Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on coal....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭macjohn

vectra wrote: »
    I did indeed.
    I find they burn out too fast and produce less heat than ovoids. tbh.

In a stove I found a few blocks with the ovoids help the get the best out of the ovoids.
    With the air barely open a block on top of the ovoids gets great heat for me and keeps them gradually burning away.

@Tinder Surprise. I've ordered the cheaper Polish coal previously but found it to be of poor grade and very dusty. It never burned through properly I found either.

I wont be buying it again but will buy the Black Diamond next time I order.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

Bought a tonne of ovoids today, new oil burner last week. Replacing upstairs windows next week. Bring on the winter and a expensive credit union loan

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

TheTorment wrote: »
    @Tinder Surprise. I've ordered the cheaper Polish coal previously but found it to be of poor grade and very dusty. It never burned through properly I found either.

I wont be buying it again but will buy the Black Diamond next time I order.

+1 it was pure muck

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭studdlymurphy

vectra wrote:
    Slack - €130 per tonne Singles - €155 per tonne Polish - €180 per tonne Black diamond €210 per tonne Doubles - €180 per tonne Columbian - €250 per tonne Union Nuggets - €250 per tonne smokeless ovoids - €280 per tonne Country blend - €280 per tonne Clearflame - €280 per tonne

vectra wrote:
    Please note these prices are special offer and will be reviewed at the end of the month. 00442887740911 Thank you

Is the Colombian better than the black diamond? If so by much? Does there be much of the charcoal bits left over?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,506 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Is the Colombian better than the black diamond? If so by much? Does there be much of the charcoal bits left over?

Sorry
    I have no connection with them. I just posted their pricing.
    I have used columbian myself from anyother distributer, Lights up fantastic, Great heat,
    Bot created desperate soot in my chimney.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,260 ✭✭✭CH3OH

There is a tenner off Kosyking
    Not sure if it would make a whole lot of difference, but may help

20228307_1582498698467823_8805233112943571262_n.jpg?oh=1d51c384328228daabf306e2e9365aea&oe=59F1BFA2

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Are they still giving the free bag of slack ? I ordered today and forgot to ask.

also.. is the Nationwide Ban on Smoky Coal going ahead.. i haven't heard anything about it recently.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2015/0928/730807-smokey-coal/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭bigron2109

Coal warehouse

*Current Price list as follows:*
    Slack - €130 per tonne
    Singles - €155 per tonne
    Polish - €180 per tonne
    Black diamond €210 per tonne
    Doubles - €180 per tonne
    Columbian - €250 per tonne
    Union Nuggets - €250 per tonne
    smokeless ovoids - €280 per tonne
    Country blend - €280 per tonne
    Clearflame - €280 per tonne
    Please note these prices are special offer and will be reviewed at the end of the month.
    Thank you

Does Kosy King do smokeless ovoids too? Been on their website and I can't seem to see them , unless I am going blind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Rega

Rega wrote: »

Much appreciated . Thank you. There is some difference in price between the Euro and the Sterling for these. Sterling is £300 pound which works out at roughly €332 but they are Charging €354 if you pay in Euro.

May look up one of those revoult cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

bigron2109 wrote: »
    Coal warehouse

*Current Price list as follows:*
    Slack - €130 per tonne
    Singles - €155 per tonne
    Polish - €180 per tonne
    Black diamond €210 per tonne
    Doubles - €180 per tonne
    Columbian - €250 per tonne
    Union Nuggets - €250 per tonne
    smokeless ovoids - €280 per tonne
    Country blend - €280 per tonne
    Clearflame - €280 per tonne
    Please note these prices are special offer and will be reviewed at the end of the month.
    Thank you

Do they have the prices in sterling too do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,828 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Is it still the same system where you have to book the courier separately with Coal Warehouse ?

Discodog wrote: »
    Is it still the same system where you have to book the courier separately with Coal Warehouse ?

Yes,
    It's fairly straight forward.

1) phone coal warehouse, place your order, and pay by credit card

2) go to Liam Connolly website & fill out the form (an example of how to fill it out, is on the CW Facebook page)

3) Wait for call from Liam Connolly, and pay over the phone by credit card.
    (If they don't phone after 1hr, just phone them)

4) 3 to 4 working days your coal arrives.
    The courier phones 10 min before he arrives

5) Break your back moving bags

6) Wait 12 months... rinse and repeat.

It's actually very simple, one or two phone calls, and hundreds of euro saved.

Edit, also got 2x25kg of slack thrown in for free

I see that they both use Liam Connolly. Coal Warehouse are quite a bit cheaper even though they charge more for delivery. There still seems to be this strange thing with both companies. Kosy say that delivery is £20 but CW say that it's 60.

Have the prices increased ? My supplier provides Ecobrite at €9 per 20 kg bag. CW's closest match, Ovoids, are only €2.20 a bag cheaper. I am sure that my guy would supply cheaper for a tonne.

Discodog wrote: »
    I see that they both use Liam Connolly. Coal Warehouse are quite a bit cheaper even though they charge more for delivery. There still seems to be this strange thing with both companies. Kosy say that delivery is £20 but CW say that it's 60.

Have the prices increased ? My supplier provides Ecobrite at €9 per 20 kg bag. CW's closest match, Ovoids, are only €2.20 a bag cheaper. I am sure that my guy would supply cheaper for a tonne.

I've used cw twice, and a few friends have also used them without any problems.
    I recommended them to a neighbour and also told them about kosyking, and their attitude was,

Well, if you're using cw without any problems, and the coal is good. and others have used them without problem, why go elsewhere.

CW works for me. And I've not had any issue with the Black Diamond.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭DubInTheWest

Hi guys, black diamond or Colombian for an open fire from CW ? I've used polish before and it was horrible, lots of cinders every single day. I have a range which I will be using the ovoids in which are really good but have an open fire that will be lit in winter. Last year I had access to turf which was really good but will have to go with coal this year for the open fire. Colombian is €40 dearer than black diamond, worth it ?

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Hi guys, black diamond or Colombian for an open fire from CW ? I've used polish before and it was horrible, lots of cinders every single day. I have a range which I will be using the ovoids in which are really good but have an open fire that will be lit in winter. Last year I had access to turf which was really good but will have to go with coal this year for the open fire. Colombian is €40 dearer than black diamond, worth it ?

Cheers

Whats wrong with using the ovoids on an open fire? One advantage is they aren't as smoky as colombian or black diamond.

my3cents wrote: »
    Whats wrong with using the ovoids on an open fire? One advantage is they aren't as smoky as colombian or black diamond.

Hey :) To be honest I just don't think they throw out enough heat from the open fire. They were perfect in the range last year but on occasions I added them to the open fire and just didn't cut it. There is no rad in the room with the open fire and the turf and logs gave out nice heat but as I said the ovoids just didn't give out much heat. A few years ago I bought a small bag of ovoids from Lidl and used them in the open fire and the heat was unreal, it was actually intense. The ovoids from CW seem to burn at a lower heat but last well. I was getting 3 days from a bag of ovoids from CW and the house is nice and hot and great value. I went with turf and logs in recent years but after getting the ovoids from CW last year I've knocked the turf on the head this year, less topping up the range and less hard work on the bog. So thats why I was thinking either black diamond or Colombian for the open fire.

• Advertisement

Cheers

Black Diamond.. i've only ever ordered that, and its served me well. (its a mix of smokey and non smokey)

The Polish (€180/ton) has been said to be poor
    and the Columbian, apparently is very smokey, you'll need to have your chimney cleaner more regularly

mikeecho wrote: »
    Black Diamond.. i've only ever ordered that, and its served me well. (its a mix of smokey and non smokey)

The Polish (€180/ton) has been said to be poor
    and the Columbian, apparently is very smokey, you'll need to have your chimney cleaner more regularly

Thanks for the input, I'll go with the black diamond.

I need some input lads.
    I need to order a tonne of something.
    With the past couple of years I have been burning Ovoids in an open Back Boiler from my local and am happy with them,
    Except for the fact that they take some time to heat up.

I am looking there at Kozyking Smokeless blend @ £249 Tonne plus delivery £19-95 Call it £270 all in = €296, Call it €300

Smokeless-Blend-HALFTon-600x600.jpg

What is the actual difference between these and Ovoids?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭lenscap

I need some input lads.
    With the past couple of years I have been burning Ovoids in an open Back Boiler from my local and am happy with them,

I am looking there at Kozyking Smokeless blend @ £249 Tonne plus delivery £19-95 Call it £270 all in = €296, Call it €300

Thanks

What you have above is a mix of lignite and calco. Lignite is also called brown coal and had the same heat output (I found) as peat briquettes. Calco is like petro coke which can burn very hot and I have heard reports of it burning grates, which is they reason they mix it with the lignite.

I have tried a bag of that mix in a boiler stove and I didn't like it. The heat output was ok but I found the lignite very smokey and when opening the stove door to refuel the smell of the calco and the smokey lignite was horrible (like tom cat's pee) . Herself went mad.

I have used the premium Kosy Glo ovoids from Kosyking in my stove for the last two years and found them great and would recommend them. I see on their site that the product has been moved from smokeless to domestic coal. Maybe give them a ring first or an e-mail. I found them very helpful and they even arranged delivery on a day that suited me.

Let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭deisedav

I need some input lads.

Thanks

Have we not been down this road before? . You might want to stock up on a few fire grates too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭deandean

Anyone got a definitive answer as to which of the products are smokeless, for an open fireplace in Dublin? I see that the Country Blend and the Clearflame are same/more expensive than the ovoids and I wonder would they be better in an open fireplace. I phoned CW and OMG the lady I spoke with didn't know their products at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Jamesb33

Country blend and clearflame is what your after.

lenscap wrote: »
    What you have above is a mix of lignite and calco. Lignite is also called brown coal and had the same heat output (I found) as peat briquettes. Calco is like petro coke which can burn very hot and I have heard reports of it burning grates, which is they reason they mix it with the lignite.

I have tried a bag of that mix in a boiler stove and I didn't like it. The heat output was ok but I found the lignite very smokey and when opening the stove door to refuel the smell of the calco and the smokey lignite was horrible (like tom cat's pee) . Herself went mad.

I have used the premium Kosy Glo ovoids from Kosyking in my stove for the last two years and found them great and would recommend them. I see on their site that the product has been moved from smokeless to domestic coal. Maybe give them a ring first or an e-mail. I found them very helpful and they even arranged delivery on a day that suited me.

Let us know how you get on.

Thanks for the informative reply.
    I was thinking of a tonne of this stuff and maybe half tonne of ovoids from my local,
    Get the fire goung with this stuff and top it up later with ovoids.?
    Thoughts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Thanks for the informative reply.
    I was thinking of a tonne of this stuff and maybe half tonne of ovoids from my local,
    Get the fire goung with this stuff and top it up later with ovoids.?
    Thoughts?

You'd be better off with just ovoids or if you must use two different fuels then just plain lignite (also sold as Union Nuggets).

• Advertisement

Are the Ovoids any harder to light than my usual Ecobrite?

Advertisement