Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on coal....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eiei0

which is the best for heat ???
    2forjoy wrote: »
    To compare ovoids with polish coal,you are talking chalk and cheese .

I have a suspicion that the CW ovoids are manufactured in Arigna .

For last post above , i always thought that build up of soot was caused more by timber than coal . Am I wrong ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

eiei0 wrote: »
    which is the best for heat ???

Ovoids - I think they contain a bit of pet coke (petroleum coke) and some anthracite in the the mix.

Edit> Can't find anything better so try this pdf http://www.seai.ie/Publications/Statistics_Publications/Fuel_Cost_Comparison/Domestic-Fuel-Cost-Comparisons.pdf and compare the Gross Calorific Value for a tonne divided by 1000 to give the Calorific Value of a kg

Premium Coal comes out as about 8.3 Kw per Kg and Ovoids 8.8 Kw per Kg.

Another table comparing solid fuel heat output http://www.cplfuels.ie/save-money-with-smokeless-fuels

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭2forjoy

deisedav wrote: »
    You like paying 20 quid plus for a bag of coal Walter, which is what it costs where I live

A bag of ovoids in the North is £21 ,see this website http://kingsberryfuels.com/coal/?gclid=CKzR6dXR-9ACFUy77QodYTACkw

So the savings are there because you buying a tonne .

You ask you local merchant for a tonne and you will save too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

If you are looking for quick heat i think the polish is better but for a longer lasting easier clean fire ovoids

A bag of ovoids in the North is £21 ,see this website http://kingsberryfuels.com/coal/?gclid=CKzR6dXR-9ACFUy77QodYTACkw

My local merchant is looking for €425 per tonne of Staffords coal. Not even sure which bag it is.
    I get a mixed tonne of 13 ovoids and 12 polish for €290 delivered. That's a fair decent saving of €135.
    That's why I buy from the North.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

Walter2016 wrote: »
    A tiny bit of shopping around will it far cheaper.

Want convenience, you pay a premium no matter what the item and no matter where you are.

A little checking sees 40kg black Diamond for €14.50 in ABS diy on the Killeen road.

Also remember that in NI they charge less taxes because they give feck all to the unemployed, the retired and those with disabilities.

This is about coal not unemployment benefits.you forgot to mention majority of us pay 50 to 60 euros to see a doctor. In ni its free. I wouldnt even try to start on this as you are on a losing battle. Now lets get back onto the price of coal discussion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

Kosyking have a tenner discount with KOSYKING10 valid till new year. It stacks on the special offers as well...

http://www.kosyking.com/index.php?route=product/special

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Those are 50kg bags.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭septicsac

King coal bag of stovoids in south 20€, but 12£ from their site in the north, so not just savings on bulk buys

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

Walter2016 wrote: »
    You can't really compare single bag price versus bulk one tonne price and claim xx savings.

That's rose tinted glasses way of doing it.

Easy to get one tonne stoveheat delivered for €420 by Quinns and probably others. (kildare, wicklow and carlow €20 for one 40kg bag, €54 for 3 bags, €100 for 6 bags).

To see real savings, always compare like with like. Otherwise you could buy a 2l bottle of coke and claim €3 saving from 4x500ml on the next shelf.

I prefer to buy 3 bags house coal at a time (open fire) + 2 briquettes + kindling for €50. Fills the coal bunker and easily collected in the car.

OK maybe i drilled it down a little too much, but i did do macro and micro comparisons.

maybe just me; I like to show savings when buying bulk and by the bag, also my post highlighted the difference in quality of the coals which when it comes to value added was more than anything i could but into numbers.

also btw some folk wouldn't mind buying 4x500ml bottles of Coke to make a savings on a 2lt of coke :cool: ..not frugal - just smart

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

Satriale wrote: »
    Kosyking have a tenner discount with KOSYKING10 valid till new year. It stacks on the special offers as well...

http://www.kosyking.com/index.php?route=product/special

Update/review on this.
    Using the House Gold coal now (open fire, back boiler), seems a fairly good quality for the price. very few stones, good heat, bit of ash left but not excessive.

I thought id never get to the end of the last Coal warehouse pallet from last year, It was my second mixed load from them the first ton was brilliant, the second pure crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I bought 3 bags of ovoids and a bag of house coal locally in Enniscorthy yesterday. Came to €61.
    Another place sells lignite nuggets at €14.50 a bag,they are OK mixed with coal but on their own you wouldn't be long burning through a bag of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Hey guys, just checking to see what everyone else is using, I bought a tonne of coal and got delivered 18 November. 50 x 10kg

I gave about 5 away to friends so 45 left, have circa 10-15 bags left so going to place an order this time with Coal Warehouse and compare them

Just checking would everyone else use this much coal over this period?

