Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poppy

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭zapitastas

Every thing must be taken in context, and of its time. In WWI, 1.1 million of our fellow countrymen died. To dismiss that fact, those men, and ignore, or even complain about their commemoration, is utterly ugly and disrespectful.

People dont have to wear the poppy, and I wouldnt advocate or expect all to do so. But it should be respected for what it is, a significant proportion of Irish people in the south probably should be wearing them, and the vast majority should be generally supportive of the commemoration whether they actually wear it or not.
    No one should be against it. Anyone who does, needs a serious think about who they are as human beings.

How is the irexit campaign coming along? Is the return of the empire in sight yet or is it still just over the horizon. Tally ho old Chum

• Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭Odhinn

You know perfectly well the point I'm making and being pedantic for the sake of it.

I'm aware of the point you were trying to make and am explaining how its totally wrong.

The French were just as bad as the British for pillaging those particular countries.

And when we are expected to buy goods that go to French soldiers who engaged in those acts we can go into that in detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Odhinn wrote: »
    I'm aware of the point you were trying to make and am explaining how its totally wrong.

And when we are expected to buy goods that go to French soldiers who engaged in those acts we can go into that in detail.

Nobody's expecting you to buy anything, relax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

zapitastas wrote: »
    How is the irexit campaign coming along? Is the return of the empire in sight yet or is it still just over the horizon. Tally ho old Chum

Irexit has no chance. Breunion is the viable option, but being kept in a holding pattern for the moment, to see how the Brexit deal progresses.

The timing is askew, and we didnt move quickly enough post June 23rd 2916, but imaging the symbolic strength if a new relationship with the UK was being forged, and we were to have had the 11/11/2018 closing poppy display at Dublin Castle as the companion piece, end of the war one, to the 2014 Tower one :

tower-of-london-poppy-tribute1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Aegir wrote: »
    I live there.

, only joking

And in all your life living there have you ever, ever, in your life ever heard any local person say "totes morto"?

If you did, it was probably a visiting northsider.

• Advertisement

JayZeus wrote: »
    If you actually want to be an Irish citizen, you can live in, get a job in, pay your taxes in and contribute your fair share to the Republic of Ireland, at least for some part of your life.

Otherwise you can stay in Northern Ireland and be a British Citizen with an Irish passport, huffing and puffing blowhard, bitching about royal this that and the other.

Only in your idiosyncratic conception of 'Irish citizen' is this definition the reality. You keep dreaming,while the rest of us can accept the international reality that Raghnall Mac Dónaill of the Glens of Antrim, a son of natives of that place, is as entitled to Irish citizenship as Eoghan Ó Murchú of west Cork, a son of natives of that place, is. Even as unionist/partitionist wishful thinking goes, it's patently silly to deny this reality.

JayZeus wrote: »
    Do whatever you like. My issue is with Northern Irish nationalists who think their views and aspirations are representative of the people of the Republic of Ireland, when they’re generally not. Times have changed.

Em, Given that "Northern Irish nationalists" are a tiny section of British loyalism which, as the description suggests, believes there should be a separate Northern Ireland "nation", I would be fairly certain they wouldn't believe their views to be representative of many people, if any, in the 26 Counties.

In WWI, 1.1 million of our fellow countrymen died. To dismiss that fact, those men, and ignore, or even complain about their commemoration, is utterly ugly and disrespectful.... But it should be respected for what it is, a significant proportion of Irish people in the south probably should be wearing them, and the vast majority should be generally supportive of the commemoration whether they actually wear it or not.
    No one should be against it. Anyone who does, needs a serious think about who they are as human beings.

What a glorious piss take that was. Anybody who wears the British poppy is supporting/"honouring" centuries of British mass murder, colonial occupation and cultural genocide in this country and across the world. So, yeah, you're going to find as many supporters for your poppy in Ireland as you'll find supporters of your above "Ireland must rejoin the UK" campaign, which is apposite.

