grate as embers. I tried the "lignite blend" but its not as hot and sparks a lot. Briquettes produce hardly any heat - is there any decent smokeless option?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭screamer

loyatemu wrote: »
    what do people recommend for a smokeless area (open fire) - I've been using BnM Ovoids recently, there's good heat out of them but they tend to smoulder rather than burn and in the morning there's loads of them left in the grate as embers. I tried the "lignite blend" but its not as hot and sparks a lot. Briquettes produce hardly any heat - is there any decent smokeless option?

From the suppliers in the North I can't comment as I've never bought from them. For stuff here in the south, best ovoids bar none are called supertherm by CPL fuels. Lots of residual heat, great for overnight burning and burn right out to ash. They're 19 euro a bag in my local hardware shop so not cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

loyatemu wrote: »

I use the smokeless ovoids from coal warehouse in a stove. Just dust is left afterwards. Good heat and last ages

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

Anyone use ovoids called blazer in the yellow bag. 15 euro in the local.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Anyone use ovoids called blazer in the yellow bag. 15 euro in the local.

In my stove as I type,I use them all the time.My local place now has them in 20kg bags too,handier to carry to the coal bunker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

zerks wrote: »
    In my stove as I type,I use them all the time.My local place now has them in 20kg bags too,handier to carry to the coal bunker.

Are they any dearer that way? I find them good as I only heard of ovoids here there the only ones I've used

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Are they any dearer that way? I find them good as I only heard of ovoids here there the only ones I've used

Works out the same price,€7.50 per 20 kg bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭bigron2109

Anyone use the Polish Coal from Kosy King in a stove ?

Got a couple of bags today and I am just wondering what it is like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭deisedav

Sure give her a burn and see for yourself.

Advertisement