Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

Can someone please post a link to Aylward retirement?
    I cannot see anything online as yet so don't want to jump the gun.
    I had heard he wasn't included in new panel.

Related
    If anyone has the new panel, please post
    Not sure why Kilkenny don't just release this sort of info, Galway did so a few days ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

It's on his Instagram

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

PwC All-Star Hurling nominations 2020 have been announced. Conor Delaney, Padraig Walsh, Conor Browne, TJ Reid and John Donnelly have been nominated. And Eoin Cody has been nominated for YHOY.

Goalkeepers - Stephen O'Keeffe (Waterford), Nickie Quaid (Limerick), Eibhear Quilligan (Clare).

Defenders - Seán Finn, Dan Morrissey, Barry Nash, Diarmaid Byrnes, Declan Hannon, Kyle Hayes (all Limerick); Conor Prunty, Shane McNulty, Calum Lyons, Tadhg de Burcá (all Waterford); Dáithí Burke, Aidan Harte, Pádraic Mannion (all Galway); Conor Delaney, Pádraig Walsh (both Kilkenny); Rory Hayes (Clare), Mark Coleman (Cork), Ronan Maher (Tipperary).

Midfielders - Will O'Donoghue, Cian Lynch (both Limerick), Jamie Barron (Waterford), Tony Kelly (Clare), Michael Breen (Tipperary), Conor Browne (Kilkenny).

Forwards - Gearóid Hegarty, Tom Morrissey, Aaron Gillane, Seamus Flanagan, Graeme Mulcahy (all Limerick); Stephen Bennett, Dessie Hutchinson, Austin Gleeson, Jack Fagan (all Waterford); Brian Concannon, Joe Canning, Conor Whelan, Cathal Mannion (all Galway); TJ Reid, John Donnelly (both Kilkenny); Donal Burke (Dublin); Cathal Malone (Clare); Shane Kingston (Cork)

PwC GAA/GPA Young Hurler of the Year nominees Jake Morris (Tipperary), Eoin Cody (Kilkenny), Iarlaith Daly (Waterford).

PwC GAA/GPA Hurler of the Year nominees Gearóid Hegarty (Limerick), Tony Kelly (Clare), Stephen Bennett (Waterford)

I think T.J. will get No. 11 and Cody will get YHOTY.

Sin é.

Tony Kelly moved into midfield to ensure he , TJ, Hegarty and Morrissey all get awards
    Not usually a fan of gerrymandering but I'd make an exception here to ensure none of them are excluded

YHOTY field is weak (Irlaith Daly did brilliantly in final but saw very little senior play in 2020 and ffs Jake Morris was playing senior back in 2018)
    Cody should get it

Conversely, the standard for HOTY is insanely high
    Ridiculous TJ not even nominated for HOTY

Bennett had a very good year no question, but not as good as TJ, no way

Waterford have really been pandered to with this award over the years
    Three times winning HOTY in past with (for me) more deserving recipients bypassed

Best of luck to Aylward. Regardless of anything else he turned up year after year and he'll always have 2015 where he was immense

Didnt he get an All Star that year.

• Advertisement

Tony Kelly moved into midfield to ensure he , TJ, Hegarty and Morrissey all get awards
    Not usually a fan of gerrymandering but I'd make an exception here to ensure none of them are excluded

YHOTY field is weak (Irlaith Daly did brilliantly in final but saw very little senior play in 2020 and ffs Jake Morris was playing senior back in 2018)
    Cody should get it

Conversely, the standard for HOTY is insanely high
    Ridiculous TJ not even nominated for HOTY

Bennett had a very good year no question, but not as good as TJ, no way

Waterford have really been pandered to with this award over the years
    Three times winning HOTY in past with (for me) more deserving recipients bypassed

Took me a long time to think who the other nominations for YHOTY would be - very scarce this year.

Not sure is thst to do with the lads bulking up and younger plarers not at that level yet or what it is? Maybe just a poor year for younger players.

Yeah, I thought T.J. would be in the running for HOTY as Hegarty will get, and deserve it, and TK was unreal. T.J. would have been in the top 3 only for KK's poor second half V Waterford. Bennett got a goal and a few points etc. to get the nod over T.J...plus the added bonus of playing in the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

Tom Morrissey ahead of both tj and Bennett. But probably doesn't matter Hegarty all day.
    Cody will be yhoty daly sub for Waterford and Morris taken off twice.

Tom Morrissey ahead of both tj and Bennett. But probably doesn't matter Hegarty all day.
    Cody will be yhoty daly sub for Waterford and Morris taken off twice.

I agree Cody should nick it, aided by my belief Morris shouldn't even be in this category

But
    Morris scored 2-3 in three games
    Cody 0-5 in his

and Cody was subbed in all three matches too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭Rosita

I agree Cody should nick it, aided by my belief Morris shouldn't even be in this category

But
    Morris scored 2-3 in three games
    Cody 0-5 in his

and Cody was subbed in all three matches too

But it is an award for players who are under 21 years and Morris was under 21 in 2020. Not sure how it can be argued he shouldn't be in the category. The eligibility is fairly clear.

Rosita wrote: »
    But it is an award for players who are under 21 years and Morris was under 21 in 2020. Not sure how it can be argued he shouldn't be in the category. The eligibility is fairly clear.

I am aware of the eligibility, as mentioned, it's just a personal gripe that a YHOT award to a player in their 3rd year playing senior county just seems a bit off

I'd make the same observation if Mullen won it again (which he may well have done if not injured)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 HammerItHome

Curious to know have many read Malachy Clerkins piece in the Irish Times last week about Cork footballers training on the beach recently?

I have heard off a colleague in work that a club in north kilkenny are back training using their gym...

If this is true how can this be allowed: 1. there is not supposed to be club training going ahead 2. The rise of infection rate in Ireland is very high right now 3. commercial gyms that are able to follow guidelines cannot open.

Anyone heard of this or any clubs gone back already? things are a lot more different than June, specifically the daily case numbers

Name the club

Name the club

Don't want to name club as I am not sure how true this is . Intermediate club

North kilkenny intermediate and have their own gym.
    ����������

as i said not sure how true it is, but if it is you would have to question what they are actually trying to achieve

with covid more rampant around these parts than ever it is questionable how a CLUB management can put players, families and their community at risk by sharing a gym

curious to know has anyone heard of any other clubs doing this? seems very pointless since we do not know how things will go for the next while, no draws made for kk championshps, and format not known yet either am i right in saying? seems management looking for 'upper hand', whatever good that is now in these times

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

as i said not sure how true it is, but if it is you would have to question what they are actually trying to achieve

with covid more rampant around these parts than ever it is questionable how a CLUB management can put players, families and their community at risk by sharing a gym

curious to know has anyone heard of any other clubs doing this? seems very pointless since we do not know how things will go for the next while, no draws made for kk championshps, and format not known yet either am i right in saying? seems management looking for 'upper hand', whatever good that is now in these times

Report it if you feel its true no point in talking on here about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Any club that is back training at this stage for matches in July is beyond stupid. The players should be looking after themselves alright and keeping a fairly decent level of fitness but there is no need to be back training 6 months before a ball will be pucked in anger. I would expect clubs to go back the end of April start of May if allowed at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Don't want to name club as I am not sure how true this is . Intermediate club

You're gonna fit right in here. This is the home of outlandish rumours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭Grats

If anyone has the new panel, please post
    Not sure why Kilkenny don't just release this sort of info, Galway did so a few days ago

I presume we're not going to be informed of this year's panel so perhaps we could draw up our own from what we hear.
    The players in that I've heard of are-
    Daragh Corcoran
    Aidan Nolan
    David Blanchfield
    Eoin O'Shea
    Cian Kenny
    Eoin Guilfoyle

Left/retired/dropped -
    Paul Murphy
    Get Aylward
    Enda Morrissey
    Bill Sheehan
    Thomas Kenny
    Luke Scanlon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Village87

Grats wrote: »
    I presume we're not going to be informed of this year's panel so perhaps we could draw up our own from what we hear.
    The players in that I've heard of are-
    Daragh Corcoran
    Aidan Nolan
    David Blanchfield
    Eoin O'Shea
    Cian Kenny
    Eoin Guilfoyle

Left/retired/dropped -
    Paul Murphy
    Get Aylward
    Enda Morrissey
    Bill Sheehan
    Thomas Kenny
    Luke Scanlon

Tom Kenny Dropped ? I thought he was a player we could really develop. Much better than Buckley in club last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

Eamonn Sweeney with a nice tribute to Paul Murphy, which he ruined at the end by claiming that Murphy's addition to the full back line launched the 4 in a row. A staggering error from a man that holds himself in such high esteem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Rasputin11 wrote: »
    Eamonn Sweeney with a nice tribute to Paul Murphy, which he ruined at the end by claiming that Murphy's addition to the full back line launched the 4 in a row. A staggering error from a man that holds himself in such high esteem.
    haven't taken Sweeney seriously in a long time, seems to have a journalistic philosophy similar to that of Joe Brolly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

So I wouldn't be a fan of cody or the county board and how they have sat on their hands over the last decade and let us get dragged back into the chasing pack.

