Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on coal....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭CH3OH

naughto wrote: »
    With the sterling so weak is it a good time of pay in euro
    IMHO you are better paying the merchant in sterling and let your bank charge you the euro.
    e.g, on Kosyking PREMIUM KOSY GLO OVOIDS (FULL TON) are priced at €330
    and £280 which at todays rate is approx 310 euro a difference of €20

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

CH3OH wrote: »
    IMHO you are better paying the merchant in sterling and let your bank charge you the euro.
    e.g, on Kosyking PREMIUM KOSY GLO OVOIDS (FULL TON) are priced at €330
    and £280 which at todays rate is approx 310 euro a difference of €20

Dont forget that some banks will also charge a non euro transaction fee on the transaction. Permanent TSB for example is 1.75 %.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭foxirl

cavan4sam wrote: »
    Went with coal warehouse €316 including delivery using Revolut card

Delivery is £51.60. What is the cost in sterling for the pallet of ovoids?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

foxirl wrote:
    Delivery is £51.60. What is the cost in sterling for the pallet of ovoids?

240 sterling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

cavan4sam wrote: »
    240 sterling

So, approx £290/E315 with delivery

or E12.60 a 40kg bag--bargain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭deisedav

I see the kosy king ovoids have gone up from around €330 to €348.10. Full of regret for not ordering last week now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

I have a ton of black diamond on the way. Someone tells me a local merchant has a ton of economy coal for the same price. Would there be much difference between these in terms of heat, ash etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I have a ton of black diamond on the way. Someone tells me a local merchant has a ton of economy coal for the same price. Would there be much difference between these in terms of heat, ash etc?

We used to burn economy coal when we were really poor it was rubbish and we used to joke about going to the coal merchants to buy another bag of stones :o

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭2forjoy

If the best coal ever which is Polish is only €180 and Black Diamond is €210 for a tonne , this might answer your question .
    There must be diamonds in the black stuff :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭taytobreath

sword1 wrote: »
    If you leave them outside the bags they disintegrate

you were correct, the lighter bags turned to paper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭mollymac57

Bought ton of premium coal from Kosy King last year but not overly happy with it. Lots of dust and mostly small pieces. Felt like it was anything but premium. Thinking Of ovoids this time. Has anyone experience of ovoids bought from KK or CW or elsewhere that they were satisfied with. Looking to buy a ton so want to get the best quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,510 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Not sure if this has been asked before, but using smokeless in a backboiler with a door on, what would be best to use>
    I did use Ovoids all along but am getting a door fitted in the next week or so.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

vectra wrote: »
    Not sure if this has been asked before, but using smokeless in a backboiler with a door on, what would be best to use>
    I did use Ovoids all along but am getting a door fitted in the next week or so.
    Thanks

Keep using smokeless ovoids,I use them in my stove.

Just placed my Winter order of split pallet of Black Diamond and Ovoids....cant wait to have the fire going again!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,063 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Is there an order form now? Or did I imagine it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,324 ✭✭✭naughto

This is what I got when on to them through Facebook
    To place and pay for your coal order you contact our office on 00442887740911 or send us through your contact number and we can call you. To organise delivery Liam Connollys require you to fill in a booking form from their website www.liamconnolly.co.uk once this has been submitted Liam Connollys will give you a call within the hour to confirm details and get payment, however if you are having trouble with form we can fill it in for you, just let us know when you are placing your order.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

My pallet of ovoids delivered today ..driver called 15 mins before delivery he knew where my house was anyway and wheeled the pallet into my garage .

Happy customer here .

Coal warehouse threw in two free bags of slack too which was a nice touch

My delivery arrived today.

First time that I got the 20kg and 25kg bags. Much much easier for handling.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,829 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Kosy have the paypal logo on their site. Does anyone know if they take it for ROI deliveries ?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭lenscap

Discodog wrote: »
    Kosy have the paypal logo on their site. Does anyone know if they take it for ROI deliveries ?

I don't understand your question.

I have purchased from Kosy King many times and asked them to deliver on a day that suited me and I never had a problem.

If in doubt give them a ring. They are very helpfull.

• Advertisement

What are there opening hours tried to ring today to order

• Registered Users Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭jaffa20

What do people find is the best coal for a multifuel stove? I am planning on using wood/briquettes mainly but would like to try some coal if it gets very cold. I heard there is more heat from coal. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭The Gardener

Discodog wrote: »

Yes, but they charge an extra £5 if you use PayPal or maybe it was 5 euro, can't remember which.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,721 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

What's best smokeless fool for an open fire.

What would be best to buy.

jaffa20 wrote: »
    What do people find is the best coal for a multifuel stove? I am planning on using wood/briquettes mainly but would like to try some coal if it gets very cold. I heard there is more heat from coal. Thanks

You get massively more heat from any from of coal over wood/briquettes.

There is more actual heat (as in measured calorific output) in Ovoids than most mined coal other than anthracite.

Basically avoid any form of smoky coal for a stove eg Polish coal as it soots everything up far to quickly. Also avoid anything that has a lot of pet coke (petroleum coke a by product of making petrol) in it as it burns to hot and over time can damage the cast iron parts of the stove like the grate.

Ovoids are your best all-around bet.

At the other of the scale you have lignite often sold as Union Nuggets which have the least heat stored in them so aren't great value however they burn well in a stove.

Lignite and pet coke mixes (cheaper because of the pet coke) approach the heat output of Ovoids but the pet coke can still slowly burn out the cast iron parts of the stove.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭jaffa20

my3cents wrote: »
    You get massively more heat from any from of coal over wood/briquettes.

There is more actual heat (as in measured calorific output) in Ovoids than most mined coal other than anthracite.

Basically avoid any form of smoky coal for a stove eg Polish coal as it soots everything up far to quickly. Also avoid anything that has a lot of pet coke (petroleum coke a by product of making petrol) in it as it burns to hot and over time can damage the cast iron parts of the stove like the grate.

Ovoids are your best all-around bet.

At the other of the scale you have lignite often sold as Union Nuggets which have the least heat stored in them so aren't great value however they burn well in a stove.

Lignite and pet coke mixes (cheaper because of the pet coke) approach the heat output of Ovoids but the pet coke can still slowly burn out the cast iron parts of the stove.

Thanks a mill for the detailed advice. Ovoids i used in the open fire before and found them great so i will stick to them for the stove too. They are pricey but probably worth it.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,158 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Are ovoids pretty much the likes of cosy glow? In the same boat myself with a new stove and trying to figure out what's best.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭rule supreme

Can you mix types of coal on a pallet etc. 10 bags of ovoids and 15 bags of black diamond .

Can you mix types of coal on a pallet etc. 10 bags of ovoids and 15 bags of black diamond .

Any mix you like. You don't even have to have a full tonne on a pallet but you pay the same delivery price for a pallet if its full or only half full.

• Advertisement

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Are ovoids pretty much the likes of cosy glow? In the same boat myself with a new stove and trying to figure out what's best.

Ya they are I have being buying cosy glow and asked them what was the closest they had to them smokeless ovoids is what they suggested

Advertisement