Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

Grats wrote: »
    Looks like he's telling Cody I'll be back next year, when you're gone!

Im not sure he will be back has struggled against all intercounty defenders over the last year.
    Immense for ballyhale but not happening for kilkenny.
    If we are waiting for his return we are in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭Grats

Im not sure he will be back has struggled against all intercounty defenders over the last year or 2.
    Immense for ballyhale but not happening for kilkenny.
    If we are waiting for his return we are in trouble.

I don't expect him back either. I'm just saying he's sending a message to Cody.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭The_Ghost

Tbf to Colin over the last 2 seasons he’s been involved in nearly all the goals we’ve scored beside the galway game. Still a very strange decision imo. Wonder will there be any more to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

mercury16 wrote: »
    To be fair to Cody, Colin deserved to be replaced.
    And he hasn’t exactly been a high performer for the past number of years. Blowing hot and cold.
    Had expected that getting the captaincy he would up his game but he didn’t, and you don’t deserve to be on a Cody kk team, just because you’re captain. We all know that!

I feel that's really harsh

I think Fennelly has reached a level of consistency in the last 3 years at least as good as anyone on the current squad, with the obvious exception of TJ
    In fact I'd be surprised to hear (outside TJ) if any current Kilkenny player has a betters scoring return in the last 3 years from play

He was excellent in 2019 and was probably heading for an All-Star until Richie sent off.

He had a tough day with Daithi Burke and was deservedly replaced but he should not have been dropped for semi in my opinion
    By the time he was introduced the jig was up, Waterford were rampant and he barely saw the ball

Any county would love to have him, he is a very dangerous player who we will not easily replace

Ballyhale should benefit.
    Fennelly has been a serious force in Kilkenny club scene for a few years now and I'd say come Summer he will wreak havoc on the club scene with a real point to be made

If you arent happy somewhere and have lost faith in a boss, in sport or in any workplace, for your well being get yourself out of there.

I feel that's really harsh

I think Fennelly has reached a level of consistency in the last 3 years at least as good as anyone on the current squad, with the obvious exception of TJ
    In fact I'd be surprised to hear (outside TJ) if any current Kilkenny player has a betters scoring return in the last 3 years from play

He was excellent in 2019 and was probably heading for an All-Star until Richie sent off.

He had a tough day with Daithi Burke and was deservedly replaced but he should not have been dropped for semi in my opinion
    By the time he was introduced the jig was up, Waterford were rampant and he barely saw the ball

Any county would love to have him, he is a very dangerous player who we will not easily replace

Ballyhale should benefit.
    Fennelly has been a serious force in Kilkenny club scene for a few years now and I'd say come Summer he will wreak havoc on the club scene with a real point to be made

If you arent happy somewhere and have lost faith in a boss, in sport or in any workplace, for your well being get yourself out of there.

They actually gave him a all star in 19 at wingforward which was a bit strange. MULLEN YHOTY AND NO ALL STAR

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

conor05 wrote: »
    A year out at aged 31 at top level county hurling would be the end though would it not?

Maybe he can stay at a high level with his club Ballyhale.

You could see by Fennelly's body language last year been dropped by Cody didn't go down well.

Not necessarily. If he maintains a good level of fitness it could keep him playing inter county longer
    You see some pro's doing it in some sports, a few rugby players have done it, it rejuvenates them and their careers. can allow some keep playing for few years more.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

They actually gave him a all star in 19 at wingforward which was a bit strange. MULLEN YHOTY AND NO ALL STAR

Yikes, I forgot, thanks.
    And well deserved

I think he outscored Mullen in 2019 even if some of Mullen's scores were more vital

Speaking of which, where stands the Mullen clan in current turbulence?

As for Fennelly's age
    I know the modern game takes its toll but it really depends on the player, injuries, fitness etc
    31/32 shouldn't be an issue if you are lucky to be injury-free, no kids, a forgiving job and still mad for it all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Village87

Yikes, I forgot, thanks.
    And well deserved

I think he outscored Mullen in 2019 even if some of Mullen's scores were more vital

Speaking of which, where stands the Mullen clan in current turbulence?

As for Fennelly's age
    I know the modern game takes its toll but it really depends on the player, injuries, fitness etc
    31/32 shouldn't be an issue if you are lucky to be injury-free, no kids, a forgiving job and still mad for it all

As far as i know the Ballyhale contingent are strongly opposed to Brian Cody. I expect Joey Holden to go any day. Brian Cody called in Paddy Mullen be he refused to go in. Richie Reid is 28 in a few months, it is fairly obvious Cody does not rate him or trust him in big matches. He is 6/7 years sitting on the bench, very hard to see Richie go back in another year with current management

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

It wouldnt really as these games development officers would be far too spread out. Now if you have someone working for county board overseeing maybe 10-12 clubs with guys working with the individual clubs beneath it.
    You dont want or shouldnt need the guys going into schools every single week of school year but for a short period of 8-10 weeks

Think these should be mandated if you wish to coach at a specific level.
    Totally agree that you see some people, especially if they just stopped playing or recently stopped playing and were playing to a high level, get offended at being asked/told to attend a coaching course but coaching is so so different to playing.
    Clubs do need to work with neighbouring clubs/rivals on coaching events with guests but very hard to do that unless you get county board to run more of these events.
    It wouldnt really as these games development officers would be far too spread out. Now if you have someone working for county board overseeing maybe 10-12 clubs with guys working with the individual clubs beneath it.
    You dont want or shouldnt need the guys going into schools every single week of school year but for a short period of 8-10 weeks

Maybe I'm picking you up wrong but you seem to think it'd be better for the development of the kids to have a coach coming in every 8-10 weeks than every 2-3 weeks, and not just for games which is the norm but for actual coaching.
    Im saying they should come in once a week for 8 to 10 weeks do whatever work theyre doing. Not simply visit a school once in every 2 or 3 weeks.
    They do 8 weeks in set of schools. even finish off that set with each school bringing teams to play in a local club and play a blitz of games and then the development officer moves on to another set of schools

Coaching is a bit wishy washy.
    Kids in our school get a coach in for an hour a week for 3-4 weeks, throw and kick a football about.
    Football in our club is absolutley neglected - the u10/11/12 hurlers get 3 sessions of football, and thats it. Box ticked.

We do have an u16 team, and a junior team - how they survive with very little coaching for kids feeding into them??!

Ladies Football on the other hand is flourishing! U10 -12-14-16-minor .
    We have a small pool of players to pull from, and theres not many other clubs near us playing football, then you have to contend with the likes of Kilkenny City!! Thats a bit of a farce.

I did my LGFA fundamental course on sunday, and it was ........ basic, i think is the word for it.
    Online , i understand is different than doing a course in a room with others, but theres little 'coaching' info to be honest. I understand its a entry level course - Although the handbook is very informative, and theres a lot of info in it.

I think the fundamental (entry level0 course should be mandatory for everyone that is coaching/helping managing teams, but i also fully understand that you cant force (sometime reluctant) volunteers to attend (and pay) for courses.

Coaching and organisation is getting better , thankfully

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Of all the things I'll criticise Cody for Richie Reid isn't one of them. And no single club, regardless of how many quality players they bring to the setup, should be allowed dictate anything. If Ballyhale are trying to strongarm Cody that's bull****

• Advertisement

Of all the things I'll criticise Cody for Richie Reid isn't one of them. And no single club, regardless of how many quality players they bring to the setup, should be allowed dictate anything. If Ballyhale are trying to strongarm Cody that's bull****

I agree, I would not be playing Richie Reid. I have been critical of Paddy Deegan's performances but I believe Richie Reid would be cruelly exposed against some teams out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 AhBoyDelaney

Personally I think Colin Fennelly should have stayed on and led as example for all our younger lads that are on the panel. After all Mick Kavanagh, Noel Hickey,Jackie Tyrrell all spent a year on the bench after they retired which could only have been good for panel development. I am not saying Colin Fennelly would have not made the starting 15. IMO he should have started against Waterford but I hope the reason he outlines is the real reason and not a kick against Cody.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Noddy33

Village87 wrote: »
    I agree, I would not be playing Richie Reid. I have been critical of Paddy Deegan's performances but I believe Richie Reid would be cruelly exposed against some teams out there.