But while we all give out, let's be constructive for once. What would we like to see implemented over the next 5 years to get us back to the top of the tree..

What would you like to see implemented at the following levels?

1. Primary schools level
    2. Secondary school level
    3. Club underage up to 16
    4. Club youth 16 to 20
    5. Intercounty 13 -17
    6. Intercounty 18-23
    7. Intercounty senior.
    8. County board level.
    9. What are you doing personally in your own club to improve the situation?
    10. What new facilities are needed in the county?

So I wouldn't be a fan of cody or the county board and how they have sat on their hands over the last decade and let us get dragged back into the chasing pack.

But while we all give out, let's be constructive for once. What would we like to see implemented over the next 5 years to get us back to the top of the tree..

What would you like to see implemented at the following levels?

1. Primary schools level
    4. Club youth 16 to 20
    5. Intercounty 13 -17
    6. Intercounty 18-23
    7. Intercounty senior.
    8. County board level.

1.Alot of kids have been stopped bringing hurls to school because of insurance and rules around playgrounds.
    This has stopped kids just messing around with a ball which was always
    A natural way of playing the game.

2.same problem in secondary school even in Kieran's the famous wall has restrictions on it now and students have been warned about use of hurls away from designated areas.
    The country schools like scoi Arigeall (ballyhale)are struggling to field teams and are amalgamating with other schools. While good hurlers
    Are not making panels in the biggerschools.
    The result is hurlers getting no chance to play in secondary school.

3 some good initiatives with black and amber days in recent years
    Cul camps also excellent. But i would look at a winter skills camp
    Plenty facilities now with Astro and flood lights if you could get some of the county panel to buy in and run during mid term.

4 s&c is now massive but gyms might not be the complete answer
    Functional movement and speed training if thought at a younger age then becomes habit.

5 overhaul of development squads.
    Replace with maybe regional squads 5 clubs forming underage teams and play in county the likes of

Mooncoin carrickshock
    Piltown mulinavat
    Sliverue ballyhale
    Kilmacow windgap
    The rower callan
    City team city team

That kind of idea and play a mini league forget about trying to win Tony forristal and arrabawn.
    Get in your s&c men and good coaching.if they are playing in a competition attendance would be good.play a round every 3 weeks.

6.5 would improve this but at that age strength and weights program
    Are becoming more important .the guys that aren't making freshers or fitz panels have to be looked after here The bar for 3rd level panels is very high and if you don't make the cut you are at a massive disadvantage.

7 I would look at a reserve team like soccer clubs in England
    Get in guys who could be developed into senior panellist. Give them programs and let them play walsh cup as their main competition.

8 https://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/columnists/arid-30997500.html

9 is a secret

10 astro and lights in dunmore full 4g pitch like in wit.

I SHOULD BE IN THE PUB I KNOW BUT FAIR CITY IS ****E

1. Primary schools level

Probably more engagement from the county coaching officers but not enough experience of this to comment

See above. From a hurling perspective I'd like to see more kids not going to Kierans but academically they're strong so hurling not the only influence

Games, games, games, games. Our competitions have too few games because clubs whinge about playing games when some players are missing on holidays or something through the summer. Give teams a competition with about 11/12 league games under the proviso that if necessary you can play 13 a side but if you can't field a team tough **** you give a walkover. Would also encourage teams to play in A because they'll be playing teams of a similar level and not just getting anihalated by the Boro.

4. Club youth 16 to 20

Exact same as above. The lack of games is incredibly frustrating.

5. Intercounty 13 -17

Revamp of the development squads to more regional set ups and a complete revamp of the coaching set up to more modern game based techniques. Essentially we need more GDOs

6. Intercounty 18-23

Million dollar question. In terms of developing underage county players I'd love to see a couple of divisional club teams to expose players from Junior clubs to a higher level of competition once they reach adult grade. North and South squad for intermediate and junior players. Would require a complete rethink of the competition structures but Kerry and Cork can do it...

7. Intercounty senior.

A bit more thought being put in. Have we an actual hurling coach in there or just a few selectors and a manager? Who's in charge of the training?

8. County board level.

Dont know enough to comment.

Edit to add from an underage perspective I'd like to see far better sharing of information. GDOs in Wexford, Dublin, Cork, Limerick and Clare share so much information on Twitter or on their websites but I've seen **** all from Kilkenny in the last 12 months. There's so many resources on Twitter in particular from individuals, not just county setups, but so many coaches aren't on Twitter so our GDOs should be circulating that kind of stuff to improve coaches throughout the county.

Underage coach within the club.

Astroturf pitch. Would also like to see the county board invest in gym equipment to help the schools teams on the proviso that each school has a number of teachers taught in proper S&C

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Village87

1. Primary schools level

Probably more engagement from the county coaching officers but not enough experience of this to comment

See above. From a hurling perspective I'd like to see more kids not going to Kierans but academically they're strong so hurling not the only influence

Games, games, games, games. Our competitions have too few games because clubs whinge about playing games when some players are missing on holidays or something through the summer. Give teams a competition with about 11/12 league games under the proviso that if necessary you can play 13 a side but if you can't field a team tough **** you give a walkover. Would also encourage teams to play in A because they'll be playing teams of a similar level and not just getting anihalated by the Boro.

4. Club youth 16 to 20

Exact same as above. The lack of games is incredibly frustrating.

5. Intercounty 13 -17

Revamp of the development squads to more regional set ups and a complete revamp of the coaching set up to more modern game based techniques. Essentially we need more GDOs

6. Intercounty 18-23

Million dollar question. In terms of developing underage county players I'd love to see a couple of divisional club teams to expose players from Junior clubs to a higher level of competition once they reach adult grade. North and South squad for intermediate and junior players. Would require a complete rethink of the competition structures but Kerry and Cork can do it...

7. Intercounty senior.

A bit more thought being put in. Have we an actual hurling coach in there or just a few selectors and a manager? Who's in charge of the training?

8. County board level.

Dont know enough to comment.

Edit to add from an underage perspective I'd like to see far better sharing of information. GDOs in Wexford, Dublin, Cork, Limerick and Clare share so much information on Twitter or on their websites but I've seen **** all from Kilkenny in the last 12 months. There's so many resources on Twitter in particular from individuals, not just county setups, but so many coaches aren't on Twitter so our GDOs should be circulating that kind of stuff to improve coaches throughout the county.

Underage coach within the club.

Astroturf pitch. Would also like to see the county board invest in gym equipment to help the schools teams on the proviso that each school has a number of teachers taught in proper S&C

Excellent post.

The greatest ever myth in Kilkenny is the development squads. There was no developments squads when JJ ,Tommy and Henry went through the underage structure. Even lads like Cha, Richie Power , John Tennyson, Micheal Fennelly and that very successful age group did not use development squads. All these players were club created players and most of them were known all around the county at 14.
    When Kilkenny were winning All Irelands the media needed something to explain the success and development squads were the easy target,much to the joy of Ned Quinn.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Castlecomer

Many posters here are missing the point of development squads.

The point of the squads is not to create a JJ or Henry, the aim is best put by the founders of the Kilkenny Development squads who themselves said it as such: “We wanted the player who’d learn most from being in a squad, who’d go back to his club and be an example to the others in his age group rather than looking down on them"

The likes of JJ/Henry/Tommy weren't those who would benefit from a development squad but rather having collective sessions to raise the overall bar and I would put forward that they were very successful in achieving that initiative.

Quote Source: https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-10045224.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭Grats

In attempting to come up with the current senior hurling panel I'm listing the players who I think are involved, by club.

Shamrocks Ballyhale
    TJ Reid, Joey Holden, Colin Fennelly, R Reid, D Mullen, A Mullen, E Cody, D Corcoran

Dicksboro
    C Buckley, A Nolan

James Stephens
    C Browne, N Brassil, T Dwyer, E Guilfoyle, C Kenny

O'Loughlins
    P Deegan, H Lawlor, E O'Shea

Tullaroan
    P Walsh, T Walsh, M Keoghan

Bennettsbridge
    L Blanchfield, D Blanchfield

Danesfort
    R Hogan

Tullogher Rosbercon
    W Walsh

Comer
    C Fogarty, C Delaney, C Wallace

Freshford
    D Brennan

Glenmore
    E Murphy, A Murphy

Thomastown
    J Donnelly

G Ballycallan
    B Ryan

Rower Inistioge
    R Leahy
    Anybody care to add/subtract?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭kksaints

Grats wrote: »
    In attempting to come up with the current senior hurling panel I'm listing the players who I think are involved, by club.

Shamrocks Ballyhale
    TJ Reid, Joey Holden, Colin Fennelly, R Reid, D Mullen, A Mullen, E Cody, D Corcoran

Dicksboro
    C Buckley, A Nolan

James Stephens
    C Browne, N Brassil, T Dwyer, E Guilfoyle, C Kenny

O'Loughlins
    P Deegan, H Lawlor, E O'Shea

Tullaroan
    P Walsh, T Walsh, M Keoghan

Bennettsbridge
    L Blanchfield, D Blanchfield

Danesfort
    R Hogan