I want to order now as I want to compare the KK and Coal warehouse.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

Ordered 10 bags of 25kg slack and 38 bags of 20kg smokeless ovoids from coal warehouse on Monday at 10am 300 euro all in. Pallet arrived in co limerick at 2pm the following day. They gave me two free bags of slack which was a nice touch. Delivery guy rang and he placed the pallet off the road and at front of house for me. Driveway is steep and tarmaced. Tried the ovoids last night. Very impressed. Great heat and burned out completely. Will buy from them again.

physioman wrote: »
    Ordered 10 bags of 25kg slack and 38 bags of 20kg smokeless ovoids from coal warehouse on Monday at 10am 300 euro all in. Pallet arrived in co limerick at 2pm the following day. They gave me two free bags of slack which was a nice touch. Delivery guy rang and he placed the pallet off the road and at front of house for me. Driveway is steep and tarmaced. Tried the ovoids last night. Very impressed. Great heat and burned out completely. Will buy from them again.

If you dont mind me asking what do you use the slack for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    If you dont mind me asking what do you use the slack for?

Open fire

Hey guys, just checking to see what everyone else is using, I bought a tonne of coal and got delivered 18 November. 50 x 10kg

I gave about 5 away to friends so 45 left, have circa 10-15 bags left so going to place an order this time with Coal Warehouse and compare them

So how long is a piece of string or in this context how big is a lump of coal?

Its not been cold this year so usage should have been less than last year but without knowing how many rads you run or how big your stove is then its impossible to say.

Just for space heating of one main room, some cooking and heating water we burn about a tonne and a half of ovoids a year. We'd often burn much less but didn't have a decent supply of wood this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Is it just coal that they sell?
    Searched to find them online and found this as well, interesting section in the middle. I will say nothing else.

https://hardwareassociation.ie/fuel-smuggling-presents-serious-threat-to-hardware-stores/

Is it just coal that they sell?
    Searched to find them online and found this as well, interesting section in the middle. I will say nothing else.

https://hardwareassociation.ie/fuel-smuggling-presents-serious-threat-to-hardware-stores/
    A quick search of the thread reveals your the forth person to bring that up.

Even if you take the carbon tax and VAT differences into account its still significantly cheaper to buy from the North than it is to buy locally.

my3cents wrote: »
    So how long is a piece of string or in this context how big is a lump of coal?

Its not been cold this year so usage should have been less than last year but without knowing how many rads you run or how big your stove is then its impossible to say.

Just for space heating of one main room, some cooking and heating water we burn about a tonne and a half of ovoids a year. We'd often burn much less but didn't have a decent supply of wood this year.

I have 2 stoves, one just heats a room and other is heating the house. There is 20 rad's in house...didn't realise so many till I counted them up now:P

• Advertisement

I have 2 stoves, one just heats a room and other is heating the house. There is 20 rad's in house...didn't realise so many till I counted them up now:P

Your usage doesn't sound at all excessive.

The problem I have now with Ovoids is that they are so easy to use and its so easy to keep the range going that we now keep it going 24/7 and use more fuel than we did before. The house is a lot warmer though and its easy to get used to comfort :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Even if you take the carbon tax and VAT differences into account its still significantly cheaper to buy from the North than it is to buy locally.

Ah yeah, I have no issue with it, I just thought it was a funny item to publish online

Yes, the Irish Exchequer gets enough of my Tax already . Why should I pay an extra 2.40 euros in tax for each bag when I can buy it in the north.

Same as furniture and food, no brainer

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭deisedav

Hay if you got 50 × 10kg bags and got charged for a ton you got seriously ripped off there .

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rustynutz

Putting aside the smokeless vs smokey coal debate(I don't live in a smokeless area) are the avoids the best for heat output in a stove? Has anyone a link to their website as their facebook page doesn't have much info on pricing etc.

rustynutz wrote: »
    Putting aside the smokeless vs smokey coal debate(I don't live in a smokeless area) are the avoids the best for heat output in a stove? Has anyone a link to their website as their facebook page doesn't have much info on pricing etc.

Ovoids not as hot, but hot enough, last longer and less mess. Some stoves dont like coal as it gets too hot, warping the innards.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Foggy Jew

I have been using ovoids in a very elderly Stanley range. The heat output is absolutely brilliant & ash production in negligible. I have just ordered my second tonne of the season to date. It's my comfort blanket to have a full fuel shed.

It's the bally ballyness of it that makes it all seem so bally bally.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Foggy Jew wrote: »
    I have been using ovoids in a very elderly Stanley range. The heat output is absolutely brilliant & ash production in negligible. I have just ordered my second tonne of the season to date. It's my comfort blanket to have a full fuel shed.

Better to be looking at it, than for it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭studdlymurphy

Which is best for an open fire? I have Polish coal from a local lad but running low.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Which is best for an open fire? I have Polish coal from a local lad but running low.

From the coal warehouse? If so then black diamond

Advertisement