A lot of men went as Irish volunteers but not ALL Irish men fought under that banner.

The figure is a paltry 24,000 National Volunteers answered Redmond's call and volunteered for WWI. The total figure for the entire war. Nothing to do with fighting under a "banner". You're just filling in blanks with what you'd like to be the case.
    Most Irish men believed going to war was the right thing to do for Ireland in the long term, Volunteer or no.

Your evidence for this nonsense is what, precisely? You have no evidence, of course, because it's out of the same Fantasy British Empire playbook all the apologists use.
    And then many more (usually younger) men went for a bit of adventure with the general consensus being the war would be over by Christmas.

Actually, that was not the "general consensus" - just another myth. If you bothered to read the Myles Dungan book I linked to, you'd find this remark: 'Contrary to popular mythology few actually believed that the war would be "over by Christmas", though many thought it would end within 12 months.' (Enlighten yourself)
    And the Rising was patently unpopular at the time

Wrong again, another myth. This time read the link please, starting on the paragraph: 'Public opinion in Ireland was reported hostile to the Rising...

Honestly I really cannot understand the continued demonization of the brave Irish men who fought in WWI

Eh, maybe because they fought for an Empire, and thus for the subjugation of other peoples? And for the Empire that was occupying Ireland? And as for "brave", they could have stayed at home and fought for Irish independence but they figured joining the biggest empire in world history would be a safer bet, and one for which they would be very well paid. Not sounding very "brave" now, is it.

That you cannot understand moral and political opposition to such people is a quite remarkable disconnect.
    hopefully the younger generations coming up will be given a more balanced discourse in this particular and proud aspect in Irish history

Nothing proud about imperialism and just because you think beating the shíte out of some "backward" natives under the guise of "civilisation" is worthy of commemorating doesn't mean it's anything like a mainstream view.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Irexit has no chance. Breunion is the viable option, but being kept in a holding pattern for the moment, to see how the Brexit deal progresses.

The timing is askew, and we didnt move quickly enough post June 23rd 2916, but imaging the symbolic strength if a new relationship with the UK was being forged, and we were to have had the 11/11/2018 closing poppy display at Dublin Castle as the companion piece, end of the war one, to the 2014 Tower one :

tower-of-london-poppy-tribute1.jpg
    Is that Windsor?

Absolutely stunning picture.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Em, Given that "Northern Irish nationalists" are a tiny section of British loyalism which, as the description suggests, believes there should be a separate Northern Ireland "nation", I would be fairly certain they wouldn't believe their views to be representative of many people, if any, in the 26 Counties.

Go away with that toss, you know exactly what they meant.

Patww79 wrote: »
    Go away with that toss, you know exactly what they meant.

Eh, if you want to contend that 'Irish nationalists in Northern Ireland' and 'Northern Irish nationalists' are the same thing then go for it. Most of the rest of us, who understand the language, can see that the last thing the former are is the latter.

Eh, if you want to contend that 'Irish nationalists in Northern Ireland' and 'Northern Irish nationalists' are the same thing then go for it. Most of the rest of us, who understand the language, can see that the last thing the former are is the latter.

So you honestly think that the poster meant what you interpreted it as? Like **** you did.

He's right though anyway. A lot of "Irish" Nationalists in Northern Ireland need to realise that a lot of real Irish people don't give a tiny rats arse about them or what they want.

And in all your life living there have you ever, ever, in your life ever heard any local person say "totes morto"?

If you did, it was probably a visiting northsider.

Aah come on, you need to keep up with the lingo bud.

https://www.collegetimes.com/entertainment/d4-slang-146097

A lot of "Irish" Nationalists in Northern Ireland need to realise that a lot of real Irish people don't give a tiny rats arse about them or what they want.

Given you're clearly not a "real Irish person" in the commonly understood meaning of Irishness how would you know that?

Given you're clearly not a "real Irish person" in the commonly understood meaning of Irishness ?

Which is what?

Which is what?

Eh, I don't know but perhaps the one where Irish people are from, eh, that little island called Ireland?

Eh, I don't know but perhaps the one where Irish people are from, eh, that little island called Ireland?

Incorrect, islands aren't automatically countries. You lot can never seem to get that (or don't want to most likely).

And have the same views as you do, obviously.

Which from your posting history tells me that they must

Never speak English
    Never listen to anything other than traditional Irish music
    Be able to trace their Irish heritage back to the Stone Age
    Play no sports not governed by the GAA
    Only to go Catholic state schools with no fees

Have I missed anything?

Oh yeah, hate the Brits and everything British.

Never speak English

Have I missed anything?

That's some extraordinary chip on your shoulder to create all that in response to a straightforward question. All this poppy glorification for your crowd of warmongering mass murdering British colonial thugs is evidently putting your anti-Irish/republican defences on a high.

• Advertisement

So you honestly think that the poster meant what you interpreted it as? Like **** you did.

He's right though anyway. A lot of "Irish" Nationalists in Northern Ireland need to realise that a lot of real Irish people don't give a tiny rats arse about them or what they want.

If you are true to your word Pat shouldn't you be campaigning for the GAA to be made a 26 county only organization?

Incorrect, islands aren't automatically countries. You lot can never seem to get that (or don't want to most likely).

Well, Pat. Your conception of Irishness as something which only exists since 6 December 1922 and only applies to the British-created 26-county statelet isn't even shared by the Anglican Church of Ireland, the Presbyterian Church in Ireland, the Methodist Church in Ireland or indeed the Grand Orange Lodge of Ireland - never mind the Roman Catholic Church of Ireland or, well, the vast, vast majority of other organisations here. Perhaps it's you who is out of step here? Well, you and John Bruton? Perhaps you should call your odd concept of "Irishness" by the more accurate "Free Statism"?

If you are true to your word Pat shouldn't you be campaigning for the GAA to be made a 26 county only organization?

I'll never be campaigning for anything (unless there was ever a vote here about joining with NI) but indeed I wouldn't be adverse to the idea. I'd see a wall built along our border if I'd my way.

Well, Pat. Your conception of Irishness as something which only exists since 6 December 1922 and only applies to the British-created 26-county statelet isn't even shared by the Anglican Church of Ireland, the Presbyterian Church in Ireland, the Methodist Church in Ireland or indeed the Grand Orange Lodge of Ireland - never mind the Roman Catholic Church of Ireland or, well, the vast, vast majority of other organisations here. Perhaps it's you who is out of step here? Well, you and John Bruton? Perhaps you should call your odd concept of "Irishness" by the more accurate "Free Statism"?

None of that makes an island a country.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭Odhinn

I'll never be campaigning for anything (unless there was ever a vote here about joining with NI) but indeed I wouldn't be adverse to the idea. I'd see a wall built along our border if I'd my way.

Why? It's grand as it is. Going back to walls, patrols and the rest is a backward step.

None of that makes an island a country.

Thanks for that. I got a boat out to McDermott's Castle on that island in Lough Key years ago and up until this very moment I had thought all .23 hectares of it was a separate country. I'd be lost without these ground-breaking insights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭0cp71eyxkb94qf

This post has been deleted.

Thanks for that. I got a boat out to McDermott's Castle on that island in Lough Key years ago and up until this very moment I had thought all .23 hectares of it was a separate country. I'd be lost without these ground-breaking insights.

The people living in areas like the Drummully Salient wouldn't be impressed with Pat's proposed wall either in fairness. How would they get in and out?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Never speak English

Have I missed anything?

You can't argue with armchair republicans and their ilk who take their understanding of recent Irish history from film nonsense like Michael Collins and the odd contextually removed sentence sourced from Google books.

Don't you or anyone else waste the rest of your Sunday with this ****e.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭0cp71eyxkb94qf

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement