Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on coal....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Discodog wrote: »
    Are the Ovoids any harder to light than my usual Ecobrite?

The only people that have a problem lighting Ovoids are the same people that shouldn't really be let loose with a box of matches.

If you've any half decent fire lighting technique Ovoids aren't an issue to light.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,828 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

my3cents wrote: »
    The only people that have a problem lighting Ovoids are the same people that shouldn't really be let loose with a box of matches.

If you've any half decent fire lighting technique Ovoids aren't an issue to light.

I suspected that ☺️

I suspected that ☺️

It may be worth mentioning that when first lit and before they have really got going Ovoids give off a much more toxic smoke than say Polish coal.

We always let the fire get going really well with Ovoids to "burn" the smoke off before closing down the range we burn them on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Just put in an order. Very straight forward. Only concern now is that the truck can get down my laneway. It's about 100m of dual cabbageway. I can have them delivered to a neighbour if needs be. Anyone have any problems with delivery in the countryside?

Just put in an order. Very straight forward. Only concern now is that the truck can get down my laneway. It's about 100m of dual cabbageway. I can have them delivered to a neighbour if needs be. Anyone have any problems with delivery in the countryside?

Yeah, last year the driver wouldn't come down our road, if it had been a delivery that I hadn't organised myself I'd have refused delivery.

Driver was OK and hung around while I moved the coal with my trailer but I didn't want to move a tonne of coal half a mile down our lane in three trailer loads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

Bought a ton of Ovoids from Coalwarehouse today , very straight forward .Wonder has anyone bought the kilndried blocks and were they any good .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Yeah, last year the driver wouldn't come down our road, if it had been a delivery that I hadn't organised myself I'd have refused delivery.

Driver was OK and hung around while I moved the coal with my trailer but I didn't want to move a tonne of coal half a mile down our lane in three trailer loads.

Damn! I can have it delivered to a neighbours yard just off the road if he won't go down the lane. Have had drivers reverse down the laneway delivering stuff before but I suppose it depends on the driver.

Damn! I can have it delivered to a neighbours yard just off the road if he won't go down the lane. Have had drivers reverse down the laneway delivering stuff before but I suppose it depends on the driver.

Driver we had knew that area (most of them work the same area each day) and that there was a tight right hand bend before our place. With a bit of skill you can make it with the largest rigid lorries but I couldn't convince him. I'm going to ask a neighbor on the main road this year if I can leave the load in their drive entrance. I don't mind having to move it myself the extra half mile its just I don't want it left on the side of the road while I make a couple of trips with the trailer.

The 20kg bags btw make moving it really easy :)

This is the only thing that is stopping me. I will need to phone Connolly & find out who they use for my area & then call them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Yester

It's almost that time of the year again. Last year was my first time ordering from Coal Ware house so thanks again op. Last year I got a tonne of Polish which did the job but was a bit dirty and smokey and left me having to clean the range out every couple of days. This year I will be going for the smokeless oviods.

I had read repeated warnings about connelly's devilery only giving about 10 minutes notice before turning up with the delivery, so I specified when ordering that they needed to give me a days notice. That made no difference, I got a phonecall from from a delivery man when he was lost and about 10 mins away. (He was a bit of a dick as well so I hope I don't get him again this year)

All and all though it's a good bargain and it's great to be stocked up for the winter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭mikeecho

rebeve wrote: »
    Bought a ton of Ovoids from Coalwarehouse today , very straight forward .Wonder has anyone bought the kilndried blocks and were they any good .

Who's selling the blocks?
    Can't see them listed on the coal warehouse Facebook page

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Indestructable

Does anyone know if the courier crowd will deliver on a Saturday?

Yester wrote: »
    It's almost that time of the year again. Last year was my first time ordering from Coal Ware house so thanks again op. Last year I got a tonne of Polish which did the job but was a bit dirty and smokey and left me having to clean the range out every couple of days. This year I will be going for the smokeless oviods.

I had read repeated warnings about connelly's devilery only giving about 10 minutes notice before turning up with the delivery, so I specified when ordering that they needed to give me a days notice. That made no difference, I got a phonecall from from a delivery man when he was lost and about 10 mins away. (He was a bit of a dick as well so I hope I don't get him again this year)

All and all though it's a good bargain and it's great to be stocked up for the winter.

This put me off last year. I have to be here for the delivery & I would need to take time off. Why can't they use online tracking like with a parcel ?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,062 ✭✭✭✭beertons

This put me off last year. I have to be here for the delivery & I would need to take time off. Why can't they use online tracking like with a parcel ?

Annoys me too. I rang the local crowd here pre delivery to ask them for a call the morning they were due. I still only got 15 mins notice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 chubbs2011

just got my delivery of 1 ton of coal from Kosy king I ordered online on sterling and saved about 30E on last year price. including delivery it cost 290E

beertons wrote: »
    Annoys me too. I rang the local crowd here pre delivery to ask them for a call the morning they were due. I still only got 15 mins notice.

I was planning to do that. They clearly sub the job to someone local who probably doesn't give a ****.

I can't risk a ton of coal being left somewhere until I can get home.

It's bad business ethic from the the delivery co. What would happen if you weren't there to take it after getting short notice? You have paid in advance and you have to sign for it when it arrives. If you weren't there they have to come back again.

It's bad business ethic from the the delivery co. What would happen if you weren't there to take it after getting short notice? You have paid in advance and you have to sign for it when it arrives. If you weren't there they have to come back again.

I suspect that you will have to pay for a second delivery & possibly storage charges. It's hardly difficult for the courier to call the day before & confirm an approximate time.

Not really because you aren't paying for a consumer service you are paying for a delivery service that is used by businesses and its quite normal for someone to be in the workshop, shop, office, yard etc where the delivery will be made.

Just how many consumers regularly order something that weighs a tonne and needs delivering on a pallet?

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

My ton of ovoids arrived today from coal warehouse .They threw in 2 bags of slack aswell , great service .Will defo buy again .

• Advertisement

I suspect that you will have to pay for a second delivery & possibly storage charges. It's hardly difficult for the courier to call the day before & confirm an approximate time.
    Not really because you aren't paying for a consumer service you are paying for a delivery service that is used by businesses and its quite normal for someone to be in the workshop, shop, office, yard etc where the delivery will be made.

Just how many consumers regularly order something that weighs a tonne and needs delivering on a pallet?

There is no way I would pay for a second delivery when the courier has not given notice. They agreed over the phone that they would ring me the day before to say when they woul be delivering. I would have to declare war if they tried to charge me for a second delivery.

There is no way I would pay for a second delivery when the courier has not given notice. They agreed over the phone that they would ring me the day before to say when they woul be delivering. I would have to declare war if they tried to charge me for a second delivery.

But the problem is you have no comeback against coal warehouse because you organised the transport.

A mate is a manager for a small transport operation and I know that sometimes stuff that can't be delivered and the seller has no interest in because they have been paid just gets left in the yard for anyone who wants to take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

So which ovoids are best ? Coal warehouse or kosy king ? Ordering tommorrow .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

cavan4sam wrote: »
    So which ovoids are best ? Coal warehouse or kosy king ? Ordering tommorrow .

How do they compare price wise?

I agree but CW, as the customer of the courier, should make sure that they understand the reality of an ordinary person receiving a pallet of heavy material.

CW should make it a condition of their custom that the courier talks to the end user & properly arranges a delivery time.

BENDYBINN wrote:
    How do they compare price wise?

Not much difference maybe tenner odd ... Just want best quality ovoids

cavan4sam wrote: »
    Not much difference maybe tenner odd ... Just want best quality ovoids

Why do you think they are better than the ones from CW?

Discodog wrote:
    Why do you think they are better than the ones from CW?

I didnt think they were , was looking to see what peoples experience was between both

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭naughto

With the sterling so weak is it a good time of pay in euro

• Advertisement

Went with coal warehouse €316 including delivery using Revolut card

Advertisement