My own feeling is that going by club form the last 2 years Richie has been the best wing back in the county. This is a position we have struggled with the last while due to injuries to key players(ie Buckley) or loss of form on lads etc. While I would think all players at county level need to have some element of versatility given the speed of the game and positions almost irrelevant at times.........I think alot of people feel Richie should have been given a few games at wing back to claim a stake in what most would be agreed is his best position and a position we somewhat struggled for much consistency. He is strong in the air, good touch, gives great delivery to the forwards and well able to take a long range point

Another way of looking at it is fennelly is really only taking 6 months off.
    He has plans for a development in mountain view golf course and has been probably hurling with 3 years without a break.
    I wouldn't be linking fennellys reasoning with That of the Mullens .
    Any Ballyhale man would tell you about the difficulties there.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭therealdonster

I think this year is going to be a major struggle. We simply do not have anyone to replace a loss like Fennelly, in fact there isnt anyone even close. The few additions to the panel are not going to make any difference, some of them have already been in with the panel and were released during the season. They are mostly decent club players and nothing more.

If the championship is the same format as last year it is quite possible that we might not even win a game unless we draw Laois or someone like that. The dual threat of Colin/TJ is gone and now teams know that they just have to nullify TJ and they are home and hosed.

I think untill the minors of the previous 2 years and this years mature we are going to be one of the also rans.
    It looks like Richie Power was right in the points he was making last week after all in that a new regime may have reinvigorated the current players such as Colin and TJ.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

Just watched paul Murphy's interview on off the ball.. came across as a very sound bloke.. pretty much Cody's dream I'd say.. loved to train.. never injured. .never any quibbles or gripes..
    He is also an excellent story teller..tommy Walsh could have a rival.. his description of 2013 v tipp really brought home to me firstly how special that panel was and secondly how much we are really missing out due to covid..before anyone tasks I'm afraid I dont have a link to it..I'm very low tech.😀

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭kkclubhurling

I think this year is going to be a major struggle. We simply do not have anyone to replace a loss like Fennelly, in fact there isnt anyone even close. The few additions to the panel are not going to make any difference, some of them have already been in with the panel and were released during the season. They are mostly decent club players and nothing more.

If the championship is the same format as last year it is quite possible that we might not even win a game unless we draw Laois or someone like that. The dual threat of Colin/TJ is gone and now teams know that they just have to nullify TJ and they are home and hosed.

I think untill the minors of the previous 2 years and this years mature we are going to be one of the also rans.
    It looks like Richie Power was right in the points he was making last week after all in that a new regime may have reinvigorated the current players such as Colin and TJ.

Decent club hurlers?

Eoin O’Shea is 21
    David Blanchfield is 20
    Daire Corcoran is 20
    Cian Kenny is 19

Writing them off as not good enough is genuinely off the wall

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Decent club hurlers?

Eoin O’Shea is 21
    David Blanchfield is 20
    Daire Corcoran is 20
    Cian Kenny is 19

Writing them off as not good enough is genuinely off the wall

Yeah. Maybe we should ask the GAA for an opt out for this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,305 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Just watched paul Murphy's interview on off the ball.. came across as a very sound bloke.. pretty much Cody's dream I'd say.. loved to train.. never injured. .never any quibbles or gripes..
    He is also an excellent story teller..tommy Walsh could have a rival.. his description of 2013 v tipp really brought home to me firstly how special that panel was and secondly how much we are really missing out due to covid..before anyone tasks I'm afraid I dont have a link to it..I'm very low tech.😀

Thanks for posting about it. I will give it a watch.

Here is the link for anyone else

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Noddy33 wrote: »
    My own feeling is that going by club form the last 2 years Richie has been the best wing back in the county. This is a position we have struggled with the last while due to injuries to key players(ie Buckley) or loss of form on lads etc. While I would think all players at county level need to have some element of versatility given the speed of the game and positions almost irrelevant at times.........I think alot of people feel Richie should have been given a few games at wing back to claim a stake in what most would be agreed is his best position and a position we somewhat struggled for much consistency. He is strong in the air, good touch, gives great delivery to the forwards and well able to take a long range point

He was virtually anonymous against the Village in rhe semi particularly in the second half when they nearly nicked it. He's gotten plenty of chances with Kilkenny in the recent past to stake a claim and hasn't taken any of them. I can't remember him playing well in any Kilkenny game he played. When playing, he has a tendency to drift out of games. He has played well for Shamrocks but they're such a strong outfit everyone is going to shine.

• Advertisement

Without colin at the edge of the square as the physical presence.
    I think it will cause us to evolve into a different strategy. We need to find pace in the full forward line apart from ryan we are not lightning quick and corner backs handle very good slow hurlers all day.
    I hope we don't just but tj in there now and do the same thing as last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭conor05

Agreed on Richie Reid, not fast or physical enough for inter county hurling.

Has had some brilliant games as a club hurler for Ballyhale to be fair to him.

I remember seeing him in a Walsh cup match v Wexford and the Wexford lad destroyed him.

Conor phelan added to backroom team

Agreed on Richie Reid, not fast or physical enough for inter county hurling.

Has had some brilliant games as a club hurler for Ballyhale to be fair to him.

I remember seeing him in a Walsh cup match v Wexford and the Wexford lad destroyed him.

I will admit he has his fair share of opportunities but my main point is that these opportunities have all been in positions other than what is arguably his best position which is wing back. He has played in goal, midfield, wing forward and centre forward but little if any at Wing back which is where I would like to see him be given a sustained few games run at. We can all be specific on games where players had a bad that at the office etc.......but I also remember him scoring 4 points from play down below in Cork in his first start of a league game at the opening of the new stadium. My opinion is that he could potentially nail down a starting place perhaps at wing back if given a fair opportunity there

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭conor05

I will admit he has his fair share of opportunities but my main point is that these opportunities have all been in positions other than what is arguably his best position which is wing back. He has played in goal, midfield, wing forward and centre forward but little if any at Wing back which is where I would like to see him be given a sustained few games run at. We can all be specific on games where players had a bad that at the office etc.......but I also remember him scoring 4 points from play down below in Cork in his first start of a league game at the opening of the new stadium. My opinion is that he could potentially nail down a starting place perhaps at wing back if given a fair opportunity there

Richie will be turning 28 shortly. The ship has sailed for him under Cody anyway.

Richie will be turning 28 shortly. The ship has sailed for him under Cody anyway.

Richie Reid discussion topic aside.......I honestly cant see why people are writing off player these days when they hit the 27/28 year mark if they have yet to 'Make it'. By that logic TJ and Richie H would have almost missed the boat as it was only after the mid 20's before they start finding their range at comfort at senior inter county leavel. I do think that top players should be hitting their peak in around this age but TJ while in essence he is a hurling freak.......he is perfect example that nutrition and proper strength and conditioning that players can stay going well in to their 30's despite the physical demands of senior inter county.

We havnt exactly been dominating the inter county under age scene in Leinster let alone winning All Irelands. I would prefer that all players and panels are picked on form starting with your club and while it is shortsighted...... because at the end of the year KK will be judged on whether they won the All Ireland or not........ as that really is the level of expectation amongst most fans .....and despite at times what we say it is very rarely considered a satisfactory end to year if we managed to "blood a few young players"

I think I was down at that and he got whipped off after 20 minutes, i could be wrong but Cody was roaring at him to get in and contest rather than standing out waiting for the ball, it was under floodlights down in Cork. Joe Lyng was center back.

Village87 wrote: »
    I think I was down at that and he got whipped off after 20 minutes, i could be wrong but Cody was roaring at him to get in and contest rather than standing out waiting for the ball, it was under floodlights down in Cork. Joe Lyng was center back.

Nope he did not get taken off after 20mins and he was centre forward that they after playing some walsh cup games in the forwards. He scored 3 or 4 points from play that day in what was he first league game in the new stadium in Cork. Buckley was captain that night and scored if my memory is right two fantastic points from wing back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭Grats

Revised Panel with B Cody Shamrocks Ballyhale added:

Shamrocks Ballyhale
    TJ Reid, Joey Holden, R Reid, D Mullen, A Mullen, E Cody, D Corcoran, B Cody

Dicksboro
    C Buckley, A Nolan

James Stephens
    C Browne, N Brassil, T Dwyer, E Guilfoyle, C Kenny

O'Loughlins
    P Deegan, H Lawlor, E O'Shea

Tullaroan
    P Walsh, T Walsh, M Keoghan

Bennettsbridge
    L Blanchfield, D Blanchfield

Danesfort
    R Hogan

Tullogher Rosbercon
    W Walsh

Comer
    C Fogarty, C Delaney, C Wallace

Freshford
    D Brennan

Glenmore
    E Murphy, A Murphy

Thomastown
    J Donnelly

G Ballycallan
    B Ryan

Rower Inistioge
    R Leahy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭C__MC

Good luck to colin fennelly
    A fine player , the bottom line is when kilkenny fed him with decent ball, he was a fine player
    2014 replay for example and 2011 final spring to mind
    And good luck to Paul Murphy a majestic corner back who attacked the ball with pure purpose
    He probably never recovered from bubbles in 16, but up to the point, he was superb